Pregnancy #36 Mother In Laws… please shut up!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone signpost me to some clear information about buying prams? I’m a bit confused as it seems what you need from birth to 6m and then 6m and beyond is different and I’m wondering if it’s just the carrier part that is different (as in allows baby to lie flat) rather than the whole frame? And is the carrier part used as a separate car seat?

If so, is it worth buying second hand given you only use for 6m or are they cheap enough for it not to matter?

Also, apologies if this has been provided before (and I’d be happy to contribute to a Wiki of useful resources to direct others towards) but does anyone know of a good list of essential equipment needed for your first baby. I feel pretty clueless and don’t want to be directed into buying things we don’t need or won’t use.

Thanks all x
Prams are waaaay more complicated than I ever though possible. A lot depends on your circumstances. If you drive it needs to fit in your boot. If you walk a lot you need decent suspension and good quality wheels. If you use public transport a lot your best with something compact and easily folded if necessary.

Babies under 6 months (or before they came sit up unaided) should lie completely flat as it's better for their spines.

We decided against a travel system with a big carry cot and separate seat unit because we didn't have the space to store one whilst the other was in use. However, I know some carry cots are suitable for overnight sleeping so would have dual use.

We bought a pramette, where the seat unit converts carry cot style by fastening and unfastening straps underneath. We got a good 18 months exclusive use from that, then bought an umbrella fold buggy and alternated between the 2 until he was walking full time.

I'd suggest visiting some pram shops and having a play about. Independents tend to be better as they often offer lay away plans and will store the pram until you're ready to collect it. If you have a car make sure you try it in your boot coz some aren't very compact when folded.

Reactions: 3
Can anyone signpost me to some clear information about buying prams? I’m a bit confused as it seems what you need from birth to 6m and then 6m and beyond is different and I’m wondering if it’s just the carrier part that is different (as in allows baby to lie flat) rather than the whole frame? And is the carrier part used as a separate car seat?

If so, is it worth buying second hand given you only use for 6m or are they cheap enough for it not to matter?

Also, apologies if this has been provided before (and I’d be happy to contribute to a Wiki of useful resources to direct others towards) but does anyone know of a good list of essential equipment needed for your first baby. I feel pretty clueless and don’t want to be directed into buying things we don’t need or won’t use.

Thanks all x
Usually people tend to go for a travel system which comes with the car seat, carrycot and then the seat.

Some prams like the one I got, converts from a carrycot to a pushchair.
However, I find they tend to grow out of the carrycot before 6 months.
With my second, she was in the seat at 3 months.

Attachments

Reactions: 1

Thanks all x
My local baby shop was absolutely amazing for talking through prams and travel systems. I walked in and told them I wouldn't be purchasing that day and they still gave me an hour of their time explaining different brands, different features to watch out for. That's where I would start if I was you. If you pick it out in person you can always search online for deals then.

Thanks all x
What everyone said above is accurate. And what suits one family won’t suit another, and sometimes you don’t realise what you need until baby is here & integrated into your lifestyle. Definitely make sure it fits in your boot & your able to lift it in & out. Some pram frames are really heavy & bulky. Best bet is to go to baby shops & play around with them before you’re too heavily pregnant & not able. I made that mistake.

I bought a 2 in 1 pram so basically the lie flat bassinet can be tilted then to be a sit up seat. It came with car seat also. We didn’t spend too much on it thankfully as My baby was larger than average & I only got 6 months out of the car seat, about 3 months of the lie flat bassinet before he was sitting up looking around him & I got rid of the entire thing at 8 months for a lightweight stroller as my back was broken with the weight of him & lugging the pram about.

I have felt my baby move ALL DAY today I’m not even exaggerating. It’s constantly been wriggling about to the point I feel sick. I’m 21 weeks, I know a stop in movements is something to be worried about but could this be any cause for concern?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone looked into or ever used a baby carrier before? I’ll potentially have to be getting the bus a few weeks after I’ve given birth to pick my daughter up from school and I think a baby carrier might be easier than getting on the bus with a pram.
My only concern is keeping him warm, it’ll be October when he’s born, will he be able to wear a pram suit in a baby carrier?
Another question is where do you start? There’s so many different kinds and there’s a massive range in prices. Surely one that is £20 won’t be as good as the ones that are £130 but I couldn’t tell you the difference 🤷🏼‍♀️
They can be super useful! I had a ring sling which I struggled with and my son didn’t really take to. But he did so well in a structured carrier (baby bjorn) and was easy to put on quickly (and both my husband and I could use it). I did find I couldn’t use the carrier for long periods of time so was more of a pram person myself. But great on the bus!

This time round I have bought a fabric wrap hoping I have a bit more success this time and will make it easier for taking my toddler to take care up two flights of stairs

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have felt my baby move ALL DAY today I’m not even exaggerating. It’s constantly been wriggling about to the point I feel sick. I’m 21 weeks, I know a stop in movements is something to be worried about but could this be any cause for concern?
I don’t think too much movement is a cause for concern, but maybe ring your midwife just to double check? I’m also 21 weeks and baby is a fidget, I’ve deffo felt him get STRONG over the past week to the post his movements can take my breath away and make me a bit queasy, but then I panic if he doesnt move as much! Hope you’re ok!

