Perimenopause moans #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for sharing this and I'm so sorry you've had such a tough time. Sending you big hugs! Like us women don't have enough to go through hey?
I'm starting to wonder if this time my anxiety is different, and that its peri causing it. I just feel like I'm in a constant state of anxiety atm. Xx
I think the anxiety feels completely different when it’s caused by peri menopause tbh. For me personally. Sounds as if you’re in the grips of it too. Like you say, as if we don’t have enough to put up with! X
---
yeah i really love walking. No dog but just walks in nature outside and out and about really help my mood.
I need to really make the effort to walk more. I have countryside on my doorstep so I have no excuse! It really does help with my mood too

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
My anxiety started with my driving. I have never been an anxious driver but would suddenly get intrusive thoughts I had forgotten how to drive or I was lost or my lights weren't working. I started hating driving.
Then it was work. I also work in a hospital ( hence the total tit name I wish tattle would let us change)
I suddenly started panicking whilst injecting someone that I had drawn up the wrong drug, felt anxious I couldn't remember what basic meds were for. We often get moved to other wards for staffing reasons and I completely flipped one day and just went home instead of the other ward.
Everyone thought I had lost the plot as did I.
I started HRT and also exercise regularly , slowly I feel more me again.

Sorry for the bloody essay 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Hi all, been lurking a little while, this space helped give me confidence in starting HRT even though I’m just 40.

I’ve now been on Evorel, Utrogestan and Estiol for nearly a month. I can notice a lifting of my low mood, have lived with depression for 3 years plus (also on citalopram) and my monthly crippling migraine didn’t appear last month.

Those aspects are enough of a win for me to deal with the (so far) sore nipples and bit of an itch.

I’ve also given up caffeine. Am still having pretty severe fatigue, hoping I can start gently with some regular exercise and feel better. What has anyone experienced in getting started exercising? I think I need help and motivation!

• Heart
I started doing Zumba , didn't think it would be my thing but absolutely love it. Everyone who goes is a similar age and it's just so much fun.
I struggle a lot with motivation on my days off so I force myself to go for a walk every day. I pick a podcast I know I will enjoy and it just means I do the walk. Podcasts have saved me in so many ways. I struggled with sleep and just put a podcast on one night when trying to entertain myself.
I now find I am asleep within two minutes of starting a podcast. It's like Pavlov's dog .

Reactions: 7
I also find podcasts are like being hit over the head - I’m asleep within ten minutes max 99pc of the time (not when I’ve drunk a lot of wine).

It’s funny the anxiety and low mood, because conversely, I’m happier than ever. I realise I have so many amazing things in my life: husband and good strong marriage, children (and great relationships with them), friends, job, house. It’s as if I’m just realising all of this and am suddenly gripped by the fear of losing it all.

So in another way, this is the best time of life as I feel (generally) content (awful word), I have the time and money (just about) to enjoy them, and I’m proud of what I’ve built over the last 20 years.

I think every stage of life has its tit bits. The trick is to recognise and enjoy the good bits as often as you can.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My anxiety started with my driving. I have never been an anxious driver but would suddenly get intrusive thoughts I had forgotten how to drive or I was lost or my lights weren't working. I started hating driving.
Then it was work. I also work in a hospital ( hence the total tit name I wish tattle would let us change)
I suddenly started panicking whilst injecting someone that I had drawn up the wrong drug, felt anxious I couldn't remember what basic meds were for. We often get moved to other wards for staffing reasons and I completely flipped one day and just went home instead of the other ward.
Everyone thought I had lost the plot as did I.
I started HRT and also exercise regularly , slowly I feel more me again.

Sorry for the bloody essay 😬
Gosh, that sounds awful! I'm so pleased u found what helps you.
I really need to get more active, I think it would help me alot. Since my little boy has become a toddler I just never seem to have the energy! But I know it would do me the world of good.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone lost their appetite? I just seen to have very little interest in food and am having to make myself eat. I am 49 have no significant symptoms on perimenopause but I assume I must be.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone lost their appetite? I just seen to have very little interest in food and am having to make myself eat. I am 49 have no significant symptoms on perimenopause but I assume I must be.
I’m finding he same feel I’m having to force myself to eat unless it’s chocolate etc then I have no difficulty eating that, but meals i feel
I’m having to make myself eat, and I love my food

I’m glad I found this thread but sorry so many are struggling 🙁 I haven’t had a period in 3 months now. Last year I skipped a couple but it came back, now nothing. I’m only 39 😢 I feel like complete tit - my moods are so up and down, I get so annoyed and irrational. My sleep is awful, always so light and I wake up all the time. I have been to the dr who is just obsessed with the coil which I really don’t want. What do I do? I’m finding it so hard, I don’t know who I am anymore.
I’m also scared that even if I get offered HRT that I will put weight on. I have major body issues and an eating disorder which I’m sure isn’t helping things. I intermittent fast which I have read messes your hormones up but I’m so trapped in this eating hell I don’t know what is peri and what is something else.
Really wish there could just be a simple test to tell you what’s going on. If men had this to deal with, I’m sure one would have been created by now!

