New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We don’t have a TV 🙈 I honestly don’t think it would help either, as he just doesn’t seem to enjoy food. Even sometimes you give him things he usually eats and he actually backs away from it (so dramatic 🤣)
He doesn’t like bread type things like brioche, toast etc. I was so surprised today when he ate the tiny bit of pancake because he usually flat out rejects bread stuffs. He’s a pain in the bum! Who doesn’t like toast?!?
My 6yo doesn’t like toast. Although he’s a fussy fucker and won’t let a vegetable touch his lips but loves fruit 👍🏼 (the more I think about it, he’s actually a lot fussier than the 3yo)
I don’t know why these kids hate food and sleep. What I would give to be a chubby, sleepy toddler 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
So frustrated! Like you said none of our others have been anything at all like this. Of course they are the usual kid fussy, certainly not perfect eaters, but they eat things! And actually would have eaten wonderfully at this age (19 months)
Also I get so worried for his wee body. He gets sick and it really lingers and I can only imagine it’s because his immune system is crap because he won’t eat.
I don’t feel like I can give much advice because you’re the queen of advice haha, but I’ve noticed mine eats less if she’s had more milk - so if she’s had lots of milk around 5/6am she won’t eat breakfast. I know it’s tricky because if they don’t eat then milk at least gives them so nutrients but I’ve found she gets in a cycle of not eating so I give her boob and then she’s not hungry etc etc. do you think maybe trying to limit boob would help? I honestly don’t know the answer btw but that’s just my experience so far

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My 6yo doesn’t like toast. Although he’s a fussy fucker and won’t let a vegetable touch his lips but loves fruit 👍🏼 (the more I think about it, he’s actually a lot fussier than the 3yo)
I don’t know why these kids hate food and sleep. What I would give to be a chubby, sleepy toddler 😂😂
I know, honestly they have the best life ever and they are just there, taking it for granted, complaining about it. Little sods 🤣

I don’t feel like I can give much advice because you’re the queen of advice haha, but I’ve noticed mine eats less if she’s had more milk - so if she’s had lots of milk around 5/6am she won’t eat breakfast. I know it’s tricky because if they don’t eat then milk at least gives them so nutrients but I’ve found she gets in a cycle of not eating so I give her boob and then she’s not hungry etc etc. do you think maybe trying to limit boob would help? I honestly don’t know the answer btw but that’s just my experience so far
It is definitely a large reason why none of my babies have ever eaten much breakfast, too stuffed with milk! But even on the Days I work and he is with my parents (so no boob all day) he doesn’t eat for them. My mum is tortured, she is such a feeder granny and it drives her mad that he won’t eat 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 3
We don’t have a TV 🙈 I honestly don’t think it would help either, as he just doesn’t seem to enjoy food. Even sometimes you give him things he usually eats and he actually backs away from it (so dramatic 🤣)
He doesn’t like bread type things like brioche, toast etc. I was so surprised today when he ate the tiny bit of pancake because he usually flat out rejects bread stuffs. He’s a pain in the bum! Who doesn’t like toast?!?
You poor thing, this sounds really hard and stressful. The extremity of it almost sounds a bit like ARFID (not to diagnose your child over a forum with no medical knowledge!) but would you consider trying to get a referral to dietetics? I'm sure there's a horrendous waiting list but maybe some professional help is called for.

I wish I could give you great advice as you're always there with the best advice for everyone else but it sounds like you've tried everything my little brain can think of!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So frustrated! Like you said none of our others have been anything at all like this. Of course they are the usual kid fussy, certainly not perfect eaters, but they eat things! And actually would have eaten wonderfully at this age (19 months)
Also I get so worried for his wee body. He gets sick and it really lingers and I can only imagine it’s because his immune system is crap because he won’t eat.
How is he with drinking water now? Would you be able to slide some sneaky vitamins into it so he's getting some that way?

Reactions: 1
How is he with drinking water now? Would you be able to slide some sneaky vitamins into it so he's getting some that way?
He does drink a little bit more than he used to, praise the lord, so we do try to get vitamins in to him that way. He does not approve 😬 🤣

You poor thing, this sounds really hard and stressful. The extremity of it almost sounds a bit like ARFID (not to diagnose your child over a forum with no medical knowledge!) but would you consider trying to get a referral to dietetics? I'm sure there's a horrendous waiting list but maybe some professional help is called for.

I wish I could give you great advice as you're always there with the best advice for everyone else but it sounds like you've tried everything my little brain can think of!
Funny I googled symptoms of ARFID yesterday, and it seems more common to diagnose in older kids from what I read. But yes, I think you’re right and I do need to refer to a dietician because at least then I’d know I’m doing everything I can, even if it doesn’t actually help, if that makes sense?
I think it’s been worse than ever this last week when we’ve all been sick with a stomach bug, and I think he is teething, so of course he isn’t eating much at all for those valid reasons. But I also think I’ve kind of had my head stuck in the sand about it for a while and need to start working to find some sort of way forward for him.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
He does drink a little bit more than he used to, praise the lord, so we do try to get vitamins in to him that way. He does not approve 😬 🤣

Funny I googled symptoms of ARFID yesterday, and it seems more common to diagnose in older kids from what I read. But yes, I think you’re right and I do need to refer to a dietician because at least then I’d know I’m doing everything I can, even if it doesn’t actually help, if that makes sense?
I think it’s been worse than ever this last week when we’ve all been sick with a stomach bug, and I think he is teething, so of course he isn’t eating much at all for those valid reasons. But I also think I’ve kind of had my head stuck in the sand about it for a while and need to start working to find some sort of way forward for him.
Sending you big hugs Mama Me❤
I was (still am) a nightmare with food, I drove my mum wild (still do😝)
I hope you both can get some answers and help! Xx

