New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You’ve sold me. My homework this weekend will be to actually give the sling a go! Thanks for your tips! ❤

Last night was a nightmare, not sure if it was the hot weather or if he’s going through his first leap (does anyone else use the Wonder Weeks app? Is it legit? People in a fb group I’m in swear by it) but he was up every hour whinging or wanting a feed. Probably had a grand total of 30 mins sleep all night. Managed to get an extra 45 mins just now sharing the bed with him though. 🥴
😩😩😩 that’s a very rough night.

Wonder weeks… I dunno. It seemed to fit my first well enough, definitely not my (demonic!) second, nor my (very placid!) third. But I think it can bring comfort knowing there is a reason why your beautiful baby is being an absolute turd 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Ooohh I want a sling! I want to do some gardening and it’s impossible atm. Are they much different from a baby bjorn? Are there any people swear by? Thanks guys 😊

Ooohh I want a sling! I want to do some gardening and it’s impossible atm. Are they much different from a baby bjorn? Are there any people swear by? Thanks guys 😊
My two favourites are a stretchy wrap for newborn (very supportive and holds and newbie lovely and snugly, downside is a learning curve to tie) and you can get brand really as it’s just a length of stretchy material. And then a Tula for older babies, although you can get one which adjusts to use from birth.

But it’s really personal preference. If you have a local sling library near you you can try out a few types and decide what suits you.

You’ve sold me. My homework this weekend will be to actually give the sling a go! Thanks for your tips! ❤

Last night was a nightmare, not sure if it was the hot weather or if he’s going through his first leap (does anyone else use the Wonder Weeks app? Is it legit? People in a fb group I’m in swear by it) but he was up every hour whinging or wanting a feed. Probably had a grand total of 30 mins sleep all night. Managed to get an extra 45 mins just now sharing the bed with him though. 🥴
I have it, I'm not sure I fully buy into it but
I got a fabric one when baby was newborn that I had to tie myself and found it really difficult to get right. Then I bought one that goes on like a tshirt and you just tighten, baby was much happier in that one. Think it's made by Joy and Joe. I have a baby bjorn for outdoors

I have used a Tula free to grow with my first and just treated myself to a Tula explore with my second. I love both!

I have the app not sure if it’s legit tbh sometimes she has been a bit more unsettled around the times she’s meant to be going through leaps and then other times she’s been fine but tbh she was all over the place from about week 3 up until around week 9 and she was wanting fed every 2 hrs at night time even though we’d increased the ozs 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ She then started to settle a good bit around week 9 and got into a bit of a sleeping pattern at night she would fall asleep around half 8 so we started giving her her last bottle, nappy change etc around 8 o’clock and she’d be out for the count by 9 and sleep to 1 then it was 9-2 then 9-3 now she sleeps 9-5 or 6 which is great so we’re now getting a bit more sleep too she’s currently 13 weeks old! It does get better once they start getting into a bit of a routine especially a sleep routine at night it starts to get a bit easier

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Guys I’m at my wits end with my 6 week all. We’re bottle feeding, she will only take about 3oz per feed and really fusses over it. She’ll take the first half of the bottle fine, although within seconds of getting the teat in her mouth I can hear the wind bubbling in her. So I’ll wind her, she does a burp then seems like she’s still hungry but really fusses over the 2nd half of the bottle, like she’ll have a mouthful, pull away and carry on doing this until she’s had about 3oz in total. I’ll wind her again, then she’ll just fuss for the next 2 hours or so and gradually bring up her milk in little/big sicks until I feed her again.

We’re not getting any sleep or any time we’re I’m not feeding her or mopping up sick/comforting her.

I do/have tried all of the following:

Always hold her upright while feeding and for at least half an hour after feeds.

Winding regularly during feeds.

I’ve tried changing teats, used Tommee Tippee closer to nature and NUK anti colic. Also tried a faster flow closer to nature teat.

Infacol doesn’t seem to help at all.

Is this reflux or colic?

She also has hiccups like all of the time.

I’m sure my toddler was smashing 5oz bottles by this point, and she’d been diagnosed with reflux at 2 weeks. It never seemed to cause her any pain though like it does with baby, she would just do a big sick and be fine.

