Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The perfect mother image was also emulated by Peaches, another tit mum who was trying to make other mums feel like crap.

Reactions: 28
I used to really like Paula back in the day. She was so full of personality and fiercely intelligent. Her sad decline and death was such a tragedy for all concerned and, of course, the ripples spreading out years later to the loss of Peaches in eerily similar circumstances.
fiercely manipulative perhaps. She lacked any real emotional intelligence and doesn’t appear to have been academically inclined either.

my guess is that her parents’ literary/showbiz connections helped young Paula get a leg up in music journalism and how she got a co-presenting gig in her early 20s. That and her relationship with Bob Geldof.

she met Bob at a Christmas party in 1977 - how many 18 year olds find themselves partying with internationally renowned musicians? 18 year olds with family connections, that’s who. And how did this relationship take off and propel her into the limelight? Because Paula love bombed Geldof to the extent his band mates called her the limpet. She was very manipulative, very early on in life. and while I am a little judgemental of Paula, I say that from a place of pity for her - because to be that manipulative, that young and to never be able to emotionally mature: Paula must’ve had a pretty unhappy and traumatic upbringing.

Reactions: 34
She definitely shouldn’t have had any more children. She was a terrible mother who put her own needs first. All that Enid Blytonesque fake happy childhood photo shoots she did with the younger girls was ridiculous.
I agree, it was all a big fat lie. Never liked PY and found her 'talent' overrated, she was a bad mother and very manipulative from what I've read over the years.

Reactions: 15
she met Bob at a Christmas party in 1977 - how many 18 year olds find themselves partying with internationally renowned musicians?
Er, actually, I’d think a fair few girls under the age of 18 found themselves partying with musicians back then. I don’t think Paula needed to be a nepo baby to party with rock stars. Many so called rock ‘legends’ indulged in the groupie culture and I doubt many of them checked their ID beforehand, or would even have cared. I find the fact that these men thought that was ok a lot worse than Paula using it to her advantage.

This is ofc, a separate discussion to how good of a parent she was. And she was a tit mother. But there are plenty of things to criticise her for and the above is not one of them, imo. There was an 8 year age gap between Geldof and Yates. I’m sure if he didn’t like the attention, he would have wriggled out of it somehow.
---
All that Enid Blytonesque fake happy childhood photo shoots she did with the younger girls was ridiculous
My mum hated her because she was on Wogan once saying that you should never let a man see you shaving your legs. I think she’d written a book about how to be the perfect wife or something and it was all about keeping your man happy and 1950’s tit. Not sure if there was a chapter on what to do if your husband found out you’d been shagging a sex god on the side or not but I doubt it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I remember reading about how she jumped on a plane to Paris wearing a ball gown, in her pursuit of Bob Geldof and I wondered how she managed to fund that kind of lifestyle at the age she was. I guess she had a healthy allowance from her parents? At her age, I could barely afford the coach fare into London!

Reactions: 20
When I used to watch The Tube I was a small town girl who had a couple of shops to buy clothes from.
I had never really seen ladies with tattoos on their arms and the vintage style clothes that Paula wore.
Now if you don’t have a tattoo you are different and you can buy whatever clothes you want from th’internet .
The children’s names were all very different to the Lauren’s and Rebecca’s that were in where I live.
She liked attention and pushing boundaries but I did find her interesting when I was a teen.
Now I’m a mum and granny I just think that she was either just very selfish or had trauma that she couldn’t cope with and using hard drugs is never ever going to end well x

Reactions: 37
When I used to watch The Tube I was a small town girl who had a couple of shops to buy clothes from.
I had never really seen ladies with tattoos on their arms and the vintage style clothes that Paula wore.
Now if you don’t have a tattoo you are different and you can buy whatever clothes you want from th’internet .
The children’s names were all very different to the Lauren’s and Rebecca’s that were in where I live.
She liked attention and pushing boundaries but I did find her interesting when I was a teen.
Now I’m a mum and granny I just think that she was either just very selfish or had trauma that she couldn’t cope with and using hard drugs is never ever going to end well x
Gosh you could be me with your comment. Exactly my thoughts and experience.

Speaking of women with tattoos, the first time I had ever heard of it was reading an article about Cher having a butterfly tattoo on her bum years ago. The idea seemed completely bizarre 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Gosh you could be me with your comment. Exactly my thoughts and experience.