Sorry to rant. Feel so down and don’t know where to turn.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I wonder if anyone ever has a trouble free menopause?
I’m nearly 51 and after a couple of years of faff have gone back to periods every 28 days for the last six months?!😒
My pmt is unbearable but it always has been. Periods never been painful or heavy but not to be dramatic, my pmt has dominated my life.

I’m glad I found this thread but sorry so many are struggling 🙁 I haven’t had a period in 3 months now. Last year I skipped a couple but it came back, now nothing. I’m only 39 😢 I feel like complete tit - my moods are so up and down, I get so annoyed and irrational. My sleep is awful, always so light and I wake up all the time. I have been to the dr who is just obsessed with the coil which I really don’t want. What do I do? I’m finding it so hard, I don’t know who I am anymore.
I’m also scared that even if I get offered HRT that I will put weight on. I have major body issues and an eating disorder which I’m sure isn’t helping things. I intermittent fast which I have read messes your hormones up but I’m so trapped in this eating hell I don’t know what is peri and what is something else.
Really wish there could just be a simple test to tell you what’s going on. If men had this to deal with, I’m sure one would have been created by now!

Sorry to rant. Feel so down and don’t know where to turn.
Oh I’m so sorry to hear you are going through that. My GP basically didn’t want to know while I was still 39. I finally got referred after I was 40 and still reporting symptoms.

My advice would be keep a thorough record of everything you are experiencing, including moods and your eating issues. Take it to your GP and flat out ask to be referred to a Gynaecologist who can take it further for you.

I was prescribed HRT (evorel patches and utrogestan tablets) there and then after seeing a Gynaecologist just a month ago and listing my symptoms and reeling off my last 10-12 months of cycles (regular but prolonged periods). I didn’t want the coil either and it wasn’t an issue.

I’d say perhaps reach out about your eating patterns too as it seems to be distressing you a bit. Try and think of perimenopause as a really important time to listen to your body and what it needs; things are changing and we’re going have to roll with it!

Good luck and check in here for help any time!

Reactions: 8
I wonder if anyone ever has a trouble free menopause?
I’m nearly 51 and after a couple of years of faff have gone back to periods every 28 days for the last six months?!😒
My pmt is unbearable but it always has been. Periods never been painful or heavy but not to be dramatic, my pmt has dominated my life.
I was thinking this, I’m 49 this year and apart from my period getting lighter (now not had 1 since March) and weight gain & feeling bloated, I was hoping that’s all I was getting, but nope now getting face flushes, my sleep is terrible, I have no apathy for most things or a lot of people. I feel drained and tired all the time so now thinking it’s coming with a vengeance😭😭

Reactions: 1
Oh I’m so sorry to hear you are going through that. My GP basically didn’t want to know while I was still 39. I finally got referred after I was 40 and still reporting symptoms.

My advice would be keep a thorough record of everything you are experiencing, including moods and your eating issues. Take it to your GP and flat out ask to be referred to a Gynaecologist who can take it further for you.

I was prescribed HRT (evorel patches and utrogestan tablets) there and then after seeing a Gynaecologist just a month ago and listing my symptoms and reeling off my last 10-12 months of cycles (regular but prolonged periods). I didn’t want the coil either and it wasn’t an issue.

I’d say perhaps reach out about your eating patterns too as it seems to be distressing you a bit. Try and think of perimenopause as a really important time to listen to your body and what it needs; things are changing and we’re going have to roll with it!

Good luck and check in here for help any time!
Thanks so much. I have another appointment booked for the GP again next week. I booked it ages ago as it’s so hard to get appointments which is my other worry - if I do get HRT and it doesn’t work, I would have to wait 4 weeks at least to be able to see her to discuss it. It’s a nightmare.
I will mention everything and see what she says. I will also ask to be referred and hope she can do that for me.
Did the HRT help you? Have you noticed any weight gain (don’t answer if that’s inappropriate for me to ask, I hope you don’t mind)?

