Northern Ireland #23

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Social housing was meant to help provide secure tenure of accommodation at an affordable rent.

Back in the day the majority of people paid their own rent (all be it below private rental costs) and maintained their homes to a reasonable standard.

Then we had the decades of ‘benefit culture’ ‘inherited Tenacy’ and bought properties.
Questions should have been asked as to how someone who never paid a days rent in their life was now able to purchase that property.

My sister went out with a gobshite years ago with multiple properties whilst working a job with a low wage.

Reason why was because he knew lots of people. He would have stepped in when anyone was say moving in with a partner into another state paid for NIHE property and got them to buy the one they were leaving with a wee back hand cash boost. People thought they were elected getting £1000 not seeing the bigger picture that your man now had a property for 7 or 8 grand he was putting on the private rental market. He owned dozens about Omagh & Fermanagh as a result.

Purchased property has now been sold on so much that it’s ridiculous prices even for a first time buyer. Most owned by people who know they will get the rent paid by DHSS tenants!
Yeah, I mean I know my parents bought their home through right to buy and I benefit from that but I fail to see the need for ‘inherited’ type things if it is someone who is working and able to pay rent themselves when there could be someone in dire need of a home. I feel hypocritical saying this as I know I will benefit but clearly the original policy wasn’t thought though. I think there needs to be more social housing to support people who need it. I do feel for the person who got kicked out after the bereavement though, surely you should get 6 months or something to be able to adjust etc.

Reactions: 1
Point 2 of rant regarding housing

Housing benefit to private landlords/NIHE, repairs, maintenance, replacement dwellings, bonfire safeguards & damage etc all come out of the same pot.

The NIHE also wasted a huge amount of money over the years with no proper Investment into new stock or replacing homes that had been bought.

There is still plenty of dole drops, under occupied properties, second homes & properties being sublet!
People who have never worked or paid a days rent in their lives thinking the world owes them a living and they are entitled to x y & z. With a next generation being reared the same way!

Due to all this costs of buying your NIHE home had rocked.
For those that have paid rent on it for years out of their own earnings it is not achievable!

Then you come pension age and any even meagre pension means you get no help with rent or rates because you worked!
So you are still paying rent later! It’s a disgrace when the work shy have a home provided for free their whole lifetime!

There really should be some sort of scheme put in place that those who have worked and paid NIHE should have their rent halted after a certain number of years to ‘have their day’ in that property with no automatic rights to a tenancy succession!

Reactions: 4

Housing benefit to private landlords/NIHE, repairs, maintenance, replacement dwellings, bonfire safeguards & damage etc all come out of the same pot.

The NIHE also wasted a huge amount of money over the years with no proper Investment into new stock or replacing homes that had been bought.

There is still plenty of dole drops, under occupied properties, second homes & properties being sublet!
People who have never worked or paid a days rent in their lives thinking the world owes them a living and they are entitled to x y & z. With a next generation being reared the same way!

For those that have paid rent on it for years out of their own earnings it is not achievable!

Then you come pension age and any even meagre pension means you get no help with rent or rates because you worked!
So you are still paying rent later! It’s a disgrace when the work shy have a home provided for free their whole lifetime!

There really should be some sort of scheme put in place that those who have worked and paid NIHE should have their rent halted after a certain number of years to ‘have their day’ in that property with no automatic rights to a tenancy succession!
I knew someone over 20 years ago who got a council house when she was 16 based on diabetes. She was fine on a night out drinking blue wkd though. 😂

Yeah, I mean I know my parents bought their home through right to buy and I benefit from that but I fail to see the need for ‘inherited’ type things if it is someone who is working and able to pay rent themselves when there could be someone in dire need of a home. I feel hypocritical saying this as I know I will benefit but clearly the original policy wasn’t thought though. I think there needs to be more social housing to support people who need it. I do feel for the person who got kicked out after the bereavement though, surely you should get 6 months or something to be able to adjust etc.
Not hypocrisy at all, if your parents worked hard and took the opportunity of right to buy then they were fully entitled too.
They also most likely have continued to live in that property for a number of years and financed any maintenance or improvements and therefore added value to it.

The discounts was massive years ago which was also more substantial when you take into account the current market value!
Discounts are now capped at a much lower rate and the market values are ridiculous considering that most NIHE home will have had no substantial improvements or maintenance.

See, that I feel sorry cause the guys mind was for the parent and not paperwork. for the first one the house was a squalor according to the neighbour and rarely saw the daughter (very much a curtain twitcher lol) but maybe had got her name on the tenancy as the paltry amount to be paid was like an insurance. but the second one the folks are doing everything for the nearing middle aged child - and go on about how other adult kids are in successful jobs while living at home - certain on one is not declared as they seem to chat and complain about having to pay cause of their SP and gossip about the neighbours benefits and tit though they can be bare faced liars - they also know a few in HE so that probably will help that kid after their death - NIHE was created to be fair yet many are committing outright fraud while so many others suffer.

