Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Article in the DM about Tiger Lily, off the back of the Paula documentary.
Nothing terribly new but she is known as Heavenly now. And apparantly was meant to get Ā£36m from Michael's estate and got nothing as it had 'all gone'.
It also said Fifi had a tempestuous relationship with Paula for years and they weren't speaking.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Nothing terribly new but she is known as Heavenly now. And apparantly was meant to get Ā£36m from Michael's estate and got nothing as it had 'all gone'.
It also said Fifi had a tempestuous relationship with Paula for years and they weren't speaking.
I can imagine that, as the eldest, Fifi would have the most complaints as sheā€™d have been old enough to know what was going on, and to be dumped with the little ones to entertain, at times.
I can also see Tigerbeing known as ā€œHevā€ and flying under the radar

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Yes, this was what Fifi had to say about it. She basically took on Paulaā€™s role as mother when Paula opted out of it to sit on MHā€™s crotch and her dad was severely depressed. I often feel like Bobs mental health is overlooked, as he is quite private. He clearly was destroyed by all that went on, much of which was not of his own choosing or in his control. The poor children suffered even worse, having zero control over what was happening. THIS is why I have always judged Paula so hard. She was just.. selfish

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
Yes, this was what Fifi had to say about it. She basically took on Paulaā€™s role as mother when Paula opted out of it to sit on MHā€™s crotch and her dad was severely depressed. I often feel like Bobs mental health is overlooked, as he is quite private. He clearly was destroyed by all that went on, much of which was not of his own choosing or in his control. The poor children suffered even worse, having zero control over what was happening. THIS is why I have always judged Paula so hard. She was just.. selfish

Paula was never on my radar, I was too young at her height of fame, but from everything I have read about her this is what shines through. She was incredibly selfish, which is fine, some people are just wired that way but selfish people shouldn't have children or at least keep having children. She choose to have 4 that she didn't seem to have any interest in mothering properly.

I do feel like she looked on MH as a prize and I feel her inability to accept his suicide (which is what his death is reported as in every article I read and even in the 2019 Mystify documentary) seems more about her bruised ego than anything else. Which is just horrific to me, that she tried to change the narrative of his death to make herself feel better šŸ¤Æ

She obviously had a tit childhood but she then went on to do the same to her daughters. Poor Peaches never had a chance.

• Heart
Paula was never on my radar, I was too young at her height of fame, but from everything I have read about her this is what shines through. She was incredibly selfish, which is fine, some people are just wired that way but selfish people shouldn't have children or at least keep having children. She choose to have 4 that she didn't seem to have any interest in mothering properly.

I do feel like she looked on MH as a prize and I feel her inability to accept his suicide (which is what his death is reported as in every article I read and even in the 2019 Mystify documentary) seems more about her bruised ego than anything else. Which is just horrific to me, that she tried to change the narrative of his death to make herself feel better šŸ¤Æ

She obviously had a tit childhood but she then went on to do the same to her daughters. Poor Peaches never had a chance.
I don't know much about Paula's childhood was it THAT bad? In the doc she appeared to have adored the guy who brought her up Jess Yates. He had a mental illness but she seemed to o get on well with him. I know folk who have had horrific childhoods but choose not to inflict the same on their own kids. I agree one kid was more than enough for her. She probably had Tiger to try and keep MH or have some kind of permanent contact with him through the baby. Why on earth did she give her kids such stupid names?

Reactions: 16
I don't know much about Paula's childhood was it THAT bad? In the doc she appeared to have adored the guy who brought her up Jess Yates. He had a mental illness but she seemed to o get on well with him. I know folk who have had horrific childhoods but choose not to inflict the same on their own kids. I agree one kid was more than enough for her. She probably had Tiger to try and keep MH or have some kind of permanent contact with him through the baby. Why on earth did she give her kids such stupid names?
Oh I am 100% with you, tit childhood or not is no excuse. I had a tit one and have spent my adult life ensuring I heal from it so I give my children the best childhood possible. I didn't mean to sound like I was making excuses for her!!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

yes, to narcissistsitā€™s, people are objects and prizes, not individuals with their own set of emotions and thoughts.

by her own admission, she always had to be with the next big rockstar. That was her fixation from a young girl. As soon as they lost their shine or career dwindled, she found a replacement. Textbook narc.

I suspect that Fifi was parentified and scapegoated. I suspect she had to grow up quickly and itā€™s why sheā€™s stayed out of the spotlight and leads a quiet life. She was an adult when she was a child.

peaches was old enough to pick up on what was going on even if she didnā€™t understand it and had probably put her mother on a pedestal, hence why she seemed to morph into a Paula mini-me. By the sound of things she inherited some narcissistic tendencies.

I think Pixie and Tigerlily probably had an escape from Paulaā€™s influence because they were too young to understand or remember.

very sad all round, but then when adults donā€™t process or heal from their trauma they just create chaos and misery around them. Some people are damaged to the point they are incapable of self reflection and incapable of healing themselves, which I think was the case with Paula.

she didnā€™t seem to have any emotional intelligence. She knew she chased after rock stars and needed to be with a high profile man, she admitted to this. But she never seemed questioned why or if it was healthy or tried to disengage from that behaviour, at the expense of everyone around her.

After Michael died, she got into a relationship with a relatively unknown person, and I think that was a sign of her giving up. Addressing her issues was not an option for her, in her own mind I think.
Iā€™ve always thought that, sadly, Peaches was just another victim of her motherā€™s narcissism, rather than a victim of addiction. The addiction was a coping mechanism from the wounds inflicted by Paula and her childhood.

