Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t for the life of me work out just why Robbie Williams featured on this programme? From memory, it was rumoured that PY had a fling with Jason not Robbie and there must be so many people who actually knew her that could’ve been interviewed - perhaps they’re all on Saint Bob’s side? RW seemed to have nothing, no anecdotes or anything to contribute
I heard she tried it on with him and Liam Gallagher but was rebuffed. Robbie talked about her last night like she was a saint.

Reactions: 7
I think Robbie was there as a known recovering addict to emphasize that Paula took recreational drugs.despite being so anti drink & drugs previously. Basically once she got with Michael all her sobriety flew out the window.

Reactions: 10
Although they didn’t seem to be close friends, Robbie had at least met Paula and knew her socially, he was able to cite things she has said and as was mentioned above, observe the change from someone who didn’t drink much and thought people on cocaine were idiots, to someone who seemingly developed a significant drinking problem and ultimately overdosed on heroin.

RW actually said he thought it was “just” recreational drugs, the distinction being heroin is not viewed by some that way (IMO this distinction doesn’t always work because many cannabis and cocaine users for example develop serious issues, not surprising when you consider what alcohol can do, but it’s a nuance that’s important to some people to try to identify).

Grace Dent seemed to have appeared for just having been a journalist around that sort of time that Paula was at her most famous and hounded by the press and I didn’t get the impression had actually met PY.

Reactions: 8
No new information in the documentary, and as usual in these shows, at least one talking head who didn’t actually know her, but very watchable programme to see it all put together.

Not to sound weird but I hadn’t realised just how attractive Paula was in her day. I seem to remember the press being rude that Hutchence had gone from supermodels to PY. But I can see the appeal now, she was good-looking and what a personality. I mean yes I can see the downside of it too!! — but you wouldn’t be bored. Probably more interesting than most supermodels (sorry to anyone out there if I’m underestimating what great conversation they are).
Totally agree,I’m 53 but during The Tube era Paula was seen as cool. I mean I thought she was witty and had a brilliant personality and dressed so cool & quirky. I can remember at the time when she got with Hutchence that you could see why, the chemistry was on fire!
Looking back she was obviously a raging narcissist with probably a personality disorder thrown in. She was definitely a product of her upbringing.
I haven’t seen the programme yet but I have recorded it.

Reactions: 9
Although they didn’t seem to be close friends, Robbie had at least met Paula and knew her socially, he was able to cite things she has said and as was mentioned above, observe the change from someone who didn’t drink much and thought people on cocaine were idiots, to someone who seemingly developed a significant drinking problem and ultimately overdosed on heroin.

RW actually said he thought it was “just” recreational drugs, the distinction being heroin is not viewed by some that way (IMO this distinction doesn’t always work because many cannabis and cocaine users for example develop serious issues, not surprising when you consider what alcohol can do, but it’s a nuance that’s important to some people to try to identify).

Grace Dent seemed to have appeared for just having been a journalist around that sort of time that Paula was at her most famous and hounded by the press and I didn’t get the impression had actually met PY.
Dent seemed totally in awe of Paula

I may be way off the mark here as I am too young to remember but would Bob Geldolf have had enough sway to influence the tabloid narrative on Paula?
Absolutely - and he did
---
I can’t for the life of me work out just why Robbie Williams featured on this programme? From memory, it was rumoured that PY had a fling with Jason not Robbie and there must be so many people who actually knew her that could’ve been interviewed - perhaps they’re all on Saint Bob’s side? RW seemed to have nothing, no anecdotes or anything to contribute
She went on tour with Take That afaik

Reactions: 6
Courtney Love posted about this documentary- she said many were reluctant to get on board, which might explain why the talking heads were quite random.
It’s really brightened up this grey Tuesday afternoon to see that Courtney Love knows about the Big Breakfast.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Would it be more rounded if there had been friends of hers appearing in the documentary or people who knew her growing up. We only saw celebrities it would have been good to get somekind of feel of what she was like growing up and was she always so confident. Then again maybe no one was interested.

I'm obviously reading it incorrectly, I thought @gemini Moons post Courtney Love was saying Paula was murdered by tabloid....unless this is an album name which it could be as I'm not a fan of CL so wouldn't know.
That’s what it sounded like to me as well, and kind of what the documentary was suggesting. I’ve said already that I didn’t like Paula Yates growing up but after watching some of her stuff on YouTube and reading her biography, I have a different opinion of her. She was quirky, fiercely intelligent and had bags of charisma.

HOWEVER. I also think she manipulated the press as seen from the documentary when Michael’s sister had an inkling that it was Paula who was tipping them off as to their location all the time. And it was Paula who alerted the press to where Michael and Paula were staying in a hotel when their affair came to light because Paula wanted to force Michael’s hand (I think he would have kept it under the radar, as she was married to his friend and he was maybe not as serious about her as she was about him). She was the one who courted publicity a lot of the time. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. You can’t keep feeding the dragon then expect it not to turn round and bite your hand off.

Reactions: 24
That’s what it sounded like to me as well, and kind of what the documentary was suggesting. I’ve said already that I didn’t like Paula Yates growing up but after watching some of her stuff on YouTube and reading her biography, I have a different opinion of her. She was quirky, fiercely intelligent and had bags of charisma.

HOWEVER. I also think she manipulated the press as seen from the documentary when Michael’s sister had an inkling that it was Paula who was tipping them off as to their location all the time. And it was Paula who alerted the press to where Michael and Paula were staying in a hotel when their affair came to light because Paula wanted to force Michael’s hand (I think he would have kept it under the radar, as she was married to his friend and he was maybe not as serious about her as she was about him). She was the one who courted publicity a lot of the time. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. You can’t keep feeding the dragon then expect it not to turn round and bite your hand off.
Yes she brought a lot of it on herself as Diana did at times as well and now Harry with his book. Publicity was Paula's oxygen but I think it irked Michael H, and probably made him feel too pressurised. I still can't like her though its awful that she died young but she was all about herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Watching the second part of the docu now, regardless on how u feel about her someone does not deserve to be followed and harrassed by the paps like that, especially not when they've just gone through death of a partner and the paternity issues. It's a shame we never learn - just because people are in the public eye they don't deserve to have their dignity and agency stripped from them. Things with the press aren't as bad as they used to be but seeing the clips of her and the kids being hounded by the press after Michael's death was so aggravating to witness. The whole story is so tragic from start to finish and all i can say is I hope the three girls have been able to heal and live their life after this

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Someone on the doc mentioned Paula's phone was tapped so it might not have been her tipping off the press as to their whereabouts.
It wasn't very indepth for a programme if 2 hours. We heard little from the prerecorded tapes.
So much left out.

Reactions: 15
There's no way her phone was tapped. It was Nicky Clarke who mentioned it, she might have had voicemail messages hacked but the idea that the media were intercepting live phone calls is crazy

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.