Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you are in your 50s, how is Paula “before your time”.
Anyone who watched TV or read newspapers in the '80s would have been aware of her. She was ubiquitous.

One thing that stood out, as far as I was concerned, was that big tattoo - mostly because she was the first middle-class female TV presenter I'd ever seen who had one.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Which was kind of quite sweet until it became apparent the earth mother who attachment parented was off her face on methadone or heroin.
I liked peaches but it still makes my blood boil that she was forcing this earth mother facade down our throats whilst being a heroin addict. Its lying in the most bold way. She was a total fake.

Reactions: 35
Honestly I think she was trying to fool herself as much as anyone else. That's what she wanted to be but just couldn't kick the addiction

Reactions: 33
I want to be a ballerina but I’m not. I don’t go around telling lies claiming that I am a ballerina, and then sneering at people who aren’t to make them feel like tit.

• Heart
  • Haha
I’m a couple of years younger than that, and she wasn’t before my time. I was a kid when she was famous for the Tube and being Geldof’s girlfriend/ wife in the 80’s but I was still aware of her. I probably missed her tv shows as they were usually late night, but she was on the Big Breakfast when I was a teenager. If you weren’t aware of her when the Hutchence affair broke, you must have been living under a rock.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I love Patsy Kensit for that impressive high kick she was photographed throwing at Liams car. HI AH

• Haha
  • Heart
She was before my time in the sense that she was known as a journalist and for writing books, but I had never seen that, I knew her name long before I’d seen her do any work. Then she was on the Tube when that started. Her fame went before her, so I felt like I was missing something. She was someone who presented one TV show and had a famous spouse but I always felt like I didn’t quite get why she was so very famous. Of course once she started with Hutchence they were everywhere, she presented that award in the Versace dress, she was on HIGNFY, but she was never that ubiquitous before Michael. As I recall it.
She was perhaps more of a celebrity than someone who “did“ something - presenter, actor, whatever. Which now means nothing because so many are like that, particularly since reality tv and social media, in those days it was unusual.

Reactions: 10
I think this is a bit harsh on Patsy, if you read her book she genuinely fell in love with her husbands, she doesn’t come across as manipulative or scheming, rather the reverse, a bit naive. I don’t think she could be called a groupie, she was rather strait laced at least until she met Liam 😂 - she’s been a good mum to James and Lennon and clearly loves them to bits and has always earned her own money.
I quite like Patsy Kensit too, I wouldn't put her in the Paula Yates category.

Reactions: 12
She has acted in East Ender's recently and the Botox makes her look like a Madam Tussauds dummy. I wouldn't put her in the same category as PY though.

Reactions: 13
I want to be a ballerina but I’m not. I don’t go around telling lies claiming that I am a ballerina, and then sneering at people who aren’t to make them feel like tit.
Exactly. I mean, addicts lie, we know this, but what Peaches did was another level. It’s one thing to pretend to your nearest and dearest that you’re not using when you are, but she did more than that.

Peaches constructed a whole fantasy mothering life in which she wasn’t just a great mother, she was better than everyone else. Personally I think the attachment/gentle parent movement is really toxic and brainwashes women into hating on mothers who they see as “doing it wrong”. But in reality they’re desperately insecure themselves. Of course we know why Peaches was insecure about herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Also I have issues with the narrative where we look down on women who are considered ‘groupies’ because they set out to have sex or relationships with famous ppl like footballers and musicians but no one says a word about the blokes taking advantage of the women. Total double standard where women who have casual sex are slags but blokes are applauded and called studs or swordsmen. Patsy and Sadie Frost were both more famous or as famous as their husbands, they were not groupies. I’m not having a go at anyone on tattle mind you, we can end up reflecting societal norms based on the warped society we live in, I’m as guilty if it as everyone and to be fair Liam got loads of stick for having that kid in New York, it ended his marriage to Nicole. If that journalist was coming onto him, he was the married one, was it worth it to have a quick legover to lose his wife? But would I turn Harry Styles down if he gave me the eye? Probably not 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
I do think Peaches was a very confused person who really latched onto the identity that made her feel most valued at the time: Peaches the DJ, Peaches the rock star girlfriend, Peaches the Scientologist, Peaches the Earth Mother etc.

