New Baby & Post Birth Off Topic #2 Ffs Matthew, Grow Some Breasts

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We've got an outhouse that needs re-roofing, it's a flat roof and it just leaks and leaks constantly. OH has been asked to do this repeatedly, but can't quite manage it. It's been done once and we were scammed out of several grand by a company who just came and painted some tar on top and didn't fix the fact that it's leaking through because it's flat and the actual ceiling is holey.

OH has finally got a new company in to do it, they've turned up this morning and I tit you not they look like they're about 12, they've got one ladder with them and nothing else. Fucks sake, why do I feel like we're about to lose another 5k :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3
We'll be in Herne Bay for a few days next week, wondered of any of you are from there or been and would reccomend and places to visit

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We've got an outhouse that needs re-roofing, it's a flat roof and it just leaks and leaks constantly. OH has been asked to do this repeatedly, but can't quite manage it. It's been done once and we were scammed out of several grand by a company who just came and painted some tar on top and didn't fix the fact that it's leaking through because it's flat and the actual ceiling is holey.

OH has finally got a new company in to do it, they've turned up this morning and I tit you not they look like they're about 12, they've got one ladder with them and nothing else. Fucks sake, why do I feel like we're about to lose another 5k :(
My kitchen has a flat roof and I had it replaced in January with that newish rubber roofing rather than felt. It was pricey (isn't everything) but has like a 35 year guarantee. Make sure the company give you any guarantees / building regs certification before they leave!

We'll be in Herne Bay for a few days next week, wondered of any of you are from there or been and would reccomend and places to visit
I saw this yesterday and meant to reply. I'm not from there but my OH is and he says there's a lovely wildlife park called Wildwood in Herne Bay - there's a big variety of animals to see. The pier is also great apparently!

I saw this yesterday and meant to reply. I'm not from there but my OH is and he says there's a lovely wildlife park called Wildwood in Herne Bay - there's a big variety of animals to see. The pier is also great apparently!
I've seen this and wasn't sure if it was worth a visit. We'll be going then 😊 thank you! Oh love a pier!

• Heart
Bit of an odd one, but I'm on maternity leave and would have been due to have had my annual review in February but I was on leave. I would have expected some kind of increment in my salary - I'm still receiving a salary for 6 months but I have not received any increase in my base. My question is should I contact my manager about it while on leave or should I wait , I wont likely be back to work until Feb next year with annual leave and additional time off. Also think they've messed up my annual leave entitlement as I was having issues before going on leave. Not sure what I'm supposed to do

Bit of an odd one, but I'm on maternity leave and would have been due to have had my annual review in February but I was on leave. I would have expected some kind of increment in my salary - I'm still receiving a salary for 6 months but I have not received any increase in my base. My question is should I contact my manager about it while on leave or should I wait , I wont likely be back to work until Feb next year with annual leave and additional time off. Also think they've messed up my annual leave entitlement as I was having issues before going on leave. Not sure what I'm supposed to do
I think contacting your manager to ask them to support with the annual leave issue and to ask about the increment would be a good idea - just because you're not there doesn't mean you're not entitled to what would have happened if you weren't on maternity leave! But I'm not sure about the rules on it - perhaps one for @loveanatter to help with as she has lots of HR experience 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Today marks testing of formula number 7 for wee man. Really hope he's okay with this one as we're almost out of options!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I work in HR - you should get the same % as anyone else, but depends if they’re linked to ratings? If they are, your manager should have talked to you regardless of being on mat leave. If it’s standard %age across the business then a letter/email would suffice.
Re annual leave, email your HR contact and ask them to calculate it for you xxxxx
---
@Pontiac_Bandit having one of those nights and the fact you remembered I’m in HR has literally made me so happy. Hope you and baby Bandit are doing well ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Just requested to see a house that's for sale in our local area and get ours valued. Only a few roads away from our current one (big win for childminder/work) but 5 bed not 3. Not sure why it's so cheap though :/

