Nikki Grahame of big brother fame passes away aged 38.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Imagen Thomas must have been really upset to have posted that, she quietly posted a tribute to Nikki and not much since.

Pete has responded.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I watched NG's "funny" moments and was actually thinking that they are not that funny after all.

Yes, she is very much herself and authentic, but at the same time it is very clear that she is often controlled and overwhelmed by her emotions.
She is very much in her body - her shaking, jumping and her way of screaming when she is frustrated - and you can read her emotions on her face, but this is also very childlike.

It seems that she often reacts like a child, like a 4 or 5 year old maybe? and that she often does not react from an adult place.

I am not a psychologist but I wonder if she is somehow reverting back to a child version of herself when feeling sad / frustrated / overwhelmed.

Maybe she experience some trauma at a young age, which might also explain why she developed a serious eating disorder at such a young age.

She was in clinics a lot and it is sad that she did not heal from it.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I watched NG's "funny" moments and was actually thinking that they are not that funny after all.

Yes, she is very much herself and authentic, but at the same time it is very clear that she is often controlled and overwhelmed by her emotions.
She is very much in her body - her shaking, jumping and her way of screaming when she is frustrated - and you can read her emotions on her face, but this is also very childlike.

It seems that she often reacts like a child, like a 4 or 5 year old maybe? and that she often does not react from an adult place.

I am not a psychologist but I wonder if she is somehow reverting back to a child version of herself when feeling sad / frustrated / overwhelmed.

Maybe she experience some trauma at a young age, which might also explain why she developed a serious eating disorder at such a young age.

She was in clinics a lot and it is sad that she did not heal from it.
Her parents got divorced which I’ve read set off her eating problems and I don’t think she went through puberty which would of caused problems mentally and physically for her.
Her mum has blamed the NHS, is she right do we think? I don’t know how eating disorder treatments work when it’s this bad but should they have discharged her like that?

Reactions: 3
Her parents got divorced which I’ve read set off her eating problems and I don’t think she went through puberty which would of caused problems mentally and physically for her.
Her mum has blamed the NHS, is she right do we think? I don’t know how eating disorder treatments work when it’s this bad but should they have discharged her like that?
it’s difficult one, once she’s medically stable yes, you can be discharged at 3, 4, 5 stone. To keep someone past that point (medically stable) you need the input of a psych team, but she was about to enter treatment, so they wouldn’t have assessed her in a general hospital, plus she was already living in a different catchment area to Devon.
so basically, they were right to discharge her. But it’s fucked up.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Her body didn't develop during puberty because of her illness but I'm not qualified to say whether that would have emotional or psychological consequences in terms of development. It is interesting and also terribly terribly sad for Nikki.
I felt that she was mature and a very good communicator, sometimes I think the persona on BB was just for the cameras, I think she had a background in acting.

Reactions: 2
Id believe him over imogen any day
both as bad as each other.

Her body didn't develop during puberty because of her illness but I'm not qualified to say whether that would have emotional or psychological consequences in terms of development. It is interesting and also terribly terribly sad for Nikki.
I felt that she was mature and a very good communicator, sometimes I think the persona on BB was just for the cameras, I think she had a background in acting.
she learned how to throw tantrums from others on the adolescent psych ward.
and used it when necessary.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
it’s difficult one, once she’s medically stable yes, you can be discharged at 3, 4, 5 stone. To keep someone past that point (medically stable) you need the input of a psych team, but she was about to enter treatment, so they wouldn’t have assessed her in a general hospital, plus she was already living in a different catchment area to Devon.
so basically, they were right to discharge her. But it’s fucked up.
Is it unusual that she died so suddenly after release. Could she have been medically fit for discharge and then her body just gave out? I don't know very much about eating disorders and what I do know is possibly outdated.

Reactions: 1
Is it unusual that she died so suddenly after release. Could she have been medically fit for discharge and then her body just gave out? I don't know very much about eating disorders and what I do know is possibly outdated.
It could have happened at any second.
I’d say she was medically fit, but that can change in a heartbeat, she traveled back to London and her body/heart couldn’t take it I assume. The fact she was falling so much shows how weak she’d got. It’s just so tragic.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
It could have happened at any second.
I’d say she was medically fit, but that can change in a heartbeat, she traveled back to London and her body/heart couldn’t take it I assume. The fact she was falling so much shows how weak she’d got. It’s just so tragic.
It really is tragic. With a case like this I'm sure the medical team are asking themselves the same questions. From what I've gathered treatment for anorexia nervosa has changed an awful lot in the last few years. I think the physical interventions aren't common any more and also in Nikkis case she may not have been strong enough for those treatments.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
It really is tragic. With a case like this I'm sure the medical team are asking themselves the same questions. From what I've gathered treatment for anorexia nervosa has changed an awful lot in the last few years. I think the physical interventions aren't common any more and also in Nikkis case she may not have been strong enough for those treatments.
there’s not much you can do in way of physical intervention, especially here, she wasn’t refusing treatment, it wasn’t necessary to tube feed her, she wasn’t refusing medical examinations, she just died like most anorexics will if they’ve struggled this long, their body gives in. Their heart muscle is destroyed.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I don't know if not going through puberty has effects on the psychological state - but if hormones etc are affected then in my view it would be likely.

