New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh yeah I use it with my eldest 😘 x

Even that though I find complicated so I get the invoice every month from nursery then have to workout what 80% of that is, put that in the tax free gov childcare account then set the payment up to leave it to go straight to the nursery and the gov top it up automatically
It’s a right faff! I always calculate the 80% and then when I go into my childcare account to pay nursery it’s randomly a few £ out either way and I never understand why

Reactions: 1
Stfu!!!! How much is yours a day? I’m just assuming 600, ours is 47.50 a day. Disgraceful isn’t if
No idea 😂 I think about £80 or something
I Checked out cheaper ones and one serves them biscuits every day, like party rings and bourbons and the other was the size of my living room with plastic in the night garden toys out so yeah. No thanks lol

• Wow
Reactions: 6
So we’re having some family photos taken today. I just get out the shower and KW announces he’s off out to go jogging. So now I’m trying to get ready, dry my hair, look after two kids and make breakfast. Honestly why do they pick the most inconvenient time to announce they want to go out?! Also he’s already chubby, a quick jog pre photo shoot isn’t going to make him magically thinner 😂

No idea 😂 I think about £80 or something
I Checked out cheaper ones and one serves them biscuits every day, like party rings and bourbons and the other was the size of my living room with plastic in the night garden toys out so yeah. No thanks lol
£60 a day here. I have two kids 🙃🙃🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 11
In other news, these babies know how to pick their moments don’t they? Sorry if TMI but I had a bit of a dodgy stomach this morning so popped baby Cupcake on the landing while I was sat on the loo and he chose this exact moment to crawl properly for the first time (at speed, towards the top of the stairs!) had to shout KW out of bed because I couldn’t get off the loo but was scared he would tumble down the stairs 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Honestly I am shocked that childcare is so expensive and they’re just allowed to charge it 🤣 the cheek 🤣

ETA: baby is still asleep 😳 he’s been asleep since 7.50pm. One bottle at 4am and he’s still snoozing now 😳 so I leave him. Do I wake him? Our entire routine will be thrown out now as he’s usually up between 6 and 7🫠. He’s been having bigger bottles so maybe that’s helped? idk. I can hear his breathing tho so that’s good 😅.

Last edited:
Do you do the tax free childcare?
Having a bit of a standoff with this, we’ll technically need to pay the fees twice in one month to get it going and mr Waka said to use my savings, but I refused so I’m waiting for him to save £750 for his half before I do it. Sick of my savings being used to bail us out

The cost of childcare leaves me with practically nothing after other bills etc, but I prefer having a little bit of sanity so I'm defo going back to work 😅

I feel like you really get what you pay for though. My daughter had the most amazing childminder, she was like a mum away from home for her, and while her prices were astronomical, it was worth every penny. My 8yo still talks about her to this day!

Likewise the 3yo is in an amazing nursery and preschool who are pricey, but he's come on SO much during his time there and I have no worries at all about Arnie joining his nursery in Jan, which is not so long away 😭

Reactions: 7
The cost of childcare leaves me with practically nothing after other bills etc, but I prefer having a little bit of sanity so I'm defo going back to work 😅

I feel like you really get what you pay for though. My daughter had the most amazing childminder, she was like a mum away from home for her, and while her prices were astronomical, it was worth every penny. My 8yo still talks about her to this day!

Likewise the 3yo is in an amazing nursery and preschool who are pricey, but he's come on SO much during his time there and I have no worries at all about Arnie joining his nursery in Jan, which is not so long away 😭
You’re right as much as I moaned and cried about nursery at the start, I literally just sat cooking watching during her settle sessions, I do have to say she’s learnt so much. New words, is confident to walk away from me in group sessions, new skills
I wouldn’t choose 4 days in an ideal world but I’ve upped the cosleeping for that extra bit of bonding

• Heart
Reactions: 6
You’re right as much as I moaned and cried about nursery at the start, I literally just sat cooking watching during her settle sessions, I do have to say she’s learnt so much. New words, is confident to walk away from me in group sessions, new skills
I wouldn’t choose 4 days in an ideal world but I’ve upped the cosleeping for that extra bit of bonding
100%! She'll thank you so much for it when she's older. I stayed at home with my mum until I started primary and I'm so socially awkward and have major confidence issues, but my two who gave been in childcare since babies are totally different, outgoing and so confident and I couldn't be more glad ❤

(Not that there's anything wrong with being at home for longer, i probably would have turned out that way anyway 😅🤣)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
With the 30 free hours childcare, does it start from when they’re 3 until they start reception? So Baby Rose is a June baby so she’ll turn 3 in June 2024 and start reception in September 2025, so she’ll only get a year of it, whereas if shed been born the October before (so same school year) she’d turn 3 in October 2023 but still not start reception until September 2025,l (early babies are almost 5 when they start whereas late babies haven’t long turned 4) so we’d get almost 2 years of it. Is that right?

