New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Would welcome any thoughts/advice - baby girl usually falls asleep around 9/10. Sometimes she’ll sleep through until 5ish, sometimes she wakes 2-4 times between going to bed and 9am. When she wakes she feeds for 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep. Do you think I should be waking her to feed for longer or just be grateful she only wakes for a little while before going back to sleep?

@LilyRose1234 @Chickenandgravy has given perfect info there.
For remembering how long it can stay I. Places remember 5,5,5 - 5hrs at room temp, 5 days in the fridge, 5 months in the freezer (some say 6 and I’d agree but 555 is easier to remember 🤣🤣🤣)

If you’re exclusively breastfeeding you don’t need to sterilise it at all. Wash in hot soapy water and that’s enough.
Thank you both, super helpful!!! 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Would welcome any thoughts/advice - baby girl usually falls asleep around 9/10. Sometimes she’ll sleep through until 5ish, sometimes she wakes 2-4 times between going to bed and 9am. When she wakes she feeds for 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep. Do you think I should be waking her to feed for longer or just be grateful she only wakes for a little while before going back to sleep?
I've never woken to feed. If they're asleep, they're asleep.
As long as they're not losing weight, there's no need to wake them or make them feed more 😊😊

Reactions: 3
I totally agree with @WhatABore

Waking frequently is, unfortunately, normal, and it depends on a million little things, not just how much they’ve fed. I’m always happy enough to do lots of wake ups if they are short and sweet (I find hours awake during the night much more difficult to handle, leading me to be a total rager the next day 🤣)

Waking frequently is, unfortunately, normal, and it depends on a million little things, not just how much they’ve fed. I’m always happy enough to do lots of wake ups if they are short and sweet (I find hours awake during the night much more difficult to handle, leading me to be a total rager the next day 🤣)
Daughters been sleeping 7pm-4/5am but last night? Nooo. Awake at 10. 12. 1. 3 and 4.30. Then didn't go back to sleep.
So I've been up since 4.30.
Partner then has the cheek to complain he's tired because he watched a film before eventually going to sleep at 3am 😑
Might swap him and I'll sleep on the sofa 😑

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thought I’d mention that as I know some of you are struggling with newborns like me.

This heat pad has made a massive difference to settling baby after nightfeeds. I put it in his next to me crib while he is out of it being bathed/fed etc. It doesn’t get hot as such just nice and warm. He now doesn’t startle when I lie him back down. Obviously, he never comes into contact with it!

Also, been to my first ‘Hartbeeps’ class this morning. I’m not as overly social person but the class was excellent. Well worth a look if any of you are considering one.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Thought I’d mention that as I know some of you are struggling with newborns like me.

This heat pad has made a massive difference to settling baby after nightfeeds. I put it in his next to me crib while he is out of it being bathed/fed etc. It doesn’t get hot as such just nice and warm. He know doesn’t startle when I lie him back down. Obviously, he never comes into contact with it!

Also, been to my first ‘Hartbeeps’ class this morning. I’m not as overly social person but the class was excellent. Well worth a look if any of you are considering one.
This is such a good idea!

I’m not too fussed about the wakeups, I guess it’s a normal part of having a baby, but equally wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting her up just for the sake of it 🤣🤣

This heat pad has made a massive difference to settling baby after nightfeeds. I put it in his next to me crib while he is out of it being bathed/fed etc. It doesn’t get hot as such just nice and warm. He now doesn’t startle when I lie him back down. Obviously, he never comes into contact with it!

We did Hartbeeps near us but I wasn't a big fan! I think it was mainly because the teachers were a bit dull and the venue was massive and was difficult to hear anything. Just got back from Gymboree, which we really love! It is pricey though.

I’m not too fussed about the wakeups, I guess it’s a normal part of having a baby, but equally wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting her up just for the sake of it 🤣🤣
I keep telling myself this, but we are fast approaching 9 months and still on mulitple wake ups a night. We had got down to one wake up/feed but teething and tummy bug put a spanner in the works. Been feeling really disheartened with how bad the sleep feels, I perhaps naively thought it would be ok at 9 months ! I think it's knowing I'm back to work next month is playing on my mind also and I'm worrying about feeling this tired and having to be in work for before 7.30 each day.

