Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That documentary on Islam was terrible - quite offensively so, as I recall. Just really shallow, as you’d expect.
Peaches was terribly indulged when young - that Ellegirl column, a few documentaries like the Islam one, then there was even some project to set up her own magazine, though I don’t think that went far. She did modelling for a high-street lingerie brand (I think she was dropped when the drug stuff came out). She even had a terrible chat show for a while - it was panned and disappeared. I doubt anyone was given so many chances for so little talent and yet she didn’t seem to appreciate any of it.
She set up topless photos to be taken on the beach by paparazzi. This apparently then resulted in her getting the lingerie deal (I think it was Ultimo).

• Wow
Reactions: 2
You’re right! I got confused with Jane (Jonathon Ross’s wife) as I’ve been reading about both at the same time. A lot of parallels. I’ve edited. Still gross no matter when they got married though.
I remember Jane Goldman (Mrs JR) when she wrote for Just Seventeen which I bought as a teenager. Did find it a bit odd that she was 16 and dating JR, who seemed "old" to me at the time.

Reactions: 8
I met my children’s father when I was 19 and he was 26 and I didn’t feel like he was a grooming predator!

Reactions: 22
I’ve looked around and most things say Paula was 18 when she met Bob. Paula herself says she was obsessed with him and followed him around until he finally gave in and got with her. I have to say though, Paula did do well in her own career and probably better than Bob himself ever did. He made money from investments but not through talent or charisma like Paula did actually working. I wonder if he resented her, he seemed to want her to be more like a stay home mum which must have been very boring for an outgoing Paula. Paula chasing around a commitment phobic Bob who was reluctant to marry her is quite a sad concept. In the 80’s and 90’s she was so beautiful and had the world at her feet. I am not sure I buy into Bob taking advantage of Paula - she moved to London on her own when she was 16.

Is 18 and 26 really that gross, both are young adults?
Yes Paula started off as a music journalist and became obsessed with Bob as she was a boomtown rats fan. She followed him around and turned up to gigs until he relented and began a relationship with her, much like she did later with MH. She also passively aggressively pursued for marriage (with both, I think) . The age gap is definitely weird and Paula was most certainly looking for a male “father figure” to compensate for the lack in her own life and provide the stability she never had.

paula got a lot of her gigs through Bob. She’d done a bit of low level journalism and posed for penthouse, but after she started dating Bob in 1976, it was Bob who introduced her to that music scene and to a lot of celeb colleagues. He introduced her to the likes of Bono, Bowie, midge ure. These connections made her a good candidate for presenting The Tube In 1982. I don’t think Paula was a particularly good presenter. I found her very grating and the show was popular and worked because it had such a good concept.

it’s worth remembering that Bob himselfwas incredibly well connected and he’s pretty industrious in TV production. It’s a combination of both those things that enabled him to be able to launch live aid, influence a ton of huge stars to participate and then engineer the TV broadcast 1984.

Bob Geldof also produced the big breakfast, which is how she got her gig there.

paula made the most of a lot of opportunities that came her way, but it’s undoubtedly Bob who have her access to those opportunities and facilitated a lot of them. Cast and crew are hardly going to turn around and tell the producer they won’t cast his wife in a presenting slot.

I think Bob actually brought a lot to Paula’s life, a degree of stability plus he facilitated her career. Though I’ve no doubt their relationship had a lot of issues (including cheating on both sides) it does seem like things spiralled out of control for Paula after they broke up. Financially she was worse off, her career was drying up, she’d lost that stability and support that comes from a reliable long term partner and she descended into drug abuse.

I can sympathise because she got with Bob very young and although stable and safe relationships serve a purpose, there needs to be an element of romance and sexual chemistry there I think to make it fit the distance.

