Nikki Grahame of big brother fame passes away aged 38.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i reckon they knew she'd win and felt threatened so voted her out as they were all there for the money unlike nikki who was there for herself and it showed in her time there
She seemed to cram so much into the time she was there. The clip where she was talking to Vanessa Feltz in the ultimate BB was so sad too. She seemed so genuine and open. She was definitely a one-off ❤

Reactions: 10
The point that makes me angry, and isn't really emphasised in the reports, is the mess that the MH Bed System is and how it contributed to her death.

Nikki had a place on an ED unit right before she died - but because she was too weak to climb stairs, they refused to accept her, and she was SENT HOME, where she died overnight. Now her body may have been too far gone to change that outcome, I don't know. But if she'd been in a hospital, someone would have been checking up on her, and there's a chance she might have been revived.

How can someone be TOO SICK for a mental health unit, but well enough to GO HOME?

Reactions: 15
The point that makes me angry, and isn't really emphasised in the reports, is the mess that the MH Bed System is and how it contributed to her death.

Nikki had a place on an ED unit right before she died - but because she was too weak to climb stairs, they refused to accept her, and she was SENT HOME, where she died overnight. Now her body may have been too far gone to change that outcome, I don't know. But if she'd been in a hospital, someone would have been checking up on her, and there's a chance she might have been revived.

How can someone be TOO SICK for a mental health unit, but well enough to GO HOME?
Yeah I thought this about the doc. Made me so angry. She had also been accepted to go to the place in Africa Mandy found for her, so why couldn't she just stay were she was? They obviously thought she was ill enough for help, but over here they didn't think so? Made no sense that they sent her home.

Reactions: 4
It's so tragic. The mental health services in this country are not fit for purpose, and Nikki is one of the countless sufferers who've died as a result.

This diagram sums it up with painful accuracy:
1649597031010.png

It's all very well having 'mental heath awareness' campaigns but the services need proper funding to be able to offer adequate support.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
How the system works is an odd one. Plus for ED they unfortunately can't force a person either. They do prefer to treat in the community as it means they are facing their usual struggles at the same times as a recovery which means their chance of rebound is less. Those that are in institutions tend to come home and feel very stressed and resort to their coping mechanisms. For someone to be admitted in the UK their BMI has to be less than 13 and be at a crisis point. That's where we got with my sister. A year of a decline even with online support through lockdown. I had to plead with someone to actually see how bad she looked and it was only when I stayed with my sister after she threatened to kill herself, even getting a knife while I was in the house to try and hurt herself that they intervened. She was admitted for NGTube prior to a bed coming up. The problem is the whole service is not fit for purpose. There isn't the facilities, there isn't the staff, there are minimal resources within this country. For someone like Nikki who had been in and out of institutions her whole life it is unfortunately an almost guarantee that she would die of an ED.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I wonder if Nikki was aware of how sick she was, or whether the illness had taken over and she still felt she needed to lose weight. Surely she could feel it in her body and see it when she looked at herself.

Reactions: 3
How the system works is an odd one. Plus for ED they unfortunately can't force a person either.
They absolutely can section someone under the MH act if they are as unwell as Nikki was and are refusing to be treated. It is preferable to get someone to consent to treatment and attend voluntarily, but the right to deprive someone of their liberty and force them to undergo treatment is absolutely applicable to people with severe, life-threatening eating disorders.

Reactions: 4
I feel terrible asking this but did her body just give up in the end?
I can’t get my head around her being allowed out of the hospital.

Reactions: 1
I read an article where her mum says they actually did get Nikki sectioned in the end. It beggars belief that she was then discharged and not put on a longer section.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
They absolutely can section someone under the MH act if they are as unwell as Nikki was and are refusing to be treated. It is preferable to get someone to consent to treatment and attend voluntarily, but the right to deprive someone of their liberty and force them to undergo treatment is absolutely applicable to people with severe, life-threatening eating disorders.
Depending on where you are in the UK it's very hard to get someone sectioned ,especially if they've got an addiction contributing to an ED.

I feel terrible asking this but did her body just give up in the end?
I can’t get my head around her being allowed out of the hospital.
Yeah she would've gone into cardiac arrest or organ failure through malnutrician :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
I think she was aware as she agreed to have photos taken for the fundraiser. she said in the documentary that a part of her felt like she shouldn't have gone to hospital as she "could have succeeded" (I understood this as having succeeded in disappearing, in dying).

In one of the counselling sessions they showed in the show she also said that her anorexia was like a friend watching out for her or something like this

• Sad
i reckon they knew she'd win and felt threatened so voted her out as they were all there for the money unlike nikki who was there for herself and it showed in her time there
IIRC all housemates were up for eviction that week and as Nikki was quite the 'personality' and marmite to some she was evicted. BB panicked and few weeks later let viewers vote someone back in (Nikki). This is how I remember it...

Reactions: 7
IIRC all housemates were up for eviction that week and as Nikki was quite the 'personality' and marmite to some she was evicted. BB panicked and few weeks later let viewers vote someone back in (Nikki). This is how I remember it...
Yes I remember they voted out all the good characters early on and the producers realised how it had killed the series, so they engineered a vote to get them back in! There was Grace, Mikey, Leah and Nikki if I remember correctly. Then the housemates had to choose which housemate to keep - they chose Nikki

Reactions: 6
Yep that’s it! I think she stayed in quite long but there were just so many housemates that year.

Reactions: 1
I remember watching nikki on BB when I was a teenager, and being irrationally jealous of her as I thought she had a lovely figure, a fun life etc. Just goes to show what people are going through IRL and how it's portrayed. Knowing what I know now, i wouldn't wish her pain on anyone.

Reactions: 14
She would’ve been 40 today a milestone birthday that she never got to celebrate 🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I see her mum may sue the hospital and they’ve released a statement denying any wrong doing, I’m surprised they made details about her condition/ care public where I live the only thing they say is they don’t comment on individual cases .

Last edited: