New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Saw every hour on the clock last night 😴😴😴🥱🥱🥱
Oh bless you 😩 do you think it was the heat?

Question for formula feeding mamas - when it’s boiling are you supposed to give baby cooled boiled water? My mum mentioned it to me yesterday and I’ve never heard it before 🙈 didn’t know if it was something she used to do back in the day but the advice has changed now

yesterday it was boiling but we kept baby cool all day, he never felt sweaty at all apart from when I was feeding him cause he was on me, so I wasn’t concerned but just wanted to see what your opinions were?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Doubt it- it’s not as warm here as in England! 11C today 😬

We've just left that period and I hope it doesn't return anytime soon, we had 45mins/1hour/2hourly wake ups for 8 weeks straight from 13 weeks old! It was a killer. We had 5 nights where we had a 3 hour stretch and 5 wake ups a night was a "good night".
The wind thing is frustrating, we were just saying here how happy we are that he doesn't need winding forever now! The nappy thing is so tricky, I usually do a change in the night as he's still having 2 feeds a night and we've had some leaks, that wake him up more due to needing everytthing changed. I've become a master of nappy changes in the complete darkness as if he sees me, it's party time :ROFLMAO: What's sleep like usually?
Sleep is usually fine with him, which makes a bad night so much worse! My older son from 9 months - 18 months would have been up for two hours every single night. Talk about being a zombie! He was a shocking sleeper 😩

We can make it all night with no leaks and no nappy change… but not every night so it’s wet sheet roulette 🤣

Question for formula feeding mamas - when it’s boiling are you supposed to give baby cooled boiled water? My mum mentioned it to me yesterday and I’ve never heard it before 🙈 didn’t know if it was something she used to do back in the day but the advice has changed now

yesterday it was boiling but we kept baby cool all day, he never felt sweaty at all apart from when I was feeding him cause he was on me, so I wasn’t concerned but just wanted to see what your opinions were?
On a pregnancy group I've been in, someone posted an image from nhs website that says you can offer small amounts of cooled boiled water on very hot days but not so much that it replaces/reduces their milk intake. I've not been doing this as his feeds haven't dropped really and like yours, he hasn't felt sweaty at all!

Doubt it- it’s not as warm here as in England! 11C today 😬

Sleep is usually fine with him, which makes a bad night so much worse! My older son from 9 months - 18 months would have been up for two hours every single night. Talk about being a zombie! He was a shocking sleeper 😩

We can make it all night with no leaks and no nappy change… but not every night so it’s wet sheet roulette 🤣
Oh god, sounds horrendous! I hit breaking point at 8 weeks with it. Even co-sleeping didn't get us a longer stretch so we did some very gentle sleep training with him that's made the world of difference; not for everyone, though, I know.
That's good! My little one seems to get to 5am and then will sometimes leak so I don't take the chance now as if he does a full change at that time then he's up and 5am is way too early, I admire your courage to play wet sheet roulette :ROFLMAO:

Hi moimoi, I discovered a complete life saver just on the off chance when I was buying nappies in boots one day. The nuby rapid cool flask, it cools water to the correct temperature for a feed in 2 mins. NHS approved! No filter needed, doesn’t need charging and is lightweight to fit in your changing bag if you’re out and about!
£30!
We were doing the boiling the kettle and waiting for it to cool down, this was a huge faff especially during the first few weeks, a screaming baby at 11pm, 1am and beyond is not fun 🤣 I’m gutted it didn’t release until he was 8 weeks old. I recommend this to all expectant parents now!

That looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 1
Hi moimoi, I discovered a complete life saver just on the off chance when I was buying nappies in boots one day. The nuby rapid cool flask, it cools water to the correct temperature for a feed in 2 mins. NHS approved! No filter needed, doesn’t need charging and is lightweight to fit in your changing bag if you’re out and about!
£30!
We were doing the boiling the kettle and waiting for it to cool down, this was a huge faff especially during the first few weeks, a screaming baby at 11pm, 1am and beyond is not fun 🤣 I’m gutted it didn’t release until he was 8 weeks old. I recommend this to all expectant parents now!

This looks so handy to have! How do you use it if you're out and about though? Do you just ask somewhere to fill it with boiled water or do you need to switch it on somehow?
Sorry for the questions haha, I've got the prep machine at home but think this would be handy to have out and about!

Thanks ladies re: water and formula, I was definitely over thinking it 😅 and will still clear of bottled water if I do!

