New baby and post birth advice #40: All I want for Christmas is a good nights sleep

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone still losing tons of hair a year pp? Everytime I wash or brush mine I have enough falling out to make a wig! And KW keeps getting pissed I’m clogging the shower drain with it all!
was thinking maybe I should be taking supplements? 🤷‍♀️
So so so much hair. Nearly 6 months pp and actually wondering when it stops!
We put the tree away yesterday and I kept finding strands of my hair IN THE TREE. I feel like 90% of her diet is actually my hair.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
I’m a first time mum due in March - has anyone got any negatives about the prep machine or the nuby rapid cool? From friends I have been told they couldn’t live without the prep machine but I’m so torn because of the advice not to use by the nhs but haven’t actually heard any of these negative stories from any mums. Also the rapid cool I thought would be a good alternative but the way I’ve seen it used on TikTok (to stop the need for constant cleaning) is where only an ounce is boiling for the formula and the rest is put in the rapid cool so part of me thinks is this just the same as a prep machine I haven’t seen any nhs guidance on the rapid cool so I’m just a bit unsure and thought it would be good to get recommendations.
I actually work for the HV service and although we have to advise against using the prep machine I’ll be totally honest - I have one and couldn’t have survived without it 🤣 as long as you change the filter regularly, put it through a cleaning cycle regularly and just keep an eye out to make sure baby doesn’t have any apparent stomach issues when you’re using it then it’ll be fine ☺ I don’t know much about the rapid cool so couldn’t comment on that xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I actually work for the HV service and although we have to advise against using the prep machine I’ll be totally honest - I have one and couldn’t have survived without it 🤣 as long as you change the filter regularly, put it through a cleaning cycle regularly and just keep an eye out to make sure baby doesn’t have any apparent stomach issues when you’re using it then it’ll be fine ☺ I don’t know much about the rapid cool so couldn’t comment on that xx
Why do you have to advise against it x

Why do you have to advise against it x
They’re not recommended because the hot shot isn’t guaranteed to kill all of any potential bacteria in the formula (this can be why some little ones have stomach issues when using the prep machine) and also because if they’re not cleaned and maintained properly it can cause issues too - basically we are told to advise against it because not everyone is sensible enough to use it properly 🙈 but like I say I’ve had no issues at all with mine. In fact I’ll be tempted to slip people notes recommending it on the sly when they ask for bottle feeding advice 🤣 who has time to wait for the kettle to cool down when your baby is screaming the place down?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
They say there is no proof it is safe but the hot shot of water is hot enough to kill the vast majority of bacteria. They can't be seen to be promoting anything that makes formula easier and therefore might turn people off breastfeeding. I have the prep machine and have had no issues with it. Baby has never had tummy issues, almost 6 months of use.

Can anyone advise me when to give baby water on its own? Family members driving me mad and are giving baby water behind my back!! (edit to add i know water isn't that bad but it's leading to loose nappies and I just want to get some views on it 😊)

• Heart
They say there is no proof it is safe but the hot shot of water is hot enough to kill the vast majority of bacteria. They can't be seen to be promoting anything that makes formula easier and therefore might turn people off breastfeeding. I have the prep machine and have had no issues with it. Baby has never had tummy issues, almost 6 months of use.

Can anyone advise me when to give baby water on its own? Family members driving me mad and are giving baby water behind my back!! (edit to add i know water isn't that bad but it's leading to loose nappies and I just want to get some views on it 😊)
They can have it from 6 months. Baby definitely doesn’t need water if younger than 6 months

I had a google of our new superstition, and you are also not supposed to wash dishes. Fml. I can’t kill one of my household. I’m on strike x

• Haha

Sips of water with meals when you start weaning (boiled and cooled if before 6m, tap water is fine after 6m), no need for water as a drink other than with meals until they are 1. Formula/breastmilk should be the only drink they are having outside of mealtimes until they are 1 and only water with meals until then, not cows milk etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you so much for everyone’s tips, advice and recommendations! I really appreciate it and I think I’ve made my mind up to get one and see how we get on with it! Thank you again and happy new year to you all :)💜 xx

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think it just didn’t occur to me because my own children can’t open the kallax? Now I’ve thought about it, I have no idea why she can’t, she’s almost 4, I think it’s just become habit to ask for her to ask for what she wants. But therefore I’ve never need to ‘hide’ toys that are put away, because my own kids can’t access them 😂 plus I don’t know if it’s because I have two girls, or they’re just very gentle, but they’re just not very destructive. I happily keep pens / paints within their reach and haven’t had any disasters. Before the baby was mobile I’d also keep children’s scissors that my 3yo could use if she wanted to. Watching these other children made me realise clearly I’m lucky and that’s not the norm 😂
No some kids are just feral. Mine have always had free access to their stuff (we use the kallax as open shelves) and never tipped it everywhere like maniacs. And like you, free access to art materials with no issues. I wonder if when they go to other people’s houses some kids just get over excited? And also herd mentality?! Either way, you’ll know for next time!

Sort of on the topic of hair loss, the regrowth is literally making me want to pull my hair out! I have inch long tufts right the way round the front of my hairline, it looks horrendous. 🙃 The rest of my hair is waist length and mostly gets tied back cos of little grabby hands meaning the tufts are on full display!!

As above, from 6months. If baby is bottle fed you can give small sips in very hot weather (ie…not now 🤣) but other than that they don’t need it at all.
I’ve heard of family members sneaking babies a lot of things over the years, but gotta admit, water is a new one!!!

No some kids are just feral. Mine have always had free access to their stuff (we use the kallax as open shelves) and never tipped it everywhere like maniacs. And like you, free access to art materials with no issues. I wonder if when they go to other people’s houses some kids just get over excited? And also herd mentality?! Either way, you’ll know for next time!
We had 3 3yo here last night, and couldn’t see the floor through all the toys. 3yo does get some of his toys out and doesn’t put them away, but last night was another level. Saw toys I haven’t seen in a year 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
We have no food in the house and the words "I could make us a lentil, ham soup" actually just came out of my mouth. Suffice to say, OH nearly divorced me before we've even wed.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
We had 3 3yo here last night, and couldn’t see the floor through all the toys. 3yo does get some of his toys out and doesn’t put them away, but last night was another level. Saw toys I haven’t seen in a year 😂
I do think herd mentality is a scary one. My kids will join the chaos if it’s started by someone else.

We have no food in the house and the words "I could make us a lentil, ham soup" actually just came out of my mouth. Suffice to say, OH nearly divorced me before we've even wed.
You really enjoy punishing yourself don't you?
Lantern proceeds to make the soup, cocks it up and by 3pm is rocking back and fourth in the corner praying to the tinned soup gods

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.