Our Yorkshire Farm

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Age does matter IMO. One of my friends relatives married a much older man, 20 plus years. By the time she was in her early- mid 40s he was in his 70s and had strokes and dementia etc. She was stuck looking after him(family wouldn't help) and he verbally abused her constantly. She was constantly on the verge of a breakdown. He eventually went into residential care.
She said that people will say age doesn't matter and when they do, think about what happened with me. She advised anyone strongly to marry someone around the same age. Her example is not unusual.
I don't know anything about Clive's daughter, I've not commented on that.
And you can become disabled tomorrow and need 24/7 care from your partner 🤷‍♀️
Anything can happen to anyone, you can get dementia in your 40s, be hit by a bus, become a quadriplegic from an accident, have a stroke at any age……

Yes age is a factor but come on if she was only in it for the money they wouldn’t have Made it 20+ years with all those kids.

you can’t live your life with ‘what ifs’ take the risks, do what you want to do!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The only thing I don't understand is how she is able to do the book signings and Evening With tour when she has the kids and farm to look after, her husband can only do so much and most of the kids are not old enough to do everything for themselves.

Reactions: 2
The only thing I don't understand is how she is able to do the book signings and Evening With tour when she has the kids and farm to look after, her husband can only do so much and most of the kids are not old enough to do everything for themselves.
She can afford help mow I suppose.

Reactions: 1
I am not really sure what I think of Amanda and I definitely would not take a daily Mail article as an accurate account of what was said by the daughter.

The family do seem untouchable by criticism which I always have found interesting. They are very much beloved by lots of people and the daily Mail comments section always raves about how wonderful they are.

Reactions: 7
I feel for the eldest children. I was the eldest of four and helped to raise them. I legged it at 18 as soon as possible to uni, and left my very lazy Mum to it......

I feel for the eldest children. I was the eldest of four and helped to raise them. I legged it at 18 as soon as possible to uni, and left my very lazy Mum to it......
Amanda used to rely on Raven an awful lot to take care of the younger kids.

Reactions: 2
I am not really sure what I think of Amanda and I definitely would not take a daily Mail article as an accurate account of what was said by the daughter.

The family do seem untouchable by criticism which I always have found interesting. They are very much beloved by lots of people and the daily Mail comments section always raves about how wonderful they are.
I think its because they are a cross between the Darling Buds of May and the Walton's and are very twee. I think there's a bit of nostalgia mixed in as well. Also they tick all the right boxes, they are straight, married, White British, seen to have good British values, not claiming welfare benefits (bar C.B) etc...

Reactions: 8
I think its because they are a cross between the Darling Buds of May and the Walton's and are very twee. I think there's a bit of nostalgia mixed in as well. Also they tick all the right boxes, they are straight, married, White British, seen to have good British values, not claiming welfare benefits (bar C.B) etc...
Spot on you've nailed it for sure!

Reactions: 3

Yes that's very true! No wonder she likes to market herself (it's understandable to a certain degree) because she knows the life they lead is in a sense both aspirational and nostalgic!
People need respite from the modern world and all the stress that brings and this is a perfect slice of escapism if you will.
She is savvy I'll give her that she knows she is photogenic and let's be honest seems to be naturally (genetically) blessed.
Not only is she beautiful but she seems very fit and energetic and seems to be one of those lucky woman who pings back into shape like an elastic band and makes the whole motherhood lark seem pretty easy! Then again it is easy if you have a marriage where your partner is both supportive and besotted with you and also where the other children are there to be helping hands!
She really is the archetypal shepherdess( with all the fertility symbolism that evokes) with her flock of children and animals to look after.
So it's pastoral and idyllic to those of us fatigued by inner city living! (I know I am)
Nevermind hard work we all work hard but this is hard work that offers a real sense of satisfaction getting in touch with nature and the natural world and all its natural abundance.
I've lived for a time in rural Albania and I immediately felt fitter and healthier than I had done for years (the difference was palpable and I miss it) also a sense of community and shared trials.
Not to mention the delicious (home made food) and eating things that have been grown or nurtured by you is something else!
So I completely get the huge attraction and fascination Amanda and her family hold for people
Who doesn't want to tap into the good life? So again (sorry to repeat) yes it's hard work but the rewards are so worth it
Which leads me onto my next point her criticism of other parents r.e them bringing up a snowflake generation who don't like hard work or know how to do things!
I think it's then that i thought oh dear....
That revealed to me quite frankly a bit of a snooty and condescending attitude!
She is imo starting to get a bit of a big head!
Tbh being her it must be difficult not to because as I've said she has it all brains beauty strength living her best life a beautiful family and is living in one of the most beautiful parts of England doing a job she loves.

