New baby / post birth advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baby has been in a pattern of waiting up every 2.5-3hr at night, I stopped putting alarms on to wake up to feed him since he hit his birth weight and was getting in a routine naturally, but last night we both slept from 12am to 5am straight! He’s 5 weeks and still exclusively breast fed so woke up feeling so guilty and was so worried he was starving, is it normal for breastfed babies to have longer stretches of sleep this early on? Or was that too long? I think he’s making it up today though. Can’t get off the bloody boob!

Motherhood is so annoying, you crave for more sleep and when you get it, you end up worrying. 😅
As long as their over their birth weight it’s fine to let them sleep longer, they’ll wake if their hungry

We had to wake to feed every 3 hrs from start of last feed as a new born but once she was up to weight they said it was fine to leave her until she asked/woke
We had to wake to feed every 3 hrs from start of last feed as a new born but once she was up to weight they said it was fine to leave her until she asked/woke
As long as their over their birth weight it’s fine to let them sleep longer, they’ll wake if their hungry
Thanks ladies I’ll be grateful for the extra sleep. I’m sure it was probably a one off anyway!

Reactions: 1
Bless him, no direct experience but my friend said her son was uncomfortable with his penis. The doctor confirmed that he did have a large penis for his age and his foreskin was very tight which was causing him pain. That’s all I can remember for now so maybe take him to the doctors? X
Thank you, I’ll call them tomorrow. Would explain the crying maybe. He’s not quite old enough to tell me why he’s upset so it’s difficult just tells me where

• Heart
Thank you, I’ll call them tomorrow. Would explain the crying maybe. He’s not quite old enough to tell me why he’s upset so it’s difficult just tells me where
My friend had exactly the same problem, it was making the skin tight and was super uncomfortable for her son

• Heart
@moimoi I’ve never woken any of my babies to feed them (they usually woke themselves and me 😂), I think a 5hr stretch at 5 weeks is absolutely fine, and I wouldn’t worry at all. Hope you werent too full and sore, that’s the bad part of them sleeping longer stretches!

I have a bit of a sensitive issue and don’t really know where appropriate to ask but you guys always give the best advice so apologies it’s not new baby related but toddler related..
my son is 2.5 and keeps waking up from his nap distraught and pulling at his nappy because he has an erection. I’ve tried taking the nappy off thinking it was painful against it but then he wanted it back on and was even more upset I took it off. At the moment I’m just letting him cry it out as I don’t know what to do. Has anyone else had experience with this? It’s just the last 2 weeks but I feel a bit useless
I think a quick chat with the HV or GP may help put your mind at rest, I’ve no experience of this at all, but it sounds really distressing for you both ❤

• Heart
@moimoi I’ve never woken any of my babies to feed them (they usually woke themselves and me 😂), I think a 5hr stretch at 5 weeks is absolutely fine, and I wouldn’t worry at all. Hope you werent too full and sore, that’s the bad part of them sleeping longer stretches!
When I changed his nappy at 5am, I felt liquid run all down my leg. I thought he pissed on me but it was my boob leaking. 😅

I’m starting to think he’s a really lazy eater and/or I don’t have a huge supply. He’s very skinny, finally hit his birth weight after 4 weeks. On Weds I’m getting him weighed just to make sure he’s gaining ok but today I tried to express again, managed a whopping 40 mls in an hour on and off… 🙄 My partner has been giving him it and he’s fell asleep 3 times during it and there’s still about 5 mls left… I’m kind of hoping someone says to top up with formula just so I know he’s getting a good feed. I feel bad making that decision myself, I know I shouldn’t!

• Haha
Oh 😣 don’t feel like you’ve wasted your maternity leave at all!! You are doing more for your little ones than you probably realise. I don’t have any intentions to join baby groups with people I don’t know at the moment. Do you have any friends nearby with children? Or are you close by to family at all?
the fact that you are speakingup about this seems to be good I think. I think there is a lot of pressure on mums (& dads) to have to perform and take kids on amazing days out, it’s a really difficult thing to balance.
Thank you ladies. You’re all right- I should remember that lockdown and slowing down did my toddler no harm and me slowing down won’t do my baby any harm.

