New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi lovelies, I’m 2 weeks PP after having my 1st baby via emergency c section and I can’t stop thinking about having another baby! I want another! Buuut is this a hormonal thing? Does everyone get this?
Due to c section I certainly won’t be trying again for a good few years but very surprised at this new found broodiness (child 1 was unplanned)
I think it’s totally normal, and very much related to hormones. Plus newborns are the sweetest little sausages, who wouldn’t want a million of them to snuggle?!?

Reactions: 5
Hi lovelies, I’m 2 weeks PP after having my 1st baby via emergency c section and I can’t stop thinking about having another baby! I want another! Buuut is this a hormonal thing? Does everyone get this?
Due to c section I certainly won’t be trying again for a good few years but very surprised at this new found broodiness (child 1 was unplanned)
I feel ya mama. I’m 4 weeks PP and it’s all I thought about the first two weeks, I actually cried about it!
although my pregnancy was via IVF (nhs funded, I haven’t got any more cycles left) , and I had a traumatic birth too so highly unlikely to be having another again. I was worrying that I wasn’t enjoying the newborn stage as I was too busy missing being pregnant and craving another baby!! I’ve asked a few friends if they had the same feelings and they said they did, so it definitely is normal!
I will say the feelings aren’t as strong now, I’m enjoying and adjusting to my new life with my little boy and cherishing every moment with him! I think the feelings might come back later on again when he’s abit older though , I’d love a sibling for him but it isn’t possible unfortunately

Reactions: 3
2 days pp baby number 2 and it was a bad delivery I cried in the shower last night because I wanted and do still want another but actually don’t think I can go through labour again.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
2 days pp baby number 2 and it was a bad delivery I cried in the shower last night because I wanted and do still want another but actually don’t think I can go through labour again.
I’m sorry your birth experience wasn’t good. I’m 3 weeks PP with my third baby and had a terrible experience and complications. My hospital is going to a give me a debrief at 6 weeks to talk through everything. If this hasn’t been already arranged for you, you can ask your midwife to sort it with the hospital, if this is something you think may help.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I had similar with my second baby.
Was a traumatic birth and took me months to just not be in pain and I've always wanted 3 kids but it got me down so often! Cried when I found out I was pregnant again but slowly got my head around it once I was actually pregnant!
It's all very raw at the moment for you so it's understandable ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Congratulations new mamas! I have a six month old and sometimes I have that thought but then remember how difficult the newborn stage was 😂 Honestly, I LOVE this part now with what you get back. I have also just started this week to have actual time to myself now she sleeps in her room and I could NOT be happier 😴

• Heart
I think it’s totally normal, and very much related to hormones. Plus newborns are the sweetest little sausages, who wouldn’t want a million of them to snuggle?!?
I was the same! When my little one was 4 weeks old I was itching to do it all again. I definitely think it’s the adrenaline/hormones. By the time she was 1 and I was back to work I was dreading doing it all again. I’m 39 weeks now with our 2nd and super excited, think those hormones have kicked in again 😂

Reactions: 2
Just wanted to jump on and go back to the mention a few pages ago about no visitors....
I am 32 weeks FTM and my midwife said the other day to me that I’ll find everyone will come out the woodwork when baby is born. And it’s okay to say no!

Which made me feel at ease. Because it’s so true! I’ve been really unwell in this pregnancy and regardless of covid or not, hardly no one has been there for me! Mates have just faded out. When they found out I was pregnant I had all the “I can wait to be the fun auntie friend” etc etc.... then I don’t hear from them all 9 months!!

I have got to be strong when baby arrives because I’m expecting everyone to all of a sudden want to barge into my home to kiss my baby and see baby and I’ll be thinking “don’t think so! where were you when I’ve been ill the last 9 months”.

we’ve got this ladies 💪🏻Be strong and let’s enjoy our newborn bubbles x

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Just wanted to jump on and go back to the mention a few pages ago about no visitors....
I am 32 weeks FTM and my midwife said the other day to me that I’ll find everyone will come out the woodwork when baby is born. And it’s okay to say no!

