Painful Period after Covid Vaccine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m sorry to jump in - I will go back and read the thread this evening but I just wanted to share my experience to see if anyone else has had the same changes.

Before my vaccine I never experienced more than half a day of PMS. Now I’m having at least two weeks of incredibly low moods, almost feeling depressed before my period, the days before are horrific. I’ve searched for other reasons as to why I feel like this but I can’t find any, I’m happy with my life and it shifts once my period is here. This month my boobs were incredibly sore too, a symptom I haven’t had for years.

Reactions: 4
I wonder if there is any possibility of collating all this information and getting someone to look into it from a medical perspective.

It surely cannot be a coincidence that so many women are affected?

I always had 28 days cycles, the period immediately after the 2nd dose was a) delayed by 10 days, b) I had very heavy cramps for 10 days and c) heavy bleeding for 10 days (normally 5) and d) now my ovulation seems delayed.

None of these things ever happened to me, I had a regular cycle, light cramps on the first day only, moderate bleeding for 5 day and ovulation on day 12 of my cycle.

It scares me.
It isn't just Tattle either, my male manager asked me the other week about the covid jab and periods as he'd heard really gnarly things about happenings to women after being jabbed. I thought how interesting that was as he is a 25 year old man so it's not exactly relevant to his life in any way.

I remember at high school when we had some kind of health professional come to talk to us abotu sex/periods etc and someone asked why we got cramps and they had no idea. I was much younger then and less aware of these kind of issues, but even then it shocked me that a medical professional wouldn't know a basic fact like this
I'm not sure if this is something you want an answer on but the cramps are caused by the cervix dilating to allow blood to pass through. It's essentially early stages of labour.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I’m sorry to jump in - I will go back and read the thread this evening but I just wanted to share my experience to see if anyone else has had the same changes.

Before my vaccine I never experienced more than half a day of PMS. Now I’m having at least two weeks of incredibly low moods, almost feeling depressed before my period, the days before are horrific. I’ve searched for other reasons as to why I feel like this but I can’t find any, I’m happy with my life and it shifts once my period is here. This month my boobs were incredibly sore too, a symptom I haven’t had for years.
You're not alone at all!

So glad to have stumbled on this thread! Thought I was alone, but after my second jab I experienced three weeks of heavy bleeding (despite only having finished my period four days beforehand).

The bleeding eventually stopped but since that my periods have been much heavier and much more painful!

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Whilst I can't prove it my periods were affected after I had the vaccine, in that they were delayed massively. By 60 days, and that is very unusual for me. I'm 45 and had regular heavy periods previously. Spoke to doctor and was told that I was probably menopausal and am now on HRT. Haven't had a period now since August. I think i'll probably not have one now. Could the vaccine of brought on menopause??
Similar for me. 49 and had a blood test last year and told I wasn’t peri menopausal. Second jab in May. 8 week period. Nothing since.

Reactions: 1
I had the jab in July, last period was August :( since I’ve felt pms symptoms pretty much every day and it’s really affecting my mental health. Really hoping it sorts out soon as we’re supposed to be TTC. As a result I won’t be getting the 2nd shot or booster jab
I’ve finally had a period! It was such a relief and I feel so normal again. I didn’t realise how hormonal I felt. Hopefully this means I’m back to normal. Good luck to you all

• Heart
Reactions: 7
wondering if anyone can give me some advice - so I take Cerelle which is a pill that you take everyday with no break. According to the Dr, it's suppose to stop my period completely. I've been taking it for the last 5 months no problems. I have never missed a day in all the time I've been taking it. I came on my period today. Properly as well, pains and everything not just spotting which is normal for this pill. This is an actual period.

Has anyone experienced this before? I thought about ringing the drs again tomorrow but they always fob me off so I'd rather not if I can help it

wondering if anyone can give me some advice - so I take Cerelle which is a pill that you take everyday with no break. According to the Dr, it's suppose to stop my period completely. I've been taking it for the last 5 months no problems. I have never missed a day in all the time I've been taking it. I came on my period today. Properly as well, pains and everything not just spotting which is normal for this pill. This is an actual period.

Has anyone experienced this before? I thought about ringing the drs again tomorrow but they always fob me off so I'd rather not if I can help it
Did this happen shortly after the vaccine? I would call the doctors, they should not fob you off. Maybe also speak to your GP if it is from the vaccine.

I had the strongest, most painful and heaviest period of my life after the vaccines.

Did this happen shortly after the vaccine? I would call the doctors, they should not fob you off. Maybe also speak to your GP if it is from the vaccine.

