Northern Ireland #2 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@monga posted this on the Derry Girl’s thread and I am wondering if the peace agreement is at threat due to Brexit or sectarian tensions or both?

Reactions: 1
@monga posted this on the Derry Girl’s thread and I am wondering if the peace agreement is at threat due to Brexit or sectarian tensions or both?
Yes it is ,Biden has even said the UK -US trade deal hinges on them honouring the GFA .

Yes it is ,Biden has even said the UK -US trade deal hinges on them honouring the GFA .
Bloody hell! Correct me if it’s wrong but is the issue because goods coming from the mainland to Northern Ireland can’t go the EU unless checked due to Brexit but that would stop the flow of goods from NI to the Republic and that would damage the GFA? I’m a little bit confused and things with Brexit seem to frazzle my mind.

Bloody hell! Correct me if it’s wrong but is the issue because goods coming from the mainland to Northern Ireland can’t go the EU unless checked due to Brexit but that would stop the flow of goods from NI to the Republic and that would damage the GFA? I’m a little bit confused and things with Brexit seem to frazzle my mind.
The GFA deals with human rights and Peace and reconciliation signed by both the British and Irish governments there's certain things written into it involving the EU and the European court of human rights involvement in NI ,it's nothing to do with trade as such although no landborder is part of it for free trade throughout the Island.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
The GFA deals with human rights and Peace and reconciliation signed by both the British and Irish governments there's certain things written into it involving the EU and the European court of human rights involvement in NI ,it's nothing to do with trade as such although no landborder is part of it for free trade throughout the Island.

Oh I see! When ive seen this mentioned on BBC news it’s been focused on this being a trade issue, I didn’t realise about European court of human rights etc

Oh I see! When ive seen this mentioned on BBC news it’s been focused on this being a trade issue, I didn’t realise about European court of human rights etc
NI is still in the free market atm ,they want to change that so goods don't have to be checked between UK and NI but as Southern Ireland is part of the EU there's certain checks will have to be made if the north is taken out of the free market like the rest of the UK ,it's really complicated they don't know half of what they've signed up for themselves...It's the European courts of Justice deal with the trade issues they won't have a say on trade if Boris changes the conditions of the treaty the European Courts of human rights won't have as much leverage in NI either but that's seperate from the trade wars.

Does anyone here agree and support goods from the rest of the U.K. being checked to enter Northern Ireland? Curious as I don’t support it, so would like to hear other views and understand them more.

There have been proposals that NI could carry out checks for goods being forwarded on to ROI. I don’t see why anyone would support it especially as it will increase costs even further due to all the additional work involved. It’s well and truly a tit show!

Reactions: 4
Does anyone here agree and support goods from the rest of the U.K. being checked to enter Northern Ireland? Curious as I don’t support it, so would like to hear other views and understand them more.

There have been proposals that NI could carry out checks for goods being forwarded on to ROI. I don’t see why anyone would support it especially as it will increase costs even further due to all the additional work involved. It’s well and truly a tit show!
No. I think Brexit was a mistake anyway it's beset with problems .

Reactions: 2
No. I think Brexit was a mistake anyway it's beset with problems .
It could all be solved by rejoining the EU 😜 #think32

I wish for once the people who were so adamant about how wonderful Brexit would be could admit how wrong they were. What was it Theresa May said? “Brexit will be fatal for the union”. Protocol aside everything about Brexit was based on a lie and instead of getting angry with the people that sold them that lie, people are annoyed at the EU. We were told how much money the UK sends to the EU, how all that extra money would benefit people and yet here we are with record inflation and a cost of living crisis that’s only going to get worse. Same paper, same subject, one story from 2916 the other from 2022.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.