New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it every time you lie her down? I don’t know much about reflux, but if you’re concerned maybe speak to GP or HV and ask
It's only a couple of times it's happened, HV is finally coming out next week so will ask her then! 😊

We’ve got to give our baby antibiotics at the mo as he is having a procedure at the hospital at the moment and it’s to reduce any risk of infection (catheter and dye injected 😭) and we tried to do it with a calpol syringe but it’s massive in his mouth! Needed 3ml so I used my leftover colostrum syringes, it worked a treat!
TOTALLY dreading tomorrow, has anyone’s babas been through the same?
I hope all goes well for him! Keep us updated ❤

sounds like my little girl and her reflux, ours is silent reflux so she doesnt spit upc does she hiccup a lot or have wet hiccups?
She gets hiccups quite regularly but I just thought she was guzzling her milk too quick!

Reactions: 2
It's only a couple of times it's happened, HV is finally coming out next week so will ask her then! 😊

I hope all goes well for him! Keep us updated ❤

She gets hiccups quite regularly but I just thought she was guzzling her milk too quick!
it could just be drinking too quick, and if she is fine when you put her down most of the time I wouldnt worry too much about reflux, but maybe keep her up for 10-15 mins after a feed so she can digest it before lying down.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone else’s baby just whine and get frustrated whatever position they are in?

she can’t seem to stay in any position for more than a few minutes and then gets whiney, tried flat, side, tummy time, bouncer, everything is short lived 😩 not sure if its reflux related, my eldest was like this but not till she was a bit older and probably felt restricted

Reactions: 1
Does anyone else’s baby just whine and get frustrated whatever position they are in?

she can’t seem to stay in any position for more than a few minutes and then gets whiney, tried flat, side, tummy time, bouncer, everything is short lived 😩 not sure if its reflux related, my eldest was like this but not till she was a bit older and probably felt restricted
Oh that’s tough work 😩. My second was similar, just had to be held all the time, very rarely set down as it made him unhappy no matter where he was set.

We’ve got to give our baby antibiotics at the mo as he is having a procedure at the hospital at the moment and it’s to reduce any risk of infection (catheter and dye injected 😭) and we tried to do it with a calpol syringe but it’s massive in his mouth! Needed 3ml so I used my leftover colostrum syringes, it worked a treat!
TOTALLY dreading tomorrow, has anyone’s babas been through the same?
Just being nosey over from the pregnancy thread and my now six year old went through this. Hope all goes well for you. My little boy actually ended up falling asleep during the procedure as it was very calm and relaxed, the staff were amazing. Xx

My daughter is exactly the same.
Isn't happy no matter where I put her

• Sad
Just had my first experience of projectile poo all over me and the carpet, I guess that’s good going 20 days in!

I’m also struggling with keeping my sanity and breastfeeding. He’s just constantly on me and when he falls asleep and if I try to put him down in the basket he’ll wake straight away. The past few nights I’ve slept (attempted to) on the sofa in the living room as our bedroom is so warm, it’s just exhausting. I think I’m just missing some independence and sleep!

I’m thinking of starting combi feeding, at least introducing one formula bottle (for some reason I’m just not able to express!) in the morning so my partner can do a morning feed and I can have an hour or so sleep, but I don’t know why, I just feel so bad and guilty for it??? I’ve always said I wouldn’t put pressure on myself when it came to breastfeeding but for some reason I just have guilt when it comes to introducing one bottle feed!

I’ve asked the midwives tips on introducing a bottle, I don’t even know how many oz would be enough for one bottle feed at 3 weeks, but they’ve been so clueless and not very helpful.

He also isn’t at his birth weight yet, very slowly gaining, midwives aren’t too concerned. They said csection babies who have had a traumatic birth can slowly gain? But I’d hope a formula bottle would help with that.

Last edited:
My daughter is exactly the same.
Isn't happy no matter where I put her
its so frustrating isn’t it? 😩 hopefully it wont last too long

Just had my first experience of projectile poo all over me and the carpet, I guess that’s good going 20 days in!

