Plus size fashion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg found my people! Been plus size for over 20 years and currently at my heaviest at a size 20. The issue I'm currently having is returning to work after two years spent on mat leave (technically unemployed for part of that but anyway......). I do not wear dresses at all and my job isn't suitable for wearing them anyway. Where can I find smart casual office wear that isn't made from polyester/synthetic fabrics?

On that note, why are so many plus size clothes made from synthetic materials? I suspect the answer is probably cost but it's a pain in the backside trying to find nice clothes that won't drown me in sweat.
Next have really good chinos. They also do petite in plus size!

Reactions: 3
I came across Yours Clothes when I was on holiday in Manchester a good few years ago. I used to order regularly from them online.

I was desparate for them to open in Scotland. They've now got 2 stores near me and I buy next to nothing from them!!! They're designs are God awful!!! But the colours are the worst. Everything is black and grey!!!
I find shopping with them online is OK as you can find a few decent bits. Although obviously hit and miss because of the crap fabrics they use. Also a lot of their stuff comes up huge.

Their shops are just depressing. My local one is just flowery nylon tunics on one side, T-shirts with slogans like MUMMY NEEDS PROSECCO on the other. Then a bunch of rails with the same stretchy skinny jeggings at the back. It’s also really grubby and messy, but that seems to be all high street stores now.

Reactions: 10
That dress is cute but I wish they’d put the actual length. It says midi in the title and description but it’s short on the model.

Yes a lot of plus size stuff is made from awful fabrics. I don’t buy from SheIn because of some dodgy ethical issues, but I see their stuff in our local charity shops all the time because people donate it rather than returning. A lot of it looks nice but then you pick it up and it’s just printed polyester. Yuck. Yours can be bad for this too.
I abhor polyester, the feel of it is gross and it makes me sweat buckets! I feel itchy just looking at or thinking about Shein clothing, plus their dodgy practices make me want to avoid them like the plague!
Thanks to everyone who has recommended swimwear sites, I’m going to have to bite the bullet and order some costumes from them!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Omg found my people! Been plus size for over 20 years and currently at my heaviest at a size 20. The issue I'm currently having is returning to work after two years spent on mat leave (technically unemployed for part of that but anyway......). I do not wear dresses at all and my job isn't suitable for wearing them anyway. Where can I find smart casual office wear that isn't made from polyester/synthetic fabrics?

On that note, why are so many plus size clothes made from synthetic materials? I suspect the answer is probably cost but it's a pain in the backside trying to find nice clothes that won't drown me in sweat.
I saw a TikTok were a woman found amazing and stylish plus size office/work wear on Amazon of all places! But whenever I’ve looked on there it’s always been a bit hit and miss, so not much help sorry 😅

I had a wine last night and ended up ordering a load of swimwear from Yours, Shein, and Next. I’ll let you know what they’re like when they arrive 😅
It’s so frustrating that plus size shopping is such a faff!

Reactions: 7
Those TikTok videos/insta posts with ‘wow check out this outfit from Amazon/these are the best jeans of my life!’ type content is usually just for the affiliate links. An affiliate cookie from Amazon lasts something like 24 hours, so if you click on something from one of those videos, even if you don’t buy that particular item but go on to buy something else… they earn commission.

Most Amazon clothing is complete crap, like aliexpress level. Even stuff with 4.5 stars has terrible reviews if you scroll through them.

Reactions: 6
I'd definitely avoid Amazon for clothes it's usually from AliExpress for inflated prices ! My issue is finding maxi dresses that are actual maxi dresses on me ! Hate my legs but find it hard to get nice long dresses . Lots say maxi but then you click into the pic and it's mid calf length on the model 🙈 I'm 5'10 so tall but recently bought a maxi from long tall Sally which was sweeping the floor I would have gone arse over tit in two minutes 🤣 Such a gorgeous dress but way too long

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I'd definitely avoid Amazon for clothes it's usually from AliExpress for inflated prices ! My issue is finding maxi dresses that are actual maxi dresses on me ! Hate my legs but find it hard to get nice long dresses . Lots say maxi but then you click into the pic and it's mid calf length on the model 🙈 I'm 5'10 so tall but recently bought a maxi from long tall Sally which was sweeping the floor I would have gone arse over tit in two minutes 🤣 Such a gorgeous dress but way too long
I have the opposite problem, I'm 5'3 so they are all long on me

Reactions: 7
Haha! Looks like it’s a no to Amazon then. Has anyone ever ordered from Cider? They do a plus size range and the clothes are a little bit different from my usual style but I actually really like the look of some of them. Was wondering what the quality and sizing are like 🤞🏻

Reactions: 2
Haha! Looks like it’s a no to Amazon then. Has anyone ever ordered from Cider? They do a plus size range and the clothes are a little bit different from my usual style but I actually really like the look of some of them. Was wondering what the quality and sizing are like 🤞🏻
Never heard of them, but going to have a look

Just spotted this on Asos website. I wonder if that's an instruction not to buy it?

