Perimenopause moans #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone else getting really long heavy clotty periods? Mine are lasting for about 3 weeks. They’ll stop for a few hours and then I get a big heavy downpour with massive clots. It’s making me feel really ill now. I’ve had to ring in sick from work.
I think definitely speak to your Doctor about that. Mine seem to be ‘prolonged’ (as the apple health app puts it) lasting usually 9-12 days - exhausting!

They should do blood tests on you. Likely you are low in iron because of all the loss. Maybe start a gentle supplement? This gave me a bit of an energy boost, when sometimes I could fall asleep standing up!

I agree it’s so helpful that it’s spoken about much more now. I think if I wasn’t aware there was the ‘peri’ bit and how long it could last I’d just put this all down to ‘periods’ and not be able to get help.

It’s in the interest of society to provide help (especially now) as women in midlife are such a massive part of the workforce (not to mention raising kids, caring, etc). The country can’t afford for us to be incapacitated! So always ask for all the help you deserve I reckon…

Reactions: 2
In fairness, the 'HRT causing cancer' message was pretty widespread years ago and it does slightly increase your risk. It just wasn't clear that it reduces your risk of other things such as CVD. Plus, it seems to be revolutionary for some women's symptoms so is obviously a sensible choice. As anything, you have to make a decision for you. It's really disappointing that there are so many people trying to make a quick buck in this area.

& people like Davina McCall who monetise the menopause have made various spurious claims like that HRT can REDUCE your risk of dementia. I mean, maybe it can, but she is not a medical expert or scientist and I get very tired of these celebs muddying the already very murky waters with all the conflicting information available.

Reactions: 6
What amazes me is how women have just kept quiet and cracked for forever about the symptoms of this and just accepted it. So many older women shrug off what we are now all talking about. We didn’t need HRT we just got on with it. All a fuss about nothing etc etc. Why should we just put up with it? some people have terrible times. It’s not over medicalising a natural state it’s medicalising unbearable symptoms!

I have a friend whose mum has told her not to go on HRT despite crappy symptoms cos it causes cancer 🙄 but she drinks alcohol happily . That will always be more a risk than well researched low risk body identical HRT. Each to their own with HRT. i’m not using it… yet. But we shouldn’t be sharing false info on it.
I have a family member who is morbidly obese, eats so poorly and does absolutely no exercise. Yet wouldn’t get the Covid jab as she felt it was unsafe 🤔 each to their own and I don’t want to go down conspiracy theories, but agree with you it amazes me that people, and it seems to be women especially, won’t take medical advice but are happy to take other risks with their health

I am still unclear about it reducing the risk of you getting dementia. Some studies show it increases the risk , others that it reduces.

It certainly reduces the risk of you getting osteoporosis, that is very well researched.
All I know personally is it made me enjoy life more and feel me again today. So if future me has dementia at least I had 20 years + being happy and not depressed , anxious and angry.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I am happy to come across this thread. 31YO, think I am going through perimenopause.
Had numerous blood tests, ultrasound, vaginal scans, GYNO appointments which were pointless! currently waiting on another GYNO appointment because my doctor was not sure if I had PCOS because I said I did not have facial hair rapid regrowth. I can not do anything without being out of breath and the hot sweats are just something else. I am waking up in the night and my hair is soaked!! Brain fog, no sex drive. Periods are up and down had about 4 periods since November 2022 and yet still no further forward! Has anyone got any natural remedies? I cant keep going on like this it is making me so depressed. I have tried primrose oil but these just make me so constipated! The NHS in Scotland is a shambles and I can not for the life of me get another doctors appointment!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
I am still unclear about it reducing the risk of you getting dementia. Some studies show it increases the risk , others that it reduces.

It certainly reduces the risk of you getting osteoporosis, that is very well researched.
All I know personally is it made me enjoy life more and feel me again today. So if future me has dementia at least I had 20 years + being happy and not depressed , anxious and angry.

I certainly wasn't dissing HRT per se, just idiot celebrities making unfounded claims and making out they are factual. There is so much misinformation out there, obviously everyone is intelligent enough to make their own informed decisions.

