Olivia Neill #14 She would never pass the bechdel test

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a bit dramatic. Yes it’s ‘cancer’ but it’s not severe/likely to do much harm to her lol. It’s just a massive wake up call
i'm sorry but it's not dramatic at all. whatever the outlook, hearing a doctor tell you that you have cancer when you're 21 is scary and awful. it's amazing the mental gymnastics some of you are doing to justify being so nasty about this whole situation🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 46
i'm sorry but it's not dramatic at all. whatever the outlook, hearing a doctor tell you that you have cancer when you're 21 is scary and awful. it's amazing the mental gymnastics some of you are doing to justify being so nasty about this whole situation🥴
but do you think it's not nasty to have been joking about cancer for all this time? this thread is just going in circles now

Reactions: 7
but do you think it's not nasty to have been joking about cancer for all this time? this thread is just going in circles now
She was like 17… sorry but I don’t feel any less sympathy just because she made ‘jokes’ when she was a child. I doubt she was thinking she’d actually get cancer at the age of 21. She probably thought if anything happened, she’d be old anyway.

Reactions: 13
what i'm saying is EVERYONE has bad/unhealthy habits that they participate in with the 'it won't happen to me' attitude. olivia spoke about sunbeds a lot when she was much younger, and had a way smaller platform. you can't deny that since getting older and growing online, she's moved away from 'branding' herself with sunbed use. the girl 100% knows that she's made offhand comments 4 years ago about getting skin cancer from beds, i just think the last thing that's productive in this situation is for everyone to be stating the obvious to criticise her when she has literally just opened up about actually having cancer. literally all i'm saying is i just think people should hop off and give her a moment to speak about it in her own time before jumping down her throat about it the second she's come out about it saying they have no sympathy, she did it to herself, she was irresponsible etc. like she absolutely knows already just give it a rest😭

Reactions: 4
My auntie has the exact cancer she’s got and hers was from using the sun beds/hiring them to be at her house and going on holiday using literal oil to sit and bake in the sun from sunrise until sunset. They do a minor operation where you’re awake to remove the cancer and then send it off to a lab. She’s had several of them removed from her face/legs/chest.
has Olivia actually said the exact type of cancer it is?

Reactions: 3
So she would only deserve empathy if it was something “that will eventually kill her” or “severe/likely to do her harm”? WHAT

Reactions: 18
She announced her diagnosis casually in a GRWM and was then going out. Like even if this is her processing, who films and edits a tiktok to casually mention it? This is why I feel like even if she is struggling with this, which would be understandable, her attitude didn't show that and it just felt off to me.

Reactions: 4
She has Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), not caused by sunbeds it’s a gene mutation

Reactions: 22
Don’t think it’s that insensitive, I have very little sympathy for her and hope this gives her the kick up the ass she needs. Very insensitive of her to constantly say, “I don’t care if I get skin cancer i need to be tanned” on her very large public platform. The way she used sunbeds and spoke about using them was so so irresponsible, using sunbeds really rubs me the wrong way as there is literally no need for it and everyone knows how much it increases your chances of skin cancer, doesn’t make sense but it makes me angry that people will be so nonchalant about them whenever so many people can do everything right and still be absolutely ravaged with cancer and people like Olivia are not only disregarding their own health but nearly promoting it to their followers. Anyway moral of the story just bleeping fake tan lol
Do you also have no sympathy for people who eat McDonalds, drink alcohol, consume MSG and processed foods, eat a lot of red meat etc.? Sooo much of what we do in our every day lives causes cancer and I guarantee you also partake in an activity which is deemed risky. Compassion costs nothing!

Reactions: 12
She has Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), not caused by sunbeds it’s a gene mutation
poeple are totally choosing yo miss this fact too. she doesn't even have melanoma w
I think some of you don’t understand how skin cancer (and specifically the type of skin cancer Olivia has) is very different to other types of cancer. It’s not something that she will have to live with for the rest of her life that will eventually kill her. She will have an operation to remove it, and that will be it. She will be cancer free. And in a very high percentage of cases it doesn’t grow back. That’s the end of that. Yes it’s scary to hear those words but it’s not like she’s dying or she’s now going to be really sick. So yes I can understand why she’s come online extremely blasé or why some people are saying they don’t really want to give her the time of day on this.
this is a really bizarre way to view someone having cancer. i watched her video, i'm aware she has a really good prognosis and likely won't need treatment outside of surgery, but that doesn't make it not upsetting and scary to hear you have cancer at 21 and it certainly doesn't make her undeserving of sympathy

Reactions: 13
Says online scientists aren’t 100% sure on cause of that type of cancer though. Can be gene related but also can be caused by damage to the skin.

