New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any tips on how to get your little one to nap in their bassinet and not on me 🙈 she's fine from being put down and napping fine to absolutely screaming the house down, she's 8 weeks old and will only sleep on me, I have a carrier which is fine but not practical all the time as I have a 2 year old and he needs my attention and cuddles aswel, I've tried the swing, the basasinet on her front, back in the pram not sure what else I can do help!!! All suggestions welcomed xx edit to say she is fine at night goes down really well and wakes up once but the day time she's a different child

Doesn’t always work but this is what I’ve been doing with my 6 week old and naps have improved massively.

Baby must be asleep, use plug in heat mat to warm mattress of Moses basket/crib, YouTube playing sushing baby noises, swaddle

All of these things help him settle and sleep for about an hour independently. Wish it was longer but its better than nothing at this stage 😊

Reactions: 2
Interested to know...if baby (11 weeks) wakes from a nap and is just quietly chilling in their basket looking around and smiling to themselves would you leave them to it for a bit or do they want stimulation? Atm I'm just besottedly staring at her as normally she wakes from a nap crying for milk lol so this is new to me. It's been about 10 mins and sometimes her eyes start to close as if she's about to sleep again but then she sort of wakes herself up again!
I'd leave them. You'll soon know if they're bored 😊

Reactions: 1
Doesn’t always work but this is what I’ve been doing with my 6 week old and naps have improved massively.

Baby must be asleep, use plug in heat mat to warm mattress of Moses basket/crib, YouTube playing sushing baby noises, swaddle

All of these things help him settle and sleep for about an hour independently. Wish it was longer but its better than nothing at this stage 😊
Thanks my dear will get one ordered, will have to try a hot water bottle to warm it today great idea though thanks

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your little one to nap in their bassinet and not on me 🙈 she's fine from being put down and napping fine to absolutely screaming the house down, she's 8 weeks old and will only sleep on me, I have a carrier which is fine but not practical all the time as I have a 2 year old and he needs my attention and cuddles aswel, I've tried the swing, the basasinet on her front, back in the pram not sure what else I can do help!!! All suggestions welcomed xx edit to say she is fine at night goes down really well and wakes up once but the day time she's a different child
Not helpful but my boy is 16 weeks and I have the same problem. He only naps on me or lying in bed with me (which means I can’t do anything during the day! I’m posting this while lying in bed with him 😬) As soon as I put him down in his crib while asleep he wakes and cries within seconds.

I litterally could have written this myself! My LO is 8 weeks old today and is doing exactly the same. Every nap time during the day I go through a constant cycle of her screaming until she goes to sleep and then trying to put her down until she stays down (usually takes 3 or 4 goes!). We've tried everything but I've just accepted now that she'll only stay asleep if she wants to 🙃 She is a different baby at night too, feeds once or twice and goes back into her moses basket straight away, I can even put her down whilst she's only half asleep and she will go off to sleep herself which would NEVER happen in the day time! Obviously not complaining as I'm so lucky she's good at night but it just baffles me every time😅

Oh my days, baby is teething and also got a cold which has literally appeared in the last few hours. It’s gonna be a loooooooong night 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 3
This was us, we got gaviscon and it worked but I only gave it twice a day, you can give it up to 6 times but can cause constipation ans it's a pain to give breastfed babies, we had to syringe it into her and I used to get it spat in my face 🤣Eventually I went to just one at night and now none at all. The screaming has stopped with the reflux but like your wee one she is still SO sick. We have about 6 outfit changes a day no joke 🤣 spoke to a lactation consultant (hannah is exclusively breast fed aswell) and she was actually there when she was sick and said it all looked pretty normal and it wasn't as much as you think it is. Same with the health visitor as again Hannah never lost any weight, infact she was gaining really well and they've basically said its just an immature valve in her stomach. Does your wee one scream when they are being sick too?
I also try to keep her upright for 30 mins after a feed!
Ah sorry to hear you’ve been through it too! It’s so distressing when they are sick as she gets so upset and then wants to feed again and then it’s just a constant cycle of sicking and eating 🙈 as well as her I’ve never had to change my own clothes so often!

Sick can often look like a lot because of how it spreads. I saw an example once which was a 5ml calpol type syringe of milk dropped on the floor and it looked like absolutely loads! Far more than it actually was. So while being sick is not very nice (especially when you and they end up needing changed 😬) I think it would be rare for a baby to bring up a whole feed.

Sine she is breastfed there is a line of thought that reflux is actually a symptom of a breastfeeding issue. Commonly it’s to do with latch, and baby takes in too much air which then forces its way back out, bringing sick with it. First thing I would do in your shoes is really make sure every latch is a good one, right back to basics. It’ll certainly do no harm to chat with your GP either, but they are so quick to prescribe gaviscon which is hard to get in to bf babies, and can sometimes just mask the symptoms rather than sorting the true issue.

Crying in the evenings must be horrendous for you all ❤❤❤

AMAZING 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thank you! I think you are totally right on the latching thing, am sure I can hear her gulping down air when she feeds so I’m sure this is part of the problem. She is a very burp-y baby - her burps honestly sound like adult ones 😂 she was quite sick again tonight and then cried loads and then was fine 🤷‍♀️ so I don’t think she’s going hungry!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Ah sorry to hear you’ve been through it too! It’s so distressing when they are sick as she gets so upset and then wants to feed again and then it’s just a constant cycle of sicking and eating 🙈 as well as her I’ve never had to change my own clothes so often!