Reactions: 4
I am happy to come across this thread. 31YO, think I am going through perimenopause.
Had numerous blood tests, ultrasound, vaginal scans, GYNO appointments which were pointless! currently waiting on another GYNO appointment because my doctor was not sure if I had PCOS because I said I did not have facial hair rapid regrowth. I can not do anything without being out of breath and the hot sweats are just something else. I am waking up in the night and my hair is soaked!! Brain fog, no sex drive. Periods are up and down had about 4 periods since November 2022 and yet still no further forward! Has anyone got any natural remedies? I cant keep going on like this it is making me so depressed. I have tried primrose oil but these just make me so constipated! The NHS in Scotland is a shambles and I can not for the life of me get another doctors appointment!
I’m not sure about Scotland but I think you can get hrt through the big chemists.
Here you go: https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/hormone-replacement-therapy.html
You’ll pay more than the normal prescription charge obviously but you could see if it helps.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I'm currently taking evening primrose oil, Vitamin D, a multivitamin and an iron/vitamin b12/folic acid tablet. I think I feel on a much more even keel emotionally and the iron has definitely helped with my energy levels. My sleep can still be poor though and I have to travel lots for work into Europe and I find that when I'm tired the brain fog and lack of motivation is dreadful.

I'm currently taking evening primrose oil, Vitamin D, a multivitamin and an iron/vitamin b12/folic acid tablet. I think I feel on a much more even keel emotionally and the iron has definitely helped with my energy levels. My sleep can still be poor though and I have to travel lots for work into Europe and I find that when I'm tired the brain fog and lack of motivation is dreadful.
I take magnesium for sleep, but don’t think it’s working, as it takes me ages to get to sleep and seem to be wakening up at the same time every night now

Can you buy it if you are under 50? I've heard that they are prescription only for under 50s. I'd be interested in topical oestrogen.
I looked at the first page of the request treatment and she didn’t come up but you’d need to go through the lot to find out I guess. You don’t have to be 50 to get hrt from a doctor though.
---
I take magnesium for sleep, but don’t think it’s working, as it takes me ages to get to sleep and seem to be wakening up at the same time every night now
Try taking an iron tablet at night instead for a few days and see if that’s better.

I looked at the first page of the request treatment and she didn’t come up but you’d need to go through the lot to find out I guess. You don’t have to be 50 to get hrt from a doctor though.
---
I know , but I bet I'd have bother getting someone to prescribe it.
I've had a quick look through that , it wants a blood pressure reading and the address of my gp because they have to notify them , apparently.

Any ideas about problems with joints. I really struggle now to walk, as my ankle and knee joints are so stiff and painful. I've only had this in past year like this. It's incredibly debilitating. I'm 48 and not taking hrt

Any ideas about problems with joints. I really struggle now to walk, as my ankle and knee joints are so stiff and painful. I've only had this in past year like this. It's incredibly debilitating. I'm 48 and not taking hrt
Yoga and magnesium baths? I’ve had knee issues lately but it’s been due to my hips, stretching really helped.
I know , but I bet I'd have bother getting someone to prescribe it.
I've had a quick look through that , it wants a blood pressure reading and the address of my gp because they have to notify them , apparently.
You won’t know if you don’t try I guess.

I'm in the same boat, everything from my hips downwards aches. As it's an even pain I can only think it must be hormonal. Is your worse in the evenings?

• Sad
I'm in the same boat, everything from my hips downwards aches. As it's an even pain I can only think it must be hormonal. Is your worse in the evenings?
Yes, my hips are sore, knees and just can't relax my legs. I sit for a bit then I'm stiff when I get up.

I went to London yesterday and the pain was horrendous. Struggled with steps mostly and there were loads. Leg pain is almost constant. The stiffness too. Do you find any pain help?

Yes, my hips are sore, knees and just can't relax my legs. I sit for a bit then I'm stiff when I get up.

I went to London yesterday and the pain was horrendous. Struggled with steps mostly and there were loads. Leg pain is almost constant. The stiffness too. Do you find any pain help?
I'd say they cut it by about 25% but it's still there and it doesn't seem to get to the root of the problem in that the stiffness is still there. I'd say it feels and looks like I have false legs and feet. I tried Horse Chestnut tablets as that's supposed to help with 'healthy leg circulation' but it did nothing.

I bought a magnesium massage bar from Lush, think it was £10 . I rub it on my shoulders and legs at night after a shower and sometimes in a morning and have found a difference in my aching legs and shoulders.

Reactions: 4