Screenshot_20220620-174109_ASOS.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they’ve lost their style through COVID/lockdowns? 2 years of wearing leggings etc while WFH and I have no clue what suits me anymore!

Reactions: 10
Is it this one? It seems to have quite bad reviews. There are so many crap Chinese sites now I only buy from high street or big online brands I know.

Sorry, can’t remember if I’ve already asked this, but has anyone shopped at Nastygal? I think it’s owned by the boohoo people.

You have the same problem as me. I'm also 5'10" and I find normal clothes are generally a little short but LTS is too long.

The other issue I have is that my height seems to be in my body. Most shops these days do longer length in trousers but tops are still way behind. I usually end up with a top just sitting above my waist and sleeves way above my wrists.

Curvissa have some nice dresses at the moment. I was looking this morning.

Is it this one? It seems to have quite bad reviews. There are so many crap Chinese sites now I only buy from high street or big online brands I know.
That’s the one! Definitely mixed reviews. I might order a few bits from there and see what they’re like? Hoping they’re hit more than miss 😊

You have the same problem as me. I'm also 5'10" and I find normal clothes are generally a little short but LTS is too long.

The other issue I have is that my height seems to be in my body. Most shops these days do longer length in trousers but tops are still way behind. I usually end up with a top just sitting above my waist and sleeves way above my wrists.

Curvissa have some nice dresses at the moment. I was looking this morning.

Fellow 5”10 long body girl here! My torso is definitely long in proportion to my legs. Jeans shopping is a nightmare. I usually go high waisted, but then the waist is too loose, so I’ll maybe size down and then they’re too tight around the bum and thighs! 😅

Sorry, can’t remember if I’ve already asked this, but has anyone shopped at Nastygal? I think it’s owned by the boohoo people.
My favourite comfy oversize top is from them. I got it a couple of years back and it gets constant wear. Also have a couple of decent midi dresses which have lasted well and are true to size.

I could rant for days over plus size clothes, I've been a size 20 or over for probably about 20 years and it's still crap trying to buy clothes.

I'm 5ft3, carry most of my weight round my middle and have insanely large boobs so it really is a struggle.

Swimming costumes are pertinent as I'm trying in vain to get something decent as my old one from Asda is giving up the ghost. I had on a tankini today which I'd bought in haste as was going on a hen weekend with hot tub but it is not suitable for actual swimming! Paid loads for it as well as it's an Adidas top but with Yours bottoms and top kept rolling up and bottoms down, really uncomfortable. I also got a costume from Yours for the same weekend and the straps cut into my shoulders so it's not fun to wear either. I don't want 'slimming' or 'tummy control'....I want a costume I can swim or do aquafit in and no amount of lycia is going to make my stomach any less noticeable anyway! Asda used to be brilliant, same with Sainsbury's but neither are cutting it now.

I've bought recently from Hell Bunny, got such a nice dress for a wedding and so many of their clothes go up to a 6XL which is around a 26 I think. I don't like buying from Shein but I do because they just have the most incredible range. I got some fab stuff from my last order although as people say, it's questionable quality so about half went back.

My favourite comfy oversize top is from them. I got it a couple of years back and it gets constant wear. Also have a couple of decent midi dresses which have lasted well and are true to size.
Thank you, I'll have a proper look sat their site

I could rant for days over plus size clothes, I've been a size 20 or over for probably about 20 years and it's still crap trying to buy clothes.

I'm 5ft3, carry most of my weight round my middle and have insanely large boobs so it really is a struggle.

Swimming costumes are pertinent as I'm trying in vain to get something decent as my old one from Asda is giving up the ghost. I had on a tankini today which I'd bought in haste as was going on a hen weekend with hot tub but it is not suitable for actual swimming! Paid loads for it as well as it's an Adidas top but with Yours bottoms and top kept rolling up and bottoms down, really uncomfortable. I also got a costume from Yours for the same weekend and the straps cut into my shoulders so it's not fun to wear either. I don't want 'slimming' or 'tummy control'....I want a costume I can swim or do aquafit in and no amount of lycia is going to make my stomach any less noticeable anyway! Asda used to be brilliant, same with Sainsbury's but neither are cutting it now.

I've bought recently from Hell Bunny, got such a nice dress for a wedding and so many of their clothes go up to a 6XL which is around a 26 I think. I don't like buying from Shein but I do because they just have the most incredible range. I got some fab stuff from my last order although as people say, it's questionable quality so about half went back.
M&S do good costumes, I'm a 20 and I get mine from them. They do basic shape ones for about 20 quid. I do open water too and they're good for that as well.

I think you must be my slightly taller twin, as I am 1m56 ( 5 ft 1.5 inches!), big busted and want a swimming costime I can bloody well swim in! Slimming and tummy control= uncomfortable in my book! I think I can get a few wears out of my very stretched, pretty much see-through, splitting at the seams Decathlon swimsuit, but after that, I’m going to have to attempt a Yours online order!