New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
eW have to make sure Everleigh gets calcium from other things. Not because of intolerance but she just flat out refuses all milks.
Only way we can get a bit of milk into her is a cup of tea 😂 which limits it greatly.
Shes been like this from around 6 months. She was originally having a night time bottle of around 4oz. But she's refused that for the past 6 months too.
We have managed it so far!
Gap in the market for calcium water let’s go into business 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Just sent the 3yo and baby to the shops with Mr B so I can sneak some chocolate in peace

ETA I’ve just realised I’ve eaten my bed time chocolate 🫠 hope Mr B brings some more back

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Mama Waka, back in the olden days of like 2010 I used to buy hemp milk sometimes, you still see it around sometimes but I think it’s mostly been squeezed out back to the sandal vegan health shops of the world as the more popular alt milks have squeezed it out 😂 could be worth a try if you run across it, although I absolutely understand that you’ve probably got milk fatigue.

Congrats @LongishCat 👏🏽

Anyone got any good baby things in the Black Friday sales? I finally bought a simple buggy, we will use it but it’s mainly for my dad doing nursery runs for us. And I got him some Christmas socks, I’d put it off as a waste but he’s losing socks so often anyway that I figured why not.

• Heart
With the 30 free hours childcare, does it start from when they’re 3 until they start reception? So Baby Rose is a June baby so she’ll turn 3 in June 2024 and start reception in September 2025, so she’ll only get a year of it, whereas if shed been born the October before (so same school year) she’d turn 3 in October 2023 but still not start reception until September 2025,l (early babies are almost 5 when they start whereas late babies haven’t long turned 4) so we’d get almost 2 years of it. Is that right?

Mama Waka, back in the olden days of like 2010 I used to buy hemp milk sometimes, you still see it around sometimes but I think it’s mostly been squeezed out back to the sandal vegan health shops of the world as the more popular alt milks have squeezed it out 😂 could be worth a try if you run across it, although I absolutely understand that you’ve probably got milk fatigue.

Congrats @LongishCat 👏🏽

Anyone got any good baby things in the Black Friday sales? I finally bought a simple buggy, we will use it but it’s mainly for my dad doing nursery runs for us. And I got him some Christmas socks, I’d put it off as a waste but he’s losing socks so often anyway that I figured why not.
Not baby things but I did get a Zara dress I wanted for 40% off 🤣

Reactions: 1
With the 30 free hours childcare, does it start from when they’re 3 until they start reception? So Baby Rose is a June baby so she’ll turn 3 in June 2024 and start reception in September 2025, so she’ll only get a year of it, whereas if shed been born the October before (so same school year) she’d turn 3 in October 2023 but still not start reception until September 2025,l (early babies are almost 5 when they start whereas late babies haven’t long turned 4) so we’d get almost 2 years of it. Is that right?

Usually they go to school the term after they turn 4 I think so orange will start school I think jan 2025 free 30 hours from sept 2024 so I think they all get the same amount of free hours or am I being crayyyyzay

Usually they go to school the term after they turn 4 I think so orange will start school I think jan 2025 free 30 hours from sept 2024 so I think they all get the same amount of free hours or am I being crayyyyzay
I thought they started in September but for slightly younger ones you could defer a term if you wanted. I have no idea why this is baffling me so much 🤣

Yes, that's right, so the 30 hours starts for you from September 2024 and will run for that year whereas child born 9 months earlier would have their 30 hours start in the January 2024 I believe and run to the same point.

And with school age you're right in that most children start in the September that they are 4 but summer babies can defer.

Reactions: 1
I’m not sure about this. I have an October baby and she got the 30 free hours from the December 2020 to September 2022

Just found this online if that helps!

I don’t know if I’ve been reading it wrong but am I right in thinking if you're a SAHM you get 15 hours free childcare?
Yes - 30 hours are only if both parents work and earn over the minimum amount. All children are eligible for the 15 free hours though.

I’ll add you only get 30 hours a week if your child is only at nursery in term time only. If you need nursery 51 weeks a year (like I do) then it actually only works out as 21 hours a week

• Heart
Yes, that's right, so the 30 hours starts for you from September 2024 and will run for that year whereas child born 9 months earlier would have their 30 hours start in the January 2024 I believe and run to the same point.

