Pregnancy #39 No hanky panky only kicks in the fa…

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s brilliant, I’d love to combi feed if you have any advice on how you managed it 🥰
I planned on breastfeeding but did buy bottles and a prep machine etc incase it didn’t happen.
She was born borderline prem and I just had no milk at all for days, I was trying and trying but nothing came out so I started her on formula. Then when my milk came in I would put her on the boob for the night feed say 1am ish then an early morning feed. She had bottles during the day. This probably sounds backwards and not the best advice as midwives used to tell me off and say I was confusing the baby blah blah but do you know what it worked for us and she’s now a healthy cheeky wild almost 4 year old 😂 I’ve got 9 weeks left, not sure when you’re due but I’ll keep you posted how I get on here as I’d like to try the same this time x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve never heard of appointments with anaesthetists, is this for those having elective c sections?
Mine was for BMi too 😊
They basically try to get an idea of making sure your weight doesn't affect your breathing and things. Like they asked if I snore and stuff.
They also go through the risks of it being harder to do epidurals and stuff too

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I planned on breastfeeding but did buy bottles and a prep machine etc incase it didn’t happen.
She was born borderline prem and I just had no milk at all for days, I was trying and trying but nothing came out so I started her on formula. Then when my milk came in I would put her on the boob for the night feed say 1am ish then an early morning feed. She had bottles during the day. This probably sounds backwards and not the best advice as midwives used to tell me off and say I was confusing the baby blah blah but do you know what it worked for us and she’s now a healthy cheeky wild almost 4 year old 😂 I’ve got 9 weeks left, not sure when you’re due but I’ll keep you posted how I get on here as I’d like to try the same this time x
I’ve never understood this “you’ll confuse the baby!” thing. They’re getting food in, they’re programmed to get food in, surely unless you can’t really confuse them?!

Reactions: 7
I know, @WeepingCassandra I know the breastfeeding support people mean well but they’re so overwhelming and I look back and can’t believe the pressure they put me under, my mate had a baby last week and she said they’ve rang her 3 times a day to see how she’s getting on, I remember the day I got home after 6 days in hospital I was just biting into a pizza and they knocked on my door and asked me to stop what I was doing and show them how I breastfed so they could check, this time I’m politely
declining their support and blocking their number if they call x

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve never understood this “you’ll confuse the baby!” thing. They’re getting food in, they’re programmed to get food in, surely unless you can’t really confuse them?!
I don’t think nipple confusion is a real thing once breastfeeding and latch has been established. Breastfeeding is much harder work for them so they can get lazy and get a bottle preference but the way midwives and health visitors demonise combi feeding is awful. I think it often pushes people to just formula feed as the help and info isn’t there.
My first was 8 weeks at Christmas and I wanted to have a drink. I asked my health visitor about expressing and she just told me to wait 2 hours after my glass of wine 🙄

• Heart
I don’t think nipple confusion is a real thing once breastfeeding and latch has been established. Breastfeeding is much harder work for them so they can get lazy and get a bottle preference but the way midwives and health visitors demonise combi feeding is awful. I think it often pushes people to just formula feed as the help and info isn’t there.
My first was 8 weeks at Christmas and I wanted to have a drink. I asked my health visitor about expressing and she just told me to wait 2 hours after my glass of wine 🙄
I genuinely didn’t mind formula feeding so that’s prob why I was so laid back if that makes sense?! But I can see why people who really want to breastfeed can struggle

Haha yes mine was 12 weeks old on Christmas Day, I fed her myself for the last time 4am Christmas morning then I was done 😂 🍷 x

• Heart
Love this, amazing that you persisted and it paid off! I despise all the textbook one size fits all approach with babies, safety issues are different but feeding is so specific to each baby that writing methods off so easily is rubbish so good on you! I have bought bottles, steriliser etc on the off chance I can’t breastfeed, there is zero pressure either way but if I can combi feed I will…it’s great to hear first hand experience of how you managed it. I’ve got 12 weeks left so I’ll be hopefully not long after you 🙌🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 4
After hearing they forgot to even refer weepingcassandra for dating scan I think I’m going to double check at my 16w midwife appointment if I was even referred for my 20w scan. They said they did it at my dating scan but it’s been over 2 weeks now and I’ve not had any letters about it.. the letter for my dating scan was sent to me literally a couple of days after my booking appointment. So I assumed this would also be just as fast 🙃

Reactions: 5
I combo fed from day 3 or 4. It absolutely saved our sanity all round. She had one bottle before bed about 10pm and I would use that time to try and pump and increase my milk. I’ve noticed a few friends who BF exclusive without bottles for a couple of months can find when they want to give baby a bottle (e.g bc they have a brunch date or prep for childcare) the baby won’t take a bottle at all.

