Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Seriously, age-gap relationships were regarded very differently 35 or 40 years ago. Jane Goldman is a good example: when she met Jonathan Ross, she was 16, yes, but she was also working fulltime on the Daily Star's showbiz page. Ross was considered a massive catch in 1986; he seemed to come out of nowhere (I think he might have been a TV researcher beforehand), and suddenly there he was, hosting The Last Resort in his trendy suits and ties. I know younger people will find this hard to believe, but he couldn't have been cooler.

When Jane began dating him, I didn't think, "She's 16 and he's 26 - how revolting", I thought, "Damn, she's lucky." And now they're about to celebrate their 35th wedding anniversary.
It's easy to missapply today's standards/norms to how things were. Things have changed drastically in a relatively short time and I do believe a lot of things that were okay even 10 years ago are shuddered at now!!
I wouldn't be a fan of a 16 year old dating a 25 year old now but that's knowing what we know now!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
They were dating when she was 16/17. Not sure why so many commenters in here refuse to acknowledge that and keep rounding it up to 18.
I wasn’t able to find that it was 16. I found info that mostly said she was 18, but was following his band when she was 19. It’s 2-3 years but it’s not that people are rounding up on purpose. Where is this info she was 16? If she was born in April 1959 and met him at a Xmas party in 1977 (as I have found reported) she was 18 and in fact nearly 19 years old. The boomtown rats do not seem to have been to Paris in 1976 - they only started gigging in Ireland in 1975 and I looked on a fan wiki page there is no gig in Paris in 1976 they played at - so whoever wrote that on Wikipedia it can’t be backed up. It’s just one entry on wiki that it was 1976 when she actually met him the end of 1977

Reactions: 7
I’m It wasn’t considered ‘ok’ by anyone other than those involved. I was also coming of age during that era and my parents wouldn’t have allowed me to date anyone in their 20s.
I wasn’t able to find that it was 16. I found info that mostly said she was 18, but was following his band when she was 19. It’s 2-3 years but it’s not that people are rounding up on purpose. Where is this info she was 16? If she was born in April 1959 and met him at a Xmas party in 1977 (as I have found reported) she was 18 and in fact nearly 19 years old. The boomtown rats do not seem to have been to Paris in 1976 - they only started gigging in Ireland in 1975 and I looked on a fan wiki page there is no gig in Paris in 1976 they played at - so whoever wrote that on Wikipedia it can’t be backed up. It’s just one entry on wiki that it was 1976 when she actually met him the end of 1977
I think you are reading more contemporary articles. If you read anything pre-dating 2000, (free-library is a good source) you’ll see that it’s mentioned fairly often. I think that due to high profile cases including famous people and children, more modern articles avoid mentioning it.

Reactions: 4
They met at a Christmas party in 1977 when she was 18.

The Paris stuff is largely irrelevant other than it shows Paul was pretty forthcoming in pursuing Bob and has been mentioned by them both in interviews as well as Bob’s band mates.

Reactions: 3
I don’t understand why it would be irrelevant though? It’s widely reported to be at the start of their relationship. So how does a 17 year old without a job, living in a squat in London with no family support, pay to travel to Paris in 1976? I wonder if it was paid for by Geldof or his management. These bands flew their preferred groupies/girlfriends around the world to be with them. Yates didn’t get her first journalism job until 1979 so probably had very limited funds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Paula may have been living in a squat etc,but I think it was very much “living like common people”. She was very much bankrolled by Jess Yates, even when estranged,and he got her her first job at Yorkshire TV on,would you believe, The Sooty Show…..

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don’t understand why it would be irrelevant though? It’s widely reported to be at the start of their relationship. So how does a 17 year old without a job, living in a squat in London with no family support, pay to travel to Paris in 1976? I wonder if it was paid for by Geldof or his management. Yates didn’t get her first journalism job until 1979 so probably had very limited funds.
Where have you gotten her being living in a squat without family support from?

IIRC her mum moved to London after the divorce from Jess Yates and I’d assumed Paula joined her there and was supported by family money.

The point of the Paris trip was that Paula surprised BG so doesn’t really sound like he hand funded it, plus she supposedly followed his band around on yours.