Thank you! I think you are totally right on the latching thing, am sure I can hear her gulping down air when she feeds so I’m sure this is part of the problem. She is a very burp-y baby - her burps honestly sound like adult ones 😂 she was quite sick again tonight and then cried loads and then was fine 🤷‍♀️ so I don’t think she’s going hungry!
My son was shocking for gulping in air the first few weeks and I was doing everything to try and fix the latch to stop it. Because surely there has to be a bit that is letting the air in not properly sealed? But I couldn’t figure out HOW to fix it because I couldn’t see the problem, and no matter what I did he was taking in air, like your daughter you could hear it gurgling down as he drank. It did stop on its own, so fingers crossed it stops for you ASAP.

This was us, we got gaviscon and it worked but I only gave it twice a day, you can give it up to 6 times but can cause constipation ans it's a pain to give breastfed babies, we had to syringe it into her and I used to get it spat in my face 🤣Eventually I went to just one at night and now none at all. The screaming has stopped with the reflux but like your wee one she is still SO sick. We have about 6 outfit changes a day no joke 🤣 spoke to a lactation consultant (hannah is exclusively breast fed aswell) and she was actually there when she was sick and said it all looked pretty normal and it wasn't as much as you think it is. Same with the health visitor as again Hannah never lost any weight, infact she was gaining really well and they've basically said its just an immature valve in her stomach. Does your wee one scream when they are being sick too?
I also try to keep her upright for 30 mins after a feed!
Just to say I didn’t know your lo was called Hannah ❤ I absolutely adore her name! I always think it’s such a pretty name, and any Hannah I’ve ever known is always so happy and smily!

So just need to get this out and written down. Since I last posted my baby has had 3 more seizures. One was at nursery pick up for my toddler and resulted in me sitting on the grass in front of all the collecting parents with her in the recovery position deep asleep (she basically passes out after the seizures). I am eschausted. I have been at a and e with her twice yesterday. I am so on edge that these seizures could come at any moment and Ive got myself signed off work until Friday as dont feel I can put her into nursery again until we have a run of a few days seizure free. Ive got an appt with a private dr on Thursday.
I am riddled with guilt about work, about my anxiety towards the baby, I feel guilty I don’t want to be alone with her and I’m terrified to go out with her.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
So just need to get this out and written down. Since I last posted my baby has had 3 more seizures. One was at nursery pick up for my toddler and resulted in me sitting on the grass in front of all the collecting parents with her in the recovery position deep asleep (she basically passes out after the seizures). I am eschausted. I have been at a and e with her twice yesterday. I am so on edge that these seizures could come at any moment and Ive got myself signed off work until Friday as dont feel I can put her into nursery again until we have a run of a few days seizure free. Ive got an appt with a private dr on Thursday.
I am riddled with guilt about work, about my anxiety towards the baby, I feel guilty I don’t want to be alone with her and I’m terrified to go out with her.
That sounds horrendous :cry: It must be so hard for you all. Please don't feel guilty about anything, anyone in your position would do exactly the same! Hope you manage to get some answers on Thursday, keep us updated x

Oh my goodness I’m so sorry you’re going through this at the minute. Can’t imagine how you are feeling 😞 I really hope this appt on Thursday will help. Your poor baby, sending lots of love xxx

I can’t believe a&e allowed you to go home twice with a child who has been having repeated seizures. I’m so sorry you and your family are going through this, you must be so exhausted with worry ❤

My son was shocking for gulping in air the first few weeks and I was doing everything to try and fix the latch to stop it. Because surely there has to be a bit that is letting the air in not properly sealed? But I couldn’t figure out HOW to fix it because I couldn’t see the problem, and no matter what I did he was taking in air, like your daughter you could hear it gurgling down as he drank. It did stop on its own, so fingers crossed it stops for you ASAP.

Just to say I didn’t know your lo was called Hannah ❤ I absolutely adore her name! I always think it’s such a pretty name, and any Hannah I’ve ever known is always so happy and smily!
Thank you 💞 I'm very lucky that for the most part she is a happy contented baby!

Yes exactly this! I thought her latch was okay as I also can’t see any gaps and it looks fine to my (untrained) eye. So good to hear your son’s resolved itself, maybe it’s just their tiny mouths needing to grow a bit!

@Chickenandgravy also love the name Hannah! my best friend is one ❤

• Heart
Yes exactly this! I thought her latch was okay as I also can’t see any gaps and it looks fine to my (untrained) eye. So good to hear your son’s resolved itself, maybe it’s just their tiny mouths needing to grow a bit!

@Chickenandgravy also love the name Hannah! my best friend is one ❤
I honestly even tried basically squishing his face in to my boob to try and plug any gap and stop the air in 🤣 lucky the poor fella didn’t suffocate on a face full of boob

I was thinking about you today hoping things were better. I’m so sorry you’re going through this, hopefully they can figure out what’s going on soon and get her help. Sending you love and strength🧡

Aww my little one is called Hannah, it’s my favourite name. She’s always happy and smiley ☺💕

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you all for being so lovely. I honestly feel like my life is drama after drama right now. Baby is doing so much better than when we were admitted and we had the feeding tube. She’s only taking 30-60ml most feeds but she’s actually feeding which is a huge positive.
@Definitelyme we are now at 5 seizures in the space of 8 days. I have to reassure myself them sending us home means they don’t think it’s life threatening or damaging for her.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.