Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well I’m still getting up at 6am to water the garden before it gets too hot.
Don’t appear to have lost much in this heat but a couple of begonias are badly scorched.
Lawn is looking like autumn - covered in dried, crispy leaves that have fallen from our sycamore tree.

How is everyone else coping?

Reactions: 1
Today I have harvested purple sprouting broccoli (came early no idea why), last of the mange tout, my first ever french beans, and two courgettes. Courgettes are coming thick and fast after a slow start.

Loads of tomatoes but none ripe yet. Can't wait for my first pickings. I'm easily pleased.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Well I’m still getting up at 6am to water the garden before it gets too hot.
Don’t appear to have lost much in this heat but a couple of begonias are badly scorched.
Lawn is looking like autumn - covered in dried, crispy leaves that have fallen from our sycamore tree.

How is everyone else coping?
Don't have lawn space but public spaces everywhere is scorched badly. Tomatoes are ripening nicely. Chilies loooooove this weather, gonna be a good harvest this year I hope.

Watering at least twice a day now...

Reactions: 3
Hi all hope it’s okay to join!!
We planted veggies for the first time this year in our green house, we have strawberries, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, chillis and sweetcorn!
The strawberries keep getting eaten by god knows what and we’ve just chucked the carrots because they had been eaten too 🤣
Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and sweetcorn are going strong and the chillis are starting to come through!

Also our sunflowers are about to bloom!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi everyone ☀

I’m slowly getting into gardening but I’ve got no idea what I’m doing, so far I have 3 herb plants:

Basil 🍃
Parsley 🌱
Mint 🌿

How often should I be watering these? I noticed a few of the basil leaves had holes in so I removed them and now it’s growing even more. During the heatwave the parsley wilted but I’ve managed to get it back to being green, some of the leaves are still looking wilted. I don’t know what to do to help it

I just bought a hydrangea in a pot and when we have our own house with a garden I want to plant it. It’s a panicled hygrangea I believe but I have no idea how to best look after it so any tips are welcome. I have no idea what I’m doing or if that even made sense but I’m loving looking after them 🙂👩🏻‍🌾🌷

Hi everyone ☀

I’m slowly getting into gardening but I’ve got no idea what I’m doing, so far I have 3 herb plants:

Basil 🍃
Parsley 🌱
Mint 🌿

How often should I be watering these? I noticed a few of the basil leaves had holes in so I removed them and now it’s growing even more. During the heatwave the parsley wilted but I’ve managed to get it back to being green, some of the leaves are still looking wilted. I don’t know what to do to help it

I just bought a hydrangea in a pot and when we have our own house with a garden I want to plant it. It’s a panicled hygrangea I believe but I have no idea how to best look after it so any tips are welcome. I have no idea what I’m doing or if that even made sense but I’m loving looking after them 🙂👩🏻‍🌾🌷
Hi! No experience with herbs but Hydrangea loves lots of water and a lot big enough for its roots to spread. If you are going to leave it in the pot regular feeds over the summer and a tip up yearly of new compost will help. Happy gardening

My
Hi everyone ☀

Basil 🍃
Parsley 🌱
Mint 🌿

My basil gets lots of water. It is very easy to propagate. Cut off a bit with some leaves, trim leaves off stem put on windowsill in a glass of water. Several weeks later there will be roots and it can be potted. You never need to buy another plant.

Mint is a weed. Keep it in a pot.

My parsley died so can't help you on that.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi everyone ☀

Basil 🍃
Parsley 🌱
Mint 🌿

Paniculata hydrangeas like full sun whereas macrophylla ones like dappled shade.
Both like lots of water but at the base - try to avoid watering the leaves if possible.
I love hydrangeas. 🥰 I bought 3 new ones this week.
Selma - a pink mophead macrophylla.
Living Pinky Promise - white turning to pink paniculata.
Limelight - green turning to white paniculata.
I’ll put them in bigger pots because I want to move a couple of my other hydrangeas and put these in their place but can’t do that until autumn.

Which variety did you get?

Re your herbs, keep mint in its own pot because it’s very invasive if in the ground. If the Basil starts to flower, snip them off so that it doesn’t use up its energy on the flowers.

My plant babies are doing good one week after planting the seeds. At what point do I move them to a bigger pot? Or to my trough? My Veg Trug arrived and I love it.
I think they need to be a bit bigger before moving them, although it looks like you’ve grown them in biodegradable pots so you may be able to plant them out as is when there are more established.

Reactions: 2
My local Wilko had 70% off seeds yesterday so I picked up some bargains!

Chantenay carrot 20p
Black beauty courgette 20p
Hollow crown parsnip 15p
Moneymaker tomato 20p
Cherry tomato 50p
Lettuce 20p
Sweet peas 75p (not reduced, but pretty!)
Wallflower 15p
Sunflower 15p
Foxglove 20p
Lobelia 5p

We have a paved yard at the back and a large front garden so I'm considering building a raised planter in the back for the veggies next spring and filling the front garden border with flowers.

It's very exciting and I'm really enjoying all the photos and advice here! 😊

Has anyone had any success with propagating hydrangea cuttings? There are loads in our local park and I'd love to have some in our garden, such a beautiful plant. Is rooting powder needed?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Re Hydrangea cutting: yes I’ve propagated several. I use a Hydropod but I think they are pretty easy to propagate either in water or soil. Lots of “how to” videos on YouTube.

Not done much in the garden this week, except for deadheading and putting my strawberry runners in pots.
Bought some lovely hydrangeas in Lidl for £6.99. 😍

Reactions: 1
Anyone know the best thing if herbs are wilting? I have parsley an mint, both in pots of their own in the house, they were fine till I got home with them 😅 but now they are just wilted, I've never had herbs before an got them mostly for my little piggys an rabbit rather than paying constantly for packets of them

My little raspberry bush finally had some coming through, took this photo yesterday evening and this morning they had been eaten 😭
5E07FC87-BC11-40FA-889D-C74C553CF5B4.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Not sure where I seen it but someone said to paint rocks the same as the fruit you are growing before they grow an the birds will peck the rocks thinking its the fruit, an because they hate pecking hard things they eventually move on so when the fruit does come out they won't touch it

Reactions: 5
I’ve been having a terrible time with tomatoes this year! Several plants have got blossom end rot and others are just refusing to ripen. One is producing absolutely nothing and looks like a weedy little thing despite being sown and cared for in exactly the same way as all the others.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My runner beans are coming on fab, having the last of my early potatoes tonight in potato salad, tomatoes are slow but getting there and my courgettes are meh. They keep dying while they're tiny 😪
Is anyone planting anything for autumn?