She slept through the night last night for the first time and now I feel a little more human and normal so maybe it’s all the tiredness catching up with me.

I did a work meeting yesterday afternoon which went terribly. I’m back to work in September and winding myself up in circles about it as my anxiety is suddenly sky high since my dads death. I think I know in my heart I need a little more support jusy don’t know where to get it. My family are all struggling with my dads death in their own way- 2 sisters haven’t even met my baby yet as they’re so angry that we may have given dad covid and so I’ve really only got my mum who is coming to terms with losing her husband of 50 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you ladies. You’re all right- I should remember that lockdown and slowing down did my toddler no harm and me slowing down won’t do my baby any harm.

She slept through the night last night for the first time and now I feel a little more human and normal so maybe it’s all the tiredness catching up with me.

I did a work meeting yesterday afternoon which went terribly. I’m back to work in September and winding myself up in circles about it as my anxiety is suddenly sky high since my dads death. I think I know in my heart I need a little more support jusy don’t know where to get it. My family are all struggling with my dads death in their own way- 2 sisters haven’t even met my baby yet as they’re so angry that we may have given dad covid and so I’ve really only got my mum who is coming to terms with losing her husband of 50 years.
No one knows how covid is spreading or jumping from one person to another so to blame u for that is low. I look after my gran and when it came in that you weren't allowed in each others houses I weighed the risks and decided she would die if I didnt see her everyday. People being separated from their loved ones did more damage to their mental health than anything. Dont ever regret the decisions that you made, it was out with your control. Enjoy your baby get all those cuddles in and domt worry about anyone else they usually come around

Reactions: 5
No one knows how covid is spreading or jumping from one person to another so to blame u for that is low. I look after my gran and when it came in that you weren't allowed in each others houses I weighed the risks and decided she would die if I didnt see her everyday. People being separated from their loved ones did more damage to their mental health than anything. Dont ever regret the decisions that you made, it was out with your control. Enjoy your baby get all those cuddles in and domt worry about anyone else they usually come around
Thank you. I do keep telling myself my dad would have hated to have spent his last year in isolation. We weren’t seeing them loads. They were jusy helping out so I could attend hospital appointments and my dr keeps reminding me no one knows who gave who it in the end.

Thank you for your kind words. I do hope you’re right about people coming round x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
When I changed his nappy at 5am, I felt liquid run all down my leg. I thought he pissed on me but it was my boob leaking. 😅

I’m starting to think he’s a really lazy eater and/or I don’t have a huge supply. He’s very skinny, finally hit his birth weight after 4 weeks. On Weds I’m getting him weighed just to make sure he’s gaining ok but today I tried to express again, managed a whopping 40 mls in an hour on and off… 🙄 My partner has been giving him it and he’s fell asleep 3 times during it and there’s still about 5 mls left… I’m kind of hoping someone says to top up with formula just so I know he’s getting a good feed. I feel bad making that decision myself, I know I shouldn’t!
I can see why it would be concerning that it took a little longer for him to get back to birth weight. Where I am, 4 weeks is seen as pretty standard, and midwives happily keep you in their care for 28 days for that reason (but discharge you sooner if birth weight reached). Have any of your hcp been worried? How are his wet and dirty nappies?

The main thing is he IS gaining weight. Please, please don’t think your supply is low because you can’t pump much. I’ve breastfed all 4 kids, 3 have been little chubby babies, and I’ve never been able to pump at all. I would be lucky to get an oz. Remember that your baby is so much more efficient at removing milk than a pump. When he’s feeding can you hear him actively swallowing for a few minutes? The fact that you were leaking after a few hours of him not feeding would say to me that you’ve got plenty in there 😊

I understand that you want to know how much he is getting, and giving a bottle definitely allows you that peace of mind so you shouldn’t feel bad about that! If you want to continue breastfeeding you should decide which feeds you want as formula and stick to it so you are breastfeeding at the same sort of times every day and protecting your supply. The problem with supplementing can be that your body then doesn’t make as much milk as there is less milk removal, so then you supplement more and it’s a vicious cycle.