However just because she loves what she does and is riding high on a wave of Hugh popularity (Yes most of the DM readers seem to venerate her as some kind of super woman earth goddess)
She really is starting to believe that hype imo and is walking a fine line really between being powerful and being arrogant!

The remarks aimed at other parents considering we've all been pushed to the brim during lockdown and a lot of us faced huge restrictions were really in my opinion tone deaf and insensitive.
How does she know with certainty that other people's children (or parents) don't work hard?
A lot of work these days for example involves a high degree of mental or emotional stress and exertion.
Think for example of a teacher or police officer or nurse!
How would she like to have been a bus driver or delivery person or work on a checkout (especially during a pandemic)!
Yet it's these maybe more mundane and stressful jobs that make up the backbone of our society.
Parents don't get congratulated or given kudos for doing it (or at least not public adulation) but you know life has to go on .. .
Bills to pay chores to do kids to look after (remember home schooling anyone) locked indoors like sardines. Yes the restrictions lifted but the tiredness didn't!
It was (still is) for many (myself include) pretty relentless and exhausting!
Now we have Amanda Owens telling us that guess what we (and our kids) didn't work hard or know the meaning of it!
To add insult to injury we are told that we all (because she does generalise) don't know how to do things and that we are breeding a generation of snowflakes!
This at a time when many people struggled financially mentally and had maybe the biggest pressure that they'd ever had
With both the divorce rate and rate of domestic violence being at an all time high.
In some ways we've never had it so bad (sorry but it did feel like that) and she's never had it so good!
Well bully for her but she really came across to be honest as if she lacked empathy.
Good for her she is so fortunate in so many ways but she really doesn't seem to understand that and for me at least that makes her quite unlikeable.
She has everything but she knows it doesn't she and you know a good dose of humility just wouldn't go amiss now would it?
Just my opinion I don't expect everyone to agree with it but she does seem to have quite the talent for wrongly believing that her opinions are the last word on anything and is becoming insufferably self righteous and preachy!
Save it Amanda pride comes before a fall.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes that's very true! No wonder she likes to market herself (it's understandable to a certain degree) because she knows the life they lead is in a sense both aspirational and nostalgic!
People need respite from the modern world and all the stress that brings and this is a perfect slice of escapism if you will.
She is savvy I'll give her that she knows she is photogenic and let's be honest seems to be naturally (genetically) blessed.
Not only is she beautiful but she seems very fit and energetic and seems to be one of those lucky woman who pings back into shape like an elastic band and makes the whole motherhood lark seem pretty easy! Then again it is easy if you have a marriage where your partner is both supportive and besotted with you and also where the other children are there to be helping hands!
She really is the archetypal shepherdess( with all the fertility symbolism that evokes) with her flock of children and animals to look after.
So it's pastoral and idyllic to those of us fatigued by inner city living! (I know I am)
Nevermind hard work we all work hard but this is hard work that offers a real sense of satisfaction getting in touch with nature and the natural world and all its natural abundance.
I've lived for a time in rural Albania and I immediately felt fitter and healthier than I had done for years (the difference was palpable and I miss it) also a sense of community and shared trials.
Not to mention the delicious (home made food) and eating things that have been grown or nurtured by you is something else!
So I completely get the huge attraction and fascination Amanda and her family hold for people
Who doesn't want to tap into the good life? So again (sorry to repeat) yes it's hard work but the rewards are so worth it
Which leads me onto my next point her criticism of other parents r.e them bringing up a snowflake generation who don't like hard work or know how to do things!
Tbh being her it must be difficult not to because as I've said she has it all brains beauty strength living her best life a beautiful family and is living in one of the most beautiful parts of England doing a job she loves.