Through her family (and dad) Peaches was also thrown many opportunities her way in a similar vein as her mother, she just didn’t seem to appreciate or leverage them much, and absolutely squandered her life which is incredible sad.
---
I met my children’s father when I was 19 and he was 26 and I didn’t feel like he was a grooming predator!
that’s great for you, but the vast majority of 26 yr olds who date teens… do it for a reason and it’s never good.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She was really bloody annoying and also really rude and entitled. She only seemed to be more bearable when she had children. It’s sad she couldn’t fight her demons, I hope the boys are ok.
Also, I wonder how Bob, his wife, Fifi and Pixie feel about Tiger living in Australia. I remember reading that they weren’t close anymore which must be sad since she was raised with them. But the distance still must be difficult, it’s not like they can hop on a plane. Was Tiger at Pixie’s wedding?
The Late Late Show in Ireland had a special celebrating Bob's 70th Birthday and both Pixie and Tiger appeared with him. I didn't watch all of it, but they all seemed close. Tiger has been living in Australia for a number of years so she would have probably flown in especially for it.
Bob Geldof 003 2.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I don't think BG was a predator, even PY herself says she pursued him. Generally speaking, I do think grown men pursuing relationships with teenagers is a red flag but it doesn't seem that was the case here

Reactions: 13
Yes Paula started off as a music journalist and became obsessed with Bob as she was a boomtown rats fan. She followed him around and turned up to gigs until he relented and began a relationship with her, much like she did later with MH. She also passively aggressively pursued for marriage (with both, I think) . The age gap is definitely weird and Paula was most certainly looking for a male “father figure” to compensate for the lack in her own life and provide the stability she never had.

paula got a lot of her gigs through Bob. She’d done a bit of low level journalism and posed for penthouse, but after she started dating Bob in 1976, it was Bob who introduced her to that music scene and to a lot of celeb colleagues. He introduced her to the likes of Bono, Bowie, midge ure. These connections made her a good candidate for presenting The Tube In 1982. I don’t think Paula was a particularly good presenter. I found her very grating and the show was popular and worked because it had such a good concept.

it’s worth remembering that Bob himselfwas incredibly well connected and he’s pretty industrious in TV production. It’s a combination of both those things that enabled him to be able to launch live aid, influence a ton of huge stars to participate and then engineer the TV broadcast 1984.

Bob Geldof also produced the big breakfast, which is how she got her gig there.

paula made the most of a lot of opportunities that came her way, but it’s undoubtedly Bob who have her access to those opportunities and facilitated a lot of them. Cast and crew are hardly going to turn around and tell the producer they won’t cast his wife in a presenting slot.

I think Bob actually brought a lot to Paula’s life, a degree of stability plus he facilitated her career. Though I’ve no doubt their relationship had a lot of issues (including cheating on both sides) it does seem like things spiralled out of control for Paula after they broke up. Financially she was worse off, her career was drying up, she’d lost that stability and support that comes from a reliable long term partner and she descended into drug abuse.

I can sympathise because she got with Bob very young and although stable and safe relationships serve a purpose, there needs to be an element of romance and sexual chemistry there I think to make it fit the distance.

Through her family (and dad) Peaches was also thrown many opportunities her way in a similar vein as her mother, she just didn’t seem to appreciate or leverage them much, and absolutely squandered her life which is incredible sad.
---

that’s great for you, but the vast majority of 26 yr olds who date teens… do it for a reason and it’s never good.
Don't be ridiculous, there are multitude of reasons why a couple would make a connection despite age gaps. Back in the 80's the vast majority left school and were in full time work at 16. I always dated older men, I'm reasonably intelligent and younger men just didn't hold my attention or share my interests plus I like sex and the thought of fumbling around with spotty teenagers just made me gag. At no time was I ever groomed or taken advantage of nor was I ever induced to do anything in bed that I didn't want to unlike todays youngsters who seem to be easily coerced into degrading themselves no matter how young their partner is.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Don't be ridiculous, there are multitude of reasons why a couple would make a connection despite age gaps. Back in the 80's the vast majority left school and were in full time work at 16. I always dated older men, I'm reasonably intelligent and younger men just didn't hold my attention or share my interests plus I like sex and the thought of fumbling around with spotty teenagers just made me gag. At no time was I ever groomed or taken advantage of nor was I ever induced to do anything in bed that I didn't want to unlike todays youngsters who seem to be easily coerced into degrading themselves no matter how young their partner is.
Glad you made this point, as long as you are consenting that's all that matters. Maturity of some 16 year old girls is a lot higher than others their age. Of course there are older people out to take advantage. Like most things now, there is so much more to have to worry about, being drugged, filmed etc, it's made people alot more wary.

