Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tharsheblows

VIP Member
I feel like i’m on fire just reading that 😂 but that’s it, everyone is just trying to cope with the weather! i’m 27 and it’s taken me years of summers to be like get your legs out, wear the damn dress, wear the shorts, wear the vest or bikini. It’s hard work mentally and I still wanna cover up sometimes but I’d much feel comfortable in the heat than uncomfortable worrying what people are thinking!

I’d probably stare more at someone in trackies or long sleeves in this weather than someone just embracing the heat tbh 😂😂

I second snag tights they are amazing, also liquid talc from asda and mega babe thigh rescue - all amazing! also step ones which were originally for men now do womens boxers with bamboo paneling for anti chafing and they’re brilliant
I’m 47 (48 tomorrow) and this morning i dressed in pedal pusher jeans and a long heavy polyester t-shirt from Yours. Even in my bedroom I felt like I was melting, and then a lightbulb went off in my head! It doesn’t matter what I wear, people can still see how big I am, so what if I have some spider veins on my legs (and that they aren’t as tanned as my face and arms) what does it matter if when I lift my arms my bingo wings hang down for days! So I dug out my shorts, which sit just above my big fat knees and a sleeveless cotton top and do you know what, I’ve felt a lot cooler today than yesterday, I’ve been busy and popped into town, to the vets, supermarket and the tip and no one has stopped me and said “excuse me, don’t you think you’re too fat to wear that and you need to spare us from the sight of all your blubbery flesh”! I’ve not noticed anyone trying to hold vomit inside them or turn to their friends and gasp that I have dared to wear shorts and haven’t heard any snidey comments either. I know I won’t always feel this confident and tomorrow but I am taking today as a win and one step at a time x

• Heart
Reactions: 22

EssexHun

Thanks so much for this thread! 🥰

I love ASOS Curve, New Look used to be good but for me personally, I find myself looking less and less on there lately 🙁 Yours can be ok but the sizing can be so hit and miss, and sometimes the quality is just shit. Boohoo is ridiculous sizing at times and can be crap, the same with In The Style and PLT… but plus size clothing has demand, I don’t know why companies can’t provide more for us plus size who want good quality clothes that are nice! Sorry if I cause any offence but the bloody butterflies and cold shoulder tops, t-shirts with shit inspirational quotes… no thanks!!

I have a ton of mostly new with labels, clothes to list to sell on eBay… I was thinking if Vinted but never sold on there before and not sure how it works? Most of the items are between sizes 24 - 30 I think? New dresses, tops etc… from ASOS, Quiz Curve, Yours, New Look etc…. I have sold successfully before on eBay but the fees are so high 😒 but I’ll just be grateful that someone else may get a bargain too!

I also have new bags too and other bits, including new make up and skin care… new boxed hair tools, and a load more stuff to sort through..

I don’t realise how much stuff I have accumulated and not worn or used…since I lost my mum, I think I was buying stuff as a comfort as I used to take her shopping all the time… trying to fill a hole that will never be filled 😢

Anyways, I really need to list it and try and make some money. Like so many others, COVID hit us hard, I worked all the way through but my partner is self-employed and still struggling… like so many of us, so anything I can make will help so much.

I too am going to Florida in October (cancelled from before COVID) and me and my partner of almost 14 years are going to get married whilst there! Not told anyone, just going to get married with just us. The dress has been sitting in my wardrobe for almost 3 years now! Its gorgeous and from ASOS Curve! So excited 🥰

Sorry for the long post, it’s just lovely to share plus size fashion advice and discussion without lining someone else’s pockets 😏

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Hansnoms Mumma

Chatty Member
It's so sad that we don't feel able to dress for this weather. My mum told me 40 years ago that I can't wear shorts, so I dont wear shorts. Well guess what! Today I walked to the shops in shorts and the sky didn't fall down or anything! It's hard to silence the mean voice in your head, but it's bloody liberating when you can.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Em_

VIP Member
A thread for those of us to discuss plus size fashion and share non affiliated links 😉

