New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My newbie is 6 days and my nips are 🥴🥴🥴🥴 as well. That horrendous moment when you know they are about to latch and you just want to run a mile! I got silver cups this time after seeing them recommended a lot. Never used them before (this is baby 4) and they definitely help out. I’m not sure if they help healing the way they say, but they provide a lovely little safe zone for you nipples - nothing rubbing against them or banging them accidentally, which is great! Also doing the super attractive thing of expressing a little bit of milk on to them and letting them air dry. So basically sitting round all evening with my baps hanging out 😳🤣
Silver cups, ive not heard of them i will check them out.

I'm having another crisis now. Baby just threw up and it was like a browny colour with blood in it. I'm trying not to panic ive read that it can be blood swallowed during birth or from my nipples. Going to let the midwife know but its stressing me because ive not had this with my previous two. Has anyone else had this?? 😩

Reactions: 1
Silver cups, ive not heard of them i will check them out.

I'm having another crisis now. Baby just threw up and it was like a browny colour with blood in it. I'm trying not to panic ive read that it can be blood swallowed during birth or from my nipples. Going to let the midwife know but its stressing me because ive not had this with my previous two. Has anyone else had this?? 😩
Baby is less than a week, right? Sounds similar to me. My baby vomited browny/red stuff when he was a few days old and I was still in hospital so could ask. They checked and said it was old mucus from the birth that had just been sitting on his chest. Frightened the life out of me! It only happened once. I would keep an eye on it if baby seems ok otherwise but it never does any harm to mention to the midwife!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Unrelated to the current topic, but a quick question — I’m approaching my 30’s & would like to have my first child soon, however, my work is pretty hectic (I work 6 days a week, which includes the weekend). And this will not change for the next couple of years. Also, I doubt I’d be able to take months off from work. I was wondering, if anyone’s in a similar situation and also raising children? How do you handle it? I don’t really want to put off having children & wait until I’m 40 (not that there’s anything wrong with having kids at 40), but if my current situation really isn’t ideal for child raising, I guess I’ll have to postpone having kids. Thank you.

Unrelated to the current topic, but a quick question — I’m approaching my 30’s & would like to have my first child soon, however, my work is pretty hectic (I work 6 days a week, which includes the weekend). And this will not change for the next couple of years. Also, I doubt I’d be able to take months off from work. I was wondering, if anyone’s in a similar situation and also raising children? How do you handle it? I don’t really want to put off having children & wait until I’m 40 (not that there’s anything wrong with having kids at 40), but if my current situation really isn’t ideal for child raising, I guess I’ll have to postpone having kids. Thank you.
Hey, Obviously it’s hard to say without knowing what your job is in or what your situation is! I used to be a workaholic and prior to having my baby I swore I would only take about 10 weeks off... well fast forward a couple of years and now I couldn’t give two hoots about work and want as long off as possible 😄
Going back to work soon after a baby isn’t impossible but you may just find your priorities change! Realised this probably isn’t much help but you’ve got to do what feels right and what is best for you

Reactions: 5
It’s doable think you need to ask yourself why you want to have a child soon. Once babies get into a routine they will often be asleep from 7pm to 7am. If you can’t take months off maternity and have a child in childcare for work hours, you’d run the risk of only seeing your child awake at weekends. Also, full time childcare averages around £40-50 a day depending where you live and much of your child’s development would be in someone else’s hands, would this be ok with you? If you had a child with extra needs, even just a bad sleeper or colicy baby, could you take time out to be with them when they need you? What do you see as the benefits to having a child now that make you not want to wait?

I’d also have a brief glance at the TTC threads. Around 15% of couples will have trouble conceiving, it can take years and various medical procedures. Unfortunately you can’t just chose when you have a child and it happen, how would you deal with that?

As said, if you can afford it, it’s doable but only you know how you’d deal with the possible Mum guilt of being torn between work and a child.

Hi 😊 just wondering if anyone can give advice on dummies/pacifiers.
I had my third baby on Thursday and haven't used dummy. I'm still nursing my 20 month old and now my newborn in tandem so thinking of getting one for my newborn to sooth her when I'm feeding my other child. I have managed to feed them at the same time (one on each side) a couple of times but it's not always going to be practical and also I like to have the one on one time with them.
I never felt the need to use them before because I would just use breast to sooth but I'm thinking it might be a good option now. However, I had heard that the downsides are they can cause dental problems and also then breaking the attachment when the child is older can be difficult. What's your experience? Any brands that you would recommend?
My little boy had a dummy until 8 months, we took it away after his top teeth started coming through as I didn't want it to cause any speech or dental issues and after a couple grouchy nights he was fine. I didn't want to have to take it off him once he had a real attachment to it

• Heart
Baby is less than a week, right? Sounds similar to me. My baby vomited browny/red stuff when he was a few days old and I was still in hospital so could ask. They checked and said it was old mucus from the birth that had just been sitting on his chest. Frightened the life out of me! It only happened once. I would keep an eye on it if baby seems ok otherwise but it never does any harm to mention to the midwife!
Yes she's 4 days old. She has definitely been bringing up mucus when sneezing as well but not bloody. Everything else is fine, peeing, pooing, no obvious discomfort so hopefully it is as you said or nipple bleed. I'll check it with the midwife for peace of mind. Thank you 🙏

Reactions: 2
If you’re approaching your 30s you’ve still got plenty of time!