Reactions: 10
Glad you made this point, as long as you are consenting that's all that matters. Maturity of some 16 year old girls is a lot higher than others their age. Of course there are older people out to take advantage. Like most things now, there is so much more to have to worry about, being drugged, filmed etc, it's made people alot more wary.
yikes. We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

my view is it’s weird for grow men to date teens, especially nowadays. Culturally, there have been differences in the past. I don’t think it was Bob grooming Paula but there was a definite power imbalance there. I don’t think people’s personal experiences of shacking up with older men as a teen, has much to do with this thread tbh and just derails.

In reality, you aren’t going to convince most people who think it’s weird, that it’s fine just because it was fine in your case and according to you.

at worst it comes across as insecurity and defending life choices.

• Haha
Reactions: 18

my view is it’s weird for grow men to date teens, especially nowadays. Culturally, there have been differences in the past. I don’t think it was Bob grooming Paula but there was a definite power imbalance there. I don’t think people’s personal experiences of shacking up with older men as a teen, has much to do with this thread tbh and just derails.

In reality, you aren’t going to convince most people who think it’s weird, that it’s fine just because it was fine in your case and according to you.

I agree. And it never seemed to work the other way round, did it? From my own perspective, I can’t imagine what a 26 year old would have in common with an 18 year old, even if they were ‘mature for their age’. In fact, I doubt how well they could hold their own in conversations on issues of the day even came into it.

I’m not saying every young (ish) girl who dates/dated an older guy is being groomed, but it certainly doesn’t paint the guy in a good light.

Seriously, age-gap relationships were regarded very differently 35 or 40 years ago. Jane Goldman is a good example: when she met Jonathan Ross, she was 16, yes, but she was also working fulltime on the Daily Star's showbiz page. Ross was considered a massive catch in 1986; he seemed to come out of nowhere (I think he might have been a TV researcher beforehand), and suddenly there he was, hosting The Last Resort in his trendy suits and ties. I know younger people will find this hard to believe, but he couldn't have been cooler.

When Jane began dating him, I didn't think, "She's 16 and he's 26 - how revolting", I thought, "Damn, she's lucky." And now they're about to celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Same, that same age guys were boring and disgusting to me back when I was 18/19, they all used to do that footballer spitting thing, hang around parks drinking cider and talking about cars and pretending to bum each other whereas I got a good job and wanted to go travelling and do more grown up things. I can see the appeal of a slightly older more mature guy, women do literally mature faster than guys at this particular age, and to me I saw a guy in his early 20’s as not too dissimilar to very late teens in terms of both being young adults with things in common that’s how I felt.

I wouldn’t assume it was grooming any more than I would say it was not but I know that it can be a power imbalance and in some cases that is entirely true and I wouldn’t discount it or generalise it never happens and is never creepy - I’m just not sure in this case of PY and BG.

I will also preface this to say I have young adult daughters now who have same age boyfriends and the maturity gap is quite obvious, my daughters seem to be much more mature and independent than their boyfriends and same age male friends and I can see that they might outgrow each other at different speeds. Daughter 1’s boyfriend can’t go anywhere without asking his parents and daughter 2’s boyfriend is always play fighting like an over grown toddler. They are really nice lovely sweet lads but sometimes it’s like they are still 14. I’m older than my current partner now (5 years) and he was in his late 20’s before he even got his first girlfriend

Bob himself admitted he had no money early 80’s and PY paid all their bills for the first few years I do think she worked really hard at her own career and it wasn’t all down to BG.

Seriously, age-gap relationships were regarded very differently 35 or 40 years ago. Jane Goldman is a good example: when she met Jonathan Ross, she was 16, yes, but she was also working fulltime on the Daily Star's showbiz page. Ross was considered a massive catch in 1986; he seemed to come out of nowhere (I think he might have been a TV researcher beforehand), and suddenly there he was, hosting The Last Resort in his trendy suits and ties. I know younger people will find this hard to believe, but he couldn't have been cooler.

