New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a question about baby sleeping bags. I’ve looked at the guide but just wanted to hear it from a person rather than google 😆 so I need to get a couple of bags for the winter but we live in a new build and our house is really warm. Baring in mind it’s 13 degrees outside right now, his room is 23 degrees and we’ve not had the heating on at all. I’m reluctant to buy a 2.5 tog bag incase it’s too hot for him. Would I be better with a 1/1.5 tog and a long sleeved top in the winter and if for some reason it gets absolutely freezing in my house (very slim chance) then put a sleepsuit on him as well? I’m a bit freaked about overheating him so just wondered if anyone had a bit of guidanceView attachment 761767
I use a midweight Ergobaby sleeping bag at the mo and this is the chart that came with it, I found it more helpful than the ones I had seen before 😊

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve got a question about baby sleeping bags. I’ve looked at the guide but just wanted to hear it from a person rather than google 😆 so I need to get a couple of bags for the winter but we live in a new build and our house is really warm. Baring in mind it’s 13 degrees outside right now, his room is 23 degrees and we’ve not had the heating on at all. I’m reluctant to buy a 2.5 tog bag incase it’s too hot for him. Would I be better with a 1/1.5 tog and a long sleeved top in the winter and if for some reason it gets absolutely freezing in my house (very slim chance) then put a sleepsuit on him as well? I’m a bit freaked about overheating him so just wondered if anyone had a bit of guidanceView attachment 761767
That sounds like a good plan. You can always add more layers to a thin one

Reactions: 1
Would you like to know a fail safe way to get my baby to wake up? Make me a cup of tea. It’s like he can sense it.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I live in a similar property - we never have to have the heating on - it's not been used in the 8 years since being built! I've found that my little one likes to be a bit snug. On the days where I've stuck rigidly to the guidelines, he's woken more. At the moment our room is similar temperature and he's in a 1 tog and light long sleeved pyjamas. When he was a newborn int he winter we did do a 2.5 tog and a sleepsuit and on the colder nights, a vest too.
I get all sleeping bags from vinted/ebay/depop, you can get some great bargains. I picked up a basically new snuz sleeping bag for £5 in 2.5 tog. I like to have a couple in each tog and just play it by ear!

Reactions: 3
Anyone had any experience with dealing with reflux? Baby is nearly 3 weeks old and she’s started being sick after every feed. This morning she’s been sick three times since 9am 🥴 she’s exclusively breast fed so I can’t really tell if it’s the whole feed or not but it’s kind of curdled so seems like it’s being partially digested. She’s putting on weight so just not sure the GP will be interested? She also cries inconsolably most evenings which I’m guessing is digestion related 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Anyone had any experience with dealing with reflux? Baby is nearly 3 weeks old and she’s started being sick after every feed. This morning she’s been sick three times since 9am 🥴 she’s exclusively breast fed so I can’t really tell if it’s the whole feed or not but it’s kind of curdled so seems like it’s being partially digested. She’s putting on weight so just not sure the GP will be interested? She also cries inconsolably most evenings which I’m guessing is digestion related 😢
Yep my baby suffered terribly with both silent reflux and then later on, huge projectile vomiting. The GP can give something to stop the vomiting, such as gaviscon. Another option would be carobel before feeds - both are a bit of a faff to give when breastfeeding though! It is normal for posseting though when they are very little. We also had weeks of the unsettled evenings.. their systems are so little, it takes them a while to adjust I think! Have a look at purple crying. Do you have a fabric sling? That used to soothe baby during those witching hours!