Is formula feeding as much of a faff as it seems to be?! All of the steps and instructions seem a lot when I read them! And do you have any tips to cool down boiled water quicker? Waiting 30 mins seems a lot if you have a hungry baby?
Perfect prep all the way 🙈

Reactions: 5
Am I doing it wrong? Mine’s 3 weeks, (on a good night) waking every 2 hours or so for a feed, so we change his nappy every time he’s up before a feed, either a wee or poo! He always seems to lose his tit even when he just has a wet nappy, so can’t imagine waiting until the morning to change?! Do people generally only change dirty nappies at night?

Am I doing it wrong? Mine’s 3 weeks, (on a good night) waking every 2 hours or so for a feed, so we change his nappy every time he’s up before a feed, either a wee or poo! He always seems to lose his tit even when he just has a wet nappy, so can’t imagine waiting until the morning to change?! Do people generally only change dirty nappies at night?
With my son, we always changed his nappy every time he was up for a night feed. I found this unsettled him and he would wake up then take longer to go back over. We then started to change his nappy every second time he woke up (unless it was a dirty nappy) as he would take a bottle then go back to sleep quite quickly. He had cmpa that was undiagnosed for a while so we always had to hold him up after a feed for at least 30 mins. Anything to give us a little more sleep we would go for haha!

Yes we are just out of the “tit every two minutes and need changed every feed” at night stage. Now I only change him if he poos during the night, I wouldn’t change just a wet nappy if he woke for a feed. He’s happy to lie in his wee 🤣

you can get extra absorbent nappies for night times.

i generally don’t change unless its a dirty one or she seems very uncomfortable

The joy of boys! Just changed his wet nappy, then midchange he shat all over the mat and all down his back, then lifting his legs up to clean him, he pissed all over his face. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
This looks so handy to have! How do you use it if you're out and about though? Do you just ask somewhere to fill it with boiled water or do you need to switch it on somehow?
Sorry for the questions haha, I've got the prep machine at home but think this would be handy to have out and about!
I take a flask of boiled water aswell, my changing bag has two side pockets for bottles so it keeps the hot water upright, and obviously take your sterilised bottles. I measure up the amount of water, my boy has 180ml atm, then put back into the rapid cool, and shake until it’s ready, then put in bottle and powder after.
I hope my explanation wasn’t complicated, because trust me once you’ve done it once it’s so easy. Everyone is always amazed by it 🤣

That looks amazing, thanks for sharing!
I have a flask of boiled water and the rapid cool next to my bed at night time for his night feeds, it saves going downstairs when I’m half asleep 🤣 I know some people take their kettle upstairs but I don’t like the water sitting in the kettle for too long

The joy of boys! Just changed his wet nappy, then midchange he shat all over the mat and all down his back, then lifting his legs up to clean him, he pissed all over his face. 😂
Haha that is a bath situation! My son peed in his mouth twice in his first week alive. Luckily now he is a bit bigger his willy points down and not up towards his face 😂

• Haha
Speaking of boys.... we had another hospital appt yesterday, I thought it was only an appt with the consultant but they also wanted bp, height, weight and a URINE SAMPLE?!?! I was like what the hell how am I supposed to do that! Anyway the nurse gave me a bag which you basically stick around their private’s and he just peed into it, so much easier than trying to collect in a tube lol.
Also, he is an absolute CHUNK 😂 7lb15oz at birth and now he is 18lb at 12 weeks hahahaah, he’s super long though so all proportionate. I’ve got a really small frame so a lot of people who meet him are like how the hell did that happen?

that bottle cooler looks great - could have really done with that a few months ago 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 7
For anyone who didn’t breastfeed when did your boobs go back to their pre pregnancy size or at least go down in size? I’m 3 months pp and their still a full cup size bigger, my bras don’t fit and none of my tops fit 🙈🙈😅 it’s annoying 😑😑

@HoneyBee29 Unfortunately my breasts never really went back to their ‘normal size’

i was already big and now i’m huge in the boob dept, esp after 2 kids, although they didnt get as big with second pregnancy.

They became a bit smaller when i lost weight first time but wouldnt say a full cup size

• Wow
For anyone who didn’t breastfeed when did your boobs go back to their pre pregnancy size or at least go down in size? I’m 3 months pp and their still a full cup size bigger, my bras don’t fit and none of my tops fit 🙈🙈😅 it’s annoying 😑😑
Mine didn't, they just went all.. Wrinkly and saggy instead apparently😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I always changed my babies with every feed during the night. I preferred to change them when they woke first. It kinda disturbed them enough that they would be more awake and eager to feed. Bottle fed so they were feeding every 4 hours.

Reactions: 4
I always changed my babies with every feed during the night. I preferred to change them when they woke first. It kinda disturbed them enough that they would be more awake and eager to feed. Bottle fed so they were feeding every 4 hours.
I do every feed too, I find it helps to burp him to the movement!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.