New baby and post birth advice #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally after a week long battle with the GP they've agreed to prescribe liquid Omeprazole rather than a dissolvable tablet (that doesn't actually dissolve properly!) Hopefully this will help with LO's silent reflux. I'm not surprised they didn't want to prescribe the liquid though... £197 for 75ml 🤯
Yep it's crazy how expensive it is! We had the same battle. Hope it works for your little one!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thank you for the advice on weaning ladies 💗

Swimming was a success! No tears, he just looked completely knackered but still lots of smiles 😊 cause of covid you’re not allowed to use the lockers, stupid really, so that was annoying that I had to bring everything to poolside
I'm going to take my wee one swimming soon....but what do you put them in? Like a wetsuit type thing or a swimming costume?!

Motherhood is weird: struggled with baby this morning. Very unsettled, cluster feeding, both is us getting too hot and sweaty etc.

He has now been asleep for 3 hours and I’m just sitting here watching him and hoping he wakes soon. Partly because he needs a feed but partly because I miss him 🤦‍♀️- I blame the hormones!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Our self settling seems to have worked and we’re getting one wake up at 3ish then around 7 where I bring her in with me and we get up about 9. She will not go to sleep before 11pm though no matter how long since her last nap and will barely nap in the day at all. I’ve also got to move her back to the new big cot which is now in another room. We had to reinstate the next to me after buggering my wrist getting her out of the cot but she can crawl out of it and pull herself up so it’s overdue to move. I don’t want to though partly because we’ve just sorted her sleep I don’t want to disrupt it again, partly, selfishly, I don’t want to have to full on get up in the night to feed her and partly I’ll just miss her and want her to stay tiny.

I'm going to take my wee one swimming soon....but what do you put them in? Like a wetsuit type thing or a swimming costume?!
Some pools inc our water babies one have rules of ‘double wrapped’ which is a swim nappy and the kind of scuba material shorts over the top which have leg and waist cuffs to stop anything escaping.
We go swimming at a local pool you can hire with no rules, used a wetsuit at first but it’s pointless so just a swim nappy now. Swim nappies don’t hold wet, just solids so I will get some of those trunks as I can’t say what comes out of baby is totally solid as yet 🙈
I’ll be getting a bright colour though as this pic below of visibility in the water freaks me out!
A710C542-9A18-4F01-A449-08CC28259565.jpeg

@Upintheair83 I think it’s normal for periods to take a while but the GP can tell if you’re menopausal from a blood test usually. Might be different PP but you could always ask if you’re concerned.

Last edited:
They make you use the happy nappy, you have to put swim nappies underneath; I got the swim nappy from b&m and then the one on top from jojo maman Bebe for £11. They’re supposed to be tight but my god they are small! 6 months next week and he’s wearing the 12-24 months ones 😳

ETA some of the very small babies wore a swim top but the pool was very warm!

Lessons or just on your own? We don’t do baby lessons, so we just use a reusable swim nappy, and a short sleeve/leg wetsuit like this one. But it really depends on the water temp. If you go to one and it’s freezing you need a thicker wetsuit.

They make you use the happy nappy, you have to put swim nappies underneath; I got the swim nappy from b&m and then the one on top from jojo maman Bebe for £11. They’re supposed to be tight but my god they are small! 6 months next week and he’s wearing the 12-24 months ones 😳

Lessons or just on your own? We don’t do baby lessons, so we just use a reusable swim nappy, and a short sleeve/leg wetsuit like this one. But it really depends on the water temp. If you go to one and it’s freezing you need a thicker wetsuit.

Thank you all! I was just going to take her in my own when we go on holiday in a couple of weeks. I'll phone ahead to find the temp of the pool and the rules!
I saw a cute wetsuit with matching swim nappy but don't want to spend loads of money if I don't actually need to!

Reactions: 2
Thank you all! I was just going to take her in my own when we go on holiday in a couple of weeks. I'll phone ahead to find the temp of the pool and the rules!
I saw a cute wetsuit with matching swim nappy but don't want to spend loads of money if I don't actually need to!
I totally get that, I squeezed my son in to my older son’s old wetsuit the other week when we went swimming, and ripped it 🙈 I know my sister has some she can give me which is good as I don’t want to spend money on something that gets worn a few times and they grow out of it at this age! If I was going to get him a new one I would just get him a wee suit from next like this (he is 4mo). They aren’t as thick, but they are stretchy and seem to last longer than the age range given. I’ve only ever been in one pool so cold my eldest was blue after about 10mins!

• Heart
I totally get that, I squeezed my son in to my older son’s old wetsuit the other week when we went swimming, and ripped it 🙈 I know my sister has some she can give me which is good as I don’t want to spend money on something that gets worn a few times and they grow out of it at this age! If I was going to get him a new one I would just get him a wee suit from next like this (he is 4mo). They aren’t as thick, but they are stretchy and seem to last longer than the age range given. I’ve only ever been in one pool so cold my eldest was blue after about 10mins!