Reactions: 18

GossBoss

VIP Member
I tried to remember that the other day when it was 30 degrees and I was wearing a maxi dress with a t-shirt and leggings underneath it (it was a lovely strappy broiderie dress from Primark, I hate my arms so I put a top under it)

I was at a charity football match and there were people there far bigger than me wearing far more revealing stuff but I was utterly self conscious. No-one was looking at me of course but I felt like everyone was thinking how huge I looked (I’m a size 18/20) I used to be a size 24/26 and was never as bothered then.!
1 of my girlfriends hates her arms & will also wear a 3/4 sleeve tshirt under anything that doesn't have long sleeves as she feels that people will stare at her otherwise 😒
Truth is, people will look more when it's absolutely boiling and she's sweating herself silly in long sleeves under a pretty dress & wondering why she's wearing it

BTW, her arms are fine, they're just big arms but she's only 30 with beautiful smooth skin & they don't look out of place, whereas mine , well, some people probably think I should cover up .

I'm mid 50's, been overweight all my life but recently lost 6stone so they're saggy, baggy, crepey and very wrinkled. They are just flapping empty skin sacks that look like they need ironing 🤣 But I've started to embrace them as I refuse to be hotter than is necessary. They don't make me any less of a person & if anyone did comment I'd be happy explaining that I've improved my health big time to get them😊

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Lalalalaaaaaa85

VIP Member
This year has been the first year I’ve worn shorts since I was a teenager and ironically I’m bigger than ever at the moment but like others have said I realised I just didn’t care anymore. I don’t exist to please others.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Happy birthday @Tharsheblows & @Em_

Do you know what ladies? I threw caution to the wind and wore the damn dress (with an ancient pair of chub rub shorts I found in my drawers). And nobody said a word! I did get a nice smile from the building's security guard at lunchtime (usually a grumpy sod) to boost my ego.

As another poster said, I might not have another confident day like this one for a while. But I'm bloody glad I did. Thanks folks :)

• Heart
Reactions: 16

CrimsonCountess

VIP Member
I was just going to come back and say I have braved wearing shorts for the last few days, nobody has heckled me, called me fat or keeled over in shock so it's going well:ROFLMAO: I even branched out and bought a playsuit and I'm so much more comfortable wearing looser clothes rather than trying to cover up

I remember watching a Tiktok once that really stuck with me, she said something along the lines of 'people can see you're fat whether you're wearing a baggy t-shirt and jeans or a dress, so you may as well be comfy and wear the dress anyway' and I try and remind myself of that haha. My legs will look fat regardless of whether I'm wearing leggings or shorts so I'm trying to just get over myself haha. I don't know if it helps that my legs are quite heavily tattooed so I think it draws attention to the tattoos rather than my actual legs if that makes sense

• Heart
Reactions: 16

MrsVonDarkness

Plus size clothing seems worse now than ever. The majority is cheap materials or covered in slogans and (like others have said) butterfly patterns.
I have super short legs and buy all of my trousers from M&S. I tend to wear t-shirts in the summer and have bought lots off truffle shuffle - they go upto a 5xl in some things.
I sometimes have a look around Yours but Jesus its like a cheap market stall lately. I think the last thing I bought was a teddy coat about 2 years ago (still in great shape).
I browse asos but it's a bit overwhelming at times and I usually only buy leggings from there.
Evans is shit.
I used to buy a lot from Simpley Be when they had actual shops but since they closed the one in the Metrocentre I haven't bought a thing from them.

Us plus size ladies have it tough trying to find decent well fitting and quality clothes.

Reactions: 14

CrimsonCountess

VIP Member
Is anyone else really disappointed with Asos currently? I used to get so much from there but now the plus size range just seems absolute shit

Reactions: 12

Furnessian

VIP Member
I have the same problem, why do plus size clothing manufacturers think plus size also means 6ft tall!!! Next, petite range goes up to a size 24. They sit nicely, and are lovely quality, I have had the same 2 pairs for 3 years.

And for tops, it’s the opposite. They think every plus sized person has the shortest torso going or don’t mind showing off their belly shelf. I’m 5’8 and just go for dresses now because I’m fed up trying to find tops that cover my minge area

Make longer tops guys! You will sell out.

