Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I need to rein it in more next month!! (Even though I started this thread with all my good intentions in April I went a bit shopping happy and treated myself to a couple of pairs of jeans 😧 and some bits in primark this month.) let’s get back on it in June! x

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Keet

Chatty Member
Ok. I am failing miserably. Ive been out 3 Times this week 1 seeing a friend on bank holiday at the seaside. 1 time on a date (luckily he paid) but still train fare into London etc then went back into London to see another friend today. Ended up spending 45 in a restaurant and I’m still hungry 😅😪😪, train fare not even included so I spent about £60 being out side of my house. Today alone 🥺🥺🥺
Don’t beat yourself up. This past year has been tough on everyone missing out on opportunities too see people like this. Write it off and start again ☺

• Heart

Marcinabolan

February has been a disaster, once you buy one thing it just snowballs!! Im getting back on it before pay day on Friday, as I don’t NEED anything. Ive unfollowed loads of Insta pages that tempt me and need to be deinfluenced, as I'm a sucker for nice skincare.

I fell off during June! I went out and ate so so much last month catching up with friends baby shower etc. Anyway I’m back again for July 🎉🎉 and trying to make it a “low spend” rather than no spend I think.

GlassOfBeans

Chatty Member
I’m here but I need my hand holding and some accountability otherwise I’m going to crack haha! I’ve got a few days out that are coming up that I’ve already paid for so other than that I’m going to try to only spend on my food shop… 😮💨😮💨😮💨

• Heart

Idntknow

Ok. I am failing miserably. Ive been out 3 Times this week 1 seeing a friend on bank holiday at the seaside. 1 time on a date (luckily he paid) but still train fare into London etc then went back into London to see another friend today. Ended up spending 45 in a restaurant and I’m still hungry 😅😪😪, train fare not even included so I spent about £60 being out side of my house. Today alone 🥺🥺🥺
Dont beat yourself up, i set my rules to include experiences, like to me theres no joy in sitting alone in my house so i dont include commuting to see people (i drive so its petrol) but where i can i just do a packed lunch/snacks….dnt think thatd work on a date tho😂. My rules are no non essentials or beauty treatments i can do myself and no extra make up and skin care only replacements, and no clothes or shoes (I definitely have more than enough)
For me I wanna change my spending habits and I don’t think going cold turkey would be the right thing just making adaptations to how I live my life, i have had 3 days no spend so far (on the 1st i got flowers for my mums bday so its still a no spend kinda)
Oh ive just realised today has been another no spend so 4 days 🥳

• Heart

hypoharpy

My Amazon /eBay habit needs curbing.If I like something I put it in the wish list and can pick 1 item at the end of the month. It's working so far. When I go to Primark I'm going to start doing a list instead of buying randomly.

I thought I would post to reopen this thread. I’m going to try and embark on a no spend month (ideally would love a year, but have to be realistic). Has anyone managed to achieve it? Any tips would be helpful 👍🏼
I'd like to give it a go for the month of October, probably take it week by week.

Are we having any rules about what is allowed spending?

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
I'm doing ok so far. All i've spent is £30 on petrol.
Needed a new hair dryer cos my old one just died, and bought it on husbands prime account 😜

Need to go out tomorrow for stuff for the pets and some bread and some other bits. Will be a challenge not picking up bits I don't really need in home bargains!

Need to plan out my teas for this week cos I'm on twilight's and I'm always bad for popping into Aldi on my way in for treats.

I'm doing ok so far. All i've spent is £30 on petrol.
Needed a new hair dryer cos my old one just died, and bought it on husbands prime account 😜

Need to go out tomorrow for stuff for the pets and some bread and some other bits. Will be a challenge not picking up bits I don't really need in home bargains!

Need to plan out my teas for this week cos I'm on twilight's and I'm always bad for popping into Aldi on my way in for treats.
Just realise how this sounds. Only on day 7🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Last edited:

Grizzlybear

VIP Member
I think if it’s an essential then that’s fine, it’s more absent minded spending on things you don’t need - like takeaways (🙄) or popping into a shop to get a sandwich or something. I wouldn’t beat myself up about buying cat food, for example, because it’s essential. I’ve made a list of essentials and non-essentials and as long as there’s no or little spending in the non-essential department then I’m doing alright. Hope that helps somebody.
I think that’s the best approach!

• Heart

Keet

Chatty Member
I was a bit naughty and bought 2 reduced frames when doing my Tesco shop for £6. In the process of some decorating and not quite at the “dressing stage though”.
I’ve stuck to bringing lunch to work and continuing to use up food from the cupboards.

How’s everyone getting on?
Good. Not bought any unnecessary stuff from Amazon! No takeaways and refusing to go food shopping until we actually have no food 😂 Don't know about anyone else but we say we NEED to go shopping when we actually have stuff in to make meals!

I have bought some bits for my son's birthday - but that is necessary. I have, however, decided to start buying things I see cheap/on offer/reduced ready for Christmas but they have to be real bargains!

Good luck everyone. 👍

JustmeKC

VIP Member
I wish I could be strict! I feel like I just need to treat myself all the time and the only time I don’t is when I have no money left which is usually about 2 weeks before I get paid. It’s so stressful!
I used to be like this, then I gradually had a word with myself and worked on making me happier instead of relying on things to give me happiness. I used to treat myself everytime I had a bad day, or an argument with a particular family member etc. I’m not saying it’s the same for you, but maybe think about what triggers you to need the treats?

The other side of the coin is that if you can afford it, are not building up debt etc then it’s hardly the worst thing you could be doing. And there’s always a return option :)

• Heart

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Oh hell. I need to do this. I have started getting things delivered to work so my husband stops asking me what I've ordered now 🙈

• Haha

tspnwn

I'm gonna try really hard to do a No-Spend-November (minus absolute essentials like rent, bills, food). I've started a new job which is only a year's contract and is the highest paid I've ever had, really want to make the most of saving as much as I can in this time! Was just posting to see if anyone else was considering so we could all try to keep each other accountable/support x

Magee

VIP Member
Does anyone know of any good sites to sell on books? This thread has inspired me to declutter and make a bit of money where I can. I’ve tried zapper but their return isn’t great
I did this years ago on music magpie, I got about £50 for books, CDs DVDs. Per item it wasn’t much but together it was a nice amount! It’s easy too, you download an app and scan the barcode on the item, it automatically uploads the details and gives you an instant price. They send you a box free post delivery to send off, was pretty easy.

I’ve not been great this month, first 9 days I didn’t spend a penny then slowly but surely here and there with life getting back to normal I’ve slipped in to buying unnecessarily. I’m not going to punish myself for it, waited months to see people so I’m going to enjoy the coffee with friends etc.

Next month I am going away for a week so I might do a no spend month except the week away to keep me focused. What I’m really bad at is, just because I have an excuse like a week away or someone’s birthday, the rest of the month is a write off! I need to change that mentality. One spendy week doesn’t allow me to nip in B&M or browse H&M for stuff I don’t need!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2