Painful Period after Covid Vaccine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I normally have very regular, very light flow periods that last 2 days max. Before my first AZ vaccine in june I hadn't a period in 5 months. At 48 at time I assumed it was menopause. A few days after the vaccine I got the most excruciatingly painful insane level of heavy period that lasted almost 2 weeks. Since my periods are not regular and heavier than normal and last 3 days not 2. Which doesn't sound much but it is 50% longer!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Have any of you suffered hair loss as well? My friend says her hair is falling out and someone else has said their younger family members have said they are experiencing hair loss.

Anything else going on, or is it only your cycle that is affected?

Have any of you suffered hair loss as well? My friend says her hair is falling out and someone else has said their younger family members have said they are experiencing hair loss.

I had a bit of extra hair loss after actually having COVID, not quite the same but thought it was worth mentioning!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4

For me no hair issues, although I've become severely intolerant to several food groups (dairy, pulses, grains) to the extent of projectile vomiting. I am slowly and painfully figuring out what I can eat. Wine seems fine thank the lord!!!

• Sad
  • Heart
For me no hair issues, although I've become severely intolerant to several food groups (dairy, pulses, grains) to the extent of projectile vomiting. I am slowly and painfully figuring out what I can eat. Wine seems fine thank the lord!!!
That sounds awful but the ending made me laugh.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I had my second dose of Pfizer yesterday and since getting my first in July, my period has been giving me hell. I always had issues with heavy bleeding and horrific cramps before this but after getting my first vaccine I was nearly constantly bleeding. I think I’ve had a week of no bleeding since July. Anyway, yesterday morning I had been bleeding for three weeks straight and by last night it had slowed down rapidly to the point where it’s nearly stopped this morning. I am worried though, is it going to start again? Will the bleeding and pain be worse? Who knows but I’m really not looking forward to finding out.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
I had my second dose of Pfizer yesterday and since getting my first in July, my period has been giving me hell. I always had issues with heavy bleeding and horrific cramps before this but after getting my first vaccine I was nearly constantly bleeding. I think I’ve had a week of no bleeding since July. Anyway, yesterday morning I had been bleeding for three weeks straight and by last night it had slowed down rapidly to the point where it’s nearly stopped this morning. I am worried though, is it going to start again? Will the bleeding and pain be worse? Who knows but I’m really not looking forward to finding out.
Please make sure you're eating extra iron rich foods. Have you also asked for a gyne referral?

I had my second jab last Friday, the moderna. I came on on Friday and my period has been horrendous. I’ve been passing clots which I never pass, their not that big apart from one which I felt like I had to push out. The first night of my period I was in agony, I had near enough no sleep cos the pain was constant. My period after my first jab was the same too 😞

• Sad
  • Heart
Mine have been so painful since first jab. I usually have cramps for the first couple of hours but now I seem to get 3 days worth of cramps before any sign of the period. The periods have been lighter though…

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
I had my first Jab back in June and was fine, had my 2nd in August, my period came 3 days later and was awful, really heavy with clots the size or oranges,, horrific cramps and hot sweats, this month, 2 days before my period arrived I was feeling sick, faint, exhausted and had really bad cramps and period is really heavy again, literally changing my pad every hour and I use fabric ones so hold a bit more and the hot flushes are unreal. I'm 33 so pretty sure it's not menopause yet so can only assume its a side effect?!

I had covid (pretty sure twice) and that didn't effect my cycle at all

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm sad there are so many other people going through this.

In my teens and early 20s I had extremely heavy and painful periods and really bad PMS. I'm 34 now and in the past few years they had calmed themselves down tonnes, a much lighter flow, hardly any pain and a couple of very down days (one at the start and one at the end) but no other mood swings. It was usually to a set schedule as well.

That has changed ever since I had the Pfizer vaccine. I had my first jab in May and got my period that evening, approx 16 days early. Ever since then it has no set schedule (sometimes two weeks inbetween, sometimes four weeks), is incredibly heavy, incredibly painful and my moods swings are so bad I feel like Kevin the Teenager.

I mentioned the mood swings to my MH nurse and she said I need to eat more wholegrains and could book an appointment to go on the pill. I'm worried that if I go to that appointment I'll just be dismissed as a kook because all the articles I read say these things are only short term.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
This my first proper period since getting both my AZ jabs and its absolutely horrendous! I get quite bad cramps in general but they last maybe a day or two tops & they aren't constant so they are bearable, my periods have always been heavy but again only for a day or two tops. Now on day 3 and it's still heavy, my back is in bits and i feel so lousy as well as a huge breakout which never happens, I'm 32. Really not used to this. I'm unable to sleep at night due to the cramps so I can't get comfortable. Think I will probably have to try sleeping in the spare room tonight so I don't wake my partner every 2 mins. I am in work until 5pm then will go home and get the hot water bottle! Praying it will ease off over the next day or two but can't be dealing with this every month :(

• Heart
  • Sad
I am so glad I found this thread, as since my second vaccine I have noticed my cycle has changed. I am usually like clockwork, down to the hour, and since my second jab I've been over a week late both times. Might not seem a big deal to others but the PMS in the lead up has also been awful, and I've felt incredibly low, which I never used to experience. When my period does arrive though, it has been lighter and shorter than it was before too.

Really hope there is some proper research into this - there is obviously something having an effect and its annoying being dismissed as a crank when raising these things! (For clarity I am fully for the vaccine and accept that there can be some side effects as part of that, but would just like these ones to be properly looked into!)

I can't believe how many of us are going through this.

I've had both my Pfizer and since the second my periods have been unpredictable. I'm on Microgynon and have been for years so like clockwork and same symptoms, bleed etc every month usually. Now for my last two, I've been insanely heavy for the first two days then light as anything. Also having severe cramps in my lower back and stomach, my acne has flared back up, fatigued all the way through. Seems all symptoms from cramps to cravings/hunger and a thousand times magnified! Used to have like a dull ache in my stomach during my period and that's about it but never anything this bad. This month seems worse than last month so hoping next month it's nothing like this.

I really, really hope this is studied and is a temporary problem for us and not a long term issue!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My first period since my second vaccine has finally turned up - 75 days late with PMS symptoms throughout this time, mood swings and bloating were something else! Hoping things return to something closer to normal for everyone soon.

• Wow
My periods since the vaccine have been so heavy, thick clots and more cramps. Double jabbed for a few months now and it's not really gotten any lighter. Way TMI but I will feel the cramps and have to run to the toilet and they drop out almost solid. Quite scary. I've been having super heavy first couple of days of my period then it eases off... I use reusable cloth pads and going through so many more now. My periods were always so light and clot free that's why I switched to cloth after my kid was born.

• Sad
I thought it was just me! My periods have always been extremely painful and have been heavy since having a baby but my period following my second jab was horrendous. 2 days of cramps which isn’t out of the ordinary, but I had to change my pad 3 times during the second night it was so heavy and had clot after clot. Then on the second day there was barely anything there.

It's just so annoying - it really does feel like it's just being swept under the rug. The fact that for 'most' people (and most could be 50.1%) it seems to be temporary doesn't mean that it will be for everyone, and even if it is temporary for 100% of people then it still deserves to be investigated.

If 35,000 men in the UK had experienced penis related issues then I think this would have be taken a lot more seriously from the get go.

Reactions: 9