New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Little one went to bed at 7.30pm! Slept like a dream till 4am. Hubby bought her into our room, like we normally do, dumped her on me, rolled over and went to sleep.
It's now 5.30am, I'm on the sofa with baby, who decided she didn't want sleep, she wants a bottle (unheard of overnight for months), to babble away and to play.
Today is gonna be a long day 😫

• Heart
Reactions: 4
For those with older ones- do you ever put them down to sleep on their stomachs? She always gets herself into that position and she has this weird reflex where rolling = jump up to stand and wide awake. Tempted to put her down on her front as she has no issues falling asleep it’s always bloody rolling that wakes her up. She’s 11 months old and I think the advice is to put them down on their fronts from 1.

For those with older ones- do you ever put them down to sleep on their stomachs? She always gets herself into that position and she has this weird reflex where rolling = jump up to stand and wide awake. Tempted to put her down on her front as she has no issues falling asleep it’s always bloody rolling that wakes her up. She’s 11 months old and I think the advice is to put them down on their fronts from 1.
Baby Skates is 9 months and I put him down on his side.

So we’re all back to waking in the night then? We’ve woken for a 2am bottle the last three nights. Friday he hadn’t had much milk, Saturday he went to bed earlier so missed his last bottle so I was expecting it both nights, but last night he had a 9:30 bottle, and still woke up for another at 2am🫠

Reactions: 3
The resentment I have for my hubby is through the roof.
I've been laid on the sofa with the baby who finally went back to sleep, he stayed in bed, emerging only when it was time for him to leave for work. And then he wondered why I was mad and upset.
Oh & to top it off, he woke the baby up!!! So now I can't even enjoy my chill on the sofa 😡

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My 13month old has been waking at 4am every morning and it’s just bleeping up the whole day she’s ready for bed when we should be leaving for work, I’m exhausted I can’t remember when I had a full nights sleep for context she goes to bed at 9pm and was sleeping through to about 3 weeks ago but now from 1 am she’s rolling about the cot if I can get the dummy in she can stay down a while longer but she can be up anytime from then rolling about gurning I’m getting a couple of hrs if I’m lucky then it’s up and down and I struggle to get back to sleep. It’s making me so angry I’m starting to loose my tit
Baby bandit keeps waking fully in the night and it's so frustrating - I've found that if a nappy change/bottle don't send him back to sleep then standing up and bouncing/rocking him rhythmically usually sends him back to sleep, and then I sit down cuddling him for a while to make sure he's full asleep before gently transferring him. The broken nights are so much harder after a run of good nights!
---
The resentment I have for my hubby is through the roof.
I've been laid on the sofa with the baby who finally went back to sleep, he stayed in bed, emerging only when it was time for him to leave for work. And then he wondered why I was mad and upset.
Oh & to top it off, he woke the baby up!!! So now I can't even enjoy my chill on the sofa 😡
I'm so sorry, I really hope your day gets better ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Baby bandit keeps waking fully in the night and it's so frustrating - I've found that if a nappy change/bottle don't send him back to sleep then standing up and bouncing/rocking him rhythmically usually sends him back to sleep, and then I sit down cuddling him for a while to make sure he's full asleep before gently transferring him. The broken nights are so much harder after a run of good nights!
---

I'm so sorry, I really hope your day gets better ❤
These broken nights are killing me. My little one is 10.5 months and since 5 weeks old we have nearly always had full nights sleep.
Last night even coming into my bed didn't help. She ended up playing with her toys for a bit because she was so awake.

I don't drink coffee, but today I really wish I did!

• Heart
These broken nights are killing me. My little one is 10.5 months and since 5 weeks old we have nearly always had full nights sleep.
Last night even coming into my bed didn't help. She ended up playing with her toys for a bit because she was so awake.