Reactions: 3
Yep my baby suffered terribly with both silent reflux and then later on, huge projectile vomiting. The GP can give something to stop the vomiting, such as gaviscon. Another option would be carobel before feeds - both are a bit of a faff to give when breastfeeding though! It is normal for posseting though when they are very little. We also had weeks of the unsettled evenings.. their systems are so little, it takes them a while to adjust I think! Have a look at purple crying. Do you have a fabric sling? That used to soothe baby during those witching hours!
Ah this is so helpful - thanks. It’s so hard to know what’s normal but I’ll maybe just message the GP and see what they suggest re the volume of sick because I don’t think it can be normal. We do have a fabric sling and it is truly magic - literally the only thing which will send her to sleep when she’s screaming! How is your little one now - how long did it take to resolve?

This was us, we got gaviscon and it worked but I only gave it twice a day, you can give it up to 6 times but can cause constipation ans it's a pain to give breastfed babies, we had to syringe it into her and I used to get it spat in my face 🤣Eventually I went to just one at night and now none at all. The screaming has stopped with the reflux but like your wee one she is still SO sick. We have about 6 outfit changes a day no joke 🤣 spoke to a lactation consultant (hannah is exclusively breast fed aswell) and she was actually there when she was sick and said it all looked pretty normal and it wasn't as much as you think it is. Same with the health visitor as again Hannah never lost any weight, infact she was gaining really well and they've basically said its just an immature valve in her stomach. Does your wee one scream when they are being sick too?
I also try to keep her upright for 30 mins after a feed!

Does anyone use a mamas and papas/ingenuity/bumbo seat? Are they worth it? My daughters 4.5m and she loves sitting up and nosing about the place

Does anyone use a mamas and papas/ingenuity/bumbo seat? Are they worth it? My daughters 4.5m and she loves sitting up and nosing about the place
I've got one but she's too young to be in it but have heard amazing things about them, my niece LOVED hers and got so much use out it

• Heart
We’ve never used one since our eldest, I never felt they were in a comfortable position in it, and it kind of forced them upright before they were ready. We just do floor time until they can sit up alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh my god I need to share this. So I’ve just been swimming and afterwards I went for a drink with another woman and her baby. When I was getting dressed I couldn’t find my pants so just thought sod it I’ll go commando as I’m only wearing joggers. When we got to the coffee shop her baby was needing a feed so I said I’ll go get her drink and she waited with the bags.
so there I am, stood with my baby in a carrier and I pulled my phone out my pocket to pay, ALONG WITH MY bleeping PANTS. the person behind me said ooh don’t worry I’ll get that for you, I think they realised what they were picking up when they got to the floor. When I tell you I wanted to die 😂😂😂 (they were clean pants) hahahaha whyyyyyyy did this happen to me

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Sick can often look like a lot because of how it spreads. I saw an example once which was a 5ml calpol type syringe of milk dropped on the floor and it looked like absolutely loads! Far more than it actually was. So while being sick is not very nice (especially when you and they end up needing changed 😬) I think it would be rare for a baby to bring up a whole feed.

Sine she is breastfed there is a line of thought that reflux is actually a symptom of a breastfeeding issue. Commonly it’s to do with latch, and baby takes in too much air which then forces its way back out, bringing sick with it. First thing I would do in your shoes is really make sure every latch is a good one, right back to basics. It’ll certainly do no harm to chat with your GP either, but they are so quick to prescribe gaviscon which is hard to get in to bf babies, and can sometimes just mask the symptoms rather than sorting the true issue.

Crying in the evenings must be horrendous for you all ❤❤❤

Oh my god I need to share this. So I’ve just been swimming and afterwards I went for a drink with another woman and her baby. When I was getting dressed I couldn’t find my pants so just thought sod it I’ll go commando as I’m only wearing joggers. When we got to the coffee shop her baby was needing a feed so I said I’ll go get her drink and she waited with the bags.
so there I am, stood with my baby in a carrier and I pulled my phone out my pocket to pay, ALONG WITH MY bleeping PANTS. the person behind me said ooh don’t worry I’ll get that for you, I think they realised what they were picking up when they got to the floor. When I tell you I wanted to die 😂😂😂 (they were clean pants) hahahaha whyyyyyyy did this happen to me
AMAZING 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Interested to know...if baby (11 weeks) wakes from a nap and is just quietly chilling in their basket looking around and smiling to themselves would you leave them to it for a bit or do they want stimulation? Atm I'm just besottedly staring at her as normally she wakes from a nap crying for milk lol so this is new to me. It's been about 10 mins and sometimes her eyes start to close as if she's about to sleep again but then she sort of wakes herself up again!

