Peaches Geldof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

This is the Julie Burchill article on Paula if anyone’s interested. It’s quite scathing but she does make some salient points.

However, it’s interesting how the press and media did treat Paula when they found out about the affair with MH. If a man had an affair and left his wife and children in favour of another woman, it would barely be a headline, yet it followed Paula around til her death. I’m not condoning either, but it’s interesting how differently she was treated (of course Paula has to take the blame of that somewhat as she used the press to her advantage at times eg the breaking news of the affair). You also have to wonder if Tiger was planned. There’s a weird but in the book about it all when she says that she and Michael had been planning a baby for ages, and this was when she was still firmly with Bob. It does throw questions over the paternity of some of the other kids (Pixie especially, who doesn’t look like any of them).
Burchill is an abhorrent bleep but she is a bleeping sublime writer. Shame she's become a professional troll in recent years.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Burchill is an abhorrent bleep but she is a bleeping sublime writer. Shame she's become a professional troll in recent years.
This. She is the lowest of the low but I'd read a shopping list if she wrote it. The thing with her is, she knows she's an abhorrent bleep. This is a masterpiece from her quite frankly. Painfully honest when no one else at the time dared be. The thing about Burchill is that she seems so amoral that she says the things no one else would ever say. Her one redeeming feature is that she treats herself with the same venom she treats everyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I would like to see your evidence that the safe sleep 7 reduces SIDS risk. The largest meta analysis I have seen stated bedsharing increases SIDS risk by 5 times even in the absence of the three major risk factors.
Co-sleeping is natural though. When breastfeeding mothers sleep alongside their babies, the baby sleeps at breast level and is protected from bedsheets etc by the mother's arms. The baby and mother wake up to nurse and go back to sleep at the same time. Whereas non-breastfed babies are usually placed with their heads on the pillows and body under the duvet, and these are the babies likely to end up suffocated.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

This is the Julie Burchill article on Paula if anyone’s interested. It’s quite scathing but she does make some salient points.
Wow, that’s an absolutely savage piece. And yes, definitely made a lot of salient points (whilst leaving plenty of room for some extremely unflattering anecdotes 😄).

Reactions: 9
The results of the inquest: https://tattle.life/threads/19920/

I followed Peaches on Instagram for a couple of years before she died, and I was shocked to find out that she was a heroin addict. I totally believed her Earth Mother persona and attachment parenting way of life. I was fascinated with how they seemed to manage so well with two young sons under 2, and she was seemingly so honest on Instagram with the struggles of getting hardly any sleep, the mountains of pooey nappies etc. A few things that I have noted, and a few things I have wondered about:

1) Thomas Cohen's parents are both social workers. That makes it even harder to understand why baby P was brought to Peaches on the Saturday.
2) There is NO WAY you can live in the same house and parent two babies with a heroin addict and not know. Heroin is far from a subtle drug, and not only would Thomas have noticed that she was high, she also had a significant amount of needle marks on wrists and arms at the time of her death. He knew.
3) Saying that, how could he have left an 11 month old in her care?
4) Bob Geldof knew about her drug problems, this is why he didn't have any contact with her and her family the years before her death. On Instagram, she would reply that he had made the choice not to have any contact but would not say why, if people asked her about her dad. Cue people saying nasty things about Bob, for being "judgemental" etc.
5) She claimed on Instagram that the reason why she didn't breastfeed either baby was due to being hypothyroid and needing to take medicine for it. I have hypothyroidism, and taking levothyroxine is not dangerous in the slightest to a fetus or a breastfeeding baby. Opiates obviously are though.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 40
I
Co-sleeping is natural though. When breastfeeding mothers sleep alongside their babies, the baby sleeps at breast level and is protected from bedsheets etc by the mother's arms. The baby and mother wake up to nurse and go back to sleep at the same time. Whereas non-breastfed babies are usually placed with their heads on the pillows and body under the duvet, and these are the babies likely to end up suffocated.
I had a co-sleeping cot with my first baby. I don't know if they exist anymore, but it was a sort of add on to the bed. I could roll him to me for a feed then roll him back out when he had finished (never!) I don't know what the current advice is as this was 12 years ago and it was a fairly popular practice if you weren't on drugs or drinking. To be honest, he was a dreadful sleeper and eater (still is!) and I didn't do it with my second son as he slept much better and it was a lifesaver for me, but who knows if I was just lucky?
If Peaches really did co-sleep, rather than just saying she did as part of her 'attachment parenting' persona, she would have been doing an incredibly dangerous thing. As above really, we were only do it if you are breastfeeding through the night, as the attachment to the breast stops the baby from slipping or rolling and I often slept with no covers and him in a sleeping bag. She wasn't as she was pregnant immediately. But as I said, it was a long time ago and advice changes every 5 minutes when it comes to babies!