I'm ranting
Probably used as a dole drop or something? There’s lots of people split the kids to get a property each whilst still living together, fraud everywhere, also the lack of disabled and one bedroom properties prevent older folk from downsizing so they’re stuck in unmanageable situations.

Reactions: 2

My OH said back in mid 90's he and the kids were talking what they wanted to do workwise, he said that a girl at 13/14 said she was gonna get knocked up to get a house - that mindset was built in with some kids. Back then DLA was piss easy too, just needed to bring the form down to SF and they would fill out and get ones to go to their dr to claim depression and off the form went. My dad used to work all the overtime he could to pass something on to us but the nursing home has taken most it.

Not hypocrisy at all, if your parents worked hard and took the opportunity of right to buy then they were fully entitled too.
They also most likely have continued to live in that property for a number of years and financed any maintenance or improvements and therefore added value to it.

The discounts was massive years ago which was also more substantial when you take into account the current market value!
Discounts are now capped at a much lower rate and the market values are ridiculous considering that most NIHE home will have had no substantial improvements or maintenance.
I saw HE homes on the news where they still had concrete drain and suffering damp and mould yet others in the last 10 years have had new windows, doors, drainage, insulation, new central heating, I don't get how some are fully fixed when others aren't getting a single thing done to them :/

Apparently you get two weeks to clear the property.
---

Yip! I had older relatives that worked all their lives never got a penny towards anything because they had a civil service pension, I heard a man giving off in the post office one day about how much he has to hand out of his private pension when others that never worked a day in their lives get it handed to them for free.
---
Jesus they must think this is London where they shop in Tescos for free 🙄

Last edited:
Apparently you get two weeks to clear the property.
---

Yip! I had older relatives that worked all their lives never got a penny towards anything because they had a civil service pension, I heard a man giving off in the post office one day about how much he has to hand out of his private pension when others that never worked a day in their lives get it handed to them for free.
---
Jesus they must think this is London where they shop in Tescos for free 🙄
2 weeks is shocking. As much as I don’t think someone who has the means to secure private rental or buy shouldn’t be in a HE house ffs that is cruel, like I said I think 6 months is reasonable due to the grieving process and to give them time to secure something decent.

Reactions: 3
I have also witnessed with my own two eyes that even if they had been given a year they just wouldn’t have bothered. 😕

Wee man near us passed away, adult kids didn’t come near him unless they were looking something.
The day of his funeral they walked out that evening with a small box of obviously the most valuable things and posted the keys back through the letterbox for the NIHE to sort!
All the neighbours were disgusted he was a lovely wee man. One of the sons was a pastor and what he did in life and death spoke volumes.

A month or two later the NIHE arrived with a flat bed truck and started to just dump everything from the house into it. There was pictures and wee bits he obviously treasured all those years like crockery just lying about or broken everywhere then shovelled onto a lorry.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I have also witnessed with my own two eyes that even if they had been given a year they just wouldn’t have bothered. 😕

Wee man near us passed away, adult kids didn’t come near him unless they were looking something.
The day of his funeral they walked out that evening with a small box of obviously the most valuable things and posted the keys back through the letterbox for the NIHE to sort!
All the neighbours were disgusted he was a lovely wee man. One of the sons was a pastor and what he did in life and death spoke volumes.

A month or two later the NIHE arrived with a flat bed truck and started to just dump everything from the house into it. There was pictures and wee bits he obviously treasured all those years like crockery just lying about or broken everywhere then shovelled onto a lorry.
That’s awful. I know someone not NIHE related but when the mum died a family member who had never bothered came in and stole all the jewellery. It wouldn’t have amounted to much but was of more sentimental value to other family members but it was more the principle. Scumbags everywhere. I would wear a piece of cheap jewellery if it had been gifted in love by a family member but would never think of going in an ransacking the place.

Reactions: 2
I’ve no idea who this person is or even what party she is on about but she is right. Putting on a good spread is ingrained in me. Butterfly buns are my personal fave.

On a different planet

---
Bet she’s sorry she gave away her seat

Last edited:
He looks like he’s had another facelift
He looks different than the other day though😂
---
Genuine question. Given that Sinn Fein MPs don’t take their seats can they do actual constituency work or is it just a massive grift? (Bearing in mind I think most politicians are grifters but if they don’t do any work then they are going for it)

• Haha
Reactions: 3
It’s the dementia! Look at people affected by it and you’ll see the similarities…Unless they’ve replaced him with one of those Chinese manufactured robots 😂
---
Have you seen the vid of Hunter dragging a woman into a hotel room after she tried to escape him 😕
---

---
---
Genuine question. Given that Sinn Fein MPs don’t take their seats can they do actual constituency work or is it just a massive grift? (Bearing in mind I think most politicians are grifters but if they don’t do any work then they are going for it)
They do exactly like the other parties only don’t sit in Westminster…If you can call that work 😂

Last edited: