Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
BG made the bulk of his money after the Boomtown Rats by investing in TV shows. I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember that he was involved in the Big Breakfast and he made a mint from the Survivor series. From the Belfast Telegraph:

«
Bob Geldof last year shared in a fresh £2.25m windfall in dividends from the company behind the successful reality TV show Survivor.
The Dubliner may not generate significant income from his singing career any more, but his shareholding in Castaway Television Productions Ltd has proved a very shrewd investment and is an impressive cash cow for the 64-year-old, producing dividends on an annual basis.
The UK company is the firm behind the Survivor reality TV series that has been sold across the world and viewed by tens of millions of people. »

ETA - soz, didnt see that this had already been posted, lol.

Reactions: 12
Just reading about The Ross’s marriage and they met and started dating when Jane was 16 and Jonathan was 26, and got married 2 years later. Gross.
Agree. I wonder if he’s got away with this (so to speak) because at the time they got together, it was more ‘acceptable’ (only just, though) and they’re still together now.

I quite like Jane. Year ago, she presented a show about the paranormal and she’s a brilliant screenwriter. His kids seem utterly talentless and over indulged though.

Reactions: 15
When Paula left Bob for Michael it was all over the press and back in the mid 90s before a million channels and streaming services you couldn’t really avoid it. It was fascinating in a car crash kind of way. I remember how shocked I was when Michael died. It’s weird I wasn’t a fan of his but I can remember exactly where I was when I heard. I guess it’s because it was so unexpected. When Paula died I wasn’t surprised and in all honesty didn’t feel much sympathy for her at the time as I just saw her as someone who was shockingly selfish who had prioritised a man and drugs in front of caring for her kids. I thought Peaches was a precocious brat but I was really sad when she died in such a similar way to her Mum as I thought of how young she was when her Mum died and how damaging it must have been.

I think exploring toxic relationship dynamics fascinates a lot of people, often because they are trying to make sense of their own experiences.

I am not sure that I agree that Michael was a dark character. It seems that people always spoke very highly of him and that his brain damage really changed who he was. The talk of the dark sex stuff came from Paula and I think she was constantly trying to prove to everyone how amazing and unique their love and sex life was. I take all that stuff with a bucket full of salt.
I had fallen asleep on the couch with BBC news on woke up and thought “wow I dreamt Michael Hutchence died” then saw it on telly. Found it odd that Paula was so insistent it was auto erotic asphyxiation.
---
I remember both Hughie Green, 'and I mean that most sincerely ' and Jess Yates presenting Stars on Sunday. I think the first time I heard of Paul's was when I read an article on her in the News of the World's Sunday supplement, and saying she was Bob's girlfriend.

I remember when the Tube started, and seeing her on that, reading articles in the Press that she'd written, and just generally following what she'd been up to, as in marriage and her kids, etc. I never really liked her, but in those days her and Bob were everywhere, so it was difficult to avoid knowing about them.

The drugs in the Smarties tube shocked me at the time, as did Michael and her dying.
I felt sorry for Bob, and admired him for taking on TL.

I find the family both tragic and fascinating
My mum has a picture of me when I’m about 2 and Stars on Sunday is on the telly in the background 🤣 Berni Flint from Opportunity Knocks was my first crush.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Is! She’s still alive age 91!
I always thought she was fab, a true English eccentric. Not many left now! She was on a TV show a few years ago about unique council flats...she went bankrupt in the 90s, lost her home and ended being housed by the council in a flat which she had then decorated in the sort of unique way you'd expect :)

Article talking about the show with a photo of Molly and her flat - she looks pretty amazing considering she'd have been well into her 80s then (I'd forgotten the baked bean bloke, or at least tried to forget!)

Sorry for the derail...
Back to Paula and Michael, a post above referenced limerence, and I think that's exactly what it was. They were both very much caught up in obsession with each other, in a fantasy of the perfect family/ relationship which reality could never live up to.

