Nicola Bulley #15

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone read the book Unnatural Causes. I found it fascinating what they could tell from a body once it had passed
Just finished it a few weeks back, on audiobook, it's fascinating isn't it? And he seems like such a good man. It was so interesting that I got tons of housework done as I kept making excuses to put my earbuds in and listen to more.

Okay, I've never used the spoiler thing before but hope it works. Thought I'd share this in response to @Capri 's last post on thread 14.

I've shared the link above as these are not tips, it would be immensely painful before the calm. Please remember that you are always worthwhile and you matter, no matter how you feel 💖💖

If someone were to choose to enter the water and hold their breath (which many kids do for fun at their local pool, innocently, to see how long they can do it for), there comes a point where the body makes an involuntary gasp for air. If you've ever held your breath for a bit too long, you may have panicked a little while swimming back to the top - started to feel a bit dizzy or nauseous because you were starved of oxygen and heading to pass out.

If you are holding your breath (intentionally or not) and sinking deeper, as in, not trying to swim to the top or you are struggling to reach the top (caught in something or have something weighing you down) that gasp will be in the deep water and you will not make it back up to the top. Your body will breathe in the water surrounding you water, no one will hear you and you will quickly become unconscious.

It's why if people are rescued from a pool, they vomit up amounts of water before they breath again. It's so important to be rescued as soon as anyone notices you starting to sink down to prevent brain damage, blood pressure spikes, heart attacks etc. That's why I shared the best colours for a lifeguard to be able to see a person underwater.

I hope this wasn't insensitive and was just factual. Drowning is quiet. A river is not a pool, it's moving, unregulated temp, it's not transparent, it's full of debris, all sorts of currents within those waters too 😔

I know I'm stating the obvious, I just think everyone is in disbelief of how this can happen after so much time has passed? Unfortunately, it was the outcome which made the most sense. I was really hoping she was cosy in a cottage somewhere, regrouping.

Maybe we will never know why Nicola was in the water, was it on purpose? Was she trying cold water shock therapy? Was it a medical issue or an accident? I'm not sure if any of that will bring her family peace but I just can't stop thinking about them and hope if this is Nicola, they get the privacy, time and respect they deserve to process 💖
Thank you for this information. I do the Wim Hof method and have started ice baths. I'm hyper vigilant, even in the safety of my own garden - it's just too easy to get dizzy or discombobulated and get into difficulty.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Christ, I didn't know this, my eldest has a pale turquoise cossie at the mo.... will be replacing with bright pink or purple asap!
I know it’s astounding isn’t it?
This should be made into a poster and on the wall of every swimming pool.
People need to be aware.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Could everyone just take a pause from posting, just so we can all think for two minutes or so that there for the grace of God go I, and if this is not Nicola then it's someone's loved one who will never come home ❤❤🙏 xx

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Yes, I think he said that too. Meaning divers would have found her. I'm speculating she didn't enter the water there or he's been wrong about that. We must also account for environmental factors in that location that divers and sonar couldn't see.
Personally I’m going with ‘wrong’.

Reactions: 7
Do you happen to have the colours handy? It was so helpful and would be good for the wiki x
I'll reshare the post with the image, if that helps @InTheDollsHouse ?

Bright neon reds, pinks and oranges are what we are advised is the clearest.

Also, please don't, but if any of you go do choose to wild water swimming in summer months, make everyone wear a suitably sized lifejacket regardless of swimming ability. They only exist to keep your head and shoulders above water in case you do become unconscious.

Anyone who buys a swimseats for babies - bin them - dangerous and easily tip over. Plus your little one is mostly out of the pool water, getting cold. It can take only 10 seconds for a baby to drown. Just hold them under the oxters with both of your hands, you're fully in control and they will be safe and happy.

If you are playing with your kids and chucking them up and down, under and out of the water quickly. Don't, this causes secondary drowning which happens later after they have left the pool.