Reactions: 6
I often think about Peaches Geldof, it’s such a waste of a life that she is gone. I think it’s because she was only a few years older than me and she seemed to have her whole life together, I was almost jealous of her lovely kids and her super cool husband. I remember where I was, on the bus, when the news about her death came through, and how shocked I was when the verdict came out that it was heroin.
I heard from a friend of a friend who went to school with Thomas Cohen that is is incredibly nice.

He Killed Her: Apparently, he confessed. He got drunk and confessed. He did so to the sister of the woman he killed who he was also sleeping with. He says he killed her because she was going to leave him and take the kids. So, since she already had issues with drugs, he just gave her a little more
You actually believe that?

About sharing a bed with your baby - Peaches used to be very open about the fact that her and Thomas often took one baby each and co-slept in separate bedrooms. I've wondered if she took these opportunities to use, away from Thomas's view. A baby can't tell on you. :(

• Sad
The fact that she was so into the attachment parenting means those poor bairns must have been so perplexed for such a long time when she passed. They went from being with her pretty much 24/7 to her being completely absent.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
The fact that she was so into the attachment parenting means those poor bairns must have been so perplexed for such a long time when she passed. They went from being with her pretty much 24/7 to her being completely absent.
hopefully they have the good happy mama memories, and don’t remember her too much to cause them grief and loss in their future. they were and ARE so so young, hopefully they won’t grow up missing her, remembering her through pictures and don’t feel the loss hard enough to be the snake eating its tail...... paula, peaches, then one of her little boys would be too cruel.

Probably not paying attention because they'd seen it all before 🙊

I have to preface this by saying I don't KNOW her or her sister because I only ever saw them when I was either extremely drunk or on MDMA or what have you. Everyone i hung out with, and admittedly me, was wild back in those days and she wouldn't have been much more off the charts than the rest of us as far as I knew. I knew when those pictures came out about 3 years later though.

I only met her a handful of times and only really when she was with her sister. a close friend of mine (regrettably) went out with Pixie for a while. They were both * very * loud and obnoxious. Pixie seemed a little more grown up but for me Peaches especially was the type of person I'd try to get away from as the night went on because she was always a bit much and bit tooooo messy and in your face. I say this when everyone else, me included was off their face. i mean we all got far too drunk and most of us took all drugs. Some of the older people in their late 20s in the group just drank by that point. so it wasn't that the partying that made me uncomfortable. She was just tiresome. I remember her being shouty and clingy and rude and pretentious to some of my friends because we were true camden heads- a little on the gothy side 😅 a bit strange to her I guess. . I also remember Pixie getting pissed off when Peaches would go and hang off a certain group of people. In hindsight, I know why now. She was this whirlwind tearing through everything, a mess really. and then years later I saw peaches in a magazine and she looked like a delicate porcelain doll. She was beautiful and she was pregnant at the time posing beside her boyfriend, who I thought looked a bit like her dad when he was young but whatever. And I thought "wow, good for you girl, you grew up, you've had your fun and transformed yourself"

Like with her mum, I think there was a bit of revisionism after her death.
She fooled everyone and herself into thinking she had a handle on things. She wasn't very kind to outsiders or pleasant and she wasn't just a bit wild, as we know. I'm sure underneath it all she was a nice person. I would never martyr her but it is sad that she became an addict. Like I said earlier, we all know what heroin does, especially her, people tend to start taking it when they don't want to feel anything and I think that's what happened with her.
I'll bet our paths crossed a few times. I have similar stories! I never hung out with her though. I too was really surprised when she went from a grubby looking girl with crappy hair extensions into a demure but glamorous china doll. It almost seemed like it happened over night and there was no in between phase.

I have never heard of Faversham in particular having a heroin problem but certainly many rural areas do have social problems. We looked at a house in Faversham but we decided to go more rural as parts of it are a bit rough around the edges.