Not baby things but I did get a Zara dress I wanted for 40% off 🤣
Yer, so 3yo was born early September, but doesn’t qualify for 30hrs until January 🫠 my eldest is June, but they didn’t have 30 hrs then, just the bog standard 15, and she got them in the September following her 3rd birthday. She went to a school nursery then

Just to add, the 30 hours a week, if you were born in
- September, October, November, December 30hrs are from Janu
- January, February March, you won’t be able to take up the 30 hrs until April (so the term after Easter)
- Mid April (depends when Easter falls), May, June, July, you will qualify from September

Hope this makes sense and I hope someone else has explained it better 😂😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Not related to babies at all. More the 4yo.
She's supposed to be on 4 weeks of antibiotics after 3 weeks of IVs and being in hospital.
We're on week 3.
Just got another box out as we have to make it up with boiled water.
Box that was at the BOTTOM of the bag, has a label that says "Use first". Which was turned inwards against the other boxes anyway 😑
Which has a use by date of the day she started her antibiotics 😑
So now we're a bottle short. This last bottle will last 5 days and she needs it for another 9 😑😑

Sorry, rant over. Had constant issues with them all and thought we were past all that 😑

• Sad
  • Wow
Honestly I am shocked that childcare is so expensive and they’re just allowed to charge it 🤣 the cheek 🤣

ETA: baby is still asleep 😳 he’s been asleep since 7.50pm. One bottle at 4am and he’s still snoozing now 😳 so I leave him. Do I wake him? Our entire routine will be thrown out now as he’s usually up between 6 and 7🫠. He’s been having bigger bottles so maybe that’s helped? idk. I can hear his breathing tho so that’s good 😅.
Make the most my friend ☺ I know what you mean though, on the odd occasion Baby Cupcake wakes after 6 I’m like well wtf do I do now, what time are naps, bottles etc?! Such a minefield 😂

Reactions: 2
100%! She'll thank you so much for it when she's older. I stayed at home with my mum until I started primary and I'm so socially awkward and have major confidence issues, but my two who gave been in childcare since babies are totally different, outgoing and so confident and I couldn't be more glad ❤

(Not that there's anything wrong with being at home for longer, i probably would have turned out that way anyway 😅🤣)
I was in a nursery from 1 and I was so shy and quiet.
I had no idea how to make friends 😂
Infact, my first friend, (which I remember doing so clearly at 4) I only made because she let me borrow her sharpener, I sharpened my crayon in it and the crayon snapped. So I threw her sharpener in the bin in a panic and denied all knowledge of using it 😂
It meant she kept talking to me and ended up friends because she wouldn't leave me alone about her sharpener 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8

100000% agree with this, worth it for the sanity alone! Plus the development is huge. She already now knows if she’s done a poo or has a heavy nappy to go and get her changing mat and lay on it, and she’s started getting it out when she wants a nap because the older kids have nap mats at nursery. She’ll (try) and put her socks, shoes and coat on and will now wipe her own face after dinner. We haven’t taught her any of that specifically, she’s picked it up at nursery 🤷🏼‍♀️ (Sorry, sounds like a boring proud mum post lol but I do think nursery is worth the money, just that the funding needs to be more flexible)

• Heart
Reactions: 14
For any of you in London was is the amount you roughly have to pay for childcare? It’s our dream to move back to London but I’m worried the fees are worse than they are in NZ! (When my baby starts I’ll be paying around £1500 a month for both kids full time, this reduces when my eldest is 3 as well)

I was in a nursery from 1 and I was so shy and quiet.
I had no idea how to make friends 😂
Infact, my first friend, (which I remember doing so clearly at 4) I only made because she let me borrow her sharpener, I sharpened my crayon in it and the crayon snapped. So I threw her sharpener in the bin in a panic and denied all knowledge of using it 😂
It meant she kept talking to me and ended up friends because she wouldn't leave me alone about her sharpener 😂😂😂
This has made me lol!!!

I think it is 100% child dependent. None of my kids have gone to nursery, and while they are shy, that is just their temperament (take after their dad and his family) but are perfectly well adjusted. The most forward of them all is ToddlerMe, who will happily go away from me and play at toddler groups etc, which none of the others ever did. All raised the same, just different personalities.

For any of you in London was is the amount you roughly have to pay for childcare? It’s our dream to move back to London but I’m worried the fees are worse than they are in NZ! (When my baby starts I’ll be paying around £1500 a month for both kids full time, this reduces when my eldest is 3 as well)
i checked north london as that’s where I used to work and it was the same price as I pay just outside of london. £1,500 for 4 days.
the cheaper ones reflected the price (small, outdated resources, lots of plastic toys, decorated in bright primary colours or tv characters on walls, displays tatty)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.