Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone recommend a seed for me to plan in my wall and advice how I plant them? This isn’t my house, it’s a one for sale down the road but this is what the wall is like.
That’s a beautiful house front. What sort of look are you after? I’m currently obsessed with fleabanes/érigerons as I think they look beautiful, but they’re quite a casual look and they spread like wildfire 🤣

IMG_7500.jpeg

Reactions: 1
That’s a beautiful house front. What sort of look are you after? I’m currently obsessed with fleabanes/érigerons as I think they look beautiful, but they’re quite a casual look and they spread like wildfire 🤣

View attachment 2828757
I think they’re very pretty. I have campanula growing on the wall between my house and the neighbours and it looks lovely when in full bloom. Pinks would be a nice mix and I do love that combo. Do I just put the seeds directly in the wall?

I’ve found this:

IMG_7502.png

From here: https://www.thearches.co.uk/how-to-grow-erigeron-karvinskianus-mexican-fleabane-in-your-garden/

I grow them in containers (which is so simple) but lots of people grow them in walls. Somewhere else suggested growing them in a container by the wall and letting them self-seed onto the wall themselves.

I’ve got masses of the pink and white in the garden and they’ve self seeded quite happily onto the gravel this year. I’ve also got some Lavender Lady and Azure Fairy on the kitchen window for containers in the garden. I love them. I’d have a garden full of them!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Can anyone recommend a seed for me to plan in my wall and advice how I plant them? This isn’t my house, it’s a one for sale down the road but this is what the wall is like.
If you want it cascading over the wall, creeping phlox would look good. Come in lots of vibrant colours.

6217BC63-FEF2-4B7D-BC9A-81E7A288AE7E.jpeg

4CB28DF3-ED62-48BB-91B9-8A817C5723B4.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I love the fleabane. We are looking after a plot that has stone walls and difficult patches infested with hazel, I might try it there. Something quick growing to choke out the hazel. I have some sedum there which is doing well, so alternatively I might get more of those but they are slow spreaders.

Can someone help me with this: I'm trying to grow melons (canteloupe and watermelon) from seed, they sprout alright, get a bit leggy, but than they stop growing / don't develop true leaves. I have a watermelon that has been the same size for almost 6 weeks now and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I wondered if my growing lights aren't strong enough so I planted a pumpkin last week, for comparison, and it is thriving and already on its first true leaf.

It may be too early for melon. I'd plant more seeds mid to late April.

I'm trying to grow climbing flowers up a fence that runs parallel to my allotment. Lidl have good deals on climbers at the moment.

Love this! Maybe not in the red white and blue (don’t want to look like I’m waving a flag) but this would look very pretty.

@Girty Drifter thank you very much. Here’s hoping I can get some going in a brick wall rather than stone 🤞🏻
No I agree but I just posted that pic to show the different colours.
You should be able to get some plug plants now because they are in flower late spring/early summer.
Unsure when the Fleabane that Girty posted flowers but if it’s late summer perhaps you could alternate the 2 different plants along your wall so that you have flowers for several months.

Right, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and peppers started today. Disappointed that my chives, most of my aubergines and strawberries didn't germinate at all (they were sown two weeks ago so definitely not worked). I need to start some courgettes and get my onion/shallot sets in the ground (slightly worried I've left this too late) and chit my potatoes this week. I've got 3 first early and 3 second early - I have no idea what this means :eek: The first early doesn't seem to have sprouted much but the 2nd earlies have gone crazy in the bag (I briefly lost them... for a month...).

So the plan for my garden this year is -
- Lettuce (iceberg, little gem and red cos) and maybe cucumber in the greenhouse soil (has had tomatoes in it for two years running now).
- Tomatoes, mixed salad leaves, aubergine, melon and cape gooseberry in pots in the greenhouse
- Garlic (been in since October), onion, shallots, peas, courgette, ? cucumber, beans, leek if they germinate and carrots in the ground of the veg patch
- Potatoes and strawberries (got an old plant still alive, and will try and germinate some more from seed) in pots/sacks on the patio

I think that's it. I feel like I'm missing a few veg there. I want to try and have a decent variety of things.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I already have flowers on a couple of my strawberry plants!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Right, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and peppers started today. Disappointed that my chives, most of my aubergines and strawberries didn't germinate at all (they were sown two weeks ago so definitely not worked). I need to start some courgettes and get my onion/shallot sets in the ground (slightly worried I've left this too late) and chit my potatoes this week. I've got 3 first early and 3 second early - I have no idea what this means :eek: The first early doesn't seem to have sprouted much but the 2nd earlies have gone crazy in the bag (I briefly lost them... for a month...).

So the plan for my garden this year is -
- Lettuce (iceberg, little gem and red cos) and maybe cucumber in the greenhouse soil (has had tomatoes in it for two years running now).
- Tomatoes, mixed salad leaves, aubergine, melon and cape gooseberry in pots in the greenhouse
- Garlic (been in since October), onion, shallots, peas, courgette, ? cucumber, beans, leek if they germinate and carrots in the ground of the veg patch
- Potatoes and strawberries (got an old plant still alive, and will try and germinate some more from seed) in pots/sacks on the patio

I think that's it. I feel like I'm missing a few veg there. I want to try and have a decent variety of things.
Earlies mean when they crop so first earlies will be ready about June and July, second earlies a bit later.

I’ve taken the risk and planted out my dahlias today. If frosts come back I’ll have to cloche them. I was going to start them in pots on my kitchen window but that’s currently full of seedlings and likely to be for the foreseeable.

I wish I had room for a greenhouse 😢 I tried one of those tiny plastic affairs years ago and it was rubbish so gave up. Might just throw together a cold frame later in the year to try next spring.

Anyone got any tips for starting off seeds etc with no space? I’m juggling pots and trays every year and it’s so awkward.

If you have a garden plant crocuses in the grass during September. It’s such a lovely sight in the Spring seeing them come into bloom.
And they’re one of the first vital sources of pollen for bees!

Reactions: 3