That sparked off a lengthy conversation of whether or not we want to buy again in this area or if we want to try and move home to be nearer both sets of parents. Trouble is we're in a relatively low cost of living area atm compared to where our parents live (where 3 bedroom houses regularly go for over 500k, compared to £275k here, got to love commuter belt London areas eh). And there's also no work for my OH there, I'd struggle to find a job there as although they have hospitals they're notoriously either very poorly rated OR the parking/access is nigh on impossible so I'd be commuting hours each way compared to 20 minutes now. And I don't really want to change my work situation again after the tit that they gave me when I returned from maternity leave, knowing we probably want baby 2 in 2025 if we can. But OH is set on only moving once more (or maybe once more again when kids are grown and out the house) as "it's a waste of money otherwise".

God, I hate being an adult XD

• Heart
Just requested to see a house that's for sale in our local area and get ours valued. Only a few roads away from our current one (big win for childminder/work) but 5 bed not 3. Not sure why it's so cheap though :/

That sparked off a lengthy conversation of whether or not we want to buy again in this area or if we want to try and move home to be nearer both sets of parents. Trouble is we're in a relatively low cost of living area atm compared to where our parents live (where 3 bedroom houses regularly go for over 500k, compared to £275k here, got to love commuter belt London areas eh). And there's also no work for my OH there, I'd struggle to find a job there as although they have hospitals they're notoriously either very poorly rated OR the parking/access is nigh on impossible so I'd be commuting hours each way compared to 20 minutes now. And I don't really want to change my work situation again after the tit that they gave me when I returned from maternity leave, knowing we probably want baby 2 in 2025 if we can. But OH is set on only moving once more (or maybe once more again when kids are grown and out the house) as "it's a waste of money otherwise".

We're in a similar situation. We have to move to get into a catchment for better schools, better layout and room size for the kiddos and before we kill our neighbours 😂 Would be nice to move closer to family but at £7/800k for a 2 bed mid terrace and no job opportunities without a 2 hour commute, that isn't going to happen. Saw a wonderful house yesterday but don't think we could afford it. OH needs to pull his finger out and earn more, fed up having the onus on me all the time.

Hope the viewing goes well and it's not a money pit!

• Wow
We're in a similar situation. We have to move to get into a catchment for better schools, better layout and room size for the kiddos and before we kill our neighbours 😂 Would be nice to move closer to family but at £7/800k for a 2 bed mid terrace and no job opportunities without a 2 hour commute, that isn't going to happen. Saw a wonderful house yesterday but don't think we could afford it. OH needs to pull his finger out and earn more, fed up having the onus on me all the time.

Hope the viewing goes well and it's not a money pit!
Thanks, I think there must be something weird about it - the kitchen layout is a bit 'odd' (I'd share a picture of the floor plan but I don't want to doxx myself, haha) as it comes off the entrance hall with no door and has a blind corner in it - but other than that it all looks too good to be true. It's in the 'worse' side of the village but tbf it's a village where the crime is basically teenagers nicking their mates bike and throwing it in a ditch 🤷‍♀️ and we walk down the road it's on quite often at all times of day and have never had any issues or seen anything concerning.

That's the problem for us as well, my OH could get a job with similar or slightly better pay fairly easily but I'd need to go back to full time, and it would be a choice or two or three hospitals which would decide ultimately where we moved to and I don't think that's very sensible! Much as I moan about it I do actually like where I work and have been here for nearly a decade now so not sure it's worth changing for the sake of it.

Thanks, I think there must be something weird about it - the kitchen layout is a bit 'odd' (I'd share a picture of the floor plan but I don't want to doxx myself, haha) as it comes off the entrance hall with no door and has a blind corner in it - but other than that it all looks too good to be true. It's in the 'worse' side of the village but tbf it's a village where the crime is basically teenagers nicking their mates bike and throwing it in a ditch 🤷‍♀️ and we walk down the road it's on quite often at all times of day and have never had any issues or seen anything concerning.