The most obvious answer, as a teen without a career underway at that time, is that she was supported by her family until she started her journalism.

Reactions: 5
Jane Goldman also followed Boy George on tour in America when she was a teen…they were cut from a very similar cloth I feel…..

• Wow
I find the Paula and peaches story so tragic. I hope peaches sons are ok, it's so sad. I'm happy the other daughters seem to be doing well and seem to have broke the Yates curse.

Didn’t Paula and Bob get married when they had been together for 10 years? Which would have meant they started dating in 1976 when she was 16/17.

• Wow
Where have you gotten her being living in a squat without family support from?

IIRC her mum moved to London after the divorce from Jess Yates and I’d assumed Paula joined her there and was supported by family money.

The point of the Paris trip was that Paula surprised BG so doesn’t really sound like he hand funded it, plus she supposedly followed his band around on yours.

The most obvious answer, as a teen without a career underway at that time, is that she was supported by her family until she started her journalism.
It’s apparently in her autobiography. I’ve not read it, but I’ve seen it attributed to coming from there. Anyone got a copy to check?
---
Didn’t Paula and Bob get married when they had been together for 10 years? Which would have meant they started dating in 1976 when she was 16/17.
Yes. It’s interesting that there is a significant age gap between Paula’s parents too who got married when her mum was very young. History repeating itself.
---
I wonder what her kids, who are incredibly woke, think of how their parents got together?

I’ve seen comments saying that it’s ok because theyve been together for 35 years. That doesn’t make it ok. It just means that Jane probably didn’t know anything else and what probably led her to having affairs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Is Paula Yates mum still alive? I've looked on Google and can't find anything about her nowadays.

Reactions: 1
Is Paula Yates mum still alive? I've looked on Google and can't find anything about her nowadays.
I never heard that she'd died, but I googled her a months ago and didn't see anything recent about her. So not sure.
I'm guessing Pixie, Fifi and Tiger have no relationship with her.

Reactions: 2
I did see this but also that they met Xmas 1977 🤷🏻‍♀️
I’m not actually sure and it’s confusing

Reactions: 2
What was deemed an acceptable age gap 45 years ago would completely cancel somebody now.

My own grandparents had an age gap of 10 years and married at 18 and 28, not sure how long they were courting!
My husbands parents confessed they met when his mum was only 12 and her future husband was 17. Allegedly nothing happened until she left school at 16 and they started going out then and married at 18 and 23. That just couldn't happen these days.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
My benchmark for “it used to be acceptable“ is Sam Fox topless on the front page of the S*n in the early 80s, aged 16.
There wasn’t widespread safeguarding concerns.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Amazing skin
FifI is very pretty. She does have Paula’s shaped face, you can see it now she has got thinner. She’s the one I always feel for most, she must have been of an age to understand the mess her family were in. I always remember it was reported that she insisted on going into Paula’s house after she died to feed the cat. Such responsiblity on her shoulders. But, poor girls, what an awful time for them all.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
My benchmark for “it used to be acceptable“ is Sam Fox topless on the front page of the S*n in the early 80s, aged 16.
There wasn’t widespread safeguarding concerns.
The whole concept of p.3 (and reducing female bodies as something to ogle at during breakfast with the morning paper) feels SO bizarre to me..!
---
FifI is very pretty. She does have Paula’s shaped face, you can see it now she has got thinner. She’s the one I always feel for most, she must have been of an age to understand the mess her family were in. I always remember it was reported that she insisted on going into Paula’s house after she died to feed the cat. Such responsiblity on her shoulders. But, poor girls, what an awful time for them all.
Yes I hope she’s processing it all and living a good life.

Last edited:
Don't be ridiculous, there are multitude of reasons why a couple would make a connection despite age gaps. Back in the 80's the vast majority left school and were in full time work at 16. I always dated older men, I'm reasonably intelligent and younger men just didn't hold my attention or share my interests plus I like sex and the thought of fumbling around with spotty teenagers just made me gag. At no time was I ever groomed or taken advantage of nor was I ever induced to do anything in bed that I didn't want to unlike todays youngsters who seem to be easily coerced into degrading themselves no matter how young their partner is.
So glad you said this because it was a different time and things which are baulked at now wouldnt be then

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.