New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m gonna sound like a total moron here, but when it comes to using formula and water. What do you do? Everywhere says to use tap water and boil it. But I’d never fancy drinking water straight from the tap (London water is not it!), or does boiling it get rid of all the nasty stuff?

Or do people boil filtered tap water? Or even bottle water? I know I’ve read that some bottled water contains higher sodium and sulphate so to be careful about that.

I’m gonna sound like a total moron here, but when it comes to using formula and water. What do you do? Everywhere says to use tap water and boil it. But I’d never fancy drinking water straight from the tap (London water is not it!), or does boiling it get rid of all the nasty stuff?

Or do people boil filtered tap water? Or even bottle water? I know I’ve read that some bottled water contains higher sodium and sulphate so to be careful about that.
Always used tap water.
I don't think you're supposed to use bottled water.

I'd imagine if it makes you feel better to filter the water first then yes as it does get rid of stuff. I've never known anyone to bother though

Reactions: 1

I just boil the kettle for bottles if we need one and are at someone else's house; I'm in London too.
At home we have the perfect prep machine which has a filter in it that the tap water passes through before being boiled. I don't think you're supposed to use bottled water for the reasons you mentioned.

Definitely not bottled water, I don’t think you’re supposed to give it under one? Maybe I made that age up though! But for the reasons you said.

Not suppose to use bottle water as their is sodium in it and babies aren’t suppose to have much salt. Always tap water and boiled it gets rid of any bacteria

Definitely not bottled water, I pretty sure Avian water WAS/ IS the only bottled water suitable to make babies bottles with. Well thats what I was told anyway.
Always cooled boiled water.

Maternity pads (the bigger the better) big knickers and if you end up having stitches please please don’t do what I did in the love bubble/adrenaline haze and think you can be up and about and doing everything like normal - take it easy, bed rest if you can but not practical for most. I regret it so much now and the extra pain was not the one. And make sure you have food prepped or money for takeaways that first week or so (at the very least the first night home) our friends brought round some curries etc and To this day it’s the most thoughtful present I’ve ever received because I hadn’t thought about eating and the thought of making a meal was not the most exciting prospect

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Maternity pads (the bigger the better) big knickers and if you end up having stitches please please don’t do what I did in the love bubble/adrenaline haze and think you can be up and about and doing everything like normal - take it easy, bed rest if you can but not practical for most. I regret it so much now and the extra pain was not the one. And make sure you have food prepped or money for takeaways that first week or so (at the very least the first night home) our friends brought round some curries etc and To this day it’s the most thoughtful present I’ve ever received because I hadn’t thought about eating and the thought of making a meal was not the most exciting prospect
I totally agree. The best gift we received was my neighbour putting a large pot of spag bol and packets of pasta on my doorstep. So thoughful and so handy!

Agree about not trying to get up and about and take it as easy as you can. Accept any help offered. Ignore the laundry and cleaning wherever possible. Some people boast about how early they were out doing normal things, some people have no choice or were ok doing that but it’s equally ok to do what I did and veg at home for a few weeks before you’re ready to face the world!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thanks ladies re: water and formula, I was definitely over thinking it 😅 and will still clear of bottled water if I do!

Is formula feeding as much of a faff as it seems to be?! All of the steps and instructions seem a lot when I read them! And do you have any tips to cool down boiled water quicker? Waiting 30 mins seems a lot if you have a hungry baby?

Cabbage leaves in the freezer, great for sore boobs. If your bottle feeding you can order a tray of pre made bottles. Makes the first 24 hours a little easier.
Lots of ice in your freezer
Tell visitors they can feck off and take the first few days to be with your little family alone. If someone visits don’t be fussing over them making tea. They can make you tea.
Babies dont need outfits so feel free to have them in their vest and baby grow all day. There are little rompers you can get with short legs and sleeves for babies born in warmer months.

You may feel some pressure post birth, its not unusual so take care of yourself. Anything your unsure of call your obgyn

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thanks ladies re: water and formula, I was definitely over thinking it 😅 and will still clear of bottled water if I do!