However just because she loves what she does and is riding high on a wave of Hugh popularity (Yes most of the DM readers seem to venerate her as some kind of super woman earth goddess)
She really is starting to believe that hype imo and is walking a fine line really between being powerful and being arrogant!

The remarks aimed at other parents considering we've all been pushed to the brim during lockdown and a lot of us faced huge restrictions were really in my opinion tone deaf and insensitive.
How does she know with certainty that other people's children (or parents) don't work hard?
A lot of work these days for example involves a high degree of mental or emotional stress and exertion.
How would she like to have been a bus driver or delivery person or work on a checkout (especially during a pandemic)!
Yet it's these maybe more mundane and stressful jobs that make up the backbone of our society.
Parents don't get congratulated or given kudos for doing it (or at least not public adulation) but you know life has to go on .. .
Bills to pay chores to do kids to look after (remember home schooling anyone) locked indoors like sardines. Yes the restrictions lifted but the tiredness didn't!
Now we have Amanda Owens telling us that guess what we (and our kids) didn't work hard or know the meaning of it!
To add insult to injury we are told that we all (because she does generalise) don't know how to do things and that we are breeding a generation of snowflakes!
This at a time when many people struggled financially mentally and had maybe the biggest pressure that they'd ever had
With both the divorce rate and rate of domestic violence being at an all time high.
In some ways we've never had it so bad (sorry but it did feel like that) and she's never had it so good!
Well bully for her but she really came across to be honest as if she lacked empathy.
Good for her she is so fortunate in so many ways but she really doesn't seem to understand that and for me at least that makes her quite unlikeable.
She has everything but she knows it doesn't she and you know a good dose of humility just wouldn't go amiss now would it?
Just my opinion I don't expect everyone to agree with it but she does seem to have quite the talent for wrongly believing that her opinions are the last word on anything and is becoming insufferably self righteous and preachy!
Totally agree, very tone deaf as to what a tough time people are going through. Bit of a know all, my way or the high way attitude. TBH if she lived on a council estate with nine children, she would not be getting the love she does in the DM comments. I know some may say the family are not on benefits, but in this overpopulated country of ours - nine children is a lot...

Reactions: 9
Totally agree, very tone deaf as to what a tough time people are going through. Bit of a know all, my way or the high way attitude. TBH if she lived on a council estate with nine children, she would not be getting the love she does in the DM comments. I know some may say the family are not on benefits, but in this overpopulated country of ours - nine children is a lot...
Why on earth did she have so many?She doesn't even come across as being particularly maternal.🙁