I don't drink coffee, but today I really wish I did!
Baby bandit will be 10 months this week and he's had a few nights where he's fully slept through with no re-settling required, but normally on a good night he needs me to pop in 2-3 times to put his dummy back in and stroke his cheek/pat his bum etc but recently with teething/tummy/sleep regression/being extra clingy it feels like I live in his room and any time I'm able to sneak back to bed and get an hour or two is a miracle! People had said about the wonder weeks leaps and everything he was doing matched a specific leap (can't remember which one), but I'm really hoping the leap ends soon 😅

• Heart
Baby bandit will be 10 months this week and he's had a few nights where he's fully slept through with no re-settling required, but normally on a good night he needs me to pop in 2-3 times to put his dummy back in and stroke his cheek/pat his bum etc but recently with teething/tummy/sleep regression/being extra clingy it feels like I live in his room and any time I'm able to sneak back to bed and get an hour or two is a miracle! People had said about the wonder weeks leaps and everything he was doing matched a specific leap (can't remember which one), but I'm really hoping the leap ends soon 😅
Ours is leap related too I think. That and the end of an ear infection & cold. It all just came at once. I love her to bits but I just don't feel like I can give her my all when I'm so tired.

• Heart
We had a wake at 10.30, 1.30, 4.30. Exhausted today and his routine for the day is all out of whack now nap wise 😤

• Heart
  • Sad
Anyone have experience with projectile vomiting? Baby has done it twice within 24 hours, he's feeding ok otherwise maybe a little shorter than usual but I'm not sure if it's concerning. A lot of milk came out as he was feeding
No projectile vomiting but my baby has recently been bringing up quite a bit of milk whilst feeding (when being burped) and spitting up after. She did a HUGE poonami the night before last too. I do wonder, and this might be a ridiculous question, how long they have loose poos for as babies. I’m guessing whilst just on milk poos will be loose ? Or should I expect a more solid poo?

Reactions: 1
Survived a weekend of both adults in the house being ill with a nasty cold for the first time. Not great but feeling better today and I can finally breathe properly again.

I am stuck in what seems to be a bottomless pit of advice and judgement regarding taking him off bottles. NHS guidance says that after 1 they shouldn't have any bottles at all, just "an open cup or a free-flow cup without a valve" but how do we do his pre-bed bottle? I am so confused. At meals he gets either a Munchkin 360 or an open cup (with lots of supervision as he throws both of them around with gay abandon - he can't hold the open cup because it immediately gets poured all over him) but the NHS guidance also says that:

"Once your baby is 1 year old, feeding from a bottle should be discouraged.

When using a bottle or trainer cup, do not put anything in it other than breast milk, formula milk or water, and do not add anything else (including sugar, cereals, baby rice or chocolate powder) to the feed."

So do we take him off formula and milk completely? We've been carrying on with what we were doing so far because my head cannot get what we're meant to do. We've been weaning his formula down to cows milk over the last couple of weeks (as nursery will give cows milk, but not formula unless we provide it, and he doesn't really need it now anyway even though actually he doesn't eat much as he refuses to chew and spits most of his meals out unless it's a summer fruits rice cake) but should we be giving that in an open cup? Or the munchkin? But then the guidance above suggests he shouldn't have cows milk in a different cup.

I was about to order a couple more Munchkin 360 cups but then couldn't figure out if they count as free flow cups because he has to suck to pull the water out. He can drink from the open cups, and now gets most of it in his mouth (tbh drinking from an open cup is one of the few things he's quite good at if you hold it for him) but it's just impossible to give him one if you don't want 95% of the liquid all over yourself.

ETA - I had a bit of a cry over the weekend because it feels like the only way to get him to sleep is to give him a bottle (he has one before his nap and one before bed, sometimes one in the afternoon too). Feel like we've failed him some how as all the advice is not to feed to sleep?

• Heart
No projectile vomiting but my baby has recently been bringing up quite a bit of milk whilst feeding (when being burped) and spitting up after. She did a HUGE poonami the night before last too. I do wonder, and this might be a ridiculous question, how long they have loose poos for as babies. I’m guessing whilst just on milk poos will be loose ? Or should I expect a more solid poo?
I think they don't get solid until they're eating food but don't quote me on that

Survived a weekend of both adults in the house being ill with a nasty cold for the first time. Not great but feeling better today and I can finally breathe properly again.

I am stuck in what seems to be a bottomless pit of advice and judgement regarding taking him off bottles. NHS guidance says that after 1 they shouldn't have any bottles at all, just "an open cup or a free-flow cup without a valve" but how do we do his pre-bed bottle? I am so confused. At meals he gets either a Munchkin 360 or an open cup (with lots of supervision as he throws both of them around with gay abandon - he can't hold the open cup because it immediately gets poured all over him) but the NHS guidance also says that:

When using a bottle or trainer cup, do not put anything in it other than breast milk, formula milk or water, and do not add anything else (including sugar, cereals, baby rice or chocolate powder) to the feed."