Boots online mothercare shop and in store (by us!) have a sale on swim suits at the moment… picked one up for £6 and next years one too 🤪

Reactions: 4
Boots online mothercare shop and in store (by us!) have a sale on swim suits at the moment… picked one up for £6 and next years one too 🤪
Oh that’s good to know, thanks! I tried looking at summer sale stuff in Tesco the other day but I always get flustered trying to work out what size I’ll need next year 🤣

You see I'm not breastfeeding. But I'm worried as I'm having major hot sweats at night! Im worried because mum went through early menopause at 40 and I'm 38. Could it be that? Or os it just my hormones.
I'm not breastfeeding either and mine was at 11 weeks 😊

• Heart
Glad you and lo enjoyed swimming, I’ve wanted to take mine but don’t feel brave enough yet. Which is really silly as I’m sure it would be fine and lo would love it.
We are 3 weeks into weaning, he currently eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Has dropped 2 bottles of his own accord, so we are on 5x 6oz per 24 hours. So far the food is only puréed. Not sure how or when to introduce more lumpy food.
How are people’s babies sleeping? Mine is 7 months (6 weeks early) and has good and bad nights, I see good as only waking twice- once is generally for a feed, the other time is general complaining and struggling to settle. Bad nights can be waking every hour.
thank god. Mine is 7 months too and similar. A good night here is two wake ups and being able to get her in the cot after the second one!

• Heart
My health anxiety after having Thomas is literally taking over my life

Sorry to hear that Disney- could you have a chat with a health visitor or someone similar?

It’s not the same but I’m finding myself googling every little thing he does and I’m driving myself mad!

Sorry to hear that Disney- could you have a chat with a health visitor or someone similar?

It’s not the same but I’m finding myself googling every little thing he does and I’m driving myself mad!
I think its because of the Sarah harding story in the news, and I had a friend that unfortunately passed away at the age of just 29, leaving her 1 year old girl and husband behind, I am just terrified somethings wrong

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Sending love. If it’s very bad, please speak to your HV or GP and reach out for help. Anxiety doesn’t have to take over your life, there are things there which can help you.

For anyone who wants to, themovementmama on Instagram had a lot about post partum anxiety this week, so may be worth checking out. I’d recommend her anyway for general tips on gross motor development.

Reactions: 4

I had PN anxiety and this was one of the things I was constantly doing - I worked on this in some therapy sessions that I did when I was diagnosed with PND and anxiety. The googling was taking over my life!

Please do reach out to HV/GP. Another option is to refer yourself to your local IAPT team, you will be fast tracked as you have a baby. Doing it was the best thing I did and helped me break the cycle of a lot of behaviours and thoughts around my baby's health. I only had 8 sessions but they were gamechanging.

Reactions: 5
I need a bit of advice. I’m breastfeeding my second, he’s nearly 3 weeks old. In the night he’s started struggling to feed, he’ll latch for maybe 30 seconds - 1 minute then arch his back, unlatch and really scream but then he starts rooting. This can go on for hours. We assumed gas to have been using infacol and burping as much as possible but today it happened during the day and I was feeding from about 10am-1pm. Obviously it’s really draining and I’ve been having to pass him to my partner because I’m getting frustrated (I know it’s not his fault and he’s clearly really uncomfortable but with lack of sleep I just find I have a shorter fuse).
I asked a midwife today for some advice and was told that because he’s not a tiny baby and is a good colour she’s not concerned. She said that it’s just because he was using me as “comfort and a dummy and getting used to it” so to swaddle him, give him to his dad and let him cry. This to me seems like poor advice, he’s 3 weeks old so ignoring his feeding cues and leaving him to cry seems so cruel. I’m meant to be seeing a midwife tomorrow (potentially her) but I really don’t want to go if that’s the advice. It’s really starting to make me question whether I’m doing the right thing with breastfeeding.

• Wow
I need a bit of advice. I’m breastfeeding my second, he’s nearly 3 weeks old. In the night he’s started struggling to feed, he’ll latch for maybe 30 seconds - 1 minute then arch his back, unlatch and really scream but then he starts rooting. This can go on for hours. We assumed gas to have been using infacol and burping as much as possible but today it happened during the day and I was feeding from about 10am-1pm. Obviously it’s really draining and I’ve been having to pass him to my partner because I’m getting frustrated (I know it’s not his fault and he’s clearly really uncomfortable but with lack of sleep I just find I have a shorter fuse).
I asked a midwife today for some advice and was told that because he’s not a tiny baby and is a good colour she’s not concerned. She said that it’s just because he was using me as “comfort and a dummy and getting used to it” so to swaddle him, give him to his dad and let him cry. This to me seems like poor advice, he’s 3 weeks old so ignoring his feeding cues and leaving him to cry seems so cruel. I’m meant to be seeing a midwife tomorrow (potentially her) but I really don’t want to go if that’s the advice. It’s really starting to make me question whether I’m doing the right thing with breastfeeding.
Not an expert by any means but I'm sure someone who knows more will come along, but the unlatching and screaming with back arching sounds like reflux, we had infant gaviscon from the gp which helped my wee one, so could be worth speaking to your gp.
The feeding from 10-1 sounds a bit like cluster feeding which is totally normal aswell but it's hard going. It really sounds like horrible advice from your midwife!

Sa
Same! I have a video and will be showing my lactation consultant tomorrow x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.