Reactions: 7
Why on earth did she have so many?She doesn't even come across as being particularly maternal.🙁
I think she's a throwback to times past when it was quite the norm for women to have big families.
Also with the delegation of care to the elder siblings so it's less an act of heroism and more just stoic getting on with things and you could argue instilling old fashioned family values.
I think the way they live gives a reminder to many of not just the past and the way things used to be done but also in a sense of what some people feel like they have lost connection with
The security of a big family where people help each out a healthier more practical less cerebral way of life and the celebration of a strong powerful matriarchal figure. (Some British men really have a thing about that bordering on a fetish!)
I think rightly or wrongly she not only rules the roost but it's almost like a mini tribe the way they live and is very insular and self sufficient (they need no one) and again it's that spirit of independence (unattainable) that makes her attractive to many along with their lifestyle.....
Fancy being dependent on universal credit or being scared that you could loose your job or income at any minute? (No me neither but it's a sad reality for many at the moment).
You could say then that she has it made? There will never be a dull moment in the house and because she doesn't come across as the reflective type always lots to do and be busy with.
With that in mind I don't find it unusual that she's had such a large family it looks like she can cope with the practical side pretty well (pregnancy breast feeding and giving birth)
Once a child is born it seems as if the child is a shared responsibility and also that she expects a child to learn the ropes and help out at the earliest chance.
Many hands make light work and all that.
I also think that she's someone who thrives on being in the spotlight and whatever goes on behind the scenes (and the family must have issues just like any other) she knows how to make it look easy and takes pride and care about how she comes across and is seen by others?
As others have rightly pointed out if she was a single mother on benefits would she be praised so lavishly?
Or if she was an Irish gypsy for example they have communities in rural areas and know the traditions some of them still have very large families stay together and stay married and are also house proud and work hard and keep their figures.
Yet when was the last time that they were held up as a positive role model or praised or had people wanting to emulate their way of life?
I would say that rarely happens for the most part they are still rejected complained about and discriminated against ....
So as I said in a previous post other people work hard as well as Amanda but it looks as if when your in a group that gets discriminated against or demonised people don't take that into account or give credit because it doesn't fit into the stereotype.
Some are marginalised and naturally seen as outsiders no matter what they do or who they are or how hard they work.....that makes me very sad.
Amanda Owens is interesting to me because through her I see just how unequal and prejudiced and rooted in the past (also in a bad sense) our society is (sometimes).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think she's a throwback to times past when it was quite the norm for women to have big families.
Also with the delegation of care to the elder siblings so it's less an act of heroism and more just stoic getting on with things and you could argue instilling old fashioned family values.
I think the way they live gives a reminder to many of not just the past and the way things used to be done but also in a sense of what some people feel like they have lost connection with
The security of a big family where people help each out a healthier more practical less cerebral way of life and the celebration of a strong powerful matriarchal figure. (Some British men really have a thing about that bordering on a fetish!)
I think rightly or wrongly she not only rules the roost but it's almost like a mini tribe the way they live and is very insular and self sufficient (they need no one) and again it's that spirit of independence (unattainable) that makes her attractive to many along with their lifestyle.....
Fancy being dependent on universal credit or being scared that you could loose your job or income at any minute? (No me neither but it's a sad reality for many at the moment).
You could say then that she has it made? There will never be a dull moment in the house and because she doesn't come across as the reflective type always lots to do and be busy with.
With that in mind I don't find it unusual that she's had such a large family it looks like she can cope with the practical side pretty well (pregnancy breast feeding and giving birth)
Once a child is born it seems as if the child is a shared responsibility and also that she expects a child to learn the ropes and help out at the earliest chance.
Many hands make light work and all that.
I also think that she's someone who thrives on being in the spotlight and whatever goes on behind the scenes (and the family must have issues just like any other) she knows how to make it look easy and takes pride and care about how she comes across and is seen by others?
As others have rightly pointed out if she was a single mother on benefits would she be praised so lavishly?
Or if she was an Irish gypsy for example they have communities in rural areas and know the traditions some of them still have very large families stay together and stay married and are also house proud and work hard and keep their figures.
Yet when was the last time that they were held up as a positive role model or praised or had people wanting to emulate their way of life?
I would say that rarely happens for the most part they are still rejected complained about and discriminated against ....
So as I said in a previous post other people work hard as well as Amanda but it looks as if when your in a group that gets discriminated against or demonised people don't take that into account or give credit because it doesn't fit into the stereotype.
Some are marginalised and naturally seen as outsiders no matter what they do or who they are or how hard they work.....that makes me very sad.
Amanda Owens is interesting to me because through her I see just how unequal and prejudiced and rooted in the past (also in a bad sense) our society is (sometimes).
I think she comes from a middle class background and was brought up in posh Harrogate. She was a model for awhile before becoming a shepherdess. I agree that if she sZ a traveller she would be demonised rather than praised. I also agree that they appear very insular. In the past rural families in remote areas would help each other out as life was so tough and the big difference between their reality and Amanda's is that there are no TV cameras money made andno book signings of social media which helps Amanda and co to be self sufficient. Communities had to rely on each other more. I have no idea how things were before the family became ytv stars

Amanda has just been on BBC Breakfast and came over quite arrogant. She was saying they had a great lockdown, the kids learned how to use electronics, social media etc and they spent hours outdoors never minding what hour or day it was and she had a brilliant time writing her new book.
Never mind that thousands of kids were locked up in tower blocks, they were alright.

