New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Best advice I can give new or expectant mothers. Let family & friends know in a nice way either before or after the birth a thank you for the well wishes & you'll let them know as soon as your up for a visit.

So many arrive into the hospital and visit at home when you have a new baby. Half he time your too tired, probably not washed or dressed, housework not done, baby needs feeding or changing. Everyone wants to hold the baby. You need sleep & rest and it's perfectly understandable if you dont want unexpected visitors. Especially not ones you havent seen in years, dont really speak to or people that just want a nosey or pic for facebook

I would also say, if you want to announce your babies birth on social media. Ask others not to announce, post pics or names until you have done so first. Seen so many falling out over that

Also, you really dont need half the baby items & gadgets. You really wont use half of them. And dont buy much 0-3 month clothing. They grow out of it before 3 months & dont get to wear half of it

Get babies used.to noise. The worst thing you can do is keep extra quiet, tiptoe & whisper. You just get the baby used to silence & they will wake easier at the slightest sounds. Keep the noise levels, voices, tv, music etc as you always do, so they are used to it from day one

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Best advice I can give new or expectant mothers. Let family & friends know in a nice way either before or after the birth a thank you for the well wishes & you'll let them know as soon as your up for a visit.

So many arrive into the hospital and visit at home when you have a new baby. Half he time your too tired, probably not washed or dressed, housework not done, baby needs feeding or changing. Everyone wants to hold the baby. You need sleep & rest and it's perfectly understandable if you dont want unexpected visitors. Especially not ones you havent seen in years, dont really speak to or people that just want a nosey or pic for facebook

I would also say, if you want to announce your babies birth on social media. Ask others not to announce, post pics or names until you have done so first. Seen so many falling out over that

Also, you really dont need half the baby items & gadgets. You really wont use half of them. And dont buy much 0-3 month clothing. They grow out of it before 3 months & dont get to wear half of it

Get babies used.to noise. The worst thing you can do is keep extra quiet, tiptoe & whisper. You just get the baby used to silence & they will wake easier at the slightest sounds. Keep the noise levels, voices, tv, music etc as you always do, so they are used to it from day one
I think the 0-3 clothing is all dependant of baby size.
My second was straight into 0-3 from birth and grew out of it at 2 months.
But this time, she's almost 5 months and only just growing out of it. She's currently in a 0-3 sleepsuit

Reactions: 5
But this time, she's almost 5 months and only just growing out of it. She's currently in a 0-3 sleepsuit
All of mine grew out of 0-3 months by 2 months. Half the gorgeous outfits didnt get worn

Reactions: 1
Hello, first time posting here for me :) baby is 3 days old and he’s gorgeous and doing well in so many ways. Unfortunately his cord is infected by the looks of things. I’ve contacted the midwife office and am hoping for a call back but the waiting is annoying. Need him seen today and don’t know what to do in the mean time. I might give it to 12 and call 111 if I don’t hear off a midwife. I want him getting treated today.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Hello, first time posting here for me :) baby is 3 days old and he’s gorgeous and doing well in so many ways. Unfortunately his cord is infected by the looks of things. I’ve contacted the midwife office and am hoping for a call back but the waiting is annoying. Need him seen today and don’t know what to do in the mean time. I might give it to 12 and call 111 if I don’t hear off a midwife. I want him getting treated today.
Congratulations. Hope he gets seen. Maybe phone your GP and ask if there is anything you can do while waiting to be seen. If your really not happy, get to emergency room

Congratulations. Hope he gets seen. Maybe phone your GP and ask if there is anything you can do while waiting to be seen. If your really not happy, get to emergency room
Thank you. Unfortunately GP is closed, trying to get through to 111 to see if I can see one out of hours locally.

• Sad
I agree. My boy is just over 3 months and just this weekend has pretty much out grown his 0-3 clothes. Still fits in his 0-3 rompers though! He’s pretty slim on the 9th centile.

He’s got a decent amount of 3-6 clothes but think I might just focus on 6-9 so he gets some wear even though he’ll look like a sack of potatoes but length wise 3-6 he’ll probs outgrow them soon!