As for what is said about Geldof it very much depends which you speak to, although his anti Brexit campaigns haven't gone down too well generally.

Reactions: 5
You actually believe that?
Nope, that’s why I wrote in my original post ‘ this blind which I really can’t believe is true at all?! I heard from a friend of a friend who went to school with Thomas Cohen that he is incredibly nice.’... it just got me thinking about her

This from wikipedia:

Yates first met Michael Hutchence in a 1985 interview on Channel 4's rock magazine programme The Tube. During this appearance on The Tube, Yates was reportedly asked to leave Hutchence alone by the road manager of INXS when she walked up to him and said, "I'm going to have that boy." Yates was unmoved and began to show up at INXS gigs everywhere for the next few years, even bringing her daughter (Fifi Geldof).[10] Yates maintained irregular contact with Hutchence during the intervening nine years and their affair had been under way for some months before their Big Breakfast interview in October 1994 .

Jesus, the second hand embarrasment!!!! I honestly don't know how anyone could stand the woman tbh. I can't bear Bob Geldof but I feel so sorry for him.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I'm sure there is some footage of Paula Yates at the Faversham home advocating her own parenting style. She would leave pots and pans in low down cupboards so they could crawl about an grab them. I can't find it now.

I can't believe that article about how Peaches was when she was 17. I am so shocked the writers daughter was injured and they were so isolated from any kind of supervision no one told her. I know l'm being judge but l wouldn't have continued to let my daughter go there after learning no one was even checking on them. It's almost as though the kids were just the trappings of middle class life. I fail to see how social services thought it was a good idea to let Heavenly Hiraani go and live there. Back to the whole class thing...

I wonder if HH sees MH's family.

Reactions: 9
This from wikipedia:

Yates first met Michael Hutchence in a 1985 interview on Channel 4's rock magazine programme The Tube. During this appearance on The Tube, Yates was reportedly asked to leave Hutchence alone by the road manager of INXS when she walked up to him and said, "I'm going to have that boy." Yates was unmoved and began to show up at INXS gigs everywhere for the next few years, even bringing her daughter (Fifi Geldof).[10] Yates maintained irregular contact with Hutchence during the intervening nine years and their affair had been under way for some months before their Big Breakfast interview in October 1994 .

Jesus, the second hand embarrasment!!!! I honestly don't know how anyone could stand the woman tbh. I can't bear Bob Geldof but I feel so sorry for him.
There are so many conflicting accounts though (most of them from Paula tbf). There’s a bit on YouTube about that interview, where PY and Jools Holland are looking back at it, and she says that MH asked her back to his hotel room after the interview and she told him ‘I can’t, I’ve got a baby’

I agree that she absolutely went after him. But the narrative seems to be that MH just couldn’t say no, ‘poor Michael, what a stalker she was’. But he was a willing partner to begin with (you only have to see their chemistry on the Big Breakfast interview for that, however cringe you find it. He couldn’t take his eyes off her).

He could’ve always turned her down. He knew she was married and he and Bob Geldof were allegedly friends. He has to take some share of the blame

• Heart
Reactions: 33
This from wikipedia:

She was bloody nightmare did she never suffer from embarrasment,? Presumably not.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
I

I had a co-sleeping cot with my first baby. I don't know if they exist anymore, but it was a sort of add on to the bed. I could roll him to me for a feed then roll him back out when he had finished (never!) I don't know what the current advice is as this was 12 years ago and it was a fairly popular practice if you weren't on drugs or drinking. To be honest, he was a dreadful sleeper and eater (still is!) and I didn't do it with my second son as he slept much better and it was a lifesaver for me, but who knows if I was just lucky?
If Peaches really did co-sleep, rather than just saying she did as part of her 'attachment parenting' persona, she would have been doing an incredibly dangerous thing. As above really, we were only do it if you are breastfeeding through the night, as the attachment to the breast stops the baby from slipping or rolling and I often slept with no covers and him in a sleeping bag. She wasn't as she was pregnant immediately. But as I said, it was a long time ago and advice changes every 5 minutes when it comes to babies!
It’s possible to breastfeed and be pregnant simultaneously although the fact she got pregnant within a month or so could have affected supply. Hopefully she wasn’t breastfeeding simply because she was smacked off her tits on heroin or taking methadone

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.