I’ve just got no idea what to do, it’s just gotten worse over the past week.

• Heart
i have a wrap, she sometimes likes being in there but laat couple of days hasn’t liked it and whines, not sure it it’s because its too tight?

i have invested in a proper sling now So we’ll see how she gets on with that! 🤞🏽
What’s the difference between a sling and wrap?

Guys I’m at my wits end with my 6 week all. We’re bottle feeding, she will only take about 3oz per feed and really fusses over it. She’ll take the first half of the bottle fine, although within seconds of getting the teat in her mouth I can hear the wind bubbling in her. So I’ll wind her, she does a burp then seems like she’s still hungry but really fusses over the 2nd half of the bottle, like she’ll have a mouthful, pull away and carry on doing this until she’s had about 3oz in total. I’ll wind her again, then she’ll just fuss for the next 2 hours or so and gradually bring up her milk in little/big sicks until I feed her again.

We’re not getting any sleep or any time we’re I’m not feeding her or mopping up sick/comforting her.

Always hold her upright while feeding and for at least half an hour after feeds.

I’ve tried changing teats, used Tommee Tippee closer to nature and NUK anti colic. Also tried a faster flow closer to nature teat.

Is this reflux or colic?

I’m sure my toddler was smashing 5oz bottles by this point, and she’d been diagnosed with reflux at 2 weeks. It never seemed to cause her any pain though like it does with baby, she would just do a big sick and be fine.

I’m no expert and with a toddler you’re certainly more experienced than me, reflux and colic seem to explain 90% or baby problems but have you looked at paced feeding and symptoms of allergies such as CMPA? I honestly don’t even think doctors know but terrible wind seeming to drive the milk back out with my little one was diagnosed as cmpa 🤷🏼‍♀️

Is this reflux or colic?

It sounds like it could maybe be CMPA? My son was like this, he'd take some bottle then need winded, fussy taking more, burping and sick, take more then sick like projectile after every feed. It was horrific and so exhausting. Eventually after being prescribed gaviscon then ranitidine then a referal to the hospital, the gp finally suggested CMPA and prescription for new formula and he was like a new baby!

Is this reflux or colic?

Oh bless you it’s so difficult seeing your baby in discomfort isn’t it? We weren’t exactly the same but the fussiness and bringing the milk back up is sounding so familiar!
we are bottle feeding and baby was put on cow and gate to begin with...absolute nightmare it just didn’t agree with him so after doing a bit of reading we moved to Kendamil... took about 8 days but we saw significant changes. We use mam Bottles... if I’m honest I don’t believe they are anti colic but they are good. We also took baby to a cranial osteopath... I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but honestly it’s been such a game changer... we’ve gone from a baby who is snacking constantly (I believe to soothe the acid coming up) to feeds every 4 hours, a lot less discomfort and sleeping about 8-10 hours a night.
do you give baby a dummy at all? I found when he was in discomfort sucking on one really seemed to help too..
I know not all babies are the same but I wanted to try this route before considering medication as I’ve read so many babies struggle with constipation on it! I don’t know anything about cmpa though..
sending love, I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Thanks ladies! I’ve just looked up cmpa and it definitely seems like she has a lot of similar symptoms. I’m going to raise it with my HV and see what she says. I’ve spoken to her about babies problems before and she’s never suggested it. But I think it’s hard to tell with younger babies as they’re often fussy with bottles aren’t they until they settle into it. I feel like by 6 weeks she should be feeding more comfortably than this though so it’s got to be something bothering her!

I wonder if I could give kendamil a go. We are also using C&G soot could be that also! Is it made with goats milk instead? @Hbirdette did your baby accept the new formula straight away?

Cranial Osteopathy sounds interesting I’d never heard of it just read an article and it definitely sounds like it could help. If you don’t mind me asking, how does it work? Do you go for a few sessions, or just once?

Thanks so much ladies xxx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! I’ve just looked up cmpa and it definitely seems like she has a lot of similar symptoms. I’ve going to raise it with my HV and see what she says. I’ve spoken to her about it before, but I think it’s hard to tell with younger babies as they’re often fussy with bottles aren’t they until they settle into it. I feel like by 6 weeks she should be feeding more comfortably than this though so it’s got to be something bothering her!