Sorry for ranting about water safety again. Water shouldn't be underestimated, just respected. and swimming is a vital life skill. If you've never learned to swim, do it. It's never too late. And please make sure you kids do it too if possible. In a perfect world it would be a part of the curriculum in schools.

This was my first post on this thread about drowning prevention training and misconceptions:

Hope you are all doing okay, big hugs xxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Just finished it a few weeks back, on audiobook, it's fascinating isn't it? And he seems like such a good man. It was so interesting that I got tons of housework done as I kept making excuses to put my earbuds in and listen to more.

Thank you for this information. I do the Wim Hof method and have started ice baths. I'm hyper vigilant, even in the safety of my own garden - it's just too easy to get dizzy or discombobulated and get into difficulty.
When you say Wim Hoff do you mean breathing techniques ?

Reactions: 2

My son-in-law is a professional sportsman. I went into his cool tub. It’s so hard to breathe, let alone speak.
It really catches your breathing.. I was breathing so fast. You have to concentrate so hard.

Reactions: 12
Personally I’m going with ‘wrong’.
Same. Sure he the miniature action man had his mind made up before he got there. What an actual plonker
I really hope when everything comes to light on how this was handled that man's conduct is looked at.

Reactions: 10
Is anyone watching sky news? Why does Kay Burley look like she's there against her will or something she's like a robot.

• Angry
Reactions: 9
My son-in-law is a professional sportsman. I went into his cool tub. It’s so hard to breathe, let alone speak.
It really catches your breathing.. I was breathing so fast. You have to concentrate so hard.

I am an open water swimmer (with a group ETA: in the sea - also sorry to the person who is posting swim safety tips. You probably hate me) and it is so easy to lose your breath and start to panic. I feel relatively safe as I am with a group and we only go to chest height but I can't imagine the fear and panic that comes from falling in. It can be horrible enough when you know you're doing it. Sometimes I can't even make it in that far because it is just too cold. Once I start to lose my breath and ability to talk I am straight out.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I am an open water swimmer (with a group - also sorry to the person who is posting swim safety tips. You probably hate me) and it is so easy to lose your breath and start to panic. I feel relatively safe as I am with a group and we only go to chest height but I can't imagine the fear and panic that comes from falling in. It can be horrible enough when you know you're doing it. Sometimes I can't even make it in that far because it is just too cold
A friend of mine open water swims (also in a group) and is there something about only being in the water the same number of minutes as the number of °C it is?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just thinking about her headaches. I wonder if she may have had an anerysm and it wasn’t the HRT at all. 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Yep, breathing techniques - the cold exposure goes along with it, but even just the breathing alone is great for mental health and has helped me a lot. Find it for free on YouTube x
Yes I’ve looked at it before now and I’m happy to try but a few ppl have said thry went incredibly dizzy when first starting the breathing. ( hate dizziness) . I cold shower everyday, I don’t own a bath . Did it take you long to perfect the breathing ?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Same. Sure he the miniature action man had his mind made up before he got there. What an actual plonker
I really hope when everything comes to light on how this was handled that man's conduct is looked at.
I think he thought he would rock up with his super box of tricks and ‘tah-dah’ solved. He didn’t take into account that rivers are all different, especially tidal ones, and can people spend lifetimes studying them and still be flummoxed.

The natural world walks to the beat of its own drum and laughs in the face of a man with a box.

Reactions: 20
I am an open water swimmer (with a group ETA: in the sea - also sorry to the person who is posting swim safety tips. You probably hate me) and it is so easy to lose your breath and start to panic. I feel relatively safe as I am with a group and we only go to chest height but I can't imagine the fear and panic that comes from falling in. It can be horrible enough when you know you're doing it. Sometimes I can't even make it in that far because it is just too cold. Once I start to lose my breath and ability to talk I am straight out.
Yep it’s crazy as soon as you get in how you breathe so quick uncontrollably. I had them with me when I went in, because he was scared I could pass out.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.