Which made me feel at ease. Because it’s so true! I’ve been really unwell in this pregnancy and regardless of covid or not, hardly no one has been there for me! Mates have just faded out. When they found out I was pregnant I had all the “I can wait to be the fun auntie friend” etc etc.... then I don’t hear from them all 9 months!!

I have got to be strong when baby arrives because I’m expecting everyone to all of a sudden want to barge into my home to kiss my baby and see baby and I’ll be thinking “don’t think so! where were you when I’ve been ill the last 9 months”.

we’ve got this ladies 💪🏻Be strong and let’s enjoy our newborn bubbles x

Agree completely. I’m due my first in august and there will be no visitors other than grandparents for at least the first two weeks. I’ve already told the extended family this and it’s their problem if they don’t like it.

I won’t be vaccinated and I’m not prepared to suddenly have lots of people in the house feeling like they are entitled to be there

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Have to say I’ve gone the other way today. Baby is 2 days old, but it’s my dad’s birthday so my family all came round to our house/garden for tea 🙈 I had a section and am in no fit state to go anywhere, and they brought Chinese. My mum did say “oh are you tired? You look a bit tired? You don’t look 100% today”

Uhm funny that. Just sliced open, have a newborn and 3 other kids. Can’t imagine why I don’t look tip top 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Have to say I’ve gone the other way today. Baby is 2 days old, but it’s my dad’s birthday so my family all came round to our house/garden for tea 🙈 I had a section and am in no fit state to go anywhere, and they brought Chinese. My mum did say “oh are you tired? You look a bit tired? You don’t look 100% today”

Uhm funny that. Just sliced open, have a newborn and 3 other kids. Can’t imagine why I don’t look tip top 🤔
Hope you're doing alright! Well, the best you can 😂

How have the kids been with a new baby?

Reactions: 1
Hope you're doing alright! Well, the best you can 😂

How have the kids been with a new baby?
I’m doing ok - I forgot to take my pain medication earlier so had a dodgy few hours, which will teach me for being stupid 🙄🙄 but back on track now!

Kids have been great with him, lots of fighting over who gets to hold him and when. The toddler is struggling a bit in general though, she refuses to do anything daddy asks, I have to do everything (but can do nothing for her realistically!) and has been very emotional about everything, bless her. But she is all over the baby like a rash. She almost had his eye out earlier saying “open your eyes and look at me baby!” 😬😬

• Heart
I’m doing ok - I forgot to take my pain medication earlier so had a dodgy few hours, which will teach me for being stupid 🙄🙄 but back on track now!

Kids have been great with him, lots of fighting over who gets to hold him and when. The toddler is struggling a bit in general though, she refuses to do anything daddy asks, I have to do everything (but can do nothing for her realistically!) and has been very emotional about everything, bless her. But she is all over the baby like a rash. She almost had his eye out earlier saying “open your eyes and look at me baby!” 😬😬
Bless ❤❤
My 3 year old has been a great help and I don't know if it's the change but her current favourite word is no.
Normally she will do as she's asked no problems.
Everything you ask now, she says no and refuses to move.
So don't know if that's her being a 'typical' 3 year old or a reaction to the baby and sharing attention.
She's been a right pain the past few days 😂

Bless ❤❤
My 3 year old has been a great help and I don't know if it's the change but her current favourite word is no.
Normally she will do as she's asked no problems.
Everything you ask now, she says no and refuses to move.
So don't know if that's her being a 'typical' 3 year old or a reaction to the baby and sharing attention.
She's been a right pain the past few days 😂
Probably just the upheaval for them, I should imagine. All 3 of mine have been exhausted too, I think just from everything going on, then of course the moods are dire 😩😩😩

