Pregnancy #36 Mother In Laws… please shut up!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've got my 16 week midwife appointment tomorrow where we get to listen to the baby's heartbeat. I'm anxious because of the weather over the last few days (and our office has reached temperatures of high 30 degrees!) that it has affected the baby in some way 😭 I've kept hydrated and cool as I can (multiple fans on me and loose clothing) but I'm just a big anxious ball 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi all, first post on this thread and I'm starting with a wee bit of a rant so apologies! Called my healthcare provider this morning to get the ball rolling with prenatal care, and the lady taking my call asked when my last period was. I told her, and she says "Oh, so you're only 4 weeks 5 days. Wow, that's very, very early. Those pregnancy tests are good these days huh" and a few other unnecessarily rude comments over the course of the call.

Now I'm probably feeling a tad over-sensitive, but I was so sad and deflated after that call. I felt like an idiot for calling so soon. The last time I was pregnant though (2020) I had a MMC, and I don't want to go through the same experience I had with that again, so yes I am trying to be proactive and make sure I get the 6 week check I didn't get last time. I'm living in the US at the mo, so the routine is a little different than my experience at home in the UK.

Sorry again to begin with complaints, I'm really happy to join you all here and look forward to catching up on the posts!
Some people are just plain rude. I had a similar encounter when I booked an early private scan. I came straight off the pill and somehow got pregnant straightaway, no period. So I wanted confirmation of how far along I was.

The sonographer was really rude and dismissive. Saying things like ‘you might not even be pregnant’. Despite the four positive pregnancy tests and no period in sight and some early sickness. Lo and behold she done the internal scan and there was the little sac with the heartbeat!

I’ve had a miscarriage before and just really wanted the reassurance. I even put that in the notes when I was booking but she still couldn’t bring herself to be polite. Well she soon shut up when we saw the little sac on the monitor.

It really costs nothing for people to be kind and compassionate especially when you’ve been through loss before and are feeling anxious.

I hope everyone else at your future appointments are more kind and caring. X

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Congratulations on your pregnancy first of all! I have found the whole process of reporting a pregnancy and having medical interactions to be very different from what I expected. I’ve not heard of a 6 week check - is this an American thing? I was told by my GP surgery to self-assess to the midwifery service - followed a recorded message with instructions and then had to self-refer to the local hospital. My first midwife appointment was a call at 8 weeks to give some medical background and then a f2f appointment the following week to take some bloods, urine sample etc.

If you feel the call didn’t go as you’d hoped/planned perhaps you can call back and be clear about your medical history and why you’d like a bit more support and reassurance. Often in the U.K. we feel limited in what we can ask for because the service is so overstretched, but in the US you’re paying for it so be a little pushy if you need to be.
Thank you! Yes it is, they do a trans-vaginal scan at around the 6 week mark here which is not something I'm desperate to do, but if I'd had it last time (I discovered my last pregnancy while visiting home in UK, so didn't seek medical care until I went back to the US) we'd have discovered the MMC much earlier than we did. Healthcare is as you say much more business-like here in the US so I'm trying not to think too much into a rude call handler. Just could've done without it when I'm already a bundle of fear and anxiousness 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.