I’m also struggling with keeping my sanity and breastfeeding. He’s just constantly on me and when he falls asleep and if I try to put him down in the basket he’ll wake straight away. The past few nights I’ve slept (attempted to) on the sofa in the living room as our bedroom is so warm, it’s just exhausting. I think I’m just missing some independence and sleep!

I’m thinking of starting combi feeding, at least introducing one formula bottle (for some reason I’m just not able to express!) in the morning so my partner can do a morning feed and I can have an hour or so sleep, but I don’t know why, I just feel so bad and guilty for it??? I’ve always said I wouldn’t put pressure on myself when it came to breastfeeding but for some reason I just have guilt when it comes to introducing one bottle feed!

I’ve asked the midwives tips on introducing a bottle, I don’t even know how many oz would be enough for one bottle feed at 3 weeks, but they’ve been so clueless and not very helpful.

He also isn’t at his birth weight yet, very slowly gaining, midwives aren’t too concerned. They said csection babies who have had a traumatic birth can slowly gain? But I’d hope a formula bottle would help with that.
you’re doing so well exclusively breastfeeding so far, its so demanding as they are constantly attached to you.

Don’t feel bad about introducing 1/2 bottles, your own sanity is also very important and breast feeding should be a nice bonding experience. Pumping is brutal, If he is already attached to you constantly then having to pump as well will be hard. When i tried i was in the same position, baby on me basically 24/7 and when she wasn’t i’d pump and only get 10/15ml 😩

i would say 2/3 ounces should be good around that age 👍🏽 But if baby wants more then that’s fine, they are pretty good at regulating their feed I find.

I understand the feeling of wanting to give a bottle but feeling guilty. I’ve resisted it so far (which isn’t the right terminology as nothing wrong with combi or bottle feeding yet I feel guilty for even wanting to give him a bottle of expressed milk). I don’t really know what I want. I see friends whose baby takes a bottle and they can go out to the pub for a few hours with friends or go get their hair or nails done. I feel chained to my baby and he feeds up to every 1.5h and I would be so worried he was crying for a feed while I was out I wouldn’t enjoy myself. Yet the the thought of someone else being able to feed him who isn’t me almost makes me over protective of that being the one thing only I can do?

rambling now but I understand that torn feeling for something that shouldn’t make you feel guilty but does!

I'm with you all with a baby that whines no matter where he's put! He learnt to sit up this week and is on all 4s rocking back and forth trying to crawl so I'm hoping this will help his mood once he can move to what he wants. He's only 5.5 months though and didn't expect it to come so quickly!

I just asked my Mum to babysit next friday so me and my partner can go out for drinks with some friends. Our first time leaving him with someone else who's not each other and our first time out together, but I already feel so anxious and guilty?! Got to be done at some point I guess but argh, so tough managing the guilt and also wanting some time as a couple and to feel like me again!

its so frustrating isn’t it? 😩 hopefully it wont last too long

you’re doing so well exclusively breastfeeding so far, its so demanding as they are constantly attached to you.

Don’t feel bad about introducing 1/2 bottles, your own sanity is also very important and breast feeding should be a nice bonding experience. Pumping is brutal, If he is already attached to you constantly then having to pump as well will be hard. When i tried i was in the same position, baby on me basically 24/7 and when she wasn’t i’d pump and only get 10/15ml 😩

i would say 2/3 ounces should be good around that age 👍🏽 But if baby wants more then that’s fine, they are pretty good at regulating their feed I find.
I’m exactly the same, can only manage 10/15mls express. Had a breastfeeding support person come over the other day and she recommended that I hand express 4 times a day to help my flow when it comes to expressing, but when on earth am I supposed to do that he’s constantly on me and if I do manage to put him down, the last thing I want to do is express. 😩

Thank you for the oz recommendation!