When Jane began dating him, I didn't think, "She's 16 and he's 26 - how revolting", I thought, "Damn, she's lucky." And now they're about to celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary.
Jonathan Ross being thought of as cool is truly hard to see :LOL:

tbf - being together 35 years is an achievement for sure, but I’m not sure it’s always a mark of success?

I know a lot of older women (mums friends) who married young to older men, to degrees of success and that was fine then. But groping girls butts and wolf whistling was fine then, and wouldn’t be tolerated now and is viewed in a very different lens.

among my mums friends I’ve noticed a few do get very prickly about the age gap and my view is there are underlying insecurities there that they don’t want to think about considering they’ve been married to their husbands for decades.

in a similar vein, my first relationship and first sexual partner was the same age as me and veeerry manipulative and controlling. It took my years to come to terms with that and admit that to myself because I didn’t want to believe it was true. So I get it.

I was a pretty worldly, independent teen at 17/18 and had moved out, eventually going to Uni. I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid at dating someone in their 20s. But looking back, I was a LOT a more immature than I seemed surface level. I was a lot less mature than I thought I was.

im in my 30s now and if I had a teenage daughter dating someone in their 20s, I’d find it pretty gross. Of all my friends, many, many dates men much older than them when they were all in their late teens - none - not a single one - turned out to be a decent person. They all turned out to be deeply insecure men, with tendencies to be manipulative/controlling as a result. And my friends weren’t stupid or naive. They are uni educated, independent women with pretty amazing careers.

I don’t think Paula getting into a relationship with Bob is indicative of him being creepy per se, but I definitely think it’s reflective of the wider misogyny in society at the time. I’m very glad it’s not really seen as acceptable now. Im very glad that gen z are a lot more vocal and empowered even compared to my generation of millennials.
---
In fact, I doubt how well they could hold their own in conversations on issues of the day even came into it.
I think that roughly summarises the appeal of those type of relationships..

Reactions: 6
as you are consenting that's all that matters. Maturity of some 16 year old girls is a lot higher than others their age.
Hard disagree. If you’re in your 20’s why would you be interested in a 16 year old who is still legally a child. It’s really gross.

• Heart
The Late Late Show in Ireland had a special celebrating Bob's 70th Birthday and both Pixie and Tiger appeared with him. I didn't watch all of it, but they all seemed close. Tiger has been living in Australia for a number of years so she would have probably flown in especially for it. View attachment 2051878
Gosh, Tiger is tiny isn’t she?

Reactions: 4
“As long as you are consenting is all that matters”, really?! Being 16 just makes it lawful to consent but it doesn’t have any impact on how predatory it can be. It’s a fairly arbitrary legal threshold and doesn’t take into considerate any other factors which are personal to an individual, obviously.

16 year old girls are good at coming across as more mature because more is demanded of them in a pretty misogynistic society. Neurologically, this maturity is fairly minimal at about 2 years difference. The rest is sociologically driven;

I don’t think young women and girls are more
“Wary” nowadays because of tech. I just think there’s a lower threshold for that type of bull, especially post MeToo.

• Heart
Aren’t the other ones just quite tall?
Paula was tiny so Tiger obviously takes after her mum. I also see Paula's features in Tiger, despite everyone saying she is her dads double. In fact I have never been able to see any resemblance with her other girls.

Bob G is very tall so his girls have his height.

Reactions: 5
I was always mature for my age because my chaotic childhood meant I had to take a lot of responsibility at a very young age. This meant that when I hit my teens and started dating all my partners were older. Some just a few years but the gap was noticeable as we were often at different stages in our lives irregardless of how mature I was. When I was 17 my boyfriend was 21 and about to graduate university. He was talking about working for a few years to get a house deposit and then getting married and I was wanting to have fun. The ones I do judge are the guys in their mid 30’s who were with me when I was 19. When I got to their age I felt sick looking at guys my age and 19 year old girls.

I do think things were viewed differently before, that doesn’t mean it’s right though. I don’t think that BG and JR were necessarily predatory but I do wonder when they had teenage daughters how they would have felt about them getting involved with men in their 20s.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.