I’m so sorry to hear about things with your family. That must be incredibly tough with a new baby x

• Heart

I can't imagine how difficult that must be and how you're probably feeling!
It does sound like you feel like you carry some blame, especially when you've got people actively blaming you!
Maybe it would be a good idea for you to talk to someone? Maybe for bereavement? It's hard enough dealing with someone's death, nevermind having people blame you for it! ❤

• Heart
Hi ladies

My baby boy is 4 months old, he was born 5 weeks early and I weighed him today and he is only 11lb 4oz.
I’m worried he’s not putting enough weight on for his age!
He rarely finishes his feeds, we make up 180ml but he often leaves about 50-60mls in the bottle and he’s asleep
What would you recommend I do? Take him to the doctors ? Or wake him up to continue his feed? It’s so hard cause he’s just such a chilled baby I don’t want to distress him.

My pregnancy and birth were horrendous, to the point I am having therapy for PTSD. Both me and my son nearly died in the process of the birth and I missed his first 48 hours as I was in ICU recovering. I didn’t have skin to skin as I was asleep and my husband wasn’t allowed in the operating theatre as I had a C-section under general anaesthesia!
Because of my pregnancy & birth being so bad I really want to be pregnant again so I can have a 2nd chance to do it right..my boy was conceived by IVF because I am infertile so the chances of this happening are very very very slim. I couldn’t afford to pay for a round of IVF, this round was funded by the NHS.
I feel like I was completely robbed of the beautiful experience of creating a baby, carrying a baby and the birth. I just feel like I want to do it again cause I loved the newborn stage, my boy is getting so big now and is changing everyday, he is my little miracle baby but I just feel like I haven’t got as big of a bond with him as much if I had had a ‘normal’ birth.
Hope this makes some sort of sense, it’s nice to get it off my chest.
I have contacted the birth trauma association & birth reflections at my local hospital today for some help, I think i am ready to reach out for help now and talk about what happened and how I’m feeling…

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi ladies

My baby boy is 4 months old, he was born 5 weeks early and I weighed him today and he is only 11lb 4oz.
I’m worried he’s not putting enough weight on for his age!
He rarely finishes his feeds, we make up 180ml but he often leaves about 50-60mls in the bottle and he’s asleep
What would you recommend I do? Take him to the doctors ? Or wake him up to continue his feed? It’s so hard cause he’s just such a chilled baby I don’t want to distress him.

My pregnancy and birth were horrendous, to the point I am having therapy for PTSD. Both me and my son nearly died in the process of the birth and I missed his first 48 hours as I was in ICU recovering. I didn’t have skin to skin as I was asleep and my husband wasn’t allowed in the operating theatre as I had a C-section under general anaesthesia!
Because of my pregnancy & birth being so bad I really want to be pregnant again so I can have a 2nd chance to do it right..my boy was conceived by IVF because I am infertile so the chances of this happening are very very very slim. I couldn’t afford to pay for a round of IVF, this round was funded by the NHS.
I feel like I was completely robbed of the beautiful experience of creating a baby, carrying a baby and the birth. I just feel like I want to do it again cause I loved the newborn stage, my boy is getting so big now and is changing everyday, he is my little miracle baby but I just feel like I haven’t got as big of a bond with him as much if I had had a ‘normal’ birth.
Hope this makes some sort of sense, it’s nice to get it off my chest.
I have contacted the birth trauma association & birth reflections at my local hospital today for some help, I think i am ready to reach out for help now and talk about what happened and how I’m feeling…
Regarding the weight, if you're worried, I'd say contact the health visitors? As they're always there. They can get you into a clinic to be properly weighed and they'll let you know if it's a concern. My daughter is almost 12 weeks though, and she's 10lb 15oz. And she was born 5 days over due. So his weight, especially being premature, sounds good to me, but I guess it's more down to what his birth weight was ect.