Reactions: 1
Also feeling the rage tonight. Baby only had 30 mins of nap today so was knackered and trying to go to sleep at tea time. Kept him up to eat and dealt with his cranky mood while getting him ready for bed as quickly as I could. Fed him to sleep on the sofa and was trapped under him for the night then.
KW came home from work just before 9pm and was noisy af and caused him to stir. He walked past me settling the baby back down and went in the kitchen. Then started shouting unnecessary questions through!!!?
And obv I didn’t reply as I was feeding the baby back to sleep. So he shouted louder.
Bing, little lad was AWAKE and buzzing after his two hour nap that should have been bedtime 😡

He got down for a play ffs. Came up with me at 10pm and still wasn’t ready for bed 😩 it’s been a loooong day.
Honestly why are they soooo loud and unaware of their volume, it drives me mad 🤯🤯🤯

Sending you big hugs Mama Me❤
I was (still am) a nightmare with food, I drove my mum wild (still do😝)
I hope you both can get some answers and help! Xx
My own diet isn’t great either 🤣 I can’t really blame him for wanting to survive on Pringles alone, when they are so damn tasty.

• Haha
We’ve had a dietician referral too, just waiting for my appointment.
Little crazy cat won’t eat anything at nursery at all.

• Heart
Snoop come at me 🤣

But yes, I think you’re right and I do need to refer to a dietician because at least then I’d know I’m doing everything I can,
Highly recommend getting referral, had an appt this morning and she put my mind at rest as there are no milks left for mini Waka and she won’t accept dairy free formulas but she reassured me and explained things I didn’t realise/think of

Attachments

• Heart
Snoop come at me 🤣

Highly recommend getting referral, had an appt this morning and she put my mind at rest as there are no milks left for mini Waka and she won’t accept dairy free formulas but she reassured me and explained things I didn’t realise/think of
Can she not have any milk at all? That is crazy, I’ve never heard of anyone with such bad intolerances as to rule all milks out before. She’s one of a kind! I’m glad your appointment put your mind at ease though, that’s great news.

Can she not have any milk at all? That is crazy, I’ve never heard of anyone with such bad intolerances as to rule all milks out before. She’s one of a kind! I’m glad your appointment put your mind at ease though, that’s great news.
Nope!
Not allowed rice milk until 5 (no reactions)
Soya milk - intolerance to soya (red rash on privates and diarrhoea)
Coconut milk - rash on face & privates
Oat milk - bloat, trapped wind and constipation
Pea milk - she can’t digest peas well, has ibs symptoms with peas, lentils, beans & grapes (crying in night, tummy rumbling and wind)
Sma plant based milk is made from peas and soya
She’s rejected neocate and smas formula for milk allergies
Alongside intolerance to egg
So now have to make sure she gets her calcium from food
Nursery think I’m mad
I didn’t bother with almond milk because obviously I’m not left with much hope 🤣

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Nope!
Pea milk - she can’t digest peas well, has ibs symptoms with peas, lentils, beans & grapes (crying in night, tummy rumbling and wind)
Nursery think I’m mad
I didn’t bother with almond milk because obviously I’m not left with much hope 🤣
Well, isn’t she the tricky customer!
I know it’s not really the same, but I have a friend from Czech Republic, and over there they all breastfeed, so when her eldest stopped breastfeeding at 9 months it wasn’t an option for her to move on to formula just because of how she’d been raised. So she made sure the little girl got all her calcium from food, and she’s now a totally normal 10yo. So it can definitely be done!

• Heart
Well, isn’t she the tricky customer!
I know it’s not really the same, but I have a friend from Czech Republic, and over there they all breastfeed, so when her eldest stopped breastfeeding at 9 months it wasn’t an option for her to move on to formula just because of how she’d been raised. So she made sure the little girl got all her calcium from food, and she’s now a totally normal 10yo. So it can definitely be done!
Awww, that’s reassuring. The dietician has sent me a sheet with where we can get the calcium from but she only has 4 front teeth so boiled spinach and kale aren’t great options right now 😂 I thought I was malnourishing her so at least now I can focus on just calcium

Trying to decide whether my husband will divorce me if I put E in a little England kit for the match tonight...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Trying to decide whether my husband will divorce me if I put E in a little England kit for the match tonight...
Do it she whispers softly 😂

Me and Mr B have our first proper date day/night tomorrow and guess who feels like tit 🙋🏼‍♀️ had all the kids off this week because they’ve all been ill. I need a night off, but I always need a night of sleep 🫠

• Heart
I've reached a new level of complaining.
I'm sick of complaining to my MP about the care services and lack of funding for medically complex children in our area. So I've bypassed him, and just written a 12 page email to the Health Sec.
Will it get me anywhere? Probably not?
Do I feel better, damn right I do 🤣🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Nope!
Nursery think I’m mad
eW have to make sure Everleigh gets calcium from other things. Not because of intolerance but she just flat out refuses all milks.
Only way we can get a bit of milk into her is a cup of tea 😂 which limits it greatly.
Shes been like this from around 6 months. She was originally having a night time bottle of around 4oz. But she's refused that for the past 6 months too.
We have managed it so far!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.