Reactions: 9
Amanda has just been on BBC Breakfast and came over quite arrogant. She was saying they had a great lockdown, the kids learned how to use electronics, social media etc and they spent hours outdoors never minding what hour or day it was and she had a brilliant time writing her new book.
Never mind that thousands of kids were locked up in tower blocks, they were alright.
I saw some of it and yes she was well smug and arrogant her true colours are coming out more and more

Reactions: 10

I agree with you. Yet if people say her kids aren't streetwise and won't know what life outside a farm is like she gets all arsey about it. If you don't want your life choices criticised don't mouth off about other people. At least she seems to have had a choice in the matter. The Radford mum seems to have some learning difficulties and can't seem to stop having babies.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I agree with you. Yet if people say her kids aren't streetwise and won't know what life outside a farm is like she gets all arsey about it. If you don't want your life choices criticised don't mouth off about other people. At least she seems to have had a choice in the matter. The Radford mum seems to have some learning difficulties and can't seem to stop having babies.
Who is the Radford mum?

Who is the Radford mum?
Sue Radford she has a thread on her I think she has about 20 children now. (Sorry not sure of the exact figure because she keeps having more babies!)
I find her life a little sad though she seems more of a victim than Amanda Owens she had her first child very young and Noel was old enough to know better and really she seems taken advantage of (statutory rape) and someone who hasn't grown up or developed past that age.
She definitely must be addicted to being pregnant because it's dangerous for her now but she still goes ahead and risks her life.
They say they are self sufficient but let down customers with their pie business and it looks like Sue leaves most of the childcare to the other girls.
I think it's a case of Sue was exploited while young and now she exploits others and the cycle continues.
People on the thread generally speaking don't seem to like them because they are using their family for material gains and to live it up and really I think it's a case of no one (apart from Sue's daughter's) would want to be like them and people are just a bit repulsed by them to be honest. (Or that's the general impression I get).
I find it disturbing as well and wonder why the media give them such praise and interest not because of their lifestyle but because (as I mentioned before) Noel's grooming and impregnation of Sue which has never really caused an outcry! It should have done!
I can't escape the feeling that it's all a bit tawdry they are not the wholesome family they first appeared to be! (Not that it's Sue's fault)
Again Sue is accustomed to living like that but I can't help but think that it's a form of controlling behaviour that she has gotten used to and has come to emulate.
She defines herself by her fertility it's all a bit basic and sad but then maybe it's the only way she knows how to gain attention and feel special which is sad in itself?
She gets criticised but how would you be able to mature and be a good parent if you'd never taken stock of yourself or discovered who you are?
It seems to me as if pregnancy is a form of temporary relief and distraction (and denial) so she doesn't have to look at what is really bothering her.
Her unhealthy relationship with Noel?
So yeah she's the opposite of Amanda in many ways she isn't self aware of aspirational or middle class or an ex model so they are relatively well known but I think it's to their detriment?
They might get gifted things or the odd holiday but I don't think it's made Sue happy just brought out her bad habits because as I've said she just isn't very well equipped to deal with even a small element of fame (or attention).
So you'll get people calling her out and feeling free to have a go at her parenting choices (and his) and really I think they are just being used by the media for cheap content.
Unlike Amanda who plays the media to her advantage but then Sue is not as glamourous or seen as being hard working so there is an element of seeing Sue as fair game for criticism which makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
She is said to be lazy and indolent and feckless and all the rest but really no one has ever intervened in the life of this woman no social worker or family member or friend or health visitor to say really when she started having babies she was too young and it was abusive and really I see from sue a massive grab for security and safety (in numbers) and just burying herself (and hiding) in the role of mother.