• Heart
No but if you’re concerned speak to a midwife. It’s normal that some days they move more than others especially as they grow. You might have just eaten something maybe, I had flaming hot monster munch once and he was off all night 🤣

• Heart
my most recent baby used to do this from 16 weeks onwards. People never believed me but he was on the move all the time! It was normal for me but if you're concerned speak to your midwife x

• Heart
No but if you’re concerned speak to a midwife. It’s normal that some days they move more than others especially as they grow. You might have just eaten something maybe, I had flaming hot monster munch once and he was off all night 🤣
Yeah I was going to say maybe if you had caffeine or something sugary it could have given them a little energy burst?!

Hi all,
I’m due to go to my next scan and MIL is insisting she joins us for the scan. I said probably wasn’t doable as covid restrictions are still in place (always my go to excuse). But MIL explains that work friend went with her daughter and partner just last week🙄 it’s causing issues with my boyfriend as I obviously don’t want her to come as it’s an experience I feel we should share as a couple but the main reason is we want the gender to be a surprise but MIL wants to know if she’s getting the girl she’s always wanted (my boyfriend has an identical twin brother). She keeps joking that she’ll ask and keep it a secret from us which I wouldn’t put past her! But need thoughts? Am I being too sensitive over this?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Soo my bf said I need to stop buying clothes for baby and start buying other things but I have no idea where to start! Is it too early to buy nappies, bath stuff etc? I’m 22 weeks. I’m scared to buy like a bouncer etc just now it probably sounds stupid but im still a bit scared something could happen 😩

Soo my bf said I need to stop buying clothes for baby and start buying other things but I have no idea where to start! Is it too early to buy nappies, bath stuff etc? I’m 22 weeks. I’m scared to buy like a bouncer etc just now it probably sounds stupid but im still a bit scared something could happen 😩
if something was to go wrong I highly doubt the things you bought would be at the front of your mind!😘

Hi all,
I’m due to go to my next scan and MIL is insisting she joins us for the scan. I said probably wasn’t doable as covid restrictions are still in place (always my go to excuse). But MIL explains that work friend went with her daughter and partner just last week🙄 it’s causing issues with my boyfriend as I obviously don’t want her to come as it’s an experience I feel we should share as a couple but the main reason is we want the gender to be a surprise but MIL wants to know if she’s getting the girl she’s always wanted (my boyfriend has an identical twin brother). She keeps joking that she’ll ask and keep it a secret from us which I wouldn’t put past her! But need thoughts? Am I being too sensitive over this?
Tell her to get stuffed. Don't tell her the time and go without her. Tell your boyfriend to grow a pair and tell her it's not happening.

If she does end up going, I doubt the hospital will tell her the gender without your permission, so I wouldn't worry there.

Our hospital are saying nobody other than birth partners can attend any appointments, and you can now have 2 of those. I know it varies by area, but maybe her friend was allowed to go because she's listed as a birth partner to her daughter?

Reactions: 8
I guess! I just worry kind of feel like it’s too good to be true or I’m tempting fate.
im Exactly the same but I’ve really tried to change my mindset and Enjoy the moment! I told myself I wasn’t buying anything until 20 weeks but my friend has just bought her pram at 16 weeks after finding out the gender and she is over the moon! it’s so sad how we spend our pregnancies scared 😩x

Reactions: 6
Nope! We started getting them in the weekly shop, just a pack or two and we’ve got them stocked up for the first few weeks. I bought clothes nearly every week, I’ve got 4 big bags full I’ve just washed 🤣!!
Just buy little bits at a time so it’s not too overwhelming

Hi all,
Just try be blunt about it in the nicest way. You want you and your partner only there and you’ll show her the scan photos as soon as you can. I understand it’s her grandchild but she has to understand it’s your baby and you have the final say

Reactions: 5
Did any of you experience painful cramping early on? Think I’m about 6+4 and getting what feels like “period pain” most days, it’s so bad just now it’s woken me up. This is my fourth pregnancy but never had a good outcome, and I didn’t have this with the rest. Trying to be optimistic and hoping this is a good sign that this one is the one that will be ok, but I’m also on progesterone so worried it’s my body trying to push something out but the progesterone is masking it. Got a scan on Thursday but terrified it’ll be bad news like all the previous pregnancies.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Did any of you experience painful cramping early on? Think I’m about 6+4 and getting what feels like “period pain” most days, it’s so bad just now it’s woken me up. This is my fourth pregnancy but never had a good outcome, and I didn’t have this with the rest. Trying to be optimistic and hoping this is a good sign that this one is the one that will be ok, but I’m also on progesterone so worried it’s my body trying to push something out but the progesterone is masking it. Got a scan on Thursday but terrified it’ll be bad news like all the previous pregnancies.
Yes I had really bad period like cramps and I think @Nayalove96 did too. Your uterus has doubled in size by 7 weeks so it makes sense it feels like period pain. They can be really scary and you gave more reason to worry. First trimester worries we’re discussed a bit on the last thread and this one so might be worth reading back. Good luck with your scan 💗

Reactions: 4
Yes I had really bad period like cramps and I think @Nayalove96 did too. Your uterus has doubled in size by 7 weeks so it makes sense it feels like period pain. They can be really scary and you gave more reason to worry. First trimester worries we’re discussed a bit on the last thread and this one so might be worth reading back. Good luck with your scan 💗
yep and I still do sometimes! One time at around 6 weeks they were so bad I was convinced that I was going to misscarry that night! 💓

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.