Reactions: 8
I always thought she was fab, a true English eccentric. Not many left now! She was on a TV show a few years ago about unique council flats...she went bankrupt in the 90s, lost her home and ended being housed by the council in a flat which she had then decorated in the sort of unique way you'd expect :)

Article talking about the show with a photo of Molly and her flat - she looks pretty amazing considering she'd have been well into her 80s then (I'd forgotten the baked bean bloke, or at least tried to forget!)

Sorry for the derail...
Back to Paula and Michael, a post above referenced limerence, and I think that's exactly what it was. They were both very much caught up in obsession with each other, in a fantasy of the perfect family/ relationship which reality could never live up to.
A Welsh eccentric and she defined herself as Welsh.

Reactions: 9
A Welsh eccentric and she defined herself as Welsh.
Apologies you're absolutely right, I'd meant to write British (or better should have said Welsh) 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I would edit my post if I could!

Reactions: 5
Agree. I wonder if he’s got away with this (so to speak) because at the time they got together, it was more ‘acceptable’ (only just, though) and they’re still together now.

I quite like Jane. Year ago, she presented a show about the paranormal and she’s a brilliant screenwriter. His kids seem utterly talentless and over indulged though.
It was horribly acceptable.
I remember watching a dramatization about one of the magdalene laundries and it portrayed a young girl having to marry a farmer 50 years older than her because that was all that would have her after her going through the mother and baby home system. Apparently that was so common back then, if a girl "disappeared" for a year or so it was assumed you had been in a home and you would be only available to the old batchelors who wanted a wife tied to the kitchen sink that they could abuse.

I never saw BG in a bad light, he was always a bit crusty, and seemed like he was in a perpetually bad humour but he always came across as a good father. PY was his flighty peroxide wife but I didn't know a whole lot about her. I never got to watch the Tube growing up, (I was never even allowed watch TOTP until I was in my mid teens) and never watched the Big Breakfast either. It was only when she started hitting the headlines with MH that I really took notice. I used to love INXS and couldn't believe that MH had run off with her! Watching old interviews with her now I can see her persuing him relentlessly until he gave in and shagged her, but then he couldn't get away. Everything from then on was tragic.

Reactions: 9
I remember watching a dramatization about one of the magdalene laundries and it portrayed a young girl having to marry a farmer 50 years older than her because that was all that would have her after her going through the mother and baby home system. Apparently that was so common back then, if a girl "disappeared" for a year or so it was assumed you had been in a home and you would be only available to the old batchelors who wanted a wife tied to the kitchen sink that they could abuse.

I never saw BG in a bad light, he was always a bit crusty, and seemed like he was in a perpetually bad humour but he always came across as a good father. PY was his flighty peroxide wife but I didn't know a whole lot about her. I never got to watch the Tube growing up, (I was never even allowed watch TOTP until I was in my mid teens) and never watched the Big Breakfast either. It was only when she started hitting the headlines with MH that I really took notice. I used to love INXS and couldn't believe that MH had run off with her! Watching old interviews with her now I can see her persuing him relentlessly until he gave in and shagged her, but then he couldn't get away. Everything from then on was tragic.
I was 9 when the Tube started and my dad wouldn't let me watch it. I used to buy Jackie Magazine and there was an article on PY where she was described as "as sexy as a used tea bag"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

Those poor, poor men eh? I mean she was half their age but of course she was a ‘flighty peroxide’ shrew who Bob and Michael just couldn’t get away from.
Spare me.

Reactions: 25
I didn't mind Paula, I didn't really watch much of the Tube but remember her on it and I watched Big Breakfast and her 'bed interviews'. I liked the one song from Boomtown Rats 'I don't like Mondays' but then of course everyone of my generation knew Bob when he put on Live Aid and said 'give us ya feckin' money'!

I remember when Michael died and hearing it on the radio and shouting downstairs to tell my boyfriend but I wasn't really a fan, so I don't know why I can still remember it? Probably because by then him and Paula were in the press so much. I was shocked when she died.