Cranial Osteopathy sounds interesting I’d never heard of it just read an article and it definitely sounds like it could help. If you don’t mind me asking, how does it work? Do you go for a few sessions, or just once?

So we’ve only had 2 sessions, I’m booked in next week for another but not sure whether to cancel it yet as baby seems ok. If I’m honest, I couldn’t tell you what he does 😂 the movements are so small and gentle but my understanding is it sort of releases any tension baby has. My labour was very quick and apparently that can be a bit wild for babies, didn’t know!
most my family think it’s a complete waste of time but they don’t see what goes on, they just get the cuddles and that’s it lol.
good luck with everythingx

Close Caboo are a good shout for anyone looking a newborn wrap but who isn’t confident about getting the long material sorted right.

A wrap is usually a long piece of fabric you tie (wrap) yourself, while a sling is the term usually used for a carrier with buckles (like a baby bjorn) and straps that is a bit more structured.

sorry in my post i meant I have purchased a baby carrier to try instead of the baby wrap/sling. Baby brain 😆

i like the wrap/sling but need to have it tight to hold her in but she doesn’t seem to like being that tight apparently

Thanks ladies! I’ve just looked up cmpa and it definitely seems like she has a lot of similar symptoms. I’m going to raise it with my HV and see what she says. I’ve spoken to her about babies problems before and she’s never suggested it. But I think it’s hard to tell with younger babies as they’re often fussy with bottles aren’t they until they settle into it. I feel like by 6 weeks she should be feeding more comfortably than this though so it’s got to be something bothering her!

I wonder if I could give kendamil a go. We are also using C&G soot could be that also! Is it made with goats milk instead? @Hbirdette did your baby accept the new formula straight away?

Lots of babies with CMPA also react to goats milk as the protein make up is the same. My little one has silent reflux and CMPA - we have been on omeprazole for it since about 8 weeks old (he's now 5.5 months). We started on a hydrolysed formula which still has dairy in it but very, very broken down and easier for them to digest, he was like a different baby but still not completely settled and only ever took a max of 4oz at a time. After lots of me fighting the GP, we got a referral to a dietician who suggested we tried an amino based forumula which is completely dairy free; he's gone from 4oz bottles to 7oz every feed, sometimes up to 9-10oz before bed. His sleep has improved; he can nap for good amounts of times whereas before he was uncomfortable so always woke. We are now weaning off the omeprazole as we now believe his silent reflux was actually being caused by his milk allergy.

Keep pushing the HV and GP if you think something is wrong. I was labelled an anxious FTM, told "all babies cry and fuss" repeatedly but I knew something was wrong! He would scream and fuss during feeds, constant hiccups, bringing up clear liquid after feeds and screaming. The screaming was relentless and I just got told it's colic. I had to quote the NICE guidelines to my GP in the end after going to a private paediatrician in pure desperation. The complete lack of support and knowledge around it was one of the reasons I believe I developed PND.

Sorry, long post; but just to say I've been there, it's very very tough. My inbox is always open!

Reactions: 3
Close Caboo are a good shout for anyone looking a newborn wrap but who isn’t confident about getting the long material sorted right.

A wrap is usually a long piece of fabric you tie (wrap) yourself, while a sling is the term usually used for a carrier with buckles (like a baby bjorn) and straps that is a bit more structured.
I second the close caboo and there are some bargains on ebay. Easy enough to wash if you stick it in a pillow case. Couldn't be without mine with my second.

Is this reflux or colic?

My first daughter was like this and it was colic. We started her on dentinox colic drops and sorted it out completely.
This time, as soon as we noticed her unsettled after bottles, we started the dentinox colic drops before it became an issue

My eldest son had cmpa, and he was horrendous as a baby. Just screamed all the time, so I feel for anyone going through the same.

anyone who is, even if not cmpa just unsettled baby, I did craniosacral therapy with him and it definitely helped rid him of some demonic tendencies 😂 I’m not in to alternative therapies at all really, but was willing to give anything a go with him and it definitely did help.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.