As for the birth thing, I was the complete opposite to you. My traumatic experience completely put me off having another and it took me 3 years to basically force myself into it and I still wasn't really ready. I was petrified. Everytime I thought about birth, I was having panic attacks.
I can't offer much advice but there is help out there as you said, you've already contacted them. And from a friends experience, it seems they do a good job!

The bonding thing though, make sure you discuss this with them too. However, I had always thought this and felt this way with bonding. Because I was busy comparing myself to everything you see. I never felt all that overwhelming love that people tell you about. I still don't really feel it now. I adore being a Mum but I can't say I've ever felt it. Obviously I'd never want anything bad to happen to them and I do love them. It's very hard to explain!

Reactions: 2
I can see why it would be concerning that it took a little longer for him to get back to birth weight. Where I am, 4 weeks is seen as pretty standard, and midwives happily keep you in their care for 28 days for that reason (but discharge you sooner if birth weight reached). Have any of your hcp been worried? How are his wet and dirty nappies?

The main thing is he IS gaining weight. Please, please don’t think your supply is low because you can’t pump much. I’ve breastfed all 4 kids, 3 have been little chubby babies, and I’ve never been able to pump at all. I would be lucky to get an oz. Remember that your baby is so much more efficient at removing milk than a pump. When he’s feeding can you hear him actively swallowing for a few minutes? The fact that you were leaking after a few hours of him not feeding would say to me that you’ve got plenty in there 😊

I understand that you want to know how much he is getting, and giving a bottle definitely allows you that peace of mind so you shouldn’t feel bad about that! If you want to continue breastfeeding you should decide which feeds you want as formula and stick to it so you are breastfeeding at the same sort of times every day and protecting your supply. The problem with supplementing can be that your body then doesn’t make as much milk as there is less milk removal, so then you supplement more and it’s a vicious cycle.
Thank you for the reassurance, you give the best advice here! No, no one seems really worried yet. I think if he didn’t hit his weight after 4 weeks they were gonna suggest a top up, but he finally managed to.. just!

We’re going through wet and dirty nappies like they’re going out of fashion, so no issues there. I would also assume if he wasn’t getting enough, he’d be crying the house down but he seems fine!!

I bought one of those manual pumps from Aldi for £2.49 and it manages to collect more than my electric pump, but still a dismal amount. It’s so annoying, it’d make life so much more easier I could pump well!

I guess I’ll see tomorrow at the weigh-in if he’s managing to put enough on. 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 2
can I ask for advice on naps? I’ve really not tried to get into a strict routine but we’ve kind of just... fell into one. Baby is nearly 15 weeks and he’s feeding roughly every 3-4 hours apart from overnight where he only wakes up once between 6pm & 7am

He’s getting a decent amount of naps in the day, he’s still napping between each feed. Sometimes it’s 45 mins and other times it’s up to 2 hours but I get a bit confused as to what to do at this time...

for example, I fed him today at 3.30,played with him a bit and then put him in the bath. By 5pm he’s absolutely knackered... do I try and do a bit of a dream feed at 7pm or should I wait for him to wake up, feed him and then properly put him to bed?

Regarding the weight, if you're worried, I'd say contact the health visitors? As they're always there. They can get you into a clinic to be properly weighed and they'll let you know if it's a concern. My daughter is almost 12 weeks though, and she's 10lb 15oz. And she was born 5 days over due. So his weight, especially being premature, sounds good to me, but I guess it's more down to what his birth weight was ect.

As for the birth thing, I was the complete opposite to you. My traumatic experience completely put me off having another and it took me 3 years to basically force myself into it and I still wasn't really ready. I was petrified. Everytime I thought about birth, I was having panic attacks.
I can't offer much advice but there is help out there as you said, you've already contacted them. And from a friends experience, it seems they do a good job!

The bonding thing though, make sure you discuss this with them too. However, I had always thought this and felt this way with bonding. Because I was busy comparing myself to everything you see. I never felt all that overwhelming love that people tell you about. I still don't really feel it now. I adore being a Mum but I can't say I've ever felt it. Obviously I'd never want anything bad to happen to them and I do love them. It's very hard to explain!
Thank you for your reply!

