New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, sorry just popping over from the pregnancy thread again 🙈 can any csection mums tell me whether I’ll benefit from a peri bottle?? I keep seeing how they’re essential on TikTok’s of hospital bags but I don’t know if this is just for vaginal births or whether I’ll benefit after a csection too.

While I’m here, any post csection essentials I should be stocking up on? I only know 1 person who’s had one well enough to speak to about it and she’s the least prepared and organised person I’ve ever known so can’t really ask her!!
I had an emergency c section - my peri bottle was untouched and useless. Prune juice/stool softener is 100% useful. High waisted elasticated loose trousers. For sleep, loose nighties or big t shirts. M&S high waisted full briefs were perfect post cs. A good firm pillow for your bed, it will hurt to sit up afterwards so I spent a lot of time propped up. And it's easy to say now but, walk walk walk, it really does make it better.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you!
I was hoping to ditch the lactulose after birth 😭 I’ve been on it since 14 weeks because of also taking ondansetron and it makes me gag but I guess I’ll have to suck it up and get another bottle 😂

All the other tips are great! Thanks 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi, sorry just popping over from the pregnancy thread again 🙈 can any csection mums tell me whether I’ll benefit from a peri bottle?? I keep seeing how they’re essential on TikTok’s of hospital bags but I don’t know if this is just for vaginal births or whether I’ll benefit after a csection too.

While I’m here, any post csection essentials I should be stocking up on? I only know 1 person who’s had one well enough to speak to about it and she’s the least prepared and organised person I’ve ever known so can’t really ask her!!
Hey, I didn’t use the peri bottle I had, I can’t see it being much use tbh! As others have said definitely big huge knickers, lactulose or actual laxatives, chewing gum is meant to really help with trapped wind too. Also a foot stall to put your feet up for the first 💩

Reactions: 3

I just got a couple of packs of flannels to use to dry the area after a shower so I wasn’t using my normal towel on it to risk infection. I also second massive pants, but make sure that they’re not cotton and not the like microfibre (?) material as a pad doesn’t stick to those.

I also had a big cushion to rest baby on to help me with feeding in the first few days.

I had one packed in my hospital bag but ended up with emergency c section so it went unused and a waste of money 🤣
I really recommend the tena lady pull ups for the first week or two. After that I moved to big knickers and pads. Stock up on pain relief. Drink lots of water - I packed 2 water bottles so my partner could keep topping them up for me.
If you plan to bf you might want some sort of nursing pillow.
At home try to have everything up AND down stairs. The stairs were the hardest part I found. So stocking bits in both locations meant less trips required
Oh, and as soon as they suggest getting up in hospital I’d go for it. They’re not expecting you to walk miles, but the sooner you can take a few steps the better!
Good luck 🥰

• Heart

Another vote to get lactulose for straight after 😂 x

• Haha
Reactions: 1

Definitely try and move around a bit as soon as they clear you to get up. If you sit around a lot you will stiffen up and it will make it harder when you do need to move. I'm not saying go run a marathon, but a little walk to the kitchen for a drink or a biscuit every so often will definitely help.

I had an emergency section with my first, and I'd heard so many horror stories, but it's not always awful. I recovered quite quickly, and I put it down to staying mobile, keeping most visitors away for a couple of weeks, and keeping on top of looking after the incision site.

Keep a pillow handy to hold to your stomach for coughing and sneezing. I also found it handy to keep a little cushion in the car for holding to my stomach for roundabouts and big corners, and ask whoever is driving you around to take it steady to start with. It wasn't so much painful, but a weird sensation like my organs were flying around inside 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Like everyone else is saying get up and mobile ASAP! I've had 2 sections one emergency and one elective and recovered quickly from both and I was up and moving as soon as I could!
Definitely high waist pants. I still live in them 🤣
I stockpiled paracetamol and ibuprofen for my elective but I still have most of it 🤣 so I'd say get a few boxes of each. Have snacks ready for after cos I was starving after my elective 🤣
---
WHY DO THEY DO THIS
---

Huge pants, huge water bottle, and lactulose lol.
Honestly I feel like I'm forever turning lights off, especially before the nursery run 😅
Men are blind. I've came to that conclusion
---
WHY DO THEY DO THIS
---

Huge pants, huge water bottle, and lactulose lol.
Honestly I feel like I'm forever turning lights off, especially before the nursery run 😅
Men are blind. I've came to that conclusion

• Heart
Yes!!! My husband will get up and put the living room light on rather than open the curtains. Both are the same distance from his usual chair 😫
Ok why does Mr L do this with the kitchen!! Is it a man thing?

I bought a peri bottle, I think I only used it a couple of times TMI YOU'VE BEEN WARNED because I had complications with my bowels and it was sometimes easier just to rinse off than reach round to wipe.

I had an emergency c section, I would recommend grabbers/litter pickers for each floor of the house, lactulose (but they will most likely send you home with a huge bottle), these pads (I still use them for my periods 😅)
1000012952.png

• Heart
Evening ladies. Question. How often does your little new walker hit their head daily from walking? At least 5 times he’s wacked his head today 😫 he’s just constantly falling. Is this normal? He’s now got a bruise on his forehead because he fell into the door of his toy kitchen. Bloody kids 😭

• Heart
Evening ladies. Question. How often does your little new walker hit their head daily from walking? At least 5 times he’s wacked his head today 😫 he’s just constantly falling. Is this normal? He’s now got a bruise on his forehead because he fell into the door of his toy kitchen. Bloody kids 😭
Probably not helpful but maybe a helmet... I suppose it's the only way their going to learn as hard as it is to see them get hurt

Yes really normal. Hard to watch but I always tell myself it’s part of learning. Aka, I did this and it hurt and so let’s not do it again 😅

Mine isn’t even walking yet - just cruising a bit and pulling to stand and he falls/bumps himself constantly. Gonna be a riot when he is fully walking.

Reactions: 1
I’m always worried he’s going to have a bloody brain bleed or something 😂 he hardly ever cries when he does it! Me on the other hand 😂

• Heart

Lots of good advice here! I had an emergency section so I had various unused sprays and funky cooling pads. I would say plan practical things- everything you need keep at counter level, no bending down for at least a few weeks. Cook or buy meals in advance, put aside at least 15 mins a day to air out your scar. If you’ve got a next to me, it might be hard for you to pick baby up and have it on your side, so have it on your partner’s side or have baby in Moses basket for a few weeks. Keep on top of your pain meds and absolutely insist on taking some codeine home with you- you can get a bf-friendly form.
take it really really easy, clean your wound and keep mobile (but slowly!). You’ll be great :)

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.