• Heart
Is anyone else going to be a single mum or is a single mum already? My other half has told me he now wants nothing to do with me and the baby as he isn’t ready to be a dad (he’s 27 and we didn’t plan this) I’m scared to go through the pregnancy alone but I’m determined to do my best.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Is anyone else going to be a single mum or is a single mum already? My other half has told me he now wants nothing to do with me and the baby as he isn’t ready to be a dad (he’s 27 and we didn’t plan this) I’m scared to go through the pregnancy alone but I’m determined to do my best.
My partner and I split when my son was a few weeks old. We were both young, I was a single mum for 5 years before we rekindled, he had just joined the army as our son was born so he missed an awful lot of his first years. So he wasn't there.
It's hard, I won't lie to you, but you quickly fall into your own routine and do what works for you & baby. Every milestone they hit, you get an over whelming sense of achievement because you know that's all you, that's 100% all of your effort.
Don't be afraid to take all the help you are offered, don't feel guilty for needing time for you or taking time for yourself and leaving baby with a trusted friend or family member.
The biggest piece of advice I can offer is, don't shut him out, he's walked away now but is that through fear? Or is he just a piece of sh*t?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just passed my gestational diabetes test! Blood pressure is good, barely gained any weight, baby on track- heart thumping feet kicking. Probably the healthiest I've been in years to be honest what with the good eating and daily exercise. I have a high BMI and today my midwife was telling me about these extra appointments ill need, more scans and a meeting with an anesthesiologist and on the one hand I'm glad that there is so much care being taken for my babies and my health, but on the other hand I am, touch wood, so far fit as a fiddle and it feels a little excessive

• Heart
My partner and I split when my son was a few weeks old. We were both young, I was a single mum for 5 years before we rekindled, he had just joined the army as our son was born so he missed an awful lot of his first years. So he wasn't there.
It's hard, I won't lie to you, but you quickly fall into your own routine and do what works for you & baby. Every milestone they hit, you get an over whelming sense of achievement because you know that's all you, that's 100% all of your effort.
Don't be afraid to take all the help you are offered, don't feel guilty for needing time for you or taking time for yourself and leaving baby with a trusted friend or family member.
The biggest piece of advice I can offer is, don't shut him out, he's walked away now but is that through fear? Or is he just a piece of sh*t?
Definitely fear but a bit of both I think. He told me he doesn’t want a child and I’ve made the decision for him because I don’t want to have an abortion (didn’t realise I could impregnate myself). I understand its difficult but for him but I know boys 10 years younger than him who stepped up to responsibly when they became young dads. It’s a shame because over the weekend he was excited, kissing my stomach, talking about names with me and now he’s just gone cold.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Definitely fear but a bit of both I think. He told me he doesn’t want a child and I’ve made the decision for him because I don’t want to have an abortion (didn’t realise I could impregnate myself). I understand its difficult but for him but I know boys 10 years younger than him who stepped up to responsibly when they became young dads. It’s a shame because over the weekend he was excited, kissing my stomach, talking about names with me and now he’s just gone cold.
I know its really hard, my partner was exactly the same when our son was born we'd both just turned 20 & he was a surprise baby.
What ever emotions you're feeling, anger, disgust, hate, heartbreak they're all completely natural.
I know he says he doesn't want to be in babies life right now and naturally you want to protect the baby from that, but it could all change, keep that communication there, let him know when you have appointments, let him know if your scheduled a delivery or when you do go into labour, communicate it once, leave the choice with him. If he shows he shows, if he doesn't you have the proof that despite everything he has made you feel you have tried for your child.
Make sure he also pays his fair share, like you say you didn't impregnate yourself, regardless of how he feels a child is both parents financial responsibility, he needs to get his hand in his pocket and provide regardless.
I'm sorry your going through this x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
20 weeks pregnant going to be a single mam whilst working full time x

• Heart
Just passed my gestational diabetes test! Blood pressure is good, barely gained any weight, baby on track- heart thumping feet kicking. Probably the healthiest I've been in years to be honest what with the good eating and daily exercise. I have a high BMI and today my midwife was telling me about these extra appointments ill need, more scans and a meeting with an anesthesiologist and on the one hand I'm glad that there is so much care being taken for my babies and my health, but on the other hand I am, touch wood, so far fit as a fiddle and it feels a little excessive
I felt exactly like this yesterday after my midwife appointment. We were discussing the growth scan I had last week where the idiot consultant scared me with the "baby is very small" comments. She said she can't understand why they're even giving me growth scans at this point, because my consultant has requested them from 32 weeks and I'm only 28 weeks now.

I've not been told anything about meeting an anaesthetist yet, but I'm seriously considering another section, so I expect it could become a possibility.

I appreciate the care and attention, but I do feel like I've spent half my pregnancy sat in waiting rooms.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
After hearing they forgot to even refer weepingcassandra for dating scan I think I’m going to double check at my 16w midwife appointment if I was even referred for my 20w scan. They said they did it at my dating scan but it’s been over 2 weeks now and I’ve not had any letters about it.. the letter for my dating scan was sent to me literally a couple of days after my booking appointment. So I assumed this would also be just as fast 🙃
From my experience I would say if you haven't had a letter then assume nothing is booked! After my 12 week appt the Dr said to ring up the next day to chase the GTT/anaesthetist/20 week scan but they emailed the letters through before I had a chance 🤣

Reactions: 2
I combo fed from day 3 or 4. It absolutely saved our sanity all round. She had one bottle before bed about 10pm and I would use that time to try and pump and increase my milk. I’ve noticed a few friends who BF exclusive without bottles for a couple of months can find when they want to give baby a bottle (e.g bc they have a brunch date or prep for childcare) the baby won’t take a bottle at all.
This is what I’m doing too, I don’t have much of a routine when I pump yet ideally I’d do it in the morning when supply is highest. But it’s been so good being able to do a bottle when we go out as I’m not confident breast feeding in public, or when I’m touched out and need a break. Not sure what my long term game is yet 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 2
i've just had a proper read into breastfeeding and what the common struggles are / what to look out for. no idea what my approach will be but i think i've reached the stage where i'm just gonna wing it and hope for the best lol

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.