New Baby & Post Birth Off Topic #2 Ffs Matthew, Grow Some Breasts

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's no shame in not having time to make one! If you think you can make time then great, but if not buying one and decorating it sounds great - she'll remember what it looks like, not the sponge inside! Waitrose do some great sponge cakes with plain white icing ready for decorating - I got one for my husband's 30th and decorated it myself! I think you have to order it online to collect in store but I remember them being reasonably priced for the size!

Edit - undecorated cakes and cupcakes are on this page in amongst other cakes! https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/bakery/birthday_and_celebration_cakes
Well she actually doesn’t like most shop bought cakes tbh, but she loves my cakes… thanks for the link x

Well she actually doesn’t like most shop bought cakes tbh, but she loves my cakes… thanks for the link x
Oh haha well that complicates things! I hope you can find time to bake or find a similar cake somewhere then!

(Unless you buy and decorate a cake for the party/for her friends to eat and then make her a cake afterwards when you have more time for her to eat?)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Oh haha well that complicates things! I hope you can find time to bake or find a similar cake somewhere then!

(Unless you buy and decorate a cake for the party/for her friends to eat and then make her a cake afterwards when you have more time for her to eat?)
I think that second option is the one I’ll probably go down xx

Reactions: 2
I can't remember the specifics but if a conservatory is under a certain size (I think something like 2m x 3m) it comes under permitted development, so you don't need planning permission and I don't think you have to notify the council - however, for bigger conservatories/extensions you have to apply for planning permission, and then the finished building has to be signed off by building control otherwise it causes issues selling. Might be worth looking up building control and building regulations to work out what permissions/confirmations they should have got?

Regardless of that house, the more you share the more it sounds like staying in that area would be really positive, despite the lack of family support! Are both sets of parents well/nearing retirement age and therefore could visit more?
It's an above and to the side of the garage extension - from looking at the other houses around it they've added a metre to the side so there's no side access (which my OH is very anti) and then gone over the top of the garage, the full length of the garage and then an extra 2 or so metres. Looking at google maps it looks like it was built before 2010 so probably fine but it's a risk.

Both of my OHs parents are retired and my Mum is but if I'm honest I don't know if my Dad ever will or if he'll just keel over at his desk one afternoon - he's so unhealthy, completely devoted to his work (he often works 8am to 7pm for no reason other than "he still has stuff to do" - doesn't understand that there will always be stuff to do, he's ex-Forces) and sees absolutely nothing wrong with that lifestyle. He's a few years younger than my Mum as well. My Mum doesn't drive long distances any more so if they come over it has to be with my Dad.

My OHs parents are the complete opposite - his Dad is currently on a 6 week trip around some obscure country cycling on his own and his Mum is off doing things with her friends all the time (coach trips, holidays, they have a biweekly 'supper club' which is basically a lot of Prosecco and fancy cheese). Plus my OHs sister is due their first child in November and they live very close to them, about 20 minutes drive. They see my OHs sister a lot more than us, though we do regularly meet up.

You're quite right though, 6 years ago when we bought this house and moved to this village I hated it, and just wanted to be back in my home town, but now I've built a strong community here of friends and activities that I can do which would exist anywhere else but it's the thought of going back to scratch. Plus littleWC loves his child minder/nursery here and the idea of removing him from that (even though he's so social I know he'd be ok) breaks my heart 🥴 Ideally we know on a map where we'd need to be that I could still work where I do (my OH could work from home) and be within an hour of my parents but unfortunately it's dead in the middle of very expensive countryside idyllic villages and an AONB so the prices are insane. Like, £500k for a 2 bed terrace with no parking...

6 has her birthday party this week. I usually bake her cake, but due to circumstances this year I don’t think I will have time and I feel awful about it. Should I just make time? Wondering if I could get a shop bought one and pimp it…
Can you get your OH to measure out the ingredients? I always find that's the longest part of a recipe.

