Pregnancy #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey ladies, just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation pram wise as me, I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I already have a 15 month old, I'm debating if I'm going to need a double buggy? My little boy has been walking confidently since 9 months and when he's out the pram he hates to get back in, I'm just worried if I stick to a single and he gets tired am I in for a meltdown 😂 I thought about a buggy board but Ive never used one any advice? Thanks (my son will be 21 months when baby is here)
I have 20 months between child 1 and 2, and 19 months between child 2 and 3 and 2 years between child 3 and 4. We never had a double buggy, the only one who actually liked being in a buggy was child 1, but she took fine to not having one when the baby came along. So we figured if the one who loved a buggy dealt well with it, the ones who preferred to walk would be fine too 🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
Antenatal classes teach things like how to bath baby, how to safely put them down, current advice like on back, feet to foot, empty cot etc ask your hospital. My trust has a whole course of videos online. (Some are terrible)

The amount of people who don’t do what’s recommended is unreal though. Just look at Amazon reviews on say baby mattresses. ‘It wasn’t very soft so I doubled them up and added a pillow’ with a picture of a quilt and cuddly toys in the cot. The midwife/HV and books would have you believe this is guaranteed death but it’s got 100 ‘helpful’ votes. It’s so stressful to me to even look at because it goes against everything you’re told. But obviously babies are far more robust than they’d have you believe.

I have no idea but these are some things I didn’t know but do now that were surprising to me...
- perfect prep machines that are on a lot of the ‘must have’ lists are not advised by NHS because they don’t use enough hot water to kill bacteria and can be a breeding ground for more.
- Sleepy heads,baby nests too are always recommended by mums. Not by NHS or lullaby trust for suffocation risk.
- Apparently babies noses will squash completely flat as the bone in there isn’t formed and that’s why it’s so easy to suffocate?
- Babies should never wear hats indoors. In fact the whole better to be colder than hotter thing and how easily they can over heat.

Does anyone else have similar ‘revelations’?

Antenatal classes teach things like how to bath baby, how to safely put them down, current advice like on back, feet to foot, empty cot etc ask your hospital. My trust has a whole course of videos online. (Some are terrible)

The amount of people who don’t do what’s recommended is unreal though. Just look at Amazon reviews on say baby mattresses. ‘It wasn’t very soft so I doubled them up and added a pillow’ with a picture of a quilt and cuddly toys in the cot. The midwife/HV and books would have you believe this is guaranteed death but it’s got 100 ‘helpful’ votes. It’s so stressful to me to even look at because it goes against everything you’re told. But obviously babies are far more robust than they’d have you believe.

I have no idea but these are some things I didn’t know but do now that were surprising to me...
- perfect prep machines that are on a lot of the ‘must have’ lists are not advised by NHS because they don’t use enough hot water to kill bacteria and can be a breeding ground for more.
- Sleepy heads,baby nests too are always recommended by mums. Not by NHS or lullaby trust for suffocation risk.
- Apparently babies noses will squash completely flat as the bone in there isn’t formed and that’s why it’s so easy to suffocate?
- Babies should never wear hats indoors. In fact the whole better to be colder than hotter thing and how easily they can over heat.

I have to be honest - I loved my sleepyhead. Used properly they’re fine. My baby was never left alone in it but when we went somewhere it was an easy thing to take and pop on the floor/couch for him to have his naps rather than me just holding him. It was the only place he would nap that wasn’t in my arms.

The NHS don’t recommend perfect prep machines but I also had one of those. My HV said she’d had one for her kids as well and just told me to follow the cleaning/filter instructions and it would be fine.

I remember those perfect prep machines went viral after everyone was finding loads of mould in them! Iv always hated those head wraps that cover babies ears with the huge ridiculous bows on the front that people put their newborns in 🙈 they probably don’t have any safety concerns but I just think they’re is no need for them, let the baby hear!

Reactions: 4
I remember those perfect prep machines went viral after everyone was finding loads of mould in them! Iv always hated those head wraps that cover babies ears with the huge ridiculous bows on the front that people put their newborns in 🙈 they probably don’t have any safety concerns but I just think they’re is no need for them, let the baby hear!
Not the same as those, but I did read about a baby dying after being put down to sleep with a bow headband on. Can’t remember if strangulation or suffocation, but either way, the poor tot died.

• Sad
Reactions: 2

You don’t need to use soap or shampoos on newborns particularly in the first 6 weeks. Just a bit of olive oil will do. My mum also was wanging on about washing the vernix of him but you don’t need to do that either, it will absorb into the skin and moisturise it.

The big bows are a problem, there have been children die when the bow slips down and covers their mouth

I have to be honest - I loved my sleepyhead. Used properly they’re fine. My baby was never left alone in it but when we went somewhere it was an easy thing to take and pop on the floor/couch for him to have his naps rather than me just holding him. It was the only place he would nap that wasn’t in my arms.