I’m glad I didn’t waste loads of money on newborn/first month size clothes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
How are you feeling @Kitt
Day 3 hormones and lack of sleep have kicked in. Feel like I’ve failed him already with his infected cord. And just feel useless that I’m just sat waiting for help and can’t actively do anything for him and he might be in pain and I can’t do anything

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Day 3 hormones and lack of sleep have kicked in. Feel like I’ve failed him already with his infected cord. And just feel useless that I’m just sat waiting for help and can’t actively do anything for him and he might be in pain and I can’t do anything
Don't feel like that. It happens to lots of babies. Lots of cuddles for now. Maybe a plain warm bath with no soap etc so he can feel soothed and settled. Even get in with him. You have done nothing wrong. He will be totally fine. He's going to get infections, cuts, bruises, bangs. It's completely normal. Ask a close family member or friend to pop.around for an hour or 2 so you can get a bit of sleep. You will feel great after it & more focused. Sending big hugs x

Reactions: 2
Aw ❤ Please don't feel that way. Easier said than done I know!
It happens a lot of the time! You did nothing wrong ❤

Big congratulations hope the birth went well, nice to see you over here xx

Don't feel like that, it's nothing you did 💗 my wee ones went infected 2 days before it fell off, turns out it's supposed to be outside the nappy 🙈 I had been putting it inside.

Also mother of the year award goes to me this morning....parrot (he's not a huge one) misjudged landing on my head and instead landed on my wee ones head 😭😭 she cried for all of two seconds and he's scratched her a wee bit but I feel TERRIBLE 😭
Think the parrot got more of a fright than my daughter and has been sooking up to her and trying to preen her hair since 🤣

• Haha
Don't feel like that, it's nothing you did 💗 my wee ones went infected 2 days before it fell off, turns out it's supposed to be outside the nappy 🙈 I had been putting it inside.

Also mother of the year award goes to me this morning....parrot (he's not a huge one) misjudged landing on my head and instead landed on my wee ones head 😭😭 she cried for all of two seconds and he's scratched her a wee bit but I feel TERRIBLE 😭
Think the parrot got more of a fright than my daughter and has been sooking up to her and trying to preen her hair since 🤣
This is something with the cord that nobody ever tells you!
I only started putting it on the outside because when I was in hospital with my first and they were doing the usual newborn tests, they put his nappy back on and folded it down.
So I just presumed it was supposed to be like that.
Nobody told me otherwise when I was putting it over it to start with!

This is something with the cord that nobody ever tells you!
I only started putting it on the outside because when I was in hospital with my first and they were doing the usual newborn tests, they put his nappy back on and folded it down.
So I just presumed it was supposed to be like that.
Nobody told me otherwise when I was putting it over it to start with!
You would think that would be quite important to tell people aswell!

Reactions: 5
Has anyone found after you give birthz the nurses & midwifes can be quite pushy toget you to breastfeed, even if you state you will be bottle feeding

Reactions: 3
My 6 week old seems to be napping longer/more frequently during the day. When do you start to worry? Plenty wet/dirty nappies etc

Thank you. Unfortunately GP is closed, trying to get through to 111 to see if I can see one out of hours locally.
I contacted maternity triage when baby was so young. Might be worth a try as they’re more likely to respond at any time?

Has anyone found after you give birthz the nurses & midwifes can be quite pushy toget you to breastfeed, even if you state you will be bottle feeding
Some of them can and then you find total gems who fully support you. With my first I pumped for 2 months but with this one I moved to formula a week in and had an amazing midwife who fully supported the decision for my family and our situation. My dad was in icu with covid and we were all self isolating and I just couldn’t handle also feeding the baby myself all the time.

I've never had them push at all. Even with my first.
I know some can be though

My 6 week old seems to be napping longer/more frequently during the day. When do you start to worry? Plenty wet/dirty nappies etc
They sleep between 16 and 18 hours a day at that age. Is it more than that?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.