• Heart
TMI post alert-

Oh dang, just went to poop and it was a struggle. Honestly been fine in this department since the birth but this one wasn’t great. And then there was blood :/ I’ve had a google and it’s pretty normal and should just clear up on its own. Anyone got any experience of this?

• Heart
TMI post alert-

Oh dang, just went to poop and it was a struggle. Honestly been fine in this department since the birth but this one wasn’t great. And then there was blood :/ I’ve had a google and it’s pretty normal and should just clear up on its own. Anyone got any experience of this?
Not the blood, defo keep an eye on that. But when my eldest was about 3 weeks I was in agony and honestly it was as bad as some parts of labour 😩 I think that we are so worried about the first poo we then don’t keep up with fibre etc after that one. Prunes are your friend.

TMI post alert-

Do you have haemorrhoids? It could be they've maybe cut? I had this during pregnancy and after birth. If not, then keep your eye on it and mention to your GP! Best to be safe ❤

Reactions: 1
TMI post alert-

Probably haemorrhoids! I suffered terribly during 3rd trimester and still get them now. Get some anusol from the pharmacy/amazon and use 2-3 times a day! Also fybrogel helps to soften them a bit to stop any straining.

Not the blood, defo keep an eye on that. But when my eldest was about 3 weeks I was in agony and honestly it was as bad as some parts of labour 😩 I think that we are so worried about the first poo we then don’t keep up with fibre etc after that one. Prunes are your friend.
yeah I don’t think I’ve drank enough water the last couple of days so I think that’s my problem.

Do you have haemorrhoids? It could be they've maybe cut? I had this during pregnancy and after birth. If not, then keep your eye on it and mention to your GP! Best to be safe ❤
I haven’t had them but I think I do now! I’ll keep an eye on it thank you :)

Probably haemorrhoids! I suffered terribly during 3rd trimester and still get them now. Get some anusol from the pharmacy/amazon and use 2-3 times a day! Also fybrogel helps to soften them a bit to stop any straining.
Oh ok yes my husband said about anusol and popped straight to the shop so I’ll use that when he’s back. I’m glad you’ve also recommended it.

Reactions: 4
Has anyone else's baby been through a weird stage with men?
Both my daughters have now. I think my second was a bit later on.
But at 5 months now, Everleigh literally screamssss when she looks at either of her grandads 😂
Don't know if it's a normal baby thing or what.
Because I don't remember my son doing it.

But at 5 months now, Everleigh literally screamssss when she looks at either of her grandads 😂
totally unrelated but I didn’t know you’d called your baby Everleigh. I love that name, so beautiful x

Yes! My eldest girl HATED men. She wouldn’t go near one grandad for about 2 years!! Both of girls have been less fond of men, but the second got over it more quickly. Neither of the boys has had the same, in fact this boy seems to prefer men, he actively dislikes my mum 🤣

• Haha
I’ve been having a really bad few days with my baby, constant screaming that’s she’s hungry and then screaming when I try to feed her 😫 but today she rolled over for the first time! I nearly cried I was so proud of her and forgot how much of a pain she’s been 😂
I’m sure I’ll remember tonight when she has me up every couple of hours!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’ve got a question about baby sleeping bags. I’ve looked at the guide but just wanted to hear it from a person rather than google 😆 so I need to get a couple of bags for the winter but we live in a new build and our house is really warm. Baring in mind it’s 13 degrees outside right now, his room is 23 degrees and we’ve not had the heating on at all. I’m reluctant to buy a 2.5 tog bag incase it’s too hot for him. Would I be better with a 1/1.5 tog and a long sleeved top in the winter and if for some reason it gets absolutely freezing in my house (very slim chance) then put a sleepsuit on him as well? I’m a bit freaked about overheating him so just wondered if anyone had a bit of guidance
7E773CB7-2884-4987-8C57-166A44D13A52.jpeg

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.