Yeah I think I will contact the HV this week, although he has a GP appointment Thursday for his flat head (it never ends 😭) so will ask them too.

It’s weird cause I also get panic attacks now and again thinking about it , but when I’m having a really positive day I’m thinking about another baby to be able to do it all again..then again I have zero control over how it’s going to be and do I really want to go through all of that again at the risk of my life and my babies life?

I know what you mean about the bonding thing, I don’t feel the same as some mums on my social media, getting upset about leaving them for a few hours or over protective over who holds him etc.. don’t get me wrong I love being a mum, Christ I’ve been to hell and back to get here but I do find some days difficult and I do appreciate an hour or two to just nip out and do something for myself while he’s with his dad. A friend of mine has a 15 month old and she only just this week let his dad take him to the park on their own, she was crying cause she missed him , I can’t relate as I make sure my husband has lots of time with his son especially at the weekend, I will join them of course but if I go off and do the food shop they like to go out for a walk or to visit friends/family. It just works for us..

• Heart
Thank you for your reply!

Yeah I think I will contact the HV this week, although he has a GP appointment Thursday for his flat head (it never ends 😭) so will ask them too.

It’s weird cause I also get panic attacks now and again thinking about it , but when I’m having a really positive day I’m thinking about another baby to be able to do it all again..then again I have zero control over how it’s going to be and do I really want to go through all of that again at the risk of my life and my babies life?

I know what you mean about the bonding thing, I don’t feel the same as some mums on my social media, getting upset about leaving them for a few hours or over protective over who holds him etc.. don’t get me wrong I love being a mum, Christ I’ve been to hell and back to get here but I do find some days difficult and I do appreciate an hour or two to just nip out and do something for myself while he’s with his dad. A friend of mine has a 15 month old and she only just this week let his dad take him to the park on their own, she was crying cause she missed him , I can’t relate as I make sure my husband has lots of time with his son especially at the weekend, I will join them of course but if I go off and do the food shop they like to go out for a walk or to visit friends/family. It just works for us..
Hopefully you can get the support you need!

It is very nice to see someone who feels the same about the bonding thing though. Nice to know I'm not weird haha 😂 I am exactly the same as you though!

can I ask for advice on naps? I’ve really not tried to get into a strict routine but we’ve kind of just... fell into one. Baby is nearly 15 weeks and he’s feeding roughly every 3-4 hours apart from overnight where he only wakes up once between 6pm & 7am

He’s getting a decent amount of naps in the day, he’s still napping between each feed. Sometimes it’s 45 mins and other times it’s up to 2 hours but I get a bit confused as to what to do at this time...

for example, I fed him today at 3.30,played with him a bit and then put him in the bath. By 5pm he’s absolutely knackered... do I try and do a bit of a dream feed at 7pm or should I wait for him to wake up, feed him and then properly put him to bed?
I have absolutely no advice, but if it’s working for you all. You have plenty of wet/dirty nappies and babies gaining well go with it for now…
We were finding something similar with my little one and then it suddenly shifted over the course of 2 weeks around the 14/15 week mark and now we’re in a routine that’s shifted around which seems more practical for bedtime if that makes sense!

I can’t help much about the naps as my girl is hard to get to nap during the day if she does it’s only ever half an hr 45 minutes, I try to get her to go for one late morning around 10/11 and then again in the afternoon around 2/3 sometimes she goes sometimes she doesn’t, shes bad for fighting her sleep she’s 4 months, we never got her into a night time routine either she just fell into one. She goes to bed between 7 and 8 has a 8oz bottle before bed then she would sometimes start to waken again around 11 half 11 before we go to bed so we usually feed and change her again and she goes straight back down and that’s her till about 7am but we don’t wake her at 11 if she’s not wakening herself if she’s fast asleep we’ll leave her until she wakens herself, if he’s hungry he’ll wake for it

Hmm maybe I’m overthinking it a bit then 🙈 plus his”routine” he’s in at the minute is bound to change by tomorrow judging on how unpredictable babies are 😆

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.