New Baby & Post Birth Off Topic #2 Ffs Matthew, Grow Some Breasts

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So here's a random question - rugs! We're rearranging the living room and want a big rug to go in front of the sofa/through the middle of the room - our flooring is laminate. Do I go for a fairly thin rug so that it's easier to clean/less of an allergy risk but obviously won't offer any protection for a crawling/tumbling baby unless I put his foam playmat pieces down, or do I get a rug that's more like a carpet/has a thicker pile and will be much softer for little knees/heads when he inevitably launches himself to the floor, but is harder to keep clean and potentially more of an allergy risk for sensitive baby?

Or (god I drive myself mad with overthinking) I'd be getting an underlay thing anyway to make the rug non-slip - can you get padded ones that would make a thin rug safer?!
So a play place we go to has a ‘mellow mat’. It’s amazing! It’s a cushioned rug but so soft, if I didn’t have a coffee table on my rug, I would absolutely buy one! X

Reactions: 1
Is this where he’s going to play as well? We don’t have a separate playroom (and they always want to play where you are anyway) so I would go with something you can build stuff on and lay a jig saw out on… and that’s easy to clean x
---

Eating my toast and nodding along to your post.

been there, it’s awful, eat chocolate and biscuits and chocolate biscuits xxx
She allowed me precisely 4 cubes of mango before she woke up screaming. I'm now nap trapped with no chocolate in sight. Day just keeps getting worse tbh

• Sad
Reactions: 4
She allowed me precisely 4 cubes of mango before she woke up screaming. I'm now nap trapped with no chocolate in sight. Day just keeps getting worse tbh
How are you doing? Still trapped? Hopefully she’s much more herself after a sleep

Reactions: 1
So here's a random question - rugs! We're rearranging the living room and want a big rug to go in front of the sofa/through the middle of the room - our flooring is laminate. Do I go for a fairly thin rug so that it's easier to clean/less of an allergy risk but obviously won't offer any protection for a crawling/tumbling baby unless I put his foam playmat pieces down, or do I get a rug that's more like a carpet/has a thicker pile and will be much softer for little knees/heads when he inevitably launches himself to the floor, but is harder to keep clean and potentially more of an allergy risk for sensitive baby?

Or (god I drive myself mad with overthinking) I'd be getting an underlay thing anyway to make the rug non-slip - can you get padded ones that would make a thin rug safer?!
so we have this rug in our playroom with a play pen on top:https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vindum-rug-high-pile-white-50344986/

the playpen takes up most of the space but it is such a comfy rug, think it was actually marketed for being able to sit on. We don’t walk on it with shoes on so tbh I’m not sure how hard it is to clean as I just hoover it and there’s not much surface area of it to walk over but it is absolutely lovely and cosy. Depends on your setup but I recommend this.

___
Cutting another tooth here which is brill. Another one on the bottom- she will now have 4 on the bottom and 0 on top. Should I be worried as the order is just completely wrong?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
How are you doing? Still trapped? Hopefully she’s much more herself after a sleep
She's woken up a bit happier & my husband is sending me for a bath with a packet of choccy digestives. Thanks for checking in!

However, she woke up with bright red cheeks and a need to gnaw on things 🥴 I've had a look at her gums and they're not red or swollen but she did get aggy when I touched them and it does look like there's two bumps underneath. She's only 3 months - is this the dreaded teething? No temp or illness symptoms other than irritability and clinginess.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thanks for the rug advice everyone, I'll have a proper look when I'm not wrestling with an aggy baby!!

@themuffinwoman I think it's ok if they deviate from the standard order as long as there's no visible problems but you could book a dentist visit for MM to make sure - baby bandit has his first visit on Wednesday!

@kayefeluu20 I'm so sorry about your day, we've all been there and it's tit! Teething involves all the pre-teething stuff like teeth moving around beneath the gums so can start very early - baby bandit started getting upset with his gums at 3 months and I think his central bottom two teeth popped through at about 5 months. It's tricky finding teethers small enough for their tiny mouths at that age so I used to just cover my finger with a layer of muslin and let him gnaw on that, which he was very happy with! I hope you enjoyed your bath and biscuits ❤

• Heart
She's woken up a bit happier & my husband is sending me for a bath with a packet of choccy digestives. Thanks for checking in!