Theres also the option of shared parental leave im not sure if you’ve looked into that? But basically you can share your maternity with your partner so you can go back to work earlier. Obviously it’s super personal as it depends on salaries and personal circumstances. Do you have family to use for childcare? Private childcare for babies is extremely expensive 😫 and the only govt help you would qualify for is tax free childcare (assuming both you and your partner work) However some workplaces offer childcare vouchers so you could look into that too!

There are so many options for you, but yeah it’s so hard to make a decision about something like this when you don’t know what to expect from having a baby!

There’s obviously a lot of horror stories out there from women who’s careers have been affected by taking time off to have a baby. So if you were worried that this might happen it would be a good idea to read up on all of the legal jargon about what employers can and can’t do with your job will your away. Have you heard of the insta page pregnant then screwed? The lady who runs it does loads of stuff around this so maybe give her a follow, she also has a book.

It’s doable think you need to ask yourself why you want to have a child soon. Once babies get into a routine they will often be asleep from 7pm to 7am. If you can’t take months off maternity and have a child in childcare for work hours, you’d run the risk of only seeing your child awake at weekends. Also, full time childcare averages around £40-50 a day depending where you live and much of your child’s development would be in someone else’s hands, would this be ok with you? If you had a child with extra needs, even just a bad sleeper or colicy baby, could you take time out to be with them when they need you? What do you see as the benefits to having a child now that make you not want to wait?

I’d also have a brief glance at the TTC threads. Around 15% of couples will have trouble conceiving, it can take years and various medical procedures. Unfortunately you can’t just chose when you have a child and it happen, how would you deal with that?

As said, if you can afford it, it’s doable but only you know how you’d deal with the possible Mum guilt of being torn between work and a child.
Also, this! It’s so personal but yeah basically if you and your partner were going back to work full time after a few months of baby being born a huge chunk of their development would be in someone else’s hands, and they change so much and so often in that first year.

In January I had to go back to work full time to secure my job so I could take my 2nd maternity leave starting in March, so had to put my 2 yr old in nursery full time for 3 months. She changed so much in this time and I felt so sad that I might have missed some firsts for her while she was at nursery! The mum guilt was real man.

You will literally get them out of bed, take them to nursery, pick them up and put them to bed for 5 days a week. I know it’s such a cliche but you really will never get that time back and it’s such an amazing thing to watch your little one grow you may regret it in years to come?

Don’t mean to lay it on thick but it’s really worth thinking about your situation emotionally as well as practically and financially.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I really think it depends on your own situation. My sister works long hours in her job, but she scaled back to 4days, her husband took flexi hours so starts very early to finish by 3pm, and our parents look after her child 2 days per week, so he is at nursery for 2, and still gets plenty of family time.

She held off having kids for a long time as she always said what’s the point if you never get to see them.

Hi everyone coming over here from the pregnancy threads as I just had my baby on Saturday 🥰 She is my second and we have been doing well since the birth, but I have been feeling such mum guilt for my 3 yr old daughter 😩 she loves her new baby sister and hasn’t shown any jealousy towards her but I can’t shake that guilt feeling and it’s getting me a bit down! Can anyone else relate thats went from 1 to 2, is this normal post birth hormones?

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi everyone coming over here from the pregnancy threads as I just had my baby on Saturday 🥰 She is my second and we have been doing well since the birth, but I have been feeling such mum guilt for my 3 yr old daughter 😩 she loves her new baby sister and hasn’t shown any jealousy towards her but I can’t shake that guilt feeling and it’s getting me a bit down! Can anyone else relate thats went from 1 to 2, is this normal post birth hormones?
I think that’s really normal, feeling that guilt. What I try and do for my toddler is carve out a little time just for us to do something together. So it might be reading together (usually I’m feeding the baby at the same time though), or if my husband has the baby settled then she and I will play outside as we normally would (well- I’m still at the stage of barely being able to do anything so I mostly just sit while she hares round the garden, but we chat!) Just making sure she is given those chances to be close with me. My older two don’t care the same way as they are at school much of the day anyway.

Also making sure to choose words carefully, so I really try never to say “oh I can’t because I’m feeding the baby” or similar, just so she doesn’t feel displaced. I would say something like “I don’t have a hand free now, I can do it in a second” or whatever fits best.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think that’s really normal, feeling that guilt. What I try and do for my toddler is carve out a little time just for us to do something together. So it might be reading together (usually I’m feeding the baby at the same time though), or if my husband has the baby settled then she and I will play outside as we normally would (well- I’m still at the stage of barely being able to do anything so I mostly just sit while she hares round the garden, but we chat!) Just making sure she is given those chances to be close with me. My older two don’t care the same way as they are at school much of the day anyway.