Reactions: 1
Hi 😊 just wondering if anyone can give advice on dummies/pacifiers.
I had my third baby on Thursday and haven't used dummy. I'm still nursing my 20 month old and now my newborn in tandem so thinking of getting one for my newborn to sooth her when I'm feeding my other child. I have managed to feed them at the same time (one on each side) a couple of times but it's not always going to be practical and also I like to have the one on one time with them.
I never felt the need to use them before because I would just use breast to sooth but I'm thinking it might be a good option now. However, I had heard that the downsides are they can cause dental problems and also then breaking the attachment when the child is older can be difficult. What's your experience? Any brands that you would recommend?

I had my third baby on Thursday and haven't used dummy. I'm still nursing my 20 month old and now my newborn in tandem so thinking of getting one for my newborn to sooth her when I'm feeding my other child. I have managed to feed them at the same time (one on each side) a couple of times but it's not always going to be practical and also I like to have the one on one time with them.
I never felt the need to use them before because I would just use breast to sooth but I'm thinking it might be a good option now. However, I had heard that the downsides are they can cause dental problems and also then breaking the attachment when the child is older can be difficult. What's your experience? Any brands that you would recommend?
I used one with my first but took it away at about 4 months. We had a couple of tricky nights but nothing major when we took it.

I’ve now got a 12 week old who has the dummy every now and then. I’m comforting myself with the fact I’d barely be surviving if she didnt have any means of soothing herself. I’ve just ordered a comforter for her as we transitioned my first off the dummy at the same time we introduced the comforter.

My daughter had a dummy until she was 3. Once she was a few months old and started playing, we always removed it when she was awake so she only slept with it from around 4 or 5 months old.
She has never had dental problems and the dentist didn't even know she had had a dummy. A lot of the time when they only have it at night, it falls out anyway.
But I also think if you remove it before 18 months, it's very rare for it to cause dental issues, which is why a lot of Dummies only say up to 18 months.

This time my baby doesn't want to take one but keeps wanting a bottle to soothe.
We always used a tommee tippee dummy but have tried Mam this time to get her to accept one as she refused the tommee tippee ones but she has Mam bottles.

I partly also want to get her to take one as there's been some research that shows sleeping with a dummy reduces SIDS risk

My little girl had a dummy for sleeping until she was 2.

Personally I don’t have any problems with them, but I know they can maybe be a bit of a hindrance at the start if you’re trying to establish breastfeeding?

We had no problems with her teeth or anything, and she was no bother when we took it off her. We didn’t say anything about it just didn’t give it to her one night for bed, she didn’t ask for it and didn’t wake up crying for it so we just went with it and she’s never mentioned it since! I know it’s not like that for all kids though, my dad always says I was obsessed with dummies when I was little and used to steal them off my little brother 😂

Thank you all it's good to hear your reassuring advice 💛
I've seen that you can get specific orthodontic dummies so might try her with one of those but I might wait a bit as I have read that it can interfere with developing breastfeeding due to the different sucking action.
My nipples are very sore today 🥴 Trying to soothe them with lavender oil, the joys of newborn life 🤣

Thank you all it's good to hear your reassuring advice 💛
I've seen that you can get specific orthodontic dummies so might try her with one of those but I might wait a bit as I have read that it can interfere with developing breastfeeding due to the different sucking action.
My nipples are very sore today 🥴 Trying to soothe them with lavender oil, the joys of newborn life 🤣
My newbie is 6 days and my nips are 🥴🥴🥴🥴 as well. That horrendous moment when you know they are about to latch and you just want to run a mile! I got silver cups this time after seeing them recommended a lot. Never used them before (this is baby 4) and they definitely help out. I’m not sure if they help healing the way they say, but they provide a lovely little safe zone for you nipples - nothing rubbing against them or banging them accidentally, which is great! Also doing the super attractive thing of expressing a little bit of milk on to them and letting them air dry. So basically sitting round all evening with my baps hanging out 😳🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.