However, she woke up with bright red cheeks and a need to gnaw on things 🥴 I've had a look at her gums and they're not red or swollen but she did get aggy when I touched them and it does look like there's two bumps underneath. She's only 3 months - is this the dreaded teething? No temp or illness symptoms other than irritability and clinginess.
Yep baby fudge is teething and this is exactly how he is, we’ve started using teething gel and also this teething toy he’s obsessed with, he’s always munching on it! It’s good because there’s a little bar they can hold onto and it goes around their hand so they don’t drop it

Attachments

• Heart
Yep baby fudge is teething and this is exactly how he is, we’ve started using teething gel and also this teething toy he’s obsessed with, he’s always munching on it! It’s good because there’s a little bar they can hold onto and it goes around their hand so they don’t drop it
I bought baby bandit the Nuby version of that when I saw it in Boots recently as he has a tendency to throw teethers, and his big ol' ham fists don't fit into it 😂😭 he has SUCH big hands, he can pick up big toys one-handed haha but that teether would be perfect for younger babies or those of a normal size!!
---
so we have this rug in our playroom with a play pen on top:https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vindum-rug-high-pile-white-50344986/

the playpen takes up most of the space but it is such a comfy rug, think it was actually marketed for being able to sit on. We don’t walk on it with shoes on so tbh I’m not sure how hard it is to clean as I just hoover it and there’s not much surface area of it to walk over but it is absolutely lovely and cosy. Depends on your setup but I recommend this.

___
Cutting another tooth here which is brill. Another one on the bottom- she will now have 4 on the bottom and 0 on top. Should I be worried as the order is just completely wrong?
I forgot to ask another important question - what playpen do you have?!

• Haha
Came INCHES from crying in public today - baby Kaye had a monstrous night and a bad start to the day with one hour solid of nap refusal and crying. We went out for a coffee and she was alright in the shop and the shop that followed, then we get about 15 mins from home and she starts crying and doesn't stop until I pick her up but then I have to push the pram one handed. Eventually I stop on the path and stand and sway her, put her back in the pram and make it home and thankfully she's still asleep in there now.

There's been so much of her crying and being upset today and overnight that I'm completely depleted. My husband had a terrible night with her and has a migraine as a result. It's probably a growth spurt or teething but I am wrecked 🤪 she's with my MIL tomorrow so a break is in sight. Feeling like the world's most incompetent, impatient and disastrous mum.
I feel you - not to merail but baby tuesday has been refusing naps like a champion today and I cried in the car after making a swift exit from M&S due to him screaming like I was torturing him. Poor little sod. So no advice just heaps and heaps of solidarity.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I bought baby bandit the Nuby version of that when I saw it in Boots recently as he has a tendency to throw teethers, and his big ol' ham fists don't fit into it 😂😭 he has SUCH big hands, he can pick up big toys one-handed haha but that teether would be perfect for younger babies or those of a normal size!!
---

I forgot to ask another important question - what playpen do you have?!
Haha, this one: https://amzn.eu/d/cIivAq2

top tip, measure your space accurately and get someone to verify your measurement instead of doing what I did which was a rough measurement which ended up too big for the nice nook behind the door so it now takes up the whole room 🫠

And I hope Baby Bandit is ok- MM has a load of spots around her mouth which seems to happen when she’s teething :(

@kayefeluu20 I’m sorry about your day and have been there, in fact, I’ve actually cried several times in public, including today 😂it does get better though, whenever anyone said that to me I used to think “yeah right whatever” but it does get better I promise!!! Glad you’ve got biscuits and a bath xx

• Heart
I’ve just been to Zumba and mr fudge said baby fudge had been screaming the whole time!! There must be something in the air as he hasn’t been like that for a few months now since his colic settled!

• Heart
Thanks for all the nice words, gang 💓 MIL is collecting baby Kaye tomorrow morning for baby pilates & playtime at their house (she's bought a toy subscription based on baby's age?! I love her, she spoils baby rotten). Baby has also had a better evening, her cheeks aren't red anymore and she seems more content with feeding and she's smiling again. Fingers crossed my poor husband gets a good night with her.

• Heart
Bloody bathroom fitter didn't show and then when we called to find out where he was they told us "oh, he's been off sick with family problems for a few weeks now, he's probably not going to be back until the end of April". I. am. FUMING.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Full moon cometh 🌝
The full moon horror has hit here tonight 🌚 baby woke up screaming when I was in the shower, just rinsing the conditioner out and the monitor lights up him crying so upset😭 poor wee guy, very unlike him as only put him down sleeping 15 mins ago. Glad I was finished washing my hair as to be honest prob would of made him wait a few mins if I hadn't 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My work cover text me asking how I’m feeling about returning tomorrow and if I want a catch up, tempted to reply with “I cannot think of literally anything I want to do less. To both questions”.

• Heart
  • Sad
TF won’t stop pushing her sister in the face. She is 100% Melissa McCarthy in that identity thief meme and poor 5 is Jason Bateman. Poor 5

no amount of “no” is doing anything- she doesn’t give a flying duck. Just keeps hitting and smacking her.

• Haha
  • Heart