Also making sure to choose words carefully, so I really try never to say “oh I can’t because I’m feeding the baby” or similar, just so she doesn’t feel displaced. I would say something like “I don’t have a hand free now, I can do it in a second” or whatever fits best.
Thank you, she’s at nursery all week but I think I’m going to take her to the park and a cafe at the weekend just the two of us. I’ll probably not like leaving the baby at home but mabye it would be good for my husband too. Hopefully doing something like that with her will make me feel a bit better. I was lying awake last night thinking I need to try and not always talk about the baby to her as I felt I was doing it a lot (which adds to my guilt). I’m so annoyed I feel like this as the main reason for us having another child was to give her a sibling. Hopefully the feeling goes away when my hormones settle down 😕

• Heart
I have been exactly the same. More so before giving birth than now but it still keeps hitting me every so often.
I've been trying to make sure we do little things just me and her. Even little things like whilst my partner has the baby, we'll sit and play, or walk across to the shop or even just me taking her for a bath. And my partner does the same if I've got baby.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you, she’s at nursery all week but I think I’m going to take her to the park and a cafe at the weekend just the two of us. I’ll probably not like leaving the baby at home but mabye it would be good for my husband too. Hopefully doing something like that with her will make me feel a bit better. I was lying awake last night thinking I need to try and not always talk about the baby to her as I felt I was doing it a lot (which adds to my guilt). I’m so annoyed I feel like this as the main reason for us having another child was to give her a sibling. Hopefully the feeling goes away when my hormones settle down 😕
Don’t be too hard on yourself, you’ve just had a baby and the whole family will be adjusting to the new normal. It’s totally understandable that you feel the way you do - your eldest has always gotten 100% of you, now she can’t, and that just sounds so awful to hear. But I can hand on heart say that my kids having siblings is one of the best things I’ve ever done for them. Yes hard at times, especially the early days, but what they get from one another more than makes up for anything they lose out on by having to share me

• Heart
I partly also want to get her to take one as there's been some research that shows sleeping with a dummy reduces SIDS risk
From what I remember the study showed dummies being removed from children who already had a dummy increased the risk of SIDS not that the use of a dummy reduced the risk. I might be wrong.

To the OP if youre breast feeding I would hold off on a dummy for now just because it can (not always) reduce milk supply. Suckling a dummy particularly in the early days sets off a chemical reaction in the brain which can make the babies feel less hungry. They then feed less and the less milk removed the less you make. Youre feeding q 20 month old though so Id imagine your supply is going along nicely.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
i’m feeling exactly the same today about my daughter. Really felt guilty for not getting enough 1-2-1 time before baby arrived as i was so tired all the time.

But before baby i used to feel guilty when she was always playing by herself and wanted her to have a sibling that hopefully she will be close to.

as mums think we’ll have guilt no matter what

• Heart
as mums think we’ll have guilt no matter what
This is so very true. I asked my husband once does he feel guilty about stuff (gave examples of mum guilt) and he was like “no, why would I feel bad about that?” Mums carry so much burden from guilt!

Reactions: 6
Thanks everyone and sorry to read yous have been feeling the mum guilt too, it’s not nice! :( I was the same before I got pregnant I felt so guilty as she never had a sibling to play with and my best friend had 2 in under 2yrs and another close friend has twins.My husband said he’s also been feeling guilt for her which made me question whether it was the hormones or just a normal part of having more children.

Thanks everyone and sorry to read yous have been feeling the mum guilt too, it’s not nice! :( I was the same before I got pregnant I felt so guilty as she never had a sibling to play with and my best friend had 2 in under 2yrs and another close friend has twins.My husband said he’s also been feeling guilt for her which made me question whether it was the hormones or just a normal part of having more children.
I just kept thinking I'd ruined my kids lives when I went from 1 to 2 😂
But the way I've always tried to look at it is, you rarely hear people that do have siblings wish they didn't. But you very often hear people who have none say how much they wished they had siblings.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I had this so bad when I went from 1 to 2. I had my third baby on Thursday just gone and out of all of the transitions I definitely found going from 1 to 2 the hardest. It was when I had to learn to divide my attention with my eldest where as before I could give her my all. Then also the guilt of feeling that my second child would never be able to have the same time and attention that I had been able to give my eldest. It was tough. My eldest daughter loved her new baby sister but did go through a phase of being angry with me but, we got through it. I learnt to try and manage the juggle of having more than one child and as my 2nd child grew the two of them started to play together more and it became easier.
Though I still sometimes think back to that time and now feel guilt for how I felt at the time which I know is crazy 😖
I also had a slightly problematic pregnancy with my second and a traumatic birth so I was dealing with the recovery from that which added to my struggle.

I'm not sure if this helps at all but when I read your post I absolutely related, it's exactly how I felt two years ago.
Having just had my third it has been the sweetest experience seeing my two big girls interacting with the baby and watching them be a big sister team together has been so sweet and funny. Your little ones will be best friends before you know it and you will have your unique relationship with your new baby just like you have with your elder child 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.