Reactions: 1
I thought I was sailing through with 10m without periods then I sort of put two and two together with some other health issues I have and my legs started aching every evening and now it's tit :rolleyes:

• Sad
Thanks so much. I have another appointment booked for the GP again next week. I booked it ages ago as it’s so hard to get appointments which is my other worry - if I do get HRT and it doesn’t work, I would have to wait 4 weeks at least to be able to see her to discuss it. It’s a nightmare.
I will mention everything and see what she says. I will also ask to be referred and hope she can do that for me.
Did the HRT help you? Have you noticed any weight gain (don’t answer if that’s inappropriate for me to ask, I hope you don’t mind)?
That’s great you have an appointment already booked in. Bring as much info about symptoms and your cycle as you can.

Get the Balance+ app from Newson Health. Dr Louise Newson is a menopause expert and the app has so much info (a bit baffling at first!) but there is a free ‘preparing for your appointment’ sort of checklist that I wish I’d seen before I had mine (might have cried less if I had a piece of paper to read from!)

It’s only been a month but my mood has DRASTICALLY improved (even with tough life stuff going on, I feel much more able to cope). Too early to know on weight yet though I gave up drinking 14 months ago so am at a happy size for me since losing the wine belly.

I think if your prescription needs adjusting as you go it would be a case of requesting online and they could switch up your prescription (at least that’s how my GP surgery do things, through an app to save on appointments). If you were ever desperate there’s always 111 helpline where you can speak to a clinician.

I’d say gathering information and asserting yourself is the way to go. And be gentle with yourself too, you deserve to feel good. 🤍

That’s great you have an appointment already booked in. Bring as much info about symptoms and your cycle as you can.

Get the Balance+ app from Newson Health. Dr Louise Newson is a menopause expert and the app has so much info (a bit baffling at first!) but there is a free ‘preparing for your appointment’ sort of checklist that I wish I’d seen before I had mine (might have cried less if I had a piece of paper to read from!)

It’s only been a month but my mood has DRASTICALLY improved (even with tough life stuff going on, I feel much more able to cope). Too early to know on weight yet though I gave up drinking 14 months ago so am at a happy size for me since losing the wine belly.

I think if your prescription needs adjusting as you go it would be a case of requesting online and they could switch up your prescription (at least that’s how my GP surgery do things, through an app to save on appointments). If you were ever desperate there’s always 111 helpline where you can speak to a clinician.

I’d say gathering information and asserting yourself is the way to go. And be gentle with yourself too, you deserve to feel good. 🤍
You’re amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Will let you know how I get on next week! I can feel the tears coming just thinking about it so hopefully I don’t cry too much, my dr is so awkward to talk to as it is 🤣

• Heart
You’re amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Will let you know how I get on next week! I can feel the tears coming just thinking about it so hopefully I don’t cry too much, my dr is so awkward to talk to as it is 🤣
Please do! And I’d say honest tears will do nothing but help your case, she’ll have seen it all before. Good luck.

I’m just waking from another night of crazy night sweats - classic symptom that I hope clears up! It’s lessened a little in the last month. That and heavy, painful period. I’m hoping peri is kind of the worst of both worlds?! Can anyone confirm?! 🙏

Is anyone else getting really long heavy clotty periods? Mine are lasting for about 3 weeks. They’ll stop for a few hours and then I get a big heavy downpour with massive clots. It’s making me feel really ill now. I’ve had to ring in sick from work.

• Sad
What amazes me is how women have just kept quiet and cracked for forever about the symptoms of this and just accepted it. So many older women shrug off what we are now all talking about. We didn’t need HRT we just got on with it. All a fuss about nothing etc etc. Why should we just put up with it? some people have terrible times. It’s not over medicalising a natural state it’s medicalising unbearable symptoms!

I have a friend whose mum has told her not to go on HRT despite crappy symptoms cos it causes cancer 🙄 but she drinks alcohol happily . That will always be more a risk than well researched low risk body identical HRT. Each to their own with HRT. i’m not using it… yet. But we shouldn’t be sharing false info on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
In fairness, the 'HRT causing cancer' message was pretty widespread years ago and it does slightly increase your risk. It just wasn't clear that it reduces your risk of other things such as CVD. Plus, it seems to be revolutionary for some women's symptoms so is obviously a sensible choice. As anything, you have to make a decision for you. It's really disappointing that there are so many people trying to make a quick buck in this area.

Reactions: 5