I understand the feeling of wanting to give a bottle but feeling guilty. I’ve resisted it so far (which isn’t the right terminology as nothing wrong with combi or bottle feeding yet I feel guilty for even wanting to give him a bottle of expressed milk). I don’t really know what I want. I see friends whose baby takes a bottle and they can go out to the pub for a few hours with friends or go get their hair or nails done. I feel chained to my baby and he feeds up to every 1.5h and I would be so worried he was crying for a feed while I was out I wouldn’t enjoy myself. Yet the the thought of someone else being able to feed him who isn’t me almost makes me over protective of that being the one thing only I can do?

rambling now but I understand that torn feeling for something that shouldn’t make you feel guilty but does!
Glad I’m not alone with this, so many conflicting feelings. It’s silly isn’t it, feeling bad for contemplating about something we shouldn’t even feel bad about at all!

I’m definitely getting more ratty with my partner when he can just go on as usual and here I am feeling like I’m just glued to the sofa not able to do anything.

I also have those worries, and if baby will be upset if I give him a formula bottle over a boob. But he’s hardly gonna remember when he’s older if he was exclusively breastfed or not!

Thank you all for the kind messages.. due to covid only one of us could go in with him. My husband went as I was a crying mess - turns out he was absolutely fine and was clearly just loving the attention 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@Hbirdette so glad to hear it all went well and you weren’t too emotionally scarred 😉

@moimoi breastfeeding in the early weeks can feel so overwhelming. It feels like you are the only person who can look after this baby, like you aren’t you any more, just a feeding machine for a small human. It’s exhausting never being able to do what you want, when you want, and never getting the simplest task done without being interrupted. It’s mentally exhausting, and it’s physically exhausting as well.
Have you got a sling? If so, my babies have always settled really well in a sling after a feed, giving me some time to do whatever I need to without worrying about setting them down and then crying and having to feed again. The fourth trimester is so much about baby just needing to be in contact with you 24/7, and that is so much to handle at times, TOO much to handle sometimes.
You should do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to introduce a bottle, go for it. If you don’t feel comfortable, don’t push yourself. This intense time WILL pass. I know it doesn’t feel like it now, but it will.

Do you, or would you consider, bed sharing? My babies sleep in bed with me, usually with a boob in their mouth all night while I snooze away. Even if just for a nap or two during the day to let you get some rest. I also find if I feed a baby lying in bed, I can roll away from them and they stay asleep so I can get some bits done if needed, whereas I couldn’t set them down and they’d stay asleep.

Whatever decision you make will be right for you. You’ll do it out of love, and no decision made out of love can really be wrong x

@Hbirdette so glad to hear it all went well and you weren’t too emotionally scarred 😉

@moimoi breastfeeding in the early weeks can feel so overwhelming. It feels like you are the only person who can look after this baby, like you aren’t you any more, just a feeding machine for a small human. It’s exhausting never being able to do what you want, when you want, and never getting the simplest task done without being interrupted. It’s mentally exhausting, and it’s physically exhausting as well.
Have you got a sling? If so, my babies have always settled really well in a sling after a feed, giving me some time to do whatever I need to without worrying about setting them down and then crying and having to feed again. The fourth trimester is so much about baby just needing to be in contact with you 24/7, and that is so much to handle at times, TOO much to handle sometimes.
You should do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to introduce a bottle, go for it. If you don’t feel comfortable, don’t push yourself. This intense time WILL pass. I know it doesn’t feel like it now, but it will.

Do you, or would you consider, bed sharing? My babies sleep in bed with me, usually with a boob in their mouth all night while I snooze away. Even if just for a nap or two during the day to let you get some rest. I also find if I feed a baby lying in bed, I can roll away from them and they stay asleep so I can get some bits done if needed, whereas I couldn’t set them down and they’d stay asleep.

Whatever decision you make will be right for you. You’ll do it out of love, and no decision made out of love can really be wrong x
Thank you, I needed to read that. ❤ It is so exhausting being a milk machine! While I’ve been sat on the sofa 24/7, I wonder how the hell anyone with more than one kid does it. I’m still recovering from my c-section so I should probably cut myself some slack too and make the most of these lazy days.

I’ve got this sling but haven’t attempted to give it ago yet, I’m a bit scared and the instructions seemed a bit faffy and complicated but it’s probably just me.