I think at least Pixie, Fifi and Tigerlily have broken the cycle by the looks of things, and are the real heroes in this sad story. I wish people would focus less on the doomed-lovers angle of Paula and Michael because it really isnā€™t that romantic. It was a toxic relationship based on vulnerability and control and superficiality that would never have lasted.

but the girls making a success of their lives and adjusting as adults, in the midst of so much trauma, is the real story there.

I remember years ago the daily Mail did a bit of an unkind story showing pixie (when she had a little bit of puppy fat) in a swimsuit. The commentators didnā€™t take the bait though, and I think the top comment was along the lines of, ā€œthis young woman has been through more in her short life than most of us, and sheā€™s still standingā€

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I'd not realised that Tiger Lily's ex used to be in Tame Impala (my son's favourite band).
She seems to be living a peaceful, happy life and moving to Australia seems to have been good for her.

I agree with the comments about Paula's obsession with Michael. I believe she was completely in thrall to him, would have done anything he said, or anything to keep him with her. Had Michael lived longer, I don't see there having been a happy ending for them; if he'd left her I think she would have tried desperately to get him back, and if that failed I'm not sure she would have wanted to go on living. Or they'd have stayed together with him resenting her the more she clung on to him. Her obsession was such I don't think she ever considered the children in any of it, he was her entire focus.

It's sad because she was an intelligent articulate woman, with real individuality, but she was also selfish and narcissistic.

It's true that the 3 surviving sisters leading 'normal', happy lives is the real story, I truly hope they have broken the cycle of childhood trauma leading to adult dysfunction.

Reactions: 21
Bob cheated on Paula too though didnā€™t he? He just never left the marriage, unlike Paula.
Also, I donā€™t think it was just for Paulaā€™s ego that she didnā€™t want everyone to think Michael died by suicide, she didnā€™t want Tiger Lily to think her dad didnā€™t love her enough to carry on living.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'd not realised that Tiger Lily's ex used to be in Tame Impala (my son's favourite band).
She seems to be living a peaceful, happy life and moving to Australia seems to have been good for her.

I agree with the comments about Paula's obsession with Michael. I believe she was completely in thrall to him, would have done anything he said, or anything to keep him with her. Had Michael lived longer, I don't see there having been a happy ending for them; if he'd left her I think she would have tried desperately to get him back, and if that failed I'm not sure she would have wanted to go on living. Or they'd have stayed together with him resenting her the more she clung on to him. Her obsession was such I don't think she ever considered the children in any of it, he was her entire focus.

It's sad because she was an intelligent articulate woman, with real individuality, but she was also selfish and narcissistic.

It's true that the 3 surviving sisters leading 'normal', happy lives is the real story, I truly hope they have broken the cycle of childhood trauma leading to adult dysfunction.
It is fascinating that the three girls now appear to completely shun the limelight and publicity. I know Pixie went through a semi famous phase but seems very private now.

Reactions: 12
Bob cheated on Paula too though didnā€™t he? He just never left the marriage, unlike Paula.
Also, I donā€™t think it was just for Paulaā€™s ego that she didnā€™t want everyone to think Michael died by suicide, she didnā€™t want Tiger Lily to think her dad didnā€™t love her enough to carry on living.
By making out his death was a ritualistic sex experiment gone wrong? I think that was extremely disrespectful of Paula and had nothing to do with her caring for her daughters feelings.

• Heart
In this interview Bob says neither Michael or Paula killed themselves, they were both accidental deaths.

He cried in this interview. I remember watching it and thinking he really did love her. I never knew he also had affairs at the time I watched the interview.

He says Tiger Lily calls him Dad but she also knows about her real Dad (and said he was a better singer than Bob!).

• Heart
Reactions: 12
one of Paulā€™s friends said Paula would call her while living in Hastings a little desolate and asking her for reassurance that Michael loved her. Not TL, her. Paula. She was primarily concerned with her own ego, she needed confirmation that she was the girl that bagged the rockstar. By killing himself, Michael completely undermined that belief, that core need Paula needed. Paula wasnā€™t concerned about his pain or what led him to that, she was concerned if he loved her.

even in the 90s people recognised that suicide is complex and itā€™s never one single thing that triggers it. Even then people recognised that it wasnā€™t about not loving family and friends enough to ā€œcarry onā€. I have no doubt michael adored his daughter, but itā€™s not about that. Suicidal people donā€™t think clearly and especially not when they have a drug problem, mental health issues and a brain injury.

paula never once in her life demonstrated that she put her children and their well-being first, so I donā€™t buy that she suddenly grew a deep concern for Tiger Lily. As a narcissist (sadly) her focus was always going to be primarily on herself and her own ego.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Yes the other 3 girls who have been through such trauma and managed to break the cycle are the heroes of this sad story. I hope that they have all found the happiness and self worth that their mother couldnā€™t.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Paula sounds a lot like Hughie Green, his kids say they had a dysfunctional family. Hughie spent long periods away from them and had very little genuine interest in them. He also had a lof of affairs and drank an awful lot, he sounds like a narcissist, an even though he didn't bring her up she inherited a lot of his personality.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
I also noted that Bobā€™s Mum died when she was 41, same age as Paula when she died. He was 6 when his mum died, so he obviously had experience of the loss of a parent at a young age to share with Tiger Lily and Peaches two sons šŸ˜¢

• Sad
Reactions: 20
I donā€™t know much about Paulaā€™s childhood, but in an older thread we discussed how her mum wasnā€™t the best either.
The discussion starts around here -

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.