The NHS don’t recommend perfect prep machines but I also had one of those. My HV said she’d had one for her kids as well and just told me to follow the cleaning/filter instructions and it would be fine.
Lullaby Trust expressly do not recommend baby nests including sleepyhead. I appreciate using them supervised for daytime naps is safer than using them overnight but the fact they are so widely sold is bad as many parents will buy them thinking they are fine - same with cot bumpers

Reactions: 3
Not the same as those, but I did read about a baby dying after being put down to sleep with a bow headband on. Can’t remember if strangulation or suffocation, but either way, the poor tot died.
That is so sad! You’d think these products would be banned, I don’t even know why anyone would put them on a baby they are hideous

You don’t need to use soap or shampoos on newborns particularly in the first 6 weeks. Just a bit of olive oil will do. My mum also was wanging on about washing the vernix of him but you don’t need to do that either, it will absorb into the skin and moisturise it.

The big bows are a problem, there have been children die when the bow slips down and covers their mouth

Lullaby Trust expressly do not recommend baby nests including sleepyhead. I appreciate using them supervised for daytime naps is safer than using them overnight but the fact they are so widely sold is bad as many parents will buy them thinking they are fine - same with cot bumpers
Cot bumpers just shouldn't be sold in general I don't think.
The cot I bought came with 4 sets of them!
Still on a packet in the cupboard!

• Wow
Saw this comment on mamas and papas yesterday which is where I get baffled. This lady purchased something that’s a known choking hazard and all of the advice is to avoid then gets angry when the baby chokes. Which of course you would be but why buy one the blame the supplier?
A461BD34-60C8-429B-8500-EB616708CFC4.jpeg

As a first timer I’m just going to stick to the advice. If I went against it and anything happened I could never forgive myself. I don’t think it helps people though seeing all these celeb nurseries etc cots full of toys - they should have to add disclaimers that all the crap is removed before they’re put down.

Last edited:
Saw this comment on mamas and papas yesterday which is we’re I get baffled. This lady purchased something that’s a known choking hazard and all of the advice is to avoid then gets angry when the baby chokes. Which of course you would be but why buy one the blame the supplier?View attachment 390892

As a first timer I’m just going to stick to the advice. If I went against it and anything happened I could never forgive myself. I don’t think it helps people though seeing all these celeb nurseries etc cots full of toys - they should have to add disclaimers that all the crap is removed before they’re put down.
I think cot bumpers should be completely banned. They are just totally unsafe and unnecessary. I’m guessing they’re not a new thing as my mum was saying I should get some until I told her you don’t need them. I was born in 1989

So do you recommend newborn baby just sleeps in crib with no sleepyhead / baby nest thing?

So do you recommend newborn baby just sleeps in crib with no sleepyhead / baby nest thing?
I wouldn’t buy a sleepyhead, Iv got a Moses basket from the little green sheep to start with and I have an ikea cot in the loft from my first born that I’ll use again (no bumpers lol)

Sleepy head or any kind of nest shouldn’t be used over night at all, the manufacturer says this. They’re for supervised sleeping only.

Anything they can turn their face into they say avoid. which I don’t really why with Moses baskets it’s ok but I guess because they are sort of ribbed thy can get air still.

We’ve got a Moses for daytime and a next to me for night.

I’m really confused now what you put them in at night my friend bought a snooze pod looks like a cot but next to her bed?

I’m really confused now what you put them in at night my friend bought a snooze pod looks like a cot but next to her bed?
The snuzpod cribs are good, I don’t think there is a right or wrong it’s just what works best for you, some are good for breastfeeding mums because the sides open, I made a mistake last time of only having a cot (cotbed size) and she wouldn’t sleep in it because she was happier being more snug so we had her sleeping in her carrycot for a few weeks until we got a Moses basket 😂

I've just always had a moses basket and then moved onto a cot. Just the mattress. nothing else in there

Yeah one of them. Or a Moses basket or a cot. Moses baskets and next to bed cribs usually have a lower weight/length limit so they last 6mths-a year ish. But just in there straight on the mattress, not in a padded nest or with pillows and quilts etc.

Snuzpod or similar next to bed cribs are a safe option, or if budget doesn’t allow a basic Moses basket

Yeah I'm thinking Snuzpod or similar for nights and a moses basket for the day when baby is downstairs with me. I do have a couple of friends who have Sleepyheads and their baby loves them but its strictly for daytime use and supervised ie baby and/or mother should not sleep while baby is in one.

Baby shopping is truly a minefield! I haven't started buying yet but am looking at things and there's just so much choice in everything. I have to keep reminding myself that not everything is essential and our mums wouldn't have had anywhere near as much stuff to choose from!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.