• Heart
Can you get your OH to measure out the ingredients? I always find that's the longest part of a recipe.
Absolutely not, that would end in divorce/a nervous breakdown for both of us.
If you knew us you would know how funny that suggestion is though x

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I know there’s a few of you that use the alpro growing up milk, is there a difference between that and regular alpro soya milk? Doing an online shop and it’s saying the growing up milk is unavailable 🙄

I know there’s a few of you that use the alpro growing up milk, is there a difference between that and regular alpro soya milk? Doing an online shop and it’s saying the growing up milk is unavailable 🙄
The key difference for us is that the growing up milk made TF throw up, and the regular stuff didn’t… I would check the fat content on the back. We get the dark blue oatley milk xx

• Heart
The key difference for us is that the growing up milk made TF throw up, and the regular stuff didn’t… I would check the fat content on the back. We get the dark blue oatley milk xx
Ok thank you, we are only on that currently as he’s been so constipated the osteo recommended trying that instead of cows milk but not sure it’s making a whole load of difference yet anyway! Bless her, does she like the oatly milk? I quite like oatly myself so wouldn’t mind buying that anyway! X

6 has her birthday party this week. I usually bake her cake, but due to circumstances this year I don’t think I will have time and I feel awful about it. Should I just make time? Wondering if I could get a shop bought one and pimp it…
I really wanted to make my toddler's birthday cake but was on the struggle bus after having wee man and felt terrible that I wouldn't be able to make one myself. I bought a cake from Waitrose and then iced it with fondant icing and some mini toys to create a scene. He loved it so that helped with the mum guilt.
---
@WeHadFunRight If you wanted to still bake a cake but kinda cheat, I recommend using a Betty Crocker cake mix and adding in a can of fizzy drink. I personally usually use sparkling water as it doesn't add extra sugar or sweetness to the cake. Just dump the mix in a bowl, add the fizzy drink in and stir gently to combine. Whack it in a tin or cupcake cases and stick it in the oven as normal. Easy peasy. Will be dairy and egg free too. Should work with a gluten free mix too if you need that as well. The Betty Crocker buttercreams are also dairy free too if you didn’t want to faff with fondant.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
When my 4 year old was under the nutritionist, we were advised to go with growing up milk, but there’s been a lot of change in the market and for my one year old, they basically said any milk so long as it wasn’t like pea milk x

• Heart
I really wanted to make my toddler's birthday cake but was on the struggle bus after having wee man and felt terrible that I wouldn't be able to make one myself. I bought a cake from Waitrose and then iced it with fondant icing and some mini toys to create a scene. He loved it so that helped with the mum guilt.
---
@WeHadFunRight If you wanted to still bake a cake but kinda cheat, I recommend using a Betty Crocker cake mix and adding in a can of fizzy drink. I personally usually use sparkling water as it doesn't add extra sugar or sweetness to the cake. Just dump the mix in a bowl, add the fizzy drink in and stir gently to combine. Whack it in a tin or cupcake cases and stick it in the oven as normal. Easy peasy. Will be dairy and egg free too. Should work with a gluten free mix too if you need that as well. The Betty Crocker buttercreams are also dairy free too if you didn’t want to faff with fondant.
Thank you so much, we’ve found a local bakery that can do the cake that’s like one I would make. Going to sound like a complete cake snob for which I apologise and I totally feel that cake mixes and ready made icing are really good back ups (and I’ve used them all in the past) but I can really tell the difference, so on this occasion I’m kind of all in or all out. I am going to take the feedback from my ex boyfriend’s mum who loved baking as well and remember when she said eventually the cakes she made for her children’s birthdays sort of became about her and less about the birthday 😂 to which there is probably some truth to!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you so much, we’ve found a local bakery that can do the cake that’s like one I would make. Going to sound like a complete cake snob for which I apologise and I totally feel that cake mixes and ready made icing are really good back ups (and I’ve used them all in the past) but I can really tell the difference, so on this occasion I’m kind of all in or all out. I am going to take the feedback from my ex boyfriend’s mum who loved baking as well and remember when she said eventually the cakes she made for her children’s birthdays sort of became about her and less about the birthday 😂 to which there is probably some truth to!
That's a result, pleased you sorted something 😊

• Heart
Went to see that house, I think if we were desperate to move and/or weren't happy with where we are we'd have it, but it's not enough for us to give up what we have! And it was so impractical for a small child - no carpet, the stairs were half open with no bannister, lots of little steps here and there, pond and rockery in the garden. Shame as the downstairs was lovely.

• Heart
Reactions: 4