If her eating disorder was triggered by her parents divorce when she was 7 or 8 then I would imagine she suffered some kind of trauma at this age.

I wonder if she had psychological treatment, a counsellor that was with her for many years, as these things take ages to heal.

I see this behaviour in other people and also observed this in myself - when I felt rejected I used to revert back to childlike behaviour (sulking, cutting contact, overreacting in general) and this was because of attachment trauma and having been ignored frequently as a child.

when I now see clips of Nikki reacting / acting like this I feel sad - yes, it is entertaining to watch, but it is also obvious that she was not a healthy and functioning adult.

I don't know if the NHS did everything they could have and should have done, however, why didn't the Big Brother team do anything? When she got out and got boo'ed it was obvious that she was overwhelmed.
Did they give her support?

It reminds me of Love Island - didn't several contesters take their own life?

Reactions: 6
I would have thought she would have been tube fed. My brother was told he would either voluntarily agree to be tube fed or they’d have to section him so Nikki being at such a low weight id have thought they’d have done the same.

It’s really sad having learnt more about her life since her death her tantrums in BB were obviously not put on for entertainment, they came from a place of having grown up pretty much in secure units.

I saw an interview she did with a psychologist for the programme ‘Nikki In Therapy’ and she was so eloquently spoken and very self-aware. The psychologist said that Nikki reverts back to age 8 because that’s the age her eating disorder started, and that’s the point she lost her childhood.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I would have thought she would have been tube fed. My brother was told he would either voluntarily agree to be tube fed or they’d have to section him so Nikki being at such a low weight id have thought they’d have done the same.
Hi gastro Doctor here. I deal with a lot of ED patients in Ireland and you can’t tube feed someone just because they need it - here at least, unsure about UK but I’d imagine it’s fairly similar. It’s incredibly difficult to get done. The patient needs to be made a ward of court / paper signed that says they can’t make their own decisions. That has to be co-decided by an independent doctor and two psychologists. The family also have to agree. That process alone can take weeks.

Then there’s a chance that doesn’t work, patients who don’t want to eat are extremely savvy at getting the food out. This in turn breaks down their relationship with the medical team and their families and the outcome can be worse than not doing it at all.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
it doesn’t work that way, going by what has been reported she was gaining weight when in hospital/treatment. She wasn’t refusing treatment, she was orally accepting fluids and nutrition, yes her weight was low but once the medical side of things are stable they have no need to for any type of treatment on a person without consent. She was fully aware of what was going on and seeking help so there was no need to section, she wanted a bed, not to leave.

she was 5 stone and 5 foot 1, so yes it’s low but she’s at a good weight to enter a treatment programme and go from there. There was no need to keep her on a medical ward, unfortunately the damage will have been done after so many years of restrictions. It’s just tit she didn’t get another chance to make things better, but my personal opinion is when you’re on this roundabout for so long, it won’t ever end well. It never goes away

Reactions: 4
it doesn’t work that way, going by what has been reported she was gaining weight when in hospital/treatment. She wasn’t refusing treatment, she was orally accepting fluids and nutrition, yes her weight was low but once the medical side of things are stable they have no need to for any type of treatment on a person without consent. She was fully aware of what was going on and seeking help so there was no need to section, she wanted a bed, not to leave.

she was 5 stone and 5 foot 1, so yes it’s low but she’s at a good weight to enter a treatment programme and go from there. There was no need to keep her on a medical ward, unfortunately the damage will have been done after so many years of restrictions. It’s just tit she didn’t get another chance to make things better, but my personal opinion is when you’re on this roundabout for so long, it won’t ever end well. It never goes away
I'm a bit sceptical about this 5 stone at 5 foot 1 claim. Her BMI was ~9-10 when she went into hospital so she would have had to have gained a lot of weight in three weeks.