And with school age you're right in that most children start in the September that they are 4 but summer babies can defer.
Well that seems a tad unfair, by virtue of having a summer baby I’ve got to pay an extra 9 months of nursery fees (I mean the whole system is unfair). Although I guess autumn babies would have started nursery earlier so it probably evens out?

Yes - 30 hours are only if both parents work and earn over the minimum amount. All children are eligible for the 15 free hours though.

I’ll add you only get 30 hours a week if your child is only at nursery in term time only. If you need nursery 51 weeks a year (like I do) then it actually only works out as 21 hours a week
By then she’ll be doing 22 hours a week which is £800 a month so will be a huge saving even splitting it over 51 weeks! Counting down the days 🤣

You can also get 15 hours free from 2 years old if your household earn under a certain amount too. (think it's around 16k)
Again though, it's term time only. So if you go to a nursery all year round, the same as the 30 hours, it works out as less 😊

Everleigh will just miss out on an extra term by a week.
Cut off is 31st March and she's 8th April so has to wait until September 😂

For anyone with their children in nursery already, don't forget the tax free childcare the government offer to everyone 😊

You can also get 15 hours free from 2 years old if your household earn under a certain amount too. (think it's around 16k)
Again though, it's term time only. So if you go to a nursery all year round, the same as the 30 hours, it works out as less 😊

Everleigh will just miss out on an extra term by a week.
Cut off is 31st March and she's 8th April so has to wait until September 😂

For anyone with their children in nursery already, don't forget the tax free childcare the government offer to everyone 😊
As an addition to this you can use the tax free childcare along side your free hours too. My daughter goes to preschool 4 days a week, I only pay for 2 of those days and even then only 80% of the cost. After 2 years of paying for childcare I suddenly feel rich

Reactions: 4
Well that seems a tad unfair, by virtue of having a summer baby I’ve got to pay an extra 9 months of nursery fees (I mean the whole system is unfair). Although I guess autumn babies would have started nursery earlier so it probably evens out?

By then she’ll be doing 22 hours a week which is £800 a month so will be a huge saving even splitting it over 51 weeks! Counting down the days 🤣
Yeah I don't think it works out as unfair, I think it's too lessen the unfairness - in both examples the parents have to pay for their child's nursery bills in full until the term after they are 3 years old, so that's the same, effectively you're not losing anything or having to pay for more time, they are just getting more time funded because there is more time to pay until they attend school.

If you did it the other way and said, for example, that they would fund your place for 1 year before they attended school regardless of their age then people with September babies would end up having to pay for an extra 9 months of nursery compared to summer babies.

Does that make any sense?

And regardless of all that, our childcare funding system is atrocious and a total joke.

• Heart
My eldest was 3 last sep and got the 30 free hours in January. She starts school next sep (23)

I had one (very large 😝) glass of wine and I’ve got a headache today 😩 and he did the night feed so not like I haven’t slept. In other news I’m getting waxed today wooop feel like I’m lighting a fire it’s been nearly 3 months 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Yeah I don't think it works out as unfair, I think it's too lessen the unfairness - in both examples the parents have to pay for their child's nursery bills in full until the term after they are 3 years old, so that's the same, effectively you're not losing anything or having to pay for more time, they are just getting more time funded because there is more time to pay until they attend school.

If you did it the other way and said, for example, that they would fund your place for 1 year before they attended school regardless of their age then people with September babies would end up having to pay for an extra 9 months of nursery compared to summer babies.

Does that make any sense?

And regardless of all that, our childcare funding system is atrocious and a total joke.
Yeah completely - my gut was “oh that’s unfair I have to pay an extra 9 months” but actually say both babies start when they’re 1, then the September baby has the extra 9 months then so it’s actually totally equal. I typed before I engaged my brain 🤣
It’s a terrible system, the reason I was thinking about it at midnight was because I need baby to go into nursery more as I just can’t work from home with her now, but the only way I can make it work is if I get a second job a few evenings a week. So I basically need 2 jobs to pay for her to go to childcare so I can go to 1 job (we do have some high outgoings at the moment which make it a little trickier in fairness but still)

• Heart
Don’t forget your tax free childcare (if you haven’t already!).
Oh yeah I use it with my eldest 😘 x

Even that though I find complicated so I get the invoice every month from nursery then have to workout what 80% of that is, put that in the tax free gov childcare account then set the payment up to leave it to go straight to the nursery and the gov top it up automatically

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.