So do we take him off formula and milk completely? We've been carrying on with what we were doing so far because my head cannot get what we're meant to do. We've been weaning his formula down to cows milk over the last couple of weeks (as nursery will give cows milk, but not formula unless we provide it, and he doesn't really need it now anyway even though actually he doesn't eat much as he refuses to chew and spits most of his meals out unless it's a summer fruits rice cake) but should we be giving that in an open cup? Or the munchkin? But then the guidance above suggests he shouldn't have cows milk in a different cup.

I was about to order a couple more Munchkin 360 cups but then couldn't figure out if they count as free flow cups because he has to suck to pull the water out. He can drink from the open cups, and now gets most of it in his mouth (tbh drinking from an open cup is one of the few things he's quite good at if you hold it for him) but it's just impossible to give him one if you don't want 95% of the liquid all over yourself.

ETA - I had a bit of a cry over the weekend because it feels like the only way to get him to sleep is to give him a bottle (he has one before his nap and one before bed, sometimes one in the afternoon too). Feel like we've failed him some how as all the advice is not to feed to sleep?
I’m SO glad you posted this, because all the cup stuff has been confusing me too!!!! My little one is only 7 months, so at the moment he has a ‘normal’ cup at meal times - we have to offer and hold it as of course he’d launch it on the floor otherwise. But I don’t understand where we go from here, so I’m interested to see what everyone else says!!

• Heart
Apparently naps aren’t happening today either 🙄
It was the same here until 11am she finally crashed. Today's routine is screwed since we have the dentist & she will end up having a late lunch 😫
Someone pass me the cake!

Just want to say in exactly the same predicament as you. Very confused. About to introduce an open flow cup (supervised). She drinks out of a munchkin 360 and Tommee tippee fine but confused about the bottle as well. It gives her comfort, was thinking of giving her bedtime milk in a bottle for however long she needs it but unsure about milk during the day as she’s still on 3-4 bottles of milk a day at 11 months.
I feed to sleep and no intention of stopping- it works (less and less 🥴 but we have an ok routine of milk then dummy) before sleep. From next week I’m going to start giving her some cow’s milk for maybe her afternoon milk but not sure in what type of bottle/cup. Not heard from the HV- thought we were meant to have a 9 month check and this is something I could really use some bloody advice on.

• Heart

Baby L still has a morning and bedtime bottle, we are working towards doing them from a cup instead (not an open cup haha we have the same problem as you). Maybe a free flow sippy cup. Still haven't had his flipping 1yr health visitor check yet so I await their judgement!

We found this helpful on types of cups to look for https://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2021/06/what-are-the-best-cups-for-babies-and-toddlers/ We got baby L the tum tum cup and he has just got the hang of a straw which is very exciting. The design of the straw means it doesn't come all pouring out when he turns it upside down which is good.

I was awake until 3 am because baby L woke up just as I was falling asleep 😭

• Heart
Apparently naps aren’t happening today either 🙄
Id love mine to take a nap as well! We’ve been up since 7. I’m still getting over whatever I’ve been ill with for the last week and baby was tired so I tried putting him down for first nap an hour ago and he just wouldn’t stop crying, so given up, gave calpol as possibly teething and now sat on sofa letting him watch tv so I can have a few minutes

we just barely survived the last week both ill and looking after baby, bloody hard isn’t it 😭

yeah the cup thing ive found confusing, mine is 13months now and we’re still using bottles atm but fully cows milk and he’s fine with it cold. I’ve been trying to give the afternoon bottle in a munchkin 360, as it’s the most chill time of day to try it, and we’ve not had much luck yet, he gets so far and then refuses to drink more from it so I pour into a bottle and continue. He gets on fine with those cups at meal times but I guess it’s just confusing when he’s used to having milk in a bottle. I guess I just keep trying with it and he’ll eventually get the idea. I don’t know 🥲

I guess you just have to give things a try and find something that works for both you and baby?

@themuffinwoman I'm the same as you. We feed to sleep & it works so I'm not ready to change it.
I've set a goal of by 18 months to be using a cup instead of a bottle, because tbh my little one loves to take water from a cup and then spit it out as far as it can go. It's her new game & I am not ready for that with milk 🤣
I've the HV coming on Wednesday (last time I'll see then apparently) so I'm hoping they have some advice or guidance

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.