I had the strongest, most painful and heaviest period of my life after the vaccines.
so after the first vaccine (may) my periods got marginally worse. It went from 3 days of bleeding and no pain to 3 days of sickness and diarrhoea to the point where I got sent home from work 3 months in a row as I just couldn't function. That's when I started the pill so that it would (suppose to!) stop my periods. So far it worked fine. I had the second vaccine in July and the pill was still working fine then. It's just this month that the period has come? I have taken the pill everyday too I have not missed a day as I have a reminder on my phone and they are right next to my bed.

so after the first vaccine (may) my periods got marginally worse. It went from 3 days of bleeding and no pain to 3 days of sickness and diarrhoea to the point where I got sent home from work 3 months in a row as I just couldn't function. That's when I started the pill so that it would (suppose to!) stop my periods. So far it worked fine. I had the second vaccine in July and the pill was still working fine then. It's just this month that the period has come? I have taken the pill everyday too I have not missed a day as I have a reminder on my phone and they are right next to my bed.
Hm, very strange.
I would get this checked out, via blood test to test your hormones. Especially as you get sick as well.
Do you know how these pills stop the period?

What vaccine did you get?

I got the Pfizer vaccine, three weeks apart, and the first one after my period so both vaccines were in the same cycle.
I then got my period a week late, after both vaccines, and it lasted for ten days (twice as long as normal) and the pains were really bad, I was actually thinking I had an early miscarriage judging by the cramps and pain.

Hm, very strange.
I would get this checked out, via blood test to test your hormones. Especially as you get sick as well.
Do you know how these pills stop the period?

What vaccine did you get?

I got the Pfizer vaccine, three weeks apart, and the first one after my period so both vaccines were in the same cycle.
I then got my period a week late, after both vaccines, and it lasted for ten days (twice as long as normal) and the pains were really bad, I was actually thinking I had an early miscarriage judging by the cramps and pain.
Apparently they mimick pregnancy in your body by mimicking the progesterone hormone. it is a progesterone only pill.

I got Pfizer. The sickness and diarrhoea only started badly after the vaccine

Apparently they mimick pregnancy in your body by mimicking the progesterone hormone. it is a progesterone only pill.

I got Pfizer. The sickness and diarrhoea only started badly after the vaccine
Ah, I see.

Hm, I got Pfizer, too, and there seems to be a connection.
I would go to your GP and discuss this.

I think it is unbelievable that they did not explore what the vaccines do to the cycle! Irresponsible.

And I hope you are feeling better soon. 💚

I had my second shot at the end of August and it impacted the duration of my period. My period has always lasted four days with a very very light flow on the fourth day. However, after getting my second shot in August, my period got shorter in the sense that I would get the flow of four days in two and no flow on days 3 and 4. This impacted my period in September & October. I got my November period and it seems it has started to return back to normal. After my September period, I decided to monitor this for 6 months and hope it gets back to normal.

For the first time since I got my jab in July I haven’t had horrific low moods before my period. Never had anything like them until I had my vaccines, I hope they stay away.

It isn't just Tattle either, my male manager asked me the other week about the covid jab and periods as he'd heard really gnarly things about happenings to women after being jabbed. I thought how interesting that was as he is a 25 year old man so it's not exactly relevant to his life in any way.

I'm not sure if this is something you want an answer on but the cramps are caused by the cervix dilating to allow blood to pass through. It's essentially early stages of labour.
that is very interesting, thank you! how the hell a health visitor didn't know this I do not know! very interesting about your male colleague

I think it's s the lining of your uterus contracting, not necessarily the cervix, although it can dilate slightly, but not like childbirth.
The worse the pain, tends to be the thicker the period. Sorry for TMI!

I've had 3 children, and never really suffered bad period pain, and I've never suffered abnormal periods either.

After my first jab though the pain immediately brought back memories of early labour, not even ibuprofen got rid of the cramps and I was passing clots the size of a 5p, sometimes very slightly larger. I could also watch it fall from me as I was on the toilet...again, sorry for the graphic description, but it was agony! I did feel like my cervix was dilating though!

For my 2 periods after my jab I had this, and while in bed I even naturally breathed liked I was in early labour.
I chose not to have any other jabs and just last week was chased up about it via a phone call.
The man was very nice and I told him why I hadn't had any further vaccines. He asked if I wanted to be passed onto a clinical team to dicuss this, but I said no and he said that was fine and agreed with my reasons.

I do wonder if the information in these phone calls are passed over for statistics 🤔

• Heart
My painful period is back. October was fine but this month it's agonising. The back pain is horrendous but I'm not heavy at all.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I got my two Pfizer jabs in August and October. Both delayed my period by a week at least. I am not someone who has a lot of PMS but for both the periods that followed the vaccines, it was pure agony. The mood swings, bloating and stomach pain. Also the actual period duration was quite short, barely lasted 3/4 days.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
I had the vaccine (AstraZen) in June. My periods have been more heavy and painful since but my period this month is over a week late so far 😟 I’m not on contraception and my husband has had the snip. I’m panicking, taken 3 pregnancy tests, all negative. I feel like an emotional wreck 😢. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

• Heart
I had the vaccine (AstraZen) in June. My periods have been more heavy and painful since but my period this month is over a week late so far 😟 I’m not on contraception and my husband has had the snip. I’m panicking, taken 3 pregnancy tests, all negative. I feel like an emotional wreck 😢. Anyone else experienced anything similar?
I feel most people have experienced 7-10 days delay in their period after the vaccine. Panicking might affect it as well. Since your pregnancy tests are negative, you can rule out pregnancy.