• Heart
Interested to know...if baby (11 weeks) wakes from a nap and is just quietly chilling in their basket looking around and smiling to themselves would you leave them to it for a bit or do they want stimulation? Atm I'm just besottedly staring at her as normally she wakes from a nap crying for milk lol so this is new to me. It's been about 10 mins and sometimes her eyes start to close as if she's about to sleep again but then she sort of wakes herself up again!
Sensible advice would be to leave her, she my go back over, gives you another few minutes, allows her some chill time…..but like you I’m a bit besotted and would probably be at the snuggles before two seconds passed 🤣

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your little one to nap in their bassinet and not on me 🙈 she's fine from being put down and napping fine to absolutely screaming the house down, she's 8 weeks old and will only sleep on me, I have a carrier which is fine but not practical all the time as I have a 2 year old and he needs my attention and cuddles aswel, I've tried the swing, the basasinet on her front, back in the pram not sure what else I can do help!!! All suggestions welcomed xx edit to say she is fine at night goes down really well and wakes up once but the day time she's a different child

• Heart
Ah this is so helpful - thanks. It’s so hard to know what’s normal but I’ll maybe just message the GP and see what they suggest re the volume of sick because I don’t think it can be normal. We do have a fabric sling and it is truly magic - literally the only thing which will send her to sleep when she’s screaming! How is your little one now - how long did it take to resolve?
The thing with the sick is I think it can look like a lot more than it is, we were told to spill just 20ml of milk to see what it looks like and it looks like loads! The vomiting for us got so bad he was vomiting between 150-250mk of milk, we'd have to change bed sheets, our clothes, sleeping bags etc. He would then drain another bottle! It was happening often. Does the sick bother them?

He is much better but has been on omeprazole since about 12 weeks old - he's now 8.5 months and we are working towards trialling taking him off it as we hope that now he's eating more, the silent reflux will have stopped. We haven't seen him visibly bring up acid for about 6 weeks now which is great. We haven't had projectile vomiting in about 2 months either so we are hopeful. I won't lie, it's been a very difficult journey having a reflux baby, with lots of arguments with the GP and health visitor who didn't acknowledge the impact that it can have on us and of course, little one. But I'm hoping we are out the other side! It's worth mentioning to your GP for sure!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your little one to nap in their bassinet and not on me 🙈 she's fine from being put down and napping fine to absolutely screaming the house down, she's 8 weeks old and will only sleep on me, I have a carrier which is fine but not practical all the time as I have a 2 year old and he needs my attention and cuddles aswel, I've tried the swing, the basasinet on her front, back in the pram not sure what else I can do help!!! All suggestions welcomed xx
My little one didn't nap properly in his crib until over 4 months..I'd put him down in the bassinet and he'd wake within minutes. One thing that did help was swaddling but I did have to accept that his nap would be 30 mins max whereas contact ones or sling naps at that age would be 1-2 hours! Not helpful sorry, but think it's really normal when they're that little!

Does anyone have any tips on how to get your little one to nap in their bassinet and not on me 🙈 she's fine from being put down and napping fine to absolutely screaming the house down, she's 8 weeks old and will only sleep on me, I have a carrier which is fine but not practical all the time as I have a 2 year old and he needs my attention and cuddles aswel, I've tried the swing, the basasinet on her front, back in the pram not sure what else I can do help!!! All suggestions welcomed xx edit to say she is fine at night goes down really well and wakes up once but the day time she's a different child
Have you tried white noise? I know a lot of people have success with that.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.