Kerrie86

Chatty Member
thank god for this thread!
so, have dreamed of owning a pair of dungaree since I was a child. Never bought them coz I just assumed they’d look ridiculous.
Took the plunge, fully expecting to laugh at myself and then return them, and strike them from my wish list forever.
But…. I kinda love them, and can’t decide whether that’s just coz I love dungarees or whether they actually look ok.
Be honest, do I just look like someone who sings the wheels on the bus four times a day?

Attachments

• Heart

Loubell83

VIP Member
Funny thing is I won’t wear dresses 🤦🏻‍♀️ I think because floaty dresses literally do nothing for me and look a bit tent like where as shorts are fitted. Which I know makes absolutely no sense at all. I’ve leggings on today and I am melting and pretty sure my I’ve a big sweaty bum print 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
Wear the shorts! 🥰🥰
I agree wear the shorts! I got cycling shorts from asos and wearing them has been a game changer in this heat. No one batted an eyelid.

I’ve got to the point in life where I think I finally don’t really give a shit. Only took until I’m about to turn 40! 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 11

PaulineMole

Great thread thanks for starting it ! I used to love new look and was on the online fashion panel for a long time but they never obviously listened to what we had to say! Haven't bought anything from there in a long time . I said no cold shoulder tops, stop with the Eiffel tower and butterfly's on everything! Also stop making everything with high round necklines think v neck ,scoop neck all much nicer . Also proper short sleeves not bloody cap sleeves ! Bootcut jeans also not all skinny legged jeans !!

I wish plus size companies would actually hire plus sized people and listen to them !!! I buy from simplybe, boohoo,yours, littlewoods and Shein these days

As for swimwear I only ever go for tankinis as I find swimsuits are just cut smaller anyway and are too short for me in the body. I'll see if I can find anything suitable for you online

jimjamgem

I’ve also been wearing my shorts and no one seems to have noticed 😂 and I’ve been much more comfortable on my walks. I’ve also got to the stage where I think people are more likely to zone in on you if you’re overdressed for the weather. We passed a young person wearing a puffer jacket while out with his friends and I did think I’d have been less likely to notice if he was in a tshirt keeping cool. It’s so hard though overcoming these mental barriers.

• Heart

Mr Krabs

VIP Member
I came across Yours Clothes when I was on holiday in Manchester a good few years ago. I used to order regularly from them online.

I was desparate for them to open in Scotland. They've now got 2 stores near me and I buy next to nothing from them!!! They're designs are God awful!!! But the colours are the worst. Everything is black and grey!!!
I find shopping with them online is OK as you can find a few decent bits. Although obviously hit and miss because of the crap fabrics they use. Also a lot of their stuff comes up huge.

Their shops are just depressing. My local one is just flowery nylon tunics on one side, T-shirts with slogans like MUMMY NEEDS PROSECCO on the other. Then a bunch of rails with the same stretchy skinny jeggings at the back. It’s also really grubby and messy, but that seems to be all high street stores now.

Reactions: 10

cill2019

VIP Member
Does anyone wear cycle shorts and t-shirts? or that kind of outfit. I really want to as it looks so much cooler and fresh in this weather but I'm so self conscious of my thighs that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet:LOL:
I’ve started to this year because I was melting. I’m a size 24/26 and have zero confidence but one day I just thought f it if someone is offended by a fat chick in shorts then it says more about them. No one cared! They were probably more offended at my milk bottle white legs 🤣

• Heart

EssexHun

Definitely get selling if you can! I hadn’t thought of eBay actually but that’s a good shout. Comfort buying is real, so I feel you there and sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum.
Hopefully your items will do well and you’ll have a nice bit of spending money for your Florida wedding 😊
What’s everyone’s plus size clothing ick? Cold shoulder tops for me! 😅
Thank you 💛

Yes, cold shoulder tops! Not for me! Anything with butterflies too. Just don’t get the fascination of putting butterflies on everything for plus size clothing?! 🥴

• Haha

Hansnoms Mumma

Chatty Member
What I need is a stylist service for plus size women. I have no real idea how to dress well for my body, so go with comfortable most of the time. Does this exist??