I remember Peaches becoming famous quite young and found her a bit irritating. I then remember when she had her kids and how popular she became with everyone thinking she was wonderful, so when she died I was surprised that nobody thought it might be to do with drugs as it was actually the first thought that came to my mind and I was proved correct.

I don't remember seeing this thread before, I only noticed it when it was in the papers about Paula again because of the new documentary so I've rewatched a few interviews on Youtube with Bob and Paula that I remember watching first time around. I did think Bob was upset by the breakdown of their marriage and the thought of losing his kids and I expect he tried to help Paula when she turned to drugs. He had said that Tiger Lily often stayed at his house before Paula died so they must have been on good terms for Paula to allow that and I'm sure it was probably when she was struggling with her addiction? I thought it was a good thing when he said he would look after Tiger Lily and he has publicly said he couldn't have done it without the support of his now wife.

I remember watching the interview Paula gave talking about how she was sure it was a sex act that killed him as he would never leave their baby and I remember thinking that she was a shadow of her former self but by then she had been through the stuff about Hughie Green being her Dad as well. I think too many things overwhelmed her at once and it was sad that her children lost their mother.

Regarding Peaches, I remember thinking it was a shame she went down the same path and couldn't turn her life around but I think she got fame too quickly. I did worry Pixie might go the same way, but looks like she's doing OK and Fifi has always stayed out of the limelight. From what I've seen of Tiger Lily she seems to have come out of it unscathed so far and hopefully remains 'normal'.

My cousin used to work at The Tube with PY and said she was horrible and nobody else who worked there liked her either! Re Peaches, I don’t think she had any of her Mother’s charisma. She also talked in quite a monotone voice and would no way be famous, if she didn’t have a famous Mother!

• Heart
I remember Peaches becoming famous quite young and found her a bit irritating. I then remember when she had her kids and how popular she became with everyone thinking she was wonderful, so when she died I was surprised that nobody thought it might be to do with drugs as it was actually the first thought that came to my mind and I was proved correct
I could understand why people didn’t like Paula. She was like Marmite, but I do think she was good at what she did whether you liked her style of interviewing or not. Peaches, on the other hand, always came across like an entitled brat and I really didn’t get the love for her but maybe I was too old by then. All the stuff she did like the interview with Fearne Cotton just reinforced my view of her. Didn’t she also have her own show at one point? Again, she didn’t come across well to me. I never bought the earth mother stuff either.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I could understand why people didn’t like Paula. She was like Marmite, but I do think she was good at what she did whether you liked her style of interviewing or not. Peaches, on the other hand, always came across like an entitled brat and I really didn’t get the love for her but maybe I was too old by then. All the stuff she did like the interview with Fearne Cotton just reinforced my view of her. Didn’t she also have her own show at one point? Again, she didn’t come across well to me. I never bought the earth mother stuff either.
She defo came across as a spoiled little brat! Think she just latched on the attachment parenting crap to be a bit like her Mum and to try and stay relevant. If she was shooting up heroin, the last thing she should have ever been doing was sharing a bed with a kid!

Reactions: 13
I agree. I found it hard to like her and felt she only got the jobs she did because of who her parents were. Another nepo kid!

I knew someone who worked in the hospital Peaches had one of her babies and it was well known she was an addict whilst having him and kept asking for morphine.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
I agree. I found it hard to like her and felt she only got the jobs she did because of who her parents were. Another nepo kid!
Absolutely. And she didn’t even have the talent or ambition to back it up. She squandered so many opportunities that a lot of people would have given their right arm for. I think that’s what’s pissed me off most about her. She had her own show and I think edited a magazine or was a reporter at one point, and her whole attitude was totally half arsed. She didn’t have to give anything a proper go because the next one would come along at some point and she wasn’t relying on it to pay the bills. I found her quite infuriating tbh.

Those poor, poor men eh? I mean she was half their age but of course she was a ‘flighty peroxide’ shrew who Bob and Michael just couldn’t get away from.
Spare me.
Bob was about 7 or 8 years older than Paula, and Michael was a year or so younger - she really wasn't half their age

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.