The past couple of mornings after spending the night on the sofa and when my partner has got up, I’ve gone back to bed for a couple of hours and laid him down next to me. I’ve felt a little uneasy but made sure there’s no cushions or anything and we’ve managed to get a good couple hours extra of sleep. I don’t think I could co-sleep with both me and my partner, I don’t think the bed’s big enough?

• Heart
Thank you, I needed to read that. ❤ It is so exhausting being a milk machine! While I’ve been sat on the sofa 24/7, I wonder how the hell anyone with more than one kid does it. I’m still recovering from my c-section so I should probably cut myself some slack too and make the most of these lazy days.

I’ve got this sling but haven’t attempted to give it ago yet, I’m a bit scared and the instructions seemed a bit faffy and complicated but it’s probably just me.

The past couple of mornings after spending the night on the sofa and when my partner has got up, I’ve gone back to bed for a couple of hours and laid him down next to me. I’ve felt a little uneasy but made sure there’s no cushions or anything and we’ve managed to get a good couple hours extra of sleep. I don’t think I could co-sleep with both me and my partner, I don’t think the bed’s big enough?
thats the same type of sling I use for newborns, it is great to have. once you get the hang of putting it on it is no hassle, I can do it without thinking these days! YouTube some videos of how to use a stretchy wrap and practice with a teddy! The main trick is to get it nice and tight When you tie before putting baby in.

personally I’d kick your partner out of the bed! You’re recovering from surgery, he should be on the sofa! And then you’ll have a safe space for baby too. It is nerve wracking to begin with, but once you have a few nights past you you don’t worry so much about baby.

Definitely cut yourself some slack. These days are hard, and so hard with your first. Your whole life has just been upended, you’ve had surgery! You should be on the sofa, chocolate in hand, baby in arms, box set on tv ❤

• Heart

Honestly invest in a sling best thing I ever did. Was literally able to do nothing or get anything done cause she wanted held constantly, she did have silent reflux from about 3 weeks which I think added to it but once I got a sling she settled so much and now I only put her in it when she’s unsettled or having a whiney day which isn’t as often now. Usually I can leave her nearby me in her bouncer and she’ll be ok having a nose around her but I wish I’d have got the sling sooner as it defiantly made a world of difference

• Heart
Honestly invest in a sling best thing I ever did. Was literally able to do nothing or get anything done cause she wanted held constantly, she did have silent reflux from about 3 weeks which I think added to it but once I got a sling she settled so much and now I only put her in it when she’s unsettled or having a whiney day which isn’t as often now. Usually I can leave her nearby me in her bouncer and she’ll be ok having a nose around her but I wish I’d have got the sling sooner as it defiantly made a world of difference
agree 100%. I genuinely do not know how people manage a newborn without a sling.

i have a wrap, she sometimes likes being in there but laat couple of days hasn’t liked it and whines, not sure it it’s because its too tight?

i have invested in a proper sling now So we’ll see how she gets on with that! 🤞🏽

thats the same type of sling I use for newborns, it is great to have. once you get the hang of putting it on it is no hassle, I can do it without thinking these days! YouTube some videos of how to use a stretchy wrap and practice with a teddy! The main trick is to get it nice and tight When you tie before putting baby in.

personally I’d kick your partner out of the bed! You’re recovering from surgery, he should be on the sofa! And then you’ll have a safe space for baby too. It is nerve wracking to begin with, but once you have a few nights past you you don’t worry so much about baby.

Definitely cut yourself some slack. These days are hard, and so hard with your first. Your whole life has just been upended, you’ve had surgery! You should be on the sofa, chocolate in hand, baby in arms, box set on tv ❤
You’ve sold me. My homework this weekend will be to actually give the sling a go! Thanks for your tips! ❤

Last night was a nightmare, not sure if it was the hot weather or if he’s going through his first leap (does anyone else use the Wonder Weeks app? Is it legit? People in a fb group I’m in swear by it) but he was up every hour whinging or wanting a feed. Probably had a grand total of 30 mins sleep all night. Managed to get an extra 45 mins just now sharing the bed with him though. 🥴

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.