Is formula feeding as much of a faff as it seems to be?! All of the steps and instructions seem a lot when I read them! And do you have any tips to cool down boiled water quicker? Waiting 30 mins seems a lot if you have a hungry baby?
you don’t need to wait for 30 mins, you need to make sure its not left longer than 30 mins after being boiled as it won’t be hot enough to kill anything harmful in the formula.

at home perfect prep is a life saver, it does a hot shot, you mix formula and then it tops it up with cool water and makes it perfect temp

For out and about if you dont want to use ready made feed, you can do have 2 flasks, one for hot water and then another where u have cooled boiled water.

then do a shot of hot water and mix the formula (30ml is usually what prep machine does) and then top up the rest with cool boiled water from another flask.

its sounds like a hassle buts its pretty quick ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Formula feeding petrified me at first - I’d done no research on it at all as it wasn’t in my plans and it was a faff at first but once you’ve been doing it for a few weeks and got used to sterilising it’s a doddle. ☺

If we've been at my mum's or a friend's house I've put the bottle in a jug of cold water with iced cubes, cooled down in under 10 mins. It gets easier as they get older as you know when they'll want a feed; my little one is every 4 hours like clockwork now! At home, we have the perfect prep machine and was a good buy I think , great for night feeds.

Formula feeding petrified me at first - I’d done no research on it at all as it wasn’t in my plans and it was a faff at first but once you’ve been doing it for a few weeks and got used to sterilising it’s a doddle. ☺
This is me right now hence the ridiculous questions. 😂

Thank you @mg89 and @Pinkii!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Hi moimoi, I discovered a complete life saver just on the off chance when I was buying nappies in boots one day. The nuby rapid cool flask, it cools water to the correct temperature for a feed in 2 mins. NHS approved! No filter needed, doesn’t need charging and is lightweight to fit in your changing bag if you’re out and about!
£30!
We were doing the boiling the kettle and waiting for it to cool down, this was a huge faff especially during the first few weeks, a screaming baby at 11pm, 1am and beyond is not fun 🤣 I’m gutted it didn’t release until he was 8 weeks old. I recommend this to all expectant parents now!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Hi moimoi, I discovered a complete life saver just on the off chance when I was buying nappies in boots one day. The nuby rapid cool flask, it cools water to the correct temperature for a feed in 2 mins. NHS approved! No filter needed, doesn’t need charging and is lightweight to fit in your changing bag if you’re out and about!
£30!
We were doing the boiling the kettle and waiting for it to cool down, this was a huge faff especially during the first few weeks, a screaming baby at 11pm, 1am and beyond is not fun 🤣 I’m gutted it didn’t release until he was 8 weeks old. I recommend this to all expectant parents now!

That is amazing!!! I'd literally never heard of it before.

Saw every hour on the clock last night 😴😴😴🥱🥱🥱
Sending love, those nights are so rough!! Did they want feeding each time?

• Heart
Sending love, those nights are so rough!! Did they want feeding each time?
No he didn’t, just a wriggle about and a shout to squeeze a fart out mostly 😒😒 at one point I then changed his nappy so he decided it was party time for an hour and a half. Reminded me of the good old days with me eldest son when he was awake two hours every night 😩

No he didn’t, just a wriggle about and a shout to squeeze a fart out mostly 😒😒 at one point I then changed his nappy so he decided it was party time for an hour and a half. Reminded me of the good old days with me eldest son when he was awake two hours every night 😩
We've just left that period and I hope it doesn't return anytime soon, we had 45mins/1hour/2hourly wake ups for 8 weeks straight from 13 weeks old! It was a killer. We had 5 nights where we had a 3 hour stretch and 5 wake ups a night was a "good night".
The wind thing is frustrating, we were just saying here how happy we are that he doesn't need winding forever now! The nappy thing is so tricky, I usually do a change in the night as he's still having 2 feeds a night and we've had some leaks, that wake him up more due to needing everytthing changed. I've become a master of nappy changes in the complete darkness as if he sees me, it's party time :ROFLMAO: What's sleep like usually?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.