New Zealand Influencers #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see it differently. She’s putting up the front of respecting her privacy meanwhile telling us her kid is ND or similar. What’s the difference? She’s said it without saying it. But trying to look like she’s being respectful. She’s trying to have it both ways in essence - I’ve got a child with a diagnosis but I’m respecting her privacy by not telling you. It doesn’t work like that.
Which Katie is this? Hawkey or Thomas,?
---
The discussion around truancy and absenteeism always interests me because I know SO many middle class families that regularly pull their kids out of school to go on holiday or have long weekends, yet lots of people think it’s only lower socioeconomic families that contribute to the truancy figures.
It's definitely a classy if you're rich, trashy if you're poor situation.
---
The discussion around truancy and absenteeism always interests me because I know SO many middle class families that regularly pull their kids out of school to go on holiday or have long weekends, yet lots of people think it’s only lower socioeconomic families that contribute to the truancy figures.
It's definitely a classy if you're rich, trashy if you're poor situation.

Reactions: 10
I wonder if this style of knitting can actually be a long term business investment, who is the target market ?
People who like knitting overpriced ugly items ?
If that's her target market then she's totally sussed! As long as they're skinny though 🙄

Saw this on her grid about someone going up sizes for a slouchy look, she clearly isn't targeting anyone in a larger body. There isn't even any information in her website about what measurements are for each size despite saying in the FAQ that there will be!

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Katies daughters birthday is in Oct (it’s a day before or day after my daughters birthday). We didn’t start her at school until the new school year so she didn’t have 6 weeks of school and then holidays (my daughters “quirk” is that she thrives on structure so keeping her in daycare another 3 months made a much easier school adjustment)
Absolutely same here.
October baby, and my daughter would have hated starting in a room with kids who would have been there for months. We started her day 1 of the school year. All the kids were in the same boat, all learning about where to put their bag and their lunch etc all at the same time.

Reactions: 4
My daughter started half way through the year but was in a room where they were all starting together. Once they felt they were settled enough, some moved into other classrooms. It was ideal for her as she was ready for school. Most new entrants classes only take that cohort so they wouldn’t be in already establish classes. Yes, it doesn’t really matter when you start however kids are entering school knowing less and less these days. Most can’t write their own name, identify their letters, count to 10 etc. So if leaving them until 6 years, theses things need to be taught. Most ECE don’t focus a lot on this if I look at what my daughter got and she wanted to read and write at 4yrs old.

Reactions: 5
School are not as strict in NZ with time off in term time - in other countries the parents can get fined for the kids missing school. Our school is totes okay with kids being taken out during term time (although the older the kids get, the bigger impact it will have on their learning).
Also, legally kids don’t have to start school until they’re 6. I’d like to know if Katie will actually be teaching the curriculum or just continuing with kindy (which she said she’ll still attend) until she turns 6 - which is absolutely her prerogative but it’s not home schooling if that’s what she’s doing 🤷🏼‍♀️
---
Someone will be able to correct me, I believe kids don’t have to start school until 6 in NZ

and it seems to be quite trending in NZ now to start at 6, from people I know and work with what they’ve done with their kids and other influencers

however I’m curious to know if these kids starting later are starting off on abackfoot and are behind compared to kids at starting at 5
100% depends on the kid, some are so ready and need the challenge while others can’t do basic things like organise their lunchbox or sit on the mat and this makes it harder in them and the whole class. Generally, girls seem to be a lot more prepared at 5 than boys.

Someone will be able to correct me, I believe kids don’t have to start school until 6 in NZ

and it seems to be quite trending in NZ now to start at 6, from people I know and work with what they’ve done with their kids and other influencers

however I’m curious to know if these kids starting later are starting off on abackfoot and are behind compared to kids at starting at 5
I started my son closer to six- he’s currently year 0 with 5 year olds- so he will be turning 19 in his last year of schooling (year 13) so he’s not being put at any disadvantage but he is almost a year older than his peers in his class- he just wasn’t ready to go at 5. His siblings all started at 5 though.

Reactions: 3
I started my son closer to six- he’s currently year 0 with 5 year olds- so he will be turning 19 in his last year of schooling (year 13) so he’s not being put at any disadvantage but he is almost a year older than his peers in his class- he just wasn’t ready to go at 5. His siblings all started at 5 though.
I remember there being a few of us in high school who were turning 19 in our last year - myself included. The only difference it made was being able to go to the pub and buy booze before your school friends 😂
There were a few only just turning 18 when we graduated too. So it’s always a mixed bag.
I’ll probably be pushing for my oldest to start later at this stage and he’s born halfway through the year.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.