Fundamentally I think the earth mother persona was very much who she wanted to be at the time, the best version of herself, but her addiction meant she couldn't manage it. And addicts lie. Peaches was no exception.

I also feel like I remember the earth mother persona is when public opinion really shifted in her favour. A lot of people saw her as a silly rich party girl turned mum and wife who'd managed to turn things round. A lot of people were genuinely shocked when she died and when they found out how. If you were Peaches, who's been slated in the press since you were a teen and are finally getting some decent press for a change, I can see why she would have felt immense pressure to keep that image up and not tell people what she was struggling with.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Lukewarm old Geldof ☕
I only just remembered my friend used to live near the Geldof's massive house in Kent in the 80s. She would often see Bob walking around the fields and said he was always polite. Every year the Geldof's used to have a sort of fete in their grounds open to all the village. I think they only had Fifi at that point? Not sure. Paula was going through her outwardly immersing herself in country life phase.
She had said she wanted to write a series of fiction books about goings on in village life like 'Miss Read'. But also wanted to do her 'Rock stars in their underpants' book at about the same time.

Reactions: 19
I think this is a bit harsh on Patsy, if you read her book she genuinely fell in love with her husbands, she doesn’t come across as manipulative or scheming, rather the reverse, a bit naive. I don’t think she could be called a groupie, she was rather strait laced at least until she met Liam 😂 - she’s been a good mum to James and Lennon and clearly loves them to bits and has always earned her own money.
My aunty worked in the law firm that handled patsy kensits divorce. She often popped to the toilet and came out with a very dusty nose apparently... make of that what you will.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
My aunty worked in the law firm that handled patsy kensits divorce. She often popped to the toilet and came out with a very dusty nose apparently... make of that what you will.
To be fair I’d probably have ended up on the coke if I’d been married to Liam 🥴
I should have added I suppose it depended on which Hubby she was divorcing at the time.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I liked peaches but it still makes my blood boil that she was forcing this earth mother facade down our throats whilst being a heroin addict. Its lying in the most bold way. She was a total fake.
Well she had Paula as her role model of what a mother should be, no wonder she never looked comfortable. I’m sure she loved those kids to bits, but it certainly was a case of fake it till you make it. In this case she didn’t sadly. I never envied the Geldof kids, stupid names, dressed like rag dolls being dragged to every event going.
---
To be fair I’d probably have ended up on the coke if I’d been married to Liam 🥴
I should have added I suppose it depended on which Hubby she was divorcing at the time.
Liam if I recall… yeah me too, I cannot stand him. Too cocky for my liking 😂

Reactions: 16
I'm 45 and l remember Paula fairly well. The Hughie Green scandal, Michael, Bob, The Word, The Big Breakfast..

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Well she had Paula as her role model of what a mother should be, no wonder she never looked comfortable. I’m sure she loved those kids to bits, but it certainly was a case of fake it till you make it. In this case she didn’t sadly. I never envied the Geldof kids, stupid names, dressed like rag dolls being dragged to every event going.
---

Liam if I recall… yeah me too, I cannot stand him. Too cocky for my liking 😂
Liam must have a massive cock it would explain him having to swagger instead of walk and his confidence in his looks. He has more hair on his eyebrows than cavewomen had on their Fanny’s.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Not sure. Paula was going through her outwardly immersing herself in country life phase
Loads of celebs go through that phase. Lily Allen went through an escape to the country, earth mother phase. Alex from Blur did his cheese making thing (is he still doing that?). Even Elvis bought a farm and went through a horse rancher phase. Then they get bored, miss all the attention they were previously moaning about, realise their money’s running out and go back to taking drugs and performing for a living.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.