Speaking of women with tattoos, the first time I had ever heard of it was reading an article about Cher having a butterfly tattoo on her bum years ago. The idea seemed completely bizarre 😂
And this is why I love Tattle - so many shared views and so many different views xx

Reactions: 17
I remember in the pre-Michael days she kept getting fined for not paying her tv license, and it just seemed really strange, what with her being on the telly and Bob making a lot of tv programmes.
Although, don’t see why Bob couldn’t have sorted it out either.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
The perfect mother image was also emulated by Peaches, another tit mum who was trying to make other mums feel like crap.
Which was kind of quite sweet until it became apparent the earth mother who attachment parented was off her face on methadone or heroin.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
In my view Paula was a groupie in a similar vein to Patsy Kensit and Sadie Frost - the MO is to get with a famous and wealthy man and make sure you have a baby, then they are connected to you for life. To be fair she was with Bob for a long time and he probably wasn’t the easiest person to live with, they built a family together. But I think when she tried the same with Michael it was too much for him, being a father was perhaps too emotionally destabilising and he couldn’t move on when he wanted to as easily as he’d been able to before. He didn’t seem to fall out with any exes but leaving the mother of your child would be a different thing all together. Pure speculation on my part.

I am in my 50s and Paula was before my time, or perhaps I was a bit unsophisticated and didn’t see her in her early days. I remember her flat voice, people always said how intelligent she was but it didn’t come across on The Tube. I wonder why they are bringing her up again now….She may have been very manipulative and sexualised but also perhaps as a product of her times, to get ahead in that world it was all she had that she could use. Perhaps she was strongly drawn to motherhood even though she wasn’t mature or unselfish enough, because her own childhood was so awful.

I think Sir Bob has some strong connection with Channel 4, his production company made The Big Breakfast or something, Paula certainly didn’t go for an open audition to get her interviewer role. Although what a previous poster said is also true, C4 have a track record in profiling women that we see differently out of their time.

Reactions: 20
Lads, a reminder -set your dvrs for Monday at 21.00 on Channel 4 for the first episode of Paula's documentary

Reactions: 14
In my view Paula was a groupie in a similar vein to Patsy Kensit and Sadie Frost - the MO is to get with a famous and wealthy man and make sure you have a baby, then they are connected to you for life. To be fair she was with Bob for a long time and he probably wasn’t the easiest person to live with, they built a family together. But I think when she tried the same with Michael it was too much for him, being a father was perhaps too emotionally destabilising and he couldn’t move on when he wanted to as easily as he’d been able to before. He didn’t seem to fall out with any exes but leaving the mother of your child would be a different thing all together. Pure speculation on my part.

I am in my 50s and Paula was before my time, or perhaps I was a bit unsophisticated and didn’t see her in her early days. I remember her flat voice, people always said how intelligent she was but it didn’t come across on The Tube. I wonder why they are bringing her up again now….She may have been very manipulative and sexualised but also perhaps as a product of her times, to get ahead in that world it was all she had that she could use. Perhaps she was strongly drawn to motherhood even though she wasn’t mature or unselfish enough, because her own childhood was so awful.

I think Sir Bob has some strong connection with Channel 4, his production company made The Big Breakfast or something, Paula certainly didn’t go for an open audition to get her interviewer role. Although what a previous poster said is also true, C4 have a track record in profiling women that we see differently out of their time.
I think this is a bit harsh on Patsy, if you read her book she genuinely fell in love with her husbands, she doesn’t come across as manipulative or scheming, rather the reverse, a bit naive. I don’t think she could be called a groupie, she was rather strait laced at least until she met Liam 😂 - she’s been a good mum to James and Lennon and clearly loves them to bits and has always earned her own money.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I think this is a bit harsh on Patsy, if you read her book she genuinely fell in love with her husbands, she doesn’t come across as manipulative or scheming, rather the reverse, a bit naive. I don’t think she could be called a groupie, she was rather strait laced at least until she met Liam 😂 - she’s been a good mum to James and Lennon and clearly loves them to bits and has always earned her own money.
I will take your word for it! Didn’t mean to be harsh on Patsy, I like what I’ve seen of her.

The other thing I should have said is: it was truly awful when Michael Hutchence died, he and Paula had been very high profile, a bit chaotic but super glamorous and seemed madly in love. It was such a sordid shock and I remember all his gorgeous exes at his funeral, the weather looked really hot in Sydney and they were all in black summer dresses. Then when Paula went too it was really, really sad.

Reactions: 10
Oh I do like Patsy. I'm sure she once said that she ended up marrying everyone she went out with. And I notice she's just got engaged again 😄 And Sadie Frost had a proper acting career for a while, and was more famous than Jude Law when they first got together.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.