That's the problem for us as well, my OH could get a job with similar or slightly better pay fairly easily but I'd need to go back to full time, and it would be a choice or two or three hospitals which would decide ultimately where we moved to and I don't think that's very sensible! Much as I moan about it I do actually like where I work and have been here for nearly a decade now so not sure it's worth changing for the sake of it.
I think if you're happy with the area and your jobs it makes sense to stay, even though being closer to family would be nice! Uprooting your whole life and changing things you're happy with just to be closer probably isn't worth it, and there's always the risk that the people you move for won't stay there (my aunt and uncle re-located to be closer to their son and grandkids, and the son moved away after a year or two 🥴).

The house sounds great but definitely check everything out if it sounds too good to be true - could it be non-standard construction? Or in an area at greater risk of flooding etc? It could just be the weird layout and the owners wanting a quick sale though!

Like you we moved to the cheaper area, we don’t have any family around but decided we’d rather bring children up where we live now - greener, more space etc. plus the house price luxury 😂

I think if you're happy with the area and your jobs it makes sense to stay, even though being closer to family would be nice! Uprooting your whole life and changing things you're happy with just to be closer probably isn't worth it, and there's always the risk that the people you move for won't stay there (my aunt and uncle re-located to be closer to their son and grandkids, and the son moved away after a year or two 🥴).

The house sounds great but definitely check everything out if it sounds too good to be true - could it be non-standard construction? Or in an area at greater risk of flooding etc? It could just be the weird layout and the owners wanting a quick sale though!
Potentially some issues with the extension they've put on - I've searched our council database and there's no register of it on there. Though I'm not 100% sure how that system works XD

Like you we moved to the cheaper area, we don’t have any family around but decided we’d rather bring children up where we live now - greener, more space etc. plus the house price luxury 😂
Yes, where we live now is great for kids - lots of lovely countryside in very easy access, lots of sports clubs, good schools, real nice pace of life. My home town is so run down and there is some countryside but it's limited; here the town centre and the next town along have lively centres, we're within an hours drive of great hill walking, there's a national park within an hour, the seaside is 40 minutes away. House prices here are about average whereas in my home area they're 30 - 40% above the national average, even more if you go closer to London and into the fancy villages.

Potentially some issues with the extension they've put on - I've searched our council database and there's no register of it on there. Though I'm not 100% sure how that system works XD

Yes, where we live now is great for kids - lots of lovely countryside in very easy access, lots of sports clubs, good schools, real nice pace of life. My home town is so run down and there is some countryside but it's limited; here the town centre and the next town along have lively centres, we're within an hours drive of great hill walking, there's a national park within an hour, the seaside is 40 minutes away. House prices here are about average whereas in my home area they're 30 - 40% above the national average, even more if you go closer to London and into the fancy villages.
I can't remember the specifics but if a conservatory is under a certain size (I think something like 2m x 3m) it comes under permitted development, so you don't need planning permission and I don't think you have to notify the council - however, for bigger conservatories/extensions you have to apply for planning permission, and then the finished building has to be signed off by building control otherwise it causes issues selling. Might be worth looking up building control and building regulations to work out what permissions/confirmations they should have got?

Regardless of that house, the more you share the more it sounds like staying in that area would be really positive, despite the lack of family support! Are both sets of parents well/nearing retirement age and therefore could visit more?

6 has her birthday party this week. I usually bake her cake, but due to circumstances this year I don’t think I will have time and I feel awful about it. Should I just make time? Wondering if I could get a shop bought one and pimp it…

• Heart
Reactions: 4
6 has her birthday party this week. I usually bake her cake, but due to circumstances this year I don’t think I will have time and I feel awful about it. Should I just make time? Wondering if I could get a shop bought one and pimp it…
There's no shame in not having time to make one! If you think you can make time then great, but if not buying one and decorating it sounds great - she'll remember what it looks like, not the sponge inside! Waitrose do some great sponge cakes with plain white icing ready for decorating - I got one for my husband's 30th and decorated it myself! I think you have to order it online to collect in store but I remember them being reasonably priced for the size!

Edit - undecorated cakes and cupcakes are on this page in amongst other cakes! https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/bakery/birthday_and_celebration_cakes

• Heart