It's a gene mutation which occurs after birth, so it could easily be from her sunbed use. It's thought to be caused by skin injury, so sun burns which she could have easily got from her sun bed use could have caused it. No way to know for sure though, could have been from any other sort of skin injury.

Although I have to say, I don't think its a coincidence that she is a heavy sunbed user and doesn't seem to protect her skin when she is in the sun.

Reactions: 11
We’ve all done stupid things, regardless of the cause the outcome is undeniably tit in this instance. Her actions made it increasingly likely that something like this would happen but that doesn’t equal being deserving of it / undeserving of sympathy. Teenagers make stupid decisions all the time and that’s life, I’m sure it’ll be a mistake she learns from. Cancer’s a witch and with 1/2 people experiencing it at some point in their life it doesn’t discriminate in a way that’s so black and white been those who are conventionally healthy and those at aren’t.

Reactions: 9
she hardly jokes about cancer, I doubt she finds the thought of cancer funny, even before she was diagnosed. she may have said some things about about sun beds and moles in some past videos which were in bad taste but why is everyone acting like she finds the idea of cancer funny? its suuuuch a bad take, she's just been diagnosed and people are saying 'she deserves it,' 'her fault for going on sunbeds' etc she's 21 years old she must be so so so terrified. I swear the internet makes everyone so desensitised its horrific to see...

obviously it must be horrible having had people commenting on her video saying she deserves cancer for the sunbeds, no one deserves cancer - it does bother me though that shes posted her most recent tiktok when she’s clearly uneducated about the subject, saying it wasn’t caused by sunbeds and it’s a gene you’re born with, but it’s a mutation which is caused by damage to the skin (like a burn) - like i say, i hope she’s okay and the surgery gets rid of it completely, but i just wish that she wouldn’t say things like that

Reactions: 7
obviously it must be horrible having had people commenting on her video saying she deserves cancer for the sunbeds, no one deserves cancer - it does bother me though that shes posted her most recent tiktok when she’s clearly uneducated about the subject, saying it wasn’t caused by sunbeds and it’s a gene you’re born with, but it’s a mutation which is caused by damage to the skin (like a burn) - like i say, i hope she’s okay and the surgery gets rid of it completely, but i just wish that she wouldn’t say things like that
This! Like yes it’s commonly caused by a gene you’re born with but it can mutate when your skin is damaged like from a burn or sunbeds so she probably did speed up the process but it can also start at the point of a vaccine from scarring and she said it was where she got the vaccine

It’s the most minor cancer she could have, it’ll be removed and she’ll be fine in no time so I think everyone crying about the lack of empathy is a bit nuts. like let’s be real she’ll be fine and it’s just a parasocial relationship anyway none of us should even know about about a strangers cancer diagnosis let alone care enough to fight over how or why they got it lol

nobody deserves cancer

don’t spend the next hour of ur life crying because people aren’t giving her enough sympathy over the internet

How she speaks on the sensitive subject of cancer and what she promotes on her platform should probably be the topic of conversation not how sad or not sad people are for her

I'd say she's still in shock and processing it in the video she deleted. I'm sure there's no perfect way to announce to the internet you have cancer

So she would only deserve empathy if it was something “that will eventually kill her” or “severe/likely to do her harm”? WHAT
A lot of you are being a bit dense and nobody is saying she deserves it here or at least I’m not defending that but loads of you are policing what people say unless it’s ‘omg I feel so bad for her’ that’s not what this thread is for so YES you are being dramatic. Olivia shouldn’t be joking about cancer because people are actually dealing with severe stages of it from sunbeds and life humbles you very quickly and that’s a fact. If that’s not empathetic enough for you you can simply log off.
The girl makes racks off of being skinny pretty talking about sun beds and the roster of boys she’s on. No I don’t have to be crying for her about her cancer, least she can do is use her platform for better cause for once x

Reactions: 12
People saying she “promoted” sunbeds 😂 I’m pretty sure she acknowledged how bad they were the whole time? And even if she didn’t it’s a well known fact that they’re bad for you, if anyone did a sunbed just because little teenage Olivia Neil from Belfast did I think you’ve got bigger problems 😂 like have your own brain ffs 😂 Google exists 😂

I do think it is a good opportunity for her to properly talk about the dangers of them though, even though it’s not melanoma. Like most people here I can’t believe they’re not banned!

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.