She's damaged and maybe she doesn't seem it now but there has been a time when she was vulnerable and she should have been supported and now she's caught out because she doesn't know how to support her daughter's and so the cycle continues.
I find it an uncomfortable watch tbh.
Edit to add when I say intervened I mean in the sense that Sue should have been given some outside support and help sadly this has never happened but I think it would have been beneficial for her?
Sorry about the long post but I do feel like Sue had been let down a lot in her life and that goes some
way into explaining her not very wise life choices?
🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Sue Radford she has a thread on her I think she has about 20 children now. (Sorry not sure of the exact figure because she keeps having more babies!)
I find her life a little sad though she seems more of a victim than Amanda Owens she had her first child very young and Noel was old enough to know better and really she seems taken advantage of (statutory rape) and someone who hasn't grown up or developed past that age.
She definitely must be addicted to being pregnant because it's dangerous for her now but she still goes ahead and risks her life.
They say they are self sufficient but let down customers with their pie business and it looks like Sue leaves most of the childcare to the other girls.
I think it's a case of Sue was exploited while young and now she exploits others and the cycle continues.
People on the thread generally speaking don't seem to like them because they are using their family for material gains and to live it up and really I think it's a case of no one (apart from Sue's daughter's) would want to be like them and people are just a bit repulsed by them to be honest. (Or that's the general impression I get).
I find it disturbing as well and wonder why the media give them such praise and interest not because of their lifestyle but because (as I mentioned before) Noel's grooming and impregnation of Sue which has never really caused an outcry! It should have done!
I can't escape the feeling that it's all a bit tawdry they are not the wholesome family they first appeared to be! (Not that it's Sue's fault)
Again Sue is accustomed to living like that but I can't help but think that it's a form of controlling behaviour that she has gotten used to and has come to emulate.
She defines herself by her fertility it's all a bit basic and sad but then maybe it's the only way she knows how to gain attention and feel special which is sad in itself?
She gets criticised but how would you be able to mature and be a good parent if you'd never taken stock of yourself or discovered who you are?
It seems to me as if pregnancy is a form of temporary relief and distraction (and denial) so she doesn't have to look at what is really bothering her.
Her unhealthy relationship with Noel?
So yeah she's the opposite of Amanda in many ways she isn't self aware of aspirational or middle class or an ex model so they are relatively well known but I think it's to their detriment?
They might get gifted things or the odd holiday but I don't think it's made Sue happy just brought out her bad habits because as I've said she just isn't very well equipped to deal with even a small element of fame (or attention).
So you'll get people calling her out and feeling free to have a go at her parenting choices (and his) and really I think they are just being used by the media for cheap content.
Unlike Amanda who plays the media to her advantage but then Sue is not as glamourous or seen as being hard working so there is an element of seeing Sue as fair game for criticism which makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
She is said to be lazy and indolent and feckless and all the rest but really no one has ever intervened in the life of this woman no social worker or family member or friend or health visitor to say really when she started having babies she was too young and it was abusive and really I see from sue a massive grab for security and safety (in numbers) and just burying herself (and hiding) in the role of mother.
She's damaged and maybe she doesn't seem it now but there has been a time when she was vulnerable and she should have been supported and now she's caught out because she doesn't know how to support her daughter's and so the cycle continues.
I find it an uncomfortable watch tbh

Misbehaving - they have 22 !!! I didn't know they had that many, they had about 12 last time I saw them. o_O

Misbehaving - they have 22 !!! I didn't know they had that many, they had about 12 last time I saw them. o_O
That is a lot and if talk is to be believed she is still trying to add to that figure?
I honestly don't know how anyone could reasonably parent so many children but then I do think it's a case of Sue has not really been parented herself?
Just on a physical level I don't know how her body has